The definitive sony card rewards thread - a good start to a free game or controller

[quote name='cusoman']Does anyone know if you decide to get the credit card after you've already had a Rewards account going for some time, if the points carry over or does the act of signing up for the card create a new account with a zero balance?

Basically, will my existing points on my non-Sony card account carry over when I apply for the card?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

You keep your points and account, you just add the card to the sony rewards account you own.

[quote name='CD6405']You keep your points and account, you just add the card to the sony rewards account you own.[/QUOTE]
Perfect, thanks.

Does anybody know how long it takes before you can register your Sony Card with Sony Rewards. I applied and was approved for the card tonight and wrote down all my account info, but Sony Rewards site says it doesn't have the info in their database. I was hoping to use a $10 off coupon that expires tomorrow with all my other points for a blu-ray.

[quote name='hlaalumaster9']If anyone is interested in a deal for the Sony Card, I found this:
http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/gateway/?offerlink=srjpc

You get 5,000 bonus points ($50 value) after a purchase of $149 or more and 10,000 bonus points ($100 value) if you spend more than $500 in each of the first two months. This is probably a better deal depending on your spending habits than the current Playstation Card offer, which is $50 card credit with a purchase of a PS3 $249 or more and the standard Sony Card offer, which is a $50 card credit after a purchase of $199 or more.

Those are here for reference: http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/gateway/?offerlink=sr50

Sorry if this is old news, just wanted to share.[/QUOTE]

Looks like the link changed too: http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/gateway/?offerlink=sr50b

I could be wrong, credit card fine print and all, but the offer seems to be the same? I don't see anything about the bonus points for spending a few hundred in the following months however.

[quote name='CENNY']Can't seem to find the sony vouchers anymore...[/QUOTE]

They come and go. They'll be back.

[quote name='viisual']Looks like the link changed too: http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/gateway/?offerlink=sr50b

I could be wrong, credit card fine print and all, but the offer seems to be the same? I don't see anything about the bonus points for spending a few hundred in the following months however.[/QUOTE]

The old link still works for me:
http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/gateway/?offerlink=srjpc

Is there anyway to tell if that offer is still valid? I'm not going to assume just because it is still there it still works, especially since the sign up page it takes you to doesn't reference it at all, and the only way I know of to get to it is a direct link, nothing on the Sony page references it (that I can find). I clicked on the terms and conditions page but it looks like that is just for the credit card, not the offer.

[quote name='GreyFox787']Just checked the site, and all my points are mysteriously gone...did they reset recently if you hadn't used them???[/QUOTE]

All my points are still there. There were like 1,000 bonus points given out a few months back that were time-sensitive. you can check your points history to see if that's the case.

Newooo

"The promotion period for this Sweepstakes, as well as the promotion in its entirety, ended at 11:59 p.m. ET on June 18, 2010. But stay tuned; the Jeopardy! Weekly Tournament will return in September, 2010"

No more weekly Jeopardy? That was my bread and butter. As a non card holder it's gonna take me forever to build up points without it.

[quote name='shytface']Newooo

"The promotion period for this Sweepstakes, as well as the promotion in its entirety, ended at 11:59 p.m. ET on June 18, 2010. But stay tuned; the Jeopardy! Weekly Tournament will return in September, 2010"

No more weekly Jeopardy? That was my bread and butter. As a non card holder it's gonna take me forever to build up points without it.[/QUOTE]

Looks like it coincides with the season of Jeopardy :( Damn, I didn't know Jeopardy had seasons.

[quote name='shytface']Newooo

No more weekly Jeopardy? That was my bread and butter. As a non card holder it's gonna take me forever to build up points without it.[/QUOTE]
I'm just happy it's coming back at all. You can still get the 500 points a month from the daily Jeopardy game.

Anyone know when those psn network cards are coming back on their rewards site? It was just about the only thing worth getting on there for me...

I have a Chase card and it has pretty decent rewards, but the only way to earn points is with purchases. What I do like is they'll give you $100 cash toward your bill each time you hit 10,000 points. Sony have an option like that?

I am having a little problem and any help would be appreciated.

Currently, I have enough points for a controller. When I add them to the cart, it states I can only use 500 points and I need to buy 4,165 points from the point bank and it will be charged to the credit card.

I can't use all the points to redeem the ps3 controller?

[quote name='faydoy123']I am having a little problem and any help would be appreciated.

Currently, I have enough points for a controller. When I add them to the cart, it states I can only use 500 points and I need to buy 4,165 points from the point bank and it will be charged to the credit card.

I can't use all the points to redeem the ps3 controller?[/QUOTE]

If you don't have a sony card you can only use 500 points for anything below 10,000. You can use all of your points for anything (except giftcards) for points 10,001.

