The definitive sony card rewards thread - a good start to a free game or controller

Hey guys I'm going to apply for the Sony card but wanted to ask if Chase was still doing it or capital one or do both? If both have Sony than is any card better than the other ? Thanks

[quote name='Anexanhume']No, they don't. That's why I bought amazon's bundle last year and used the points for credit to my account.[/QUOTE]

Thanks...come on AMAZON. So far, no good bundles. The best in my opinion is to hope Meijer has the MOVE CONSOLE bundle and use the 15% coupon.

[quote name='vic_x51']Hey guys I'm going to apply for the Sony card but wanted to ask if Chase was still doing it or capital one or do both? If both have Sony than is any card better than the other ? Thanks[/QUOTE]

Chase terminated their contract with Sony. The current Sony Card is only through Capital One. There's a link a couple of pages back where you get a whopping 20,000 point bonus for signing up ($200 worth of points!).

just want to add the 200 point weekly jeopardy tourney is gone and apears gone for good.
makes it tougher for noncardholders to hit the minimum redemption level before yearly points expire

[quote name='hlaalumaster9']I bought 3DDGH at Amazon and got the correct 4x bonus points (they give you 4x as a bonus and you get the other 1x when you statement points are deposited).[/QUOTE]

Oh wow, 5x points even at Amazon? I've bought a bunch of stuff from Amazon and they used to only give 3x points for Sony stuff from Amazon... I sure hope it's not an error. They made a bunch of errors recently with a lot of accounts, including mine, where they gave you 1 point per penny. Last week, they deducted all the points I got for the 2x bonus for restaurants and movies.

[quote name='hlaalumaster9']Chase terminated their contract with Sony. The current Sony Card is only through Capital One. There's a link a couple of pages back where you get a whopping 20,000 point bonus for signing up ($200 worth of points!).[/QUOTE]

thanks for telling me. I've never dealt with capital one before. Seems like this could be a good card to get some psn points cards cheap. Also i thought that 20000 point thing only worked if you specifically received an invite from them to get the card with that offer as an incentive.

The $200 thing is legit. I signed up through the link with Capital One. I got my card, after a week or so of sign up, then made a purchase the next day. And about 3 days later I had 20,000 points in my sony account.

[quote name='hlaalumaster9']Yep, you definitely can (someone confirmed with Sony). You only need one copy of the receipt as well with the two forms. I love the new, faster turnaround! Bonus points come faster than the regular ones for using the card![/QUOTE]

Oh man, I totally missed your response. That's good news. But you know what? The faster turnaround is a double-edged sword :lol:

I applied for credit on my PSP GOW bundle thinking, "oh, this will take 2 months," and by the time I get my credit, I would have earned many more thousand points, and perhaps get the full thing credited. So, I had 12500 points ($125), but some of the points were on hold for the Daily Giveaway and the Monthy Dream Prize. I wasn't expecting to have the forms go through so fast, and they only gave me credit on 8500 ($85) of my points. #-o

[quote name='hlaalumaster9']Chase terminated their contract with Sony. The current Sony Card is only through Capital One. There's a link a couple of pages back where you get a whopping 20,000 point bonus for signing up ($200 worth of points!).[/QUOTE]

So how did you find out that it was Chase that terminated their contract w/Sony and not the other way around? I am curious why they switched (I'm not too happy about it either).

[quote name='jh6269']
I applied for credit on my PSP GOW bundle thinking, "oh, this will take 2 months," and by the time I get my credit, I would have earned many more thousand points, and perhaps get the full thing credited. So, I had 12500 points ($125), but some of the points were on hold for the Daily Giveaway and the Monthy Dream Prize. I wasn't expecting to have the forms go through so fast, and they only gave me credit on 8500 ($85) of my points. #-o[/QUOTE]

so, your saying that since the credited points system is faster now it is better to not have points tied up in daily games until after u have your purchase credited?

[quote name='vic_x51']so, your saying that since the credited points system is faster now it is better to not have points tied up in daily games until after u have your purchase credited?[/QUOTE]

Yes, exactly. Otherwise, they will just take from your available point total. You have 60 days to apply for the credit, so if you can afford to wait, you can just wait until the points come back. Just remember, you will still have to pay off your balance, so it's up to you which is more important--playing the monthly giveaway, or getting your credit ASAP.

[quote name='jh6269']Oh man, I totally missed your response. That's good news. But you know what? The faster turnaround is a double-edged sword :lol:

I applied for credit on my PSP GOW bundle thinking, "oh, this will take 2 months," and by the time I get my credit, I would have earned many more thousand points, and perhaps get the full thing credited. So, I had 12500 points ($125), but some of the points were on hold for the Daily Giveaway and the Monthy Dream Prize. I wasn't expecting to have the forms go through so fast, and they only gave me credit on 8500 ($85) of my points. #-o[/QUOTE]

Cant you just send in another for more points to go into it?

