The definitive sony card rewards thread - a good start to a free game or controller

[quote name='simmias']The Move bundle is now in the rewards catalog for 10,499 pts, 8924 with jackpot applied. Not too shabby. You can even get it for 8924 if you don't have the Sony/Playstation card.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up - now hoping that they will start jeopardy weekly tournament again :)

[quote name='simmias']The Move bundle is now in the rewards catalog for 10,499 pts, 8924 with jackpot applied. Not too shabby. You can even get it for 8924 if you don't have the Sony/Playstation card.[/QUOTE]

Oh man, I have just enough to get that too, but I'm using it for LBP2 collector's edition.

I've been too lazy for the last few weeks, I have't been getting on the rewards site and getting the free points. Since they took the PSN cards off the site, it kind of made me lose all incentive to bother. I think that Points Plus, I may start using the card more.

Hmm...The Move Bundle never mentions anything about the PlayStation Eye yet it's clearly visible on the box.

Nevertheless, I'm still getting it since I already own the Eye and it's actually cheaper here (for once) than msrp. o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm debating about getting this. I currently have about 27,000 points. I know I can "buy" other points. I already have a 60GB PS3, but I would like to upgrade to a slim eventually.

PlayStation®3 System/PlayStation®Move Bundle
PlayStation®3 System/PlayStation®Move Bundle

Sony Rewards Price:
45,999 pts.
Jackpot Price:
39,099 pts.

I just need the main controller if I already have the camera that came with Eye of Judgement, right?

Never got around to playing Heavy Rain so I'm kinda wanting to give the motion controls a try.

Yeah all you'd need is the main controller. The navi is optional as you can use your Dualshock3 (albeit not as practical). Many games do recommend you use two move controlers, and I think some even require 2, but for the most part that isn't needed yet.

So here is the new point structure for earning rewards:
5 points for every dollar spent on Sony® purchases at Sony stores, Sony.com and Sony authorized retailers*
3 points for every dollar spent at ALL restaurants and on movies
1 point for every dollar spent on everyday purchases, like groceries and gasoline

It might just be me but it looks like they've added a bunch of new authorized online retailers including Amazon, Best Buy, Dell, Costco, and Fry's Outpost. This will definitely make me use my Sony Rewards credit card more often. :D

omg what a surprise! they changed exactly what they said they were gonna change and nothing else! LOL.

authorized retailers used to be 3x, so 5x is pretty nice. just wish the turnaround on purchase credit forms was quicker.

[quote name='evergoo']So here is the new point structure for earning rewards:

It might just be me but it looks like they've added a bunch of new authorized online retailers including Amazon, Best Buy, Dell, Costco, and Fry's Outpost. This will definitely make me use my Sony Rewards credit card more often. :D[/QUOTE]

K-Mart was on the page they used to have up with the new "partners" - what I'm thinking of doing is buying the controllers at K-Mart for the $10 coupon and doing the purchase credit thing.

ETA: Yep, my K-Mart shows up on the authorized retailers list.

So you can now earn more points by linking from their site to other retailers. Kind of sucks it doesn't work at B&M stores.

The current Sony Card offer is 5,000 bonus points after first purchase- no minimum. The card is being issued through CapitalOne.

(I'd add links but they seem to be unique to the login session).

[quote name='hlaalumaster9']The current Sony Card offer is 5,000 bonus points after first purchase- no minimum. The card is being issued through CapitalOne.
[/QUOTE]

Nice, 5k points is like ~$50 worth of merchandise?

After first purchase "online" only?

And it being CapitalOne will have no issues if you bank with Chase? Don't know anything about CapitalOne really

Thanks in advance if someone knows

So much for them not switching banks. I am another one who needs to know how this Sonycard move to Capital One will affect me as a Chase customer.

Oh, that sucks about Capital One :( I really like Chase because all of my cards are through them. I sure hope they don't force us to switch. Also, in my experience, Capital One was the only CC company that would send me offers that included an annual fee, when all others did not.

One thing that is good about this rewards plus, is that you can buy PSN cards through target.com via the site and get the 5x points.

Also, about the B&M store bonus points, in the FAQ it states that in the future, you will be able to get the bonus points at the retail stores:
You can only earn Sony Rewards Points online when you shop through the Sony Rewards Points PLUS website and click on the special links next to each retailer.
Soon you will also earn points when you use your Sony Card to shop at participating in-store retailers.

That was on the Points Plus tab, under the "How it works" link on the very bottom of the page.

I'm in agreement with elessar, I hate Capital One. I had one of their cards for five years or so. I was never late on a payment or anything. In all those five years, they never raised my credit limit at all, and then they raised my APR from around 10% to over 20% for no reason at all. I hope I can stick to my Chase card, since I won't switch to Capital One.

I, for one, would welcome a move to Crap One. I have way too many Chase cards, and one less Chase card in my possession would make it easier to get a new Chase card in the future. Chase has the best promos by far.

