The definitive sony card rewards thread - a good start to a free game or controller

[quote name='berzirk']It's actually dazzling how poorly organized the Sony Rewards program and site are managed. There's no rhyme or reason to it. Out of Stock sometimes means never coming back. Games are listed that they don't actually have copies for, so they end up cancelling redemptions. Then a few months ago, PSN codes they sent out didn't work for several days.

If I hadn't already dealt with their poor organization long enough to get tons of free stuff, I'd probably have moved on to a cashback card, but it's still frustrating to see a good idea handled in such a haphazard way.[/QUOTE]

Never ordered a game, but what I ordered (PS3 remote, CDs/DVDs, and PSN cards) have been working flawlessly for me).
Could the site have a better interface? No doubt, but as long as I don't have to pay for stuff, I see no reason to complain :D

This is the noobest question ever probably. But I just started this program and only have 60pts so far. How do I get the free game or controller again?

[quote name='D0RC']This is the noobest question ever probably. But I just started this program and only have 60pts so far. How do I get the free game or controller again?[/QUOTE]

I may be wrong, but I think its worthless to be in the program without the credit card. Please someone interject if I am misleading the man. Also; the OP has some very informative information in the first post.

I've been a Sony Rewards member for over a year now, and every few months, the PSN cards disappear. And inevitably, this thread gets flooded with people worrying and complaining about its demise.

From my experience, the PSN cards have always come back. So there's a good chance they will this time too. Despite what the sometimes clueless customer rep's say.

So for those tearing their hair out over this, I'd just like to suggest popping in a game from their backlog and waiting a bit.

The one caveat is the emergence of PSN Plus. Who knows what Sony will do to boost sales...

[quote name='lllGurulll']Crap, that doesn't sound good considering the program was perfect right now.[/QUOTE]

define "perfect", lol

[quote name='driver01z']Wondering if anyone can help,
I'm trying to sign up for the credit card
I go here:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...0151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644595898
I click Apply Now
It opens a new page and the only button says Exit Current Session. I assume there's supposed to be a form to fill out but there's nothing on the page. Happens in both Firefox and IE. Any suggestion?[/QUOTE]

Same. What the heck? Sony doesn't want people to register for their cards? Why so broken?

[quote name='scowlpic42']The old link still works for me:
http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/gateway/?offerlink=srjpc

Is there anyway to tell if that offer is still valid? I'm not going to assume just because it is still there it still works, especially since the sign up page it takes you to doesn't reference it at all, and the only way I know of to get to it is a direct link, nothing on the Sony page references it (that I can find). I clicked on the terms and conditions page but it looks like that is just for the credit card, not the offer.[/QUOTE]

BOTH are now redirects and I doubt are Live, for anyone who signed up for either I'm curious to see if you even get your credit. I see a $50 credit on my chase.com account, I can only assume it's from my offer link (of which I messed up).

[quote name='Teujip']I personally registered as a guest. you then receive an email thanking you for registering, and in that email, you should have a link to claim your (500?) points.

Worked for me everytime (well 5 times)[/QUOTE]

I signed in with my SonyStyle ID which is a different ID from my Sony rewards. I got the email but didn't see the link to claim the 500 points. Will Sony link my Sonystyle account with my Sony rewards accounts?

I also tried to register as a guest and the email I got has no such a link to claim the 500 points. There is the "Take a survey" button. Is that the points claim link?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='foreinter']I signed in with my SonyStyle ID which is a different ID from my Sony rewards. I got the email but didn't see the link to claim the 500 points. Will Sony link my Sonystyle account with my Sony rewards accounts?

I also tried to register as a guest and the email I got has no such a link to claim the 500 points. There is the "Take a survey" button. Is that the points claim link?

Thanks a lot.[/QUOTE]

I'm having the same problem. Not sure how to actually redeem points from registering my products as it doesn't seem like SonyStyle and SonyRewards are directly connected.

[quote name='simmias']The longest I remember waiting was six weeks. [/QUOTE]

About 7 weeks the PSN vouchers have been unavailable now... a new record!

Yeah, I'm thinking they aint coming back. Unless the timing is a complete coincidence, it's probably that they want to make every penny they can from PS+ (and free card program points probably cut into that).