[quote name='toocool17']The $200 thing is legit. I signed up through the link with Capital One. I got my card, after a week or so of sign up, then made a purchase the next day. And about 3 days later I had 20,000 points in my sony account.[/QUOTE]

I got screwed because the link for the 20k points was sort of hidden and I had signed up because they made the 5k points link sign up more available.

Essentially they are running both 5k and 20k at the same time and I had only seen the 5k up until I searched some more and found the 20k offer.

Either way, do you have to make a purchase using the card for them to give you the points for signing up for the card? Or do you get the points just for signing up?

[quote name='DoReiRei']Cant you just send in another for more points to go into it?[/QUOTE]

I don't think so, because the form doesn't seem like it will allow you to put the information in there to get the difference.

It's not a big deal, but I thought people may want to know that the process is much faster.

[quote name='hustletron']I got screwed because the link for the 20k points was sort of hidden and I had signed up because they made the 5k points link sign up more available.

Essentially they are running both 5k and 20k at the same time and I had only seen the 5k up until I searched some more and found the 20k offer.

Either way, do you have to make a purchase using the card for them to give you the points for signing up for the card? Or do you get the points just for signing up?[/QUOTE]

You have to make at least a $1 purchase to get the 20k points.

[quote name='toocool17']You have to make at least a $1 purchase to get the 20k points.[/QUOTE]

To bad its not 20k for each dollar spent :cry:

[quote name='jh6269']So how did you find out that it was Chase that terminated their contract w/Sony and not the other way around? I am curious why they switched (I'm not too happy about it either).[/QUOTE]

I had seen a news article that Chase was shedding a large fraction of its co-branded card business as a cost-savings measure. I think the new credit card rules that make it hard for them to make billions on hidden fees coupled with the bad economy have put pressure on their credit business.

Here are a couple articles:
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-phillydeals/104951194.html
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704841304575138200053638056.html

My 20k came in today. Now waiting for a decent Ps3 deal... Already got all the games I want for it, got the Mixamp 5.8 ordered so got a headset for it, got hdmi cable,extra controller and etc...Just need ps3 now :( Hoping for either discount or a gift card with it.

Hey does anyone know if you can transfer your existing Sony Rewards account from the old card to the new one? I'd hate to just lose all the points I've built up.

Two major changes today:
1. Jeopardy: Now 2 questions, worth 20 pts each for cardholders and 10 pts each for non-cardholders. Cardholders gain 15 pts/day while non-cardholders lose 5 pts/day since it used to be one question for 25 pts.

2. Jackpot Status has been removed. Now there are only two prices- Regular and Sony Card. This is just more reason to take advantage of the one week turnaround on the card credit.

[quote name='Okatha']Hey does anyone know if you can transfer your existing Sony Rewards account from the old card to the new one? I'd hate to just lose all the points I've built up.[/QUOTE]

You will receive a Capital One card in March to replace your existing Chase card. YMMV on signing up for the new card with an existing account for bonus points- Sony reps have been giving out different info. http://boards.sonypictures.com/boards/showthread.php?t=47696&page=6
You can only have one card associated with your account so you may have to make a new Sony Rewards account (just don't activate the Spin ID).

Also sidebar- if you're already doing the Wheel of Fortune puzzle every day, sign up for this contest:
http://www.wheeloffortune.com/minisites/sears/entry.php
Thread here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278448

I just got my card the other day, I understand the thing about filling out a purchase form to mail in to get the 5X points, but what do you have to do for Dining Out, Movies at 3X and Groceries, Gasoline, etc at 1x? Do they do it automatically?

Still no CAP ONE card yet. Got mailings with terms and what not with a letter stating "if you are granted a card blah blah blah" So they must really be overwhelmed or something.

[quote name='hustletron']I just got my card the other day, I understand the thing about filling out a purchase form to mail in to get the 5X points, but what do you have to do for Dining Out, Movies at 3X and Groceries, Gasoline, etc at 1x? Do they do it automatically?[/QUOTE]

You get those automatically. I got the points roughly a week after the statement closed, which I was surprised. Every other credit card I've had to wait until payment is received. I won't complain.

The reason why you have to send in a purchase form is that they only see "GAMESTOP $60" and don't know if it's a Sony purchase or not whereas a restaurant they know is a dining out purchase.

Today the rewards site changed Jeopardy daily for non-card members from 25 to 10 points and card members from 25 to 20 points.

The Jeopardy is now two questions so it's actually worth more points for cardholders:
Jeopardy: Now 2 questions, worth 20 pts each for cardholders and 10 pts each for non-cardholders. Cardholders gain 15 pts/day while non-cardholders lose 5 pts/day since it used to be one question for 25 pts.

I still see the Playstation section on the redeem rewards page. Are you a cardholder? Maybe they removed it for non-cardholders

[quote name='hlaalumaster9']The Jeopardy is now two questions so it's actually worth more points for cardholders:
Jeopardy: Now 2 questions, worth 20 pts each for cardholders and 10 pts each for non-cardholders. Cardholders gain 15 pts/day while non-cardholders lose 5 pts/day since it used to be one question for 25 pts.

