The Difference between the two models!!!! (PS3)

Whats the deal with backwards compatibility? Any word on that? What I really want to know is how the PS3 will take my PS2/PS1 memory card saves. If I could go from the PS2 USB port to the PS3, that would be sweet to move all my saves from my PS2 HDD. Though it seems its going to be harder than that. My guess is that theres going to be some sort of PS2 memory card reader add-on that will cost me $29.99.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']USB sound familiar?[/QUOTE]
The Sony press conference indicated that memory sticks would be used for this purpose.

I don't see the point of even having a slot for it on the PS3 if they could just do that. PSP's are all anyone uses those for. If those are going to be the standard memory cards for PS3, then that makes the cheap system even worse for not having one,

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Yeah but the problem is you'll buy a cheaper model PS3 in '06 when 1080p is in a very few number of TVs. 3 years later when EVERY TV has 1080p, your stuck back in 2006 with no way to upgrade. Poor move Sony, poor move.[/quote]

I think it'll be more than 3 years, but anyway, after a while, it'll be a more common standard on the NEXT generation of consoles, which will be backwards compatible. So this situation where you have no way upgrade doesnt come up, because you're going to be buying another system in the next...5-7 years anyway.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Whats the deal with backwards compatibility? Any word on that? What I really want to know is how the PS3 will take my PS2/PS1 memory card saves. If I could go from the PS2 USB port to the PS3, that would be sweet to move all my saves from my PS2 HDD. Though it seems its going to be harder than that. My guess is that theres going to be some sort of PS2 memory card reader add-on that will cost me $29.99.[/quote]

Sony's said in the past that your PS1 and PS2 saves were a lost cause. Of course, they also said that they were only going to launch one model of PS3, so take that for what you will.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I think it'll be more than 3 years, but anyway, after a while, it'll be a more common standard on the NEXT generation of consoles, which will be backwards compatible. So this situation where you have no way upgrade doesnt come up, because you're going to be buying another system in the next...5-7 years anyway.[/QUOTE]

1080p is where 480p was 3-4 years ago. Now, you pretty much can't buy a TV that doesn't have 480p.

[quote name='Genocidal']Of course, they also said that they were only going to launch one model of PS3[/quote]

I remember reading all about how they thought dual SKUs were a bad idea with the 360 and they were going to go with a unified, single package. That was the first thing I thought of when they made the announcment earlier, was how it was a dirty lie.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']1080p is where 480p was 3-4 years ago. Now, you pretty much can't buy a TV that doesn't have 480p.[/quote]

I cant say that I've shopped for TVs lately, but it cant be THAT scarce. When my TV goes out, I'm going to buy someones used Standard Def TV off craigslist for like $20. I still use COMPOSITE VIDEO. Because thats how much I care.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I remember reading all about how they thought dual SKUs were a bad idea with the 360 and they were going to go with a unified, single package. That was the first thing I thought of when they made the announcment earlier, was how it was a dirty lie.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the fact that the boomerang was the final design with only the possibility of "slight modifications" being made to it before launch. :rofl: Sony really seems like they are changing their entire plan for the PS3 every 2 months.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Yeah but the problem is you'll buy a cheaper model PS3 in '06 when 1080p is in a very few number of TVs. 3 years later when EVERY TV has 1080p, your stuck back in 2006 with no way to upgrade. Poor move Sony, poor move.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, your going to care about the HDMI output in a few years. Sony wants to sell this thing for 10 years. I'm sure you going to care about the video quality in 2016. But maybe your "core" PS3 will break and you'll have to get a second one like so many people did with the PS2. You can make your 2nd PS3 the HDMI enabled one. So maybe you shouldn't worry about it.

[quote name='KingDox']Yeah, your going to care about the HDMI output in a few years. Sony wants to sell this thing for 10 years. I'm sure you going to care about the video quality in 2016. But maybe your "core" PS3 will break and you'll have to get a second one like so many people did with the PS2. You can make your 2nd PS3 the HDMI enabled one. So maybe you shouldn't worry about it.[/QUOTE]

So basically it shouldn't be a concern because you should plan on buying more than 1 PS3 anyway?!?!

I can't believe that anyone still believes anything said by Sony anymore. They say the PS3 will last 10 years now, but I'll be surprised if there aren't rumblings of a PS4 come 2010.

[quote name='A7las']Time to start saving $600...[/QUOTE]

You could or for that same amount you could get:
Xbox 360 Premium
Play n Charge kit
Elder Scrolls 4
Call of Duty 2
Geomety Wars

Should be about the same after tax as just the PS3 system, and you can enjoy HD gaming for the next 6 months before PS3 is out. Those are just the 3 best 360 games out righ now, more are coming btween now and PS3 launch.

Don't get me wrong, I will get a PS3 eventually. But no game system is worth $600 before games, you can build a decent pc for that much and play a tremendously larger game library for the same amount, and have a pc you use for other stuff, or get a sweet load out for a 360. Sony is selling the PS3 as a cheap blu-ray player, not a game system.

We are the masters of finding cheap games. I honestly dont see myself spending more than $600 over the entire lifespan of the Wii, including hardware.