Sucks if so. I could have got $30 worth of vouchers with the points I have now, not interested in any of the other stuff they offer. I'll wait a bit longer before using the points I have, but I don't have much hope. Will have to figure out something else to do with them... I don't even bother to do the daily free points questions anymore (which was a regular thing for me)...

Rather than wait for the cards to come back in stock I'm going to use my Sony card and buy $100 worth of PSN cards from Kmart sale and then just apply my points for a credit.

Does anyone know how the bonus points and credit work? I've only done bonus points before.

I'm thinking of getting another ps3.

if 1 point = 1 cent I should have enough by end of august.

My plan is wait till frys or who ever has a nice deal with some more freebies besides movies.

Buy system with sony card, apply for bonus + credit.

I assume they will triple the points on the ps3 stuff then depending on the total then credit my card with maximum points I have at the time equivalent to cost of the sony stuff. Is that assumption correct?

^ yep. last time i did a credit purchase, they gave me the 3x bonus points first and then deducted points for my item. so if you buy a ps3, let's say for 300, you should get a bonus 600 (for 900 total), which will actually go toward the purchase credit if you don't have enough points. And even if you don't have enough points, you'll have prob at least 8 weeks to build them before the purchase credit goes through. And push it even farther if you want because you have 60 days from purchase to send the purchase credit form in. And even then if you don't have enough points, they'll simply credit your card for whatever points you do have.

I bought a pair of headphones a while back with enough points in my bank to cover it, sent in my form, and then a couple weeks later that $50 camera credit deal came along, so i spent all my points on that from the rewards site, and then built up like ~$20 before my purchase credit form went through for the headphones, and they credited my card for the amount i had in my points bank, plus the bonus for the purchase.

For those who have sent in bonus/purchase credit forms; they say to send in one form per receipt, but has anyone ever sent in multiple forms per envelope?

I don't see why that wouldn't work but I figured there has to be someone who has tried this before.

I sent in a form for 3 items before, all on different receipts, and it went fine. I called to verify first, and the rep said it wouldn't be a problem. That was over a year ago, but I don't know why they would have changed policy now.

I always send in multiple requests, but if you send too many, they will say they did not receive them. Somehow 3 different times my envelopes were not received by SONY (one of them having delivery confirmation). I think I am black listed though...

[quote name='foreinter']I signed in with my SonyStyle ID which is a different ID from my Sony rewards. I got the email but didn't see the link to claim the 500 points. Will Sony link my Sonystyle account with my Sony rewards accounts?

Thanks a lot.[/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly (it has been a while), there was a link in the email mentionning the 500 points, and that was redirecting me to the sonyrewards site. They might have changed things around, and my memory is a little fuzzy, but I am pretty sure the link was on the right hand side.
One item I registered did not give me the link, though. but the next ones were fine, and I did not have any shortage of sony stuff to register.

[quote name='aurastrife']I'm having the same problem. Not sure how to actually redeem points from registering my products as it doesn't seem like SonyStyle and SonyRewards are directly connected.[/QUOTE]

You are right, your sony rewards ID doesn't work on the sony style site. but same thing, I would try another product, maybe the points are only credited towards certain items?

Just logged in and saw the new design with Points Plus program...extra points for shopping at different retailers. Listed are Gamestop, best buy, sears, kmart, old navy and banana republic. I'm pretty psyched for it since I shop at these places. Too bad it wasn't there when I bought $2000+ worth of appliances from sears.

[quote name='jngx80']Just logged in and saw the new design with Points Plus program...extra points for shopping at different retailers. Listed are Gamestop, best buy, sears, kmart, old navy and banana republic. I'm pretty psyched for it since I shop at these places. Too bad it wasn't there when I bought $2000+ worth of appliances from sears.[/QUOTE]
Wonder if the revamp means the PSN cards will start showing up again soon.

[quote name='Teujip']If I remember correctly (it has been a while), there was a link in the email mentionning the 500 points, and that was redirecting me to the sonyrewards site. They might have changed things around, and my memory is a little fuzzy, but I am pretty sure the link was on the right hand side.
One item I registered did not give me the link, though. but the next ones were fine, and I did not have any shortage of sony stuff to register.