I still see the Playstation section on the redeem rewards page. Are you a cardholder? Maybe they removed it for non-cardholders[/QUOTE]

I missed the second question. Maybe I changed the tab too quickly. I can't seem to access it now though, says I've already played.

Yeah I think they made all that stuff Sony Card exclusive, that's what it says on my page.

It says "Sony Rewards Price: Card Exclusive" and then "Sony Card Price: xxxxx".

But the points prices havent changed for some stuff lol.

[quote name='Anexanhume']I missed the second question. Maybe I changed the tab too quickly. I can't seem to access it now though, says I've already played.[/QUOTE]

There's a weird 10 second delay after answering the category, it looks like you're done but then it switches over.

I can confirm the Playstation stuff does all say exclusive now. Someone on the Wheel Watchers forum also said they've started to add sales tax.

[quote name='hustletron']Do you get rewards points for purchasing stuff on the PSN with your PS Card?[/QUOTE]

Yes. I got 53 points for a $9.99 PSN purchase, which is odd since I didn't pay tax. I won't argue.

[quote name='hlaalumaster9']Yes. I got 53 points for a $9.99 PSN purchase, which is odd since I didn't pay tax. I won't argue.[/QUOTE]

I probably should have asked this in my prior post, but how do they record it, like do you have to fill out a purchase credit form? Do they just recognize it was from the PSN?

It goes in automatically, here is an example of how they get deposited:

3x Entertainment Category Earn 10/23/2010 287
3x Entertainment Category Earn 10/23/2010 576
CapOne Bonus 5x Sony Earn 10/23/2010 53
CapOne Bonus 5x Sony Earn 10/23/2010 212
1x Other Earn 10/23/2010 413

[quote name='hlaalumaster9']It goes in automatically, here is an example of how they get deposited:

3x Entertainment Category Earn 10/23/2010 287
3x Entertainment Category Earn 10/23/2010 576
CapOne Bonus 5x Sony Earn 10/23/2010 53
CapOne Bonus 5x Sony Earn 10/23/2010 212
1x Other Earn 10/23/2010 413[/QUOTE]

Wait, are these showing on the sony website or your credit card statement?

Jeopardy club not updating at midnight PST anymore? I logged in and it said I already answered today.

I haven't been able to play today either.

[quote name='slowdive21']Wait, are these showing on the sony website or your credit card statement?
[/QUOTE]

That's what it looks like in My Account->Point History on Sony Rewards once your credit card statement closes

[quote name='hlaalumaster9']That's what it looks like in My Account->Point History on Sony Rewards once your credit card statement closes[/QUOTE]

That means I am not getting my bonus points since I still have the old chase card. When did it start for you? 10-15-10?

hey everyone, i am new to the sony rewrds program and i have 20,000 reward points to spend due to a promo i sighned up for. i am really interested in geting the MOVE controller but the site says it's currently out of stock. my question is if anyone knows if sony rewards restocks there inventory or do they have a limited number of products and once they are gone thats it. so should i just buy the MOVE? or wait for them to restck the inventory? thanks

[quote name='nasllc1']hey everyone, i am new to the sony rewrds program and i have 20,000 reward points to spend due to a promo i sighned up for. i am really interested in geting the MOVE controller but the site says it's currently out of stock. my question is if anyone knows if sony rewards restocks there inventory or do they have a limited number of products and once they are gone thats it. so should i just buy the MOVE? or wait for them to restck the inventory? thanks[/QUOTE]

If you're willing to spend the 5 minutes to fill out the forms, I recommend buying it somewhere like Amazon and then applying for the card credit. You'll get your stuff faster, you get an automatic 4% discount* by applying for the bonus points, and Sony has started to deduct sales tax from rewards orders.
(*you get the 4x extra when applying for bonus points and the original 1x is wiped out by the reduction in your card total I assume)

Here's an example (using 8% sales tax, assuming you don't live in WA)
Amazon.com: $49.99
Apply for card credit: 4,999 points deducted
Apply for bonus credit: 200 points added
Total: 4,799 points

Sony Rewards order: 4,999 points + 8% sales tax (400 points) = 5,399 points

Remember that most items on Sony Rewards are actually over MSRP. The 10% discount brings them back down to it (note the Move controller is 5,399 normal, 4,999 with discount).

Last edited by a moderator:
So I spent 10.50 at a movie theater, it shows up under my Sony Card statement as Entertainment, but my points amount has not changed to reflect this charge. I also have a charge from Dominos(lol) which is labeled as Dining, that has yet to be reflected by my statement but I would assume it would earn me some points too.

Does it take a while after to get posted or am I just being impatient?

Man, I just got my bonus points for the month, and they were over 2000 points. Man, I really like the NBT promotion. Also, since we get 40 points for Jeopardy now, and the 3x points for dining out/movies, I don't mind losing the Weekly Tournament.

[quote name='hlaalumaster9']
You can only have one card associated with your account so you may have to make a new Sony Rewards account (just don't activate the Spin ID).
[/QUOTE]

Can I join the Wheel Watcher Club to solve daily puzzle without activating the Spin ID?

bread's done
Back