So can they make us shift card services to Cap One? Will they likely close our Chase accounts, or will those accounts continue on but they will become standard Chase credit card (i.e. without Sonycard affiliation).

I know not much info is out there yet, but if anyone knows about credit card situations like this and what is likely to happen, then I think a bunch of us would appreciate the input.

Also, I remember someone who knew about credit ratings once said it's not a good idea to close a regular credit card account unless you really have to, is that true or am I remembering wrong? Because right now I am seriously thinking about closing the Chase Sonycard account since I don't get as much out of it as I used to (i.e. PSN cards via reward points) and I already have other cards. Thanks for any help.

Well, I don't know if this counts, but my Macy's card switched to American Express. I didn't have any choice, they just sent me the new card. I'm guessing that it may be the same way with this card. I'm still hoping us with Chase will be grandfathered in, because I really don't feel like having to go to yet another website to pay my bills.

Also, I wouldn't close the account just yet. That Points Plus thing looks pretty nice, and you can always get gift cards for any major retailer and buy whatever you want (including PSN cards if they sell them).

Just an FYI: Sonycard used to be a Citibank MasterCard. When Chase took over it became a VISA. It was mandatory.

BUT...

I just received my new Sonycard (old one expires next month) and it is STILL a chase VISA.

Thanks for the input, guys.

[quote name='jh6269']Also, I wouldn't close the account just yet. That Points Plus thing looks pretty nice, and you can always get gift cards for any major retailer and buy whatever you want (including PSN cards if they sell them).[/QUOTE]

The thing is, one big reason that I loved the PSN voucher deal was that it was ecoupons that I didn't have to get through the mail, like I would a gift card or other physical item from the rewards site.

This may sound like a weird complaint but I live at a unit # at a building with a lot of other units, and last time I ordered something physical from them (movie ticket passes) my unit number got cut off the label address... luckily I only got it in my mailbox because that particular mailperson bothered to read the names on the mailboxes. So then when I looked at my account info online at the rewards site, sure enough, the unit # was pushed outside the main address "window" (i.e. you can only see it if you put the cursor in the window and scroll right).

Anyway, ever since then I've been afraid to order anything like a gift card since I don't want it getting lost in the mail. I have tried twice to fix it with them on the phone but they keep telling me I have to tell Chase to fix it, and I did that already (Chase changed it and put the unit # on the second address window, but this didn't change anything at the rewards site, when I go to my account info there it still shows up obscured). Sounds like a dumb problem I know, but it seems like there's basically nothing I can do about it. That's the real reason I was hoping the PSN vouchers would come back, because those are all dealt with online... and now that we're pretty certain they won't I don't really need the card anymore since I have others that come with rewards programs I'm happy with.

[quote name='CENNY']Thanks for the input, guys.

The thing is, one big reason that I loved the PSN voucher deal was that it was ecoupons that I didn't have to get through the mail, like I would a gift card or other physical item from the rewards site.

This may sound like a weird complaint but I live at a unit # at a building with a lot of other units, and last time I ordered something physical from them (movie ticket passes) my unit number got cut off the label address... luckily I only got it in my mailbox because that particular mailperson bothered to read the names on the mailboxes. So then when I looked at my account info online at the rewards site, sure enough, the unit # was pushed outside the main address "window" (i.e. you can only see it if you put the cursor in the window and scroll right).

Anyway, ever since then I've been afraid to order anything like a gift card since I don't want it getting lost in the mail. I have tried twice to fix it with them on the phone but they keep telling me I have to tell Chase to fix it, and I did that already (Chase changed it and put the unit # on the second address window, but this didn't change anything at the rewards site, when I go to my account info there it still shows up obscured). Sounds like a dumb problem I know, but it seems like there's basically nothing I can do about it. That's the real reason I was hoping the PSN vouchers would come back, because those are all dealt with online... and now that we're pretty certain they won't I don't really need the card anymore since I have others that come with rewards programs I'm happy with.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I can understand your points, but keep in mind that you can go buy a PSN card at target, then send in the purchase credit form. Anyway, I agree with you, the e-Vouchers were really great. I've clicked the Contact Us link on the sonyrewards site and asked them to please bring them back. But really, the only thing going for this card is the free money they give you for absolutely nothing--I can use my regular Chase and get points, and buy PSN games w/no card and then add the credit to my account with no hassle whatsoever, but like I said, those cards don't give me the points for playing Jeopardy/Wheel Of Fortune, and all that stuff.

[quote name='herkulease']Hmm it seems they removed the bonus points + purchase credit option.

It like you only have a choice of one or the other.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't say anywhere that can't submit both forms (they separated the forms out rather than having it an all-in-one as before).

Just got the new card from Capital One- it's a Visa Signature which seems to mean that it gives you extra discount opportunities (not sure if they're worthwhile).