You are right, your sony rewards ID doesn't work on the sony style site. but same thing, I would try another product, maybe the points are only credited towards certain items?[/QUOTE]

I checked the registration email again and didn't find link to Sony Rewards. Maybe they just cancelled that. Thank you for helping me.

[quote name='jngx80']Just logged in and saw the new design with Points Plus program...extra points for shopping at different retailers. Listed are Gamestop, best buy, sears, kmart, old navy and banana republic. I'm pretty psyched for it since I shop at these places. Too bad it wasn't there when I bought $2000+ worth of appliances from sears.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'll make an effort to use my credit card at these places rather than my debit card. If they included Ralph's/Kroger in there, I'd be set.

Some PLEASE tell me why my 2500 points of regstering products didn't work? there is no join now on the bottom right anymore, I even had another tab open for rewards page. What am i doing wrong!!

[quote name='foreinter']I checked the registration email again and didn't find link to Sony Rewards. Maybe they just cancelled that. Thank you for helping me.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='petersa1d']Some PLEASE tell me why my 2500 points of regstering products didn't work? there is no join now on the bottom right anymore, I even had another tab open for rewards page. What am i doing wrong!![/QUOTE]

You guys might want to contact their customer support, and see what can be done - would be a shame to miss $25 in freebies :(

[quote name='panasonic']The $10 psn card says no longer available does that mean never coming back?[/QUOTE]

Been a while since it has been removed from the catalog. Not sure if they are planning on getting it back - I personally don't wait for it anymore.

I got a couple of cards from kmart last week, as they had a sale, and I am submitting the form to get credit from my points.

still free (ish), and actually a better deal than with the site, as I got a $20 card for free

[quote name='foreinter']I checked the registration email again and didn't find link to Sony Rewards. Maybe they just cancelled that. Thank you for helping me.[/QUOTE]

Yup, I can't find the "Join Now" or 500 points link in the email either. Strange.

Sorry if I missed it, but what is the work around in order to keep the points from registering a blu-ray, instead of getting the $10 coupon? I have netflix so I'm sure these point's would add up :D. If there still is a work around it should be posted in the guide, at this point there's like a thousand replies, kind of impossible to go through them all :O

[quote name='ChefIroquois']Sorry if I missed it, but what is the work around in order to keep the points from registering a blu-ray, instead of getting the $10 coupon? I have netflix so I'm sure these point's would add up :D. If there still is a work around it should be posted in the guide, at this point there's like a thousand replies, kind of impossible to go through them all :O[/QUOTE]
I always got my points down to 1 through a combination of redemption and putting points on hold with the daily and monthly giveaways. You can hold a total of 2000 points. When you redeem that 10th, 20th or 30th blu-ray, it will only take 51 points away instead of 1000.

There might be a better way, but that's what I did.

[quote name='simmias']I always got my points down to 1 through a combination of redemption and putting points on hold with the daily and monthly giveaways. You can hold a total of 2000 points. When you redeem that 10th, 20th or 30th blu-ray, it will only take 51 points away instead of 1000.

There might be a better way, but that's what I did.[/QUOTE]

I hope so, I'm saving up points (Card Holder) so I can get something big, with 6,000 points it'd be kinda hard to work it down to 0. I watch a lot of movies so the $10 deal isn't too bad... but 1,000 points is still better :/ especially since I've got netflix I rarely ever buy movies anymore. Anyone else got a workaround?

[quote name='ChefIroquois']I hope so, I'm saving up points (Card Holder) so I can get something big, with 6,000 points it'd be kinda hard to work it down to 0. I watch a lot of movies so the $10 deal isn't too bad... but 1,000 points is still better :/ especially since I've got netflix I rarely ever buy movies anymore. Anyone else got a workaround?[/QUOTE]
There's no workaround for what you're wanting. If you have the points for Sony to take on the 10th disc, they take them. Putting them on hold through the daily and monthly giveaways is the workaround everyone's talking about in this thread.

(If not mentioned already)

I SUSPECT SONY REWARDS MAY BE BE DISAPPEARING !!!

Just got a package in the mail from Chase financial. (They are the backers of my Sony Card). States that at the end of the month they will be switching me over to a Chase Flexible rewards card. Same type of point building scheme (1% back) but no mention of Sony. Makes sense when you think of Sony trying to cut costs.