[quote name='DV8']If you don't have a sony card you can only use 500 points for anything below 10,000. You can use all of your points for anything (except giftcards) for points 10,001.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha. Thanks!

i tried to read through this whole thread, but brain is fried at page 15 or so, and there are 46 pages.

question -- the OP mentions a 'work around' for the 10 blueray limit. what is the work around?

[quote name='affa']question -- the OP mentions a 'work around' for the 10 blueray limit. what is the work around?[/QUOTE]
Normally when you reach your 10th, 20th or 30th it deducts 1000 points and gives you a crap coupon. However, it won't take away points you don't have or that you have on hold. Either redeem your existing points or put them on hold using the daily/monthly giveaway. You'll get 100 points when you redeem the multiple of 10, and they'll only take away 50 or so instead of 1000.

I've never tried it with a 0 balance - I always left it at 1, so I'd lose 51 points. But you still net 49 points on those multiple of 10s, so it's not too shabby.

[quote name='Captain Console']I have a Chase card and it has pretty decent rewards, but the only way to earn points is with purchases. What I do like is they'll give you $100 cash toward your bill each time you hit 10,000 points. Sony have an option like that?[/QUOTE]
You can do a purchase credit to redeem points towards your bill for sony purchases I believe. Outside of psn cards, the best gift cards are for sonystyle. They are discounted 5% of face value. I was wondering if you bought these cards you get points for purchasing them...and then when you use them on sonystyle. Doubt it but if someone was buying a ps3 from them it would be worth a shot.

[quote name='rmb']You can do a purchase credit to redeem points towards your bill for sony purchases I believe. Outside of psn cards, the best gift cards are for sonystyle. They are discounted 5% of face value. I was wondering if you bought these cards you get points for purchasing them...and then when you use them on sonystyle. Doubt it but if someone was buying a ps3 from them it would be worth a shot.[/QUOTE]

unfortunately sonystyle stores are usually overpriced on everything, so getting the discount on the card still wouldn't be as good as just buying from amazon or the like, or even off the rewards site with wof discount+no tax lol. I worked there for a month during the holiday, the "sales" are never really that good. Occasionally you might get a steal, but not likely.

[quote name='madh83']Anyone know when those psn network cards are coming back on their rewards site? It was just about the only thing worth getting on there for me...[/QUOTE]

I was wondering this too - have they ever been off the site for this long before? I'd really like to get some more to help defray the cost of Playstation Plus - I have $18 PSN credit now, but almost have enough points for 2 more $10 cards if they were available.

[quote name='argyle']I was wondering this too - have they ever been off the site for this long before?[/QUOTE]
Yup. It's taken a month or longer sometimes in the past. Be patient - they'll come back.

Yeah, I was hoping of getting some with my rewards points to give to my friend as a birthday present, so I really hope they come back soon!

Do you get the bonus points for buying things from the Playstation store on PSN with your sony card? Basically is the playstation network considered an authorized dealer?

Sony rewards customer service wasn't too helpful as they just sent me a pasted copy of the rewards program details.

[quote name='simmias']Normally when you reach your 10th, 20th or 30th it deducts 1000 points and gives you a crap coupon. However, it won't take away points you don't have or that you have on hold. Either redeem your existing points or put them on hold using the daily/monthly giveaway. You'll get 100 points when you redeem the multiple of 10, and they'll only take away 50 or so instead of 1000.

I've never tried it with a 0 balance - I always left it at 1, so I'd lose 51 points. But you still net 49 points on those multiple of 10s, so it's not too shabby.[/QUOTE]

I'm not real sure, but I have 6000ish points. I am on my 9th blu ray and would like to register the 10th so I can watch it and send it back to netflix. Exactly how many points can you suspend on the daily/monthlly giveaways? At this juncture, am I always going to lose 1000 pts? I wasn't really sure why you only lose 50ish instead of 1000. All I could suspend on the daily giveaway was 500 pts. Thanks.

[quote name='ejm']Do you get the bonus points for buying things from the Playstation store on PSN with your sony card? Basically is the playstation network considered an authorized dealer?

Sony rewards customer service wasn't too helpful as they just sent me a pasted copy of the rewards program details.[/QUOTE]

Yeah just fill out the redemption form and print out a copy of your reciept of your psn transaction. It should be the wallet transfer receipt

I'm having trouble registering the products, do I have to sign in at the beginning with my sonyrewards id?, because its telling me its invalid.

[quote name='cule54']I'm having trouble registering the products, do I have to sign in at the beginning with my sonyrewards id?, because its telling me its invalid.[/QUOTE]

I personally registered as a guest. you then receive an email thanking you for registering, and in that email, you should have a link to claim your (500?) points.

Worked for me everytime (well 5 times)

[quote name='jughead']I'm not real sure, but I have 6000ish points. I am on my 9th blu ray and would like to register the 10th so I can watch it and send it back to netflix. Exactly how many points can you suspend on the daily/monthlly giveaways? At this juncture, am I always going to lose 1000 pts? I wasn't really sure why you only lose 50ish instead of 1000. All I could suspend on the daily giveaway was 500 pts. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
I don't know how to hold more than 2000 points at a time. Two daily giveaways and one monthly giveaway. Although the next monthly giveaway won't start for at least a week (second Monday of the month I think?). What are you saving for? I never have your problem because I just cash out for PSN $$$ whenever I can!