Also, the weekly Jeopardy Tournament is supposed to come back in October with its 200 weekly bonus points

Hey guys, newbie here. I just heard about the Sony card and I was wondering if it's still profitable to pick one up or are all the good deals (i.e. ways to get free money off the card) gone? Thanks.

^ I can't even find the application page anymore for the Sony Card to see if there are any special deals or not. When I signed up, there was a chance to get up to $300 back for applying for the card and using the card. Now, I don't think there is a deal.

However, it is the only card that I know of that you can get on the rewards site and earn free points for absolutely nothing. You are limited, however, on what you can redeem for (although there are gift cards). And they just started a new Points Plus program, where you can earn 3x or 5x points for shopping via the rewards site.

[quote name='thesauce']Hey guys, newbie here. I just heard about the Sony card and I was wondering if it's still profitable to pick one up or are all the good deals (i.e. ways to get free money off the card) gone? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I can't find a link on Sony Rewards (it could be because I already have one), but the current offer is 5,000 bonus points ($50 value) after your first purchase. The card is a Visa Signature from Capital One. I just signed up last weekend so I assume it's still going.

[quote name='elessar123']According to this thread, they'll be forcing CapitalOne on us in March 2011. Guess I'll have to spend everything before then.[/QUOTE]

From what I understand, you keep your points in the transfer. So unless you have a reason to bail because they're switching to Capital One, you should be fine.

3 of my 4 cards are with chase, which I liked. I hate having to go to multiple sites to check the accounts. Once I redeem my points I'll probably be done with this card.

[quote name='Anexanhume']From what I understand, you keep your points in the transfer. So unless you have a reason to bail because they're switching to Capital One, you should be fine.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you do keep your points. But some people, including myself, are not fans of Capital One for various reasons. Thus the jump of ship.

[quote name='elessar123']Yes, you do keep your points. But some people, including myself, are not fans of Capital One for various reasons. Thus the jump of ship.[/QUOTE]

As long as there's no annual fee and you keep your balance paid off, I think it's worth not having the point restrictions.

Pissed... I've got enough pts for all of the "Move" gear but the only thing they aren't sold out of is the navigation controller. Now I will have to wait until the end of october to order when I get back to jackpot status.

[quote name='jughead']Pissed... I've got enough pts for all of the "Move" gear but the only thing they aren't sold out of is the navigation controller. Now I will have to wait until the end of october to order when I get back to jackpot status.[/QUOTE]

If you had jackpot status the previous month, you keep it for the following month. So, if you consistently get it every month, you'll never not have it.

[quote name='Anexanhume']If you had jackpot status the previous month, you keep it for the following month. So, if you consistently get it every month, you'll never not have it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'll keep an eye on that. I'm usually hit or miss when it comes to sony rewards, but I've done well lately. I'm trying to spend these 11k points so I can start getting points via blu rays again. That has been killing me.

[quote name='jughead']Thanks! I'll keep an eye on that. I'm usually hit or miss when it comes to sony rewards, but I've done well lately. I'm trying to spend these 11k points so I can start getting points via blu rays again. That has been killing me.[/QUOTE]

Remember that once you submit your tenth blu ray, they eat all 1000 of your points and give you a coupon. Your best off submitting the tenth when you've already used most of your points or most of them are pending.

Jeopardy comes back this weekend, so that's another 200 points each week, 800 a month.

Can't you buy the Move gear in a retailer and apply for a 'credit' to your CC using the points? I recall seeing an option in the sony rewards website allowing you to do so.

[quote name='eau']Can't you buy the Move gear in a retailer and apply for a 'credit' to your CC using the points? I recall seeing an option in the sony rewards website allowing you to do so.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but it takes two cycles to do so (60 days).

That.... and I'm not dying for the move. I'm dying to start accumulating points again though. I've contemplated getting a ps2 slim. I have a huge backlog on ps2 I'd like to play some day. Can anyone attest to the quality of the newest revision of slims?

[quote name='jughead']Pissed... I've got enough pts for all of the "Move" gear but the only thing they aren't sold out of is the navigation controller. Now I will have to wait until the end of october to order when I get back to jackpot status.[/QUOTE]

Buy it at one of the retailers via points plus and get the 10x points. Then send in the purchase credit form...

Has Sony Rewards had any general coupons to use when you check out? Looking to get the MOVE PS3 bundle (the one w/system), but looking for a coupon possibly.

Hey, Insider Specials for cardholders just got lots of stuff added. Some pretty good rewards point prices for games. I just ordered Resistance Retribution on the PSP for 1999. They used to list it at like, 4999 or something ridiculous. Lots of other stuff. Some a great deal, some still "overpriced". Locoroco 2 for 999 seems amazing.

Anyhoo, head's up.

Been using the PS Credit Card at restaurants for my lunches at work and dinner; I got the 2x points, and it added up to a butt-load of points from that. I had 2 deposits for the 2x bonus points, and it was almost 5,700 points total. At this rate, I'll be getting a ton of free stuff.

bread's done
Back