[quote name='Teujip']I am submitting the form to get credit from my points.[/QUOTE]
Hey I'm curious, what form is this?

With the removal of the psn cards I am sitting on like $200 worth of points. I don't like the idea of using them towards somthing I really don't want so I'd love it if I could just get a credit applied to my every day purchases.

[quote name='jchasse'](If not mentioned already)

Just got a package in the mail from Chase financial. (They are the backers of my Sony Card). States that at the end of the month they will be switching me over to a Chase Flexible rewards card. Same type of point building scheme (1% back) but no mention of Sony. Makes sense when you think of Sony trying to cut costs.[/QUOTE]

Sony already said they are doing an overall of the Sony Rewards points program beginning Sept

[quote name='Seraph830']Hey I'm curious, what form is this?

With the removal of the psn cards I am sitting on like $200 worth of points. I don't like the idea of using them towards somthing I really don't want so I'd love it if I could just get a credit applied to my every day purchases.[/QUOTE]

Purchase has to be sony related in order to qualify for points redemption.
However, the form is on the sonyrewards website, under my account

I have 1500 points on hold but want to buy PSN points and send in that form. Will it be a problem to buy it today and send the thing in the mail? I expect to lose so my 1500 point should be freed up by the time they receive my mail.

[quote name='jchasse'](If not mentioned already)

Just got a package in the mail from Chase financial. (They are the backers of my Sony Card). States that at the end of the month they will be switching me over to a Chase Flexible rewards card. Same type of point building scheme (1% back) but no mention of Sony. Makes sense when you think of Sony trying to cut costs.[/QUOTE]

This makes me nervous. I have over 3300 points right now and was planning on waiting for PSN cards to come back (even though in my heart I know they never will... sob), but I think I'll be using my points on something else very soon. They literally have nothing else I'm interested in their catalog but I guess I'll have to find something...

Do they have any other kind of e-vouchers for online movie rentals or anything like that? (that's what I use PSN points for anyway)

The program itself might not be ending, but rather, they're changing the financial provider (i.e. someone besides Chase bank). That still means we're all screwed however unless we apply for a new card but our points will still be available in our accounts regardless. Same thing happened with my Amtrak Rewards card, but I guess this is all speculation for now.

I logged in after getting a sony card awhile ago to get the $300 back on my laptop. I wanted to see if I had any points and to my surprise I had 7900, kinda weird. I've only used that card a small handful of times... I ordered a sony bluetooth headset since I wasn't able to get one in the bundle clearances.

My NFL points card is doing the exact same thing. I had 63,000 points saved up to get some Bears tickets this season and I got an email saying the program was ending at the end of August and no tickets would be available. So I had to buy 2 $200 NFL shop cards and some misc crap. It made me so angry that they could just pull the plug on a program. I had a NFL rep call me about the new program with a different bank. After ensuring that I couldn't get free tickets for signing up, I told her to tell her superiors to go F@#$ themselves.

For those paranoid about a system change, maybe you can redeem your points for a Sony Style gift card (only applicable to CC holders) and then buy PSN Cards at the store? I assume they would carry them.

Link to store locator.

Has it always said "Temporarily Out of Stock" when you select more details on the PSN cards? I didn't remember it saying that the past few weeks. I may just be grasping at straws though but maybe...just maybe there's hope!

[quote name='evergoo']For those paranoid about a system change, maybe you can redeem your points for a Sony Style gift card (only applicable to CC holders) and then buy PSN Cards at the store? I assume they would carry them.

Link to store locator.[/QUOTE]

I did that before at the Sony Store in Woodland Hills, CA, but they charged me tax on a $50 PSN card. So, I ended up paying 5 bucks. It's not ideal, but 5 bucks isn't much either.

[quote name='berzirk']Has it always said "Temporarily Out of Stock" when you select more details on the PSN cards? I didn't remember it saying that the past few weeks. I may just be grasping at straws though but maybe...just maybe there's hope![/QUOTE]

It's always said temporary

[quote name='CD6405']It's always said temporary[/QUOTE]

What next, you're going to tell me there's no such thing as Santa? Haa.

[quote name='berzirk']What next, you're going to tell me there's no such thing as Santa? Haa.[/QUOTE]

There's no such thing as Santa or the Toothfairy

bread's done
Back