I'm kind of a newb when it comes to knowing about registering Blu-rays. How does that work? Is it for all Blus or just Sony? Is it done through the site, or through BD-Live? Thanks!

[quote name='ssjmichael']I'm kind of a newb when it comes to knowing about registering Blu-rays. How does that work? Is it for all Blus or just Sony? Is it done through the site, or through BD-Live? Thanks![/QUOTE]
Just Sony, and done through the BD-Live menu. Here's a good source.

And if I can make a recommendation, the first two seasons of Breaking Bad are excellent.

It sucks that the Jeopardy Weekly Tournament is gone until September. I could get $10 for PSN every 3 weeks easy with it.

[quote name='simmias']I don't know how to hold more than 2000 points at a time. Two daily giveaways and one monthly giveaway. Although the next monthly giveaway won't start for at least a week (second Monday of the month I think?). What are you saving for? I never have your problem because I just cash out for PSN $$$ whenever I can![/QUOTE]

That is what I usually do as well. There just isn't much PSN stuff I really want at the moment. I don't really know what I was saving for. Maybe a PS Move, PSP, who knows!

Coming up to 4 weeks now with the PSN vouchers not being available... longest they've been oos? Maybe it's just me being impatient, but anyone else get the sinking feeling that with the new PS+ service maybe they're not going to do them anymore?

[quote name='CENNY']Coming up to 4 weeks now with the PSN vouchers not being available... longest they've been oos? Maybe it's just me being impatient, but anyone else get the sinking feeling that with the new PS+ service maybe they're not going to do them anymore?[/QUOTE]

Big time.

[quote name='CENNY']Coming up to 4 weeks now with the PSN vouchers not being available... longest they've been oos? Maybe it's just me being impatient, but anyone else get the sinking feeling that with the new PS+ service maybe they're not going to do them anymore?[/QUOTE]
The longest I remember waiting was six weeks. Oddly enough, they're out of stock on Amazon right now, too.

I actually contacted customer support about the PSN cards, and according to them, the PSN cards will no longer be offered online...

*sigh* I guess we could order them online, and fill out the form to use the points instead... Pain, though

[quote name='Teujip']I actually contacted customer support about the PSN cards, and according to them, the PSN cards will no longer be offered online...

*sigh* I guess we could order them online, and fill out the form to use the points instead... Pain, though[/QUOTE]
Huh???

If they're done for on Sonyrewards, I'll just bite the bullet for Blockbuster gift cards and get credit that way. Fun while it lasted though, I haven't really paid for anything out of pocket for about 6 months straight now

I had a feeling they weren't coming back. I'm close to being able to get the Playstation Eye so I guess it'll make it cheaper for me to get the Move this Fall. Sad to see them go nonetheless, I paid for PS+ and a bunch of games with all that free credit :(

I have a feeling the Jeopardy weekly tournament won't come back as promised, or if it does, they won't give you 200 points just for playing.

[quote name='Teujip']I actually contacted customer support about the PSN cards, and according to them, the PSN cards will no longer be offered online...

*sigh* I guess we could order them online, and fill out the form to use the points instead... Pain, though[/QUOTE]

They said that last time too when they were contacted about them being out of stock. Just wait, they will be back.

[quote name='driver01z']Wondering if anyone can help,
I'm trying to sign up for the credit card
I go here:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...0151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644595898
I click Apply Now
It opens a new page and the only button says Exit Current Session. I assume there's supposed to be a form to fill out but there's nothing on the page. Happens in both Firefox and IE. Any suggestion?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I get the same error too, also if I try to sign up through the sony rewards website, it takes me to a link that says "new exciting sweepstakes coming Sept 17". Anyone else having trouble signing up for the card?

crossing fingers for a re-up on psn cards. I have nearly 7000 pts. I may get a move combo instead of a blockbuster GC. Still feeling out this casual gamer stuff.

[quote name='jughead']crossing fingers for a re-up on psn cards. I have nearly 7000 pts. I may get a move combo instead of a blockbuster GC. Still feeling out this casual gamer stuff.[/QUOTE]

Did they put the Move "stuff" on the rewards site already?

It's actually dazzling how poorly organized the Sony Rewards program and site are managed. There's no rhyme or reason to it. Out of Stock sometimes means never coming back. Games are listed that they don't actually have copies for, so they end up cancelling redemptions. Then a few months ago, PSN codes they sent out didn't work for several days.

If I hadn't already dealt with their poor organization long enough to get tons of free stuff, I'd probably have moved on to a cashback card, but it's still frustrating to see a good idea handled in such a haphazard way.

bread's done
Back