[quote name='Genocidal']Sony's said in the past that your PS1 and PS2 saves were a lost cause. Of course, they also said that they were only going to launch one model of PS3, so take that for what you will.[/QUOTE]
Really? fuck man, I had the intention that the PS3 will replace my PS2 in my current setup. I've spent time, money, and energy building my collection of PS2/PS1 games and I can't even have my fucking saves anymore? They better do something about this.

whats the situation of the games there pricetag?

if there going above 50 or 60 bucks im not gonna be able to get one of these for a very long time cause thats simply way to much money.

[quote name='whoknows']wow, I thought it was just the 40gb's I would be missing out on...now it seems like if I dont get the expensive version there isnt any point of me getting a PS3 at all.[/quote]

Kind of like the Xbox 360 models.

xbox prem 399
xbox hd add on - 99-199 dollars.

= 499-599 for 360 with HD dvd playability.and 20gig hdd.

ps3 core
plays blue ray dvds.
20 gig hdd

price seems the same to me.

I dont like the idea of getting forced blueray technology.
but for about 100 bucks for it? its well worth it.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']xbox prem 399
xbox hd add on - 99-199 dollars.

= 499-599 for 360 with HD dvd playability.and 20gig hdd.

ps3 core
plays blue ray dvds.
20 gig hdd

price seems the same to me.

I dont like the idea of getting forced blueray technology.
but for about 100 bucks for it? its well worth it.[/QUOTE]

PS3 core = NO HDMI, which may have conflicts with some Blu-Ray movies. Please add $100.

can you record tv programs with this system

hell even if you could turn in your PS2 system you would still have to come up with 500 bucks to upgrade.

I think when the ps2 came out you was only looking at a 150 upgrade.

good luck selling these sony you will need it. There isnt one game coming out that i want to play. Unless i over looked i didnt see any RPGS and dont expect to see any within the first 6 months to year . RIGHT?

If I'm thinking about this correctly, since the $500 version doesn't have wifi, that means there is no out-of-the-box PSP-PS3 connectivity. You would either have to buy a wifi adapter of some sort or possibly connect the two with a USB cable.

[quote name='doubledown']PS3 core = NO HDMI, which may have conflicts with some Blu-Ray movies. Please add $100.[/QUOTE]

This is the kicker that no one is paying attention to: Copy protection. Doubledown mentions it in passing, but I think it deserves to be highlighted a bit more. There is no way for the component interface to be HDCP compatible. Why is this important? To play most Blueray movies in High Definition, you will have to use the HDMI port. HDMI is HDCP compatible, while component and DVI are not.

Long story short: If you want to play Blueray DVD's in High Def (anything above 480p) on your HDTV, you will need to buy the $599 "premium" version.

[quote name='Elrod']This is the kicker that no one is paying attention to: Copy protection. Doubledown mentions it in passing, but I think it deserves to be highlighted a bit more. There is no way for the component interface to be HDCP compatible. Why is this important? To play most Blueray movies in High Definition, you will have to use the HDMI port. HDMI is HDCP compatible, while component and DVI are not.

Long story short: If you want to play Blueray DVD's in High Def (anything above 480p) on your HDTV, you will need to buy the $599 "premium" version.[/QUOTE]

This is one of the reasons I think Sony is shooting itself in the foot because they are using a technology that hasn't fully been proven yet and they want everyone to jump on the Blu-ray bandwagon. If this doesn't do well it spells doom for Blu-ray as a disk format.

It looks to me that Sony is trying to take the only department in its company that is making money into another department that loses money every quarter by using this with Blu-ray. I will give credit to MS for at least starting out with the DVD technology of today so if HD-DVD doesn't take off they can stick with what they have now but in the case of Sony they are putting all of their eggs in one basket and hoping that it will catch on.

Also, to comment on the HDMI thing. CURRENTLY, you can get a 1080i/720p picture through Component with HD-DVD players, but studios may limit this soon....so, your precious HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player may just be an overpriced DVD player that only can do 480p. Which sucks to those with OLDER HDTV's.

[quote name='doubledown']Also, to comment on the HDMI thing. CURRENTLY, you can get a 1080i/720p picture through Component with HD-DVD players, but studios may limit this soon....so, your precious HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player may just be an overpriced DVD player that only can do 480p. Which sucks to those with OLDER HDTV's.[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY. Thanks for the clarification.

If anyone thinks that this won’t be the case, think again. Publishers (like Sony) and movie studios (like Sony) are paranoid about copy protecting their content when it comes to high definition. HDMI and Blueray were created to alleviate these concerns.

[quote name='evilmax17']Do both versions have PS1/PS2 memory card slots?[/quote]

eh? I thought that such slots were not confirmed to be in ANY version.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']eh? I thought that such slots were not confirmed to be in ANY version.[/quote]
That's bad times.

[quote name='Sulik2']You could or for that same amount you could get:
Xbox 360 Premium
Play n Charge kit
Elder Scrolls 4
Call of Duty 2
Geomety Wars

Should be about the same after tax as just the PS3 system, and you can enjoy HD gaming for the next 6 months before PS3 is out. Those are just the 3 best 360 games out righ now, more are coming btween now and PS3 launch.

Don't get me wrong, I will get a PS3 eventually. But no game system is worth $600 before games, you can build a decent pc for that much and play a tremendously larger game library for the same amount, and have a pc you use for other stuff, or get a sweet load out for a 360. Sony is selling the PS3 as a cheap blu-ray player, not a game system.[/QUOTE]
Except there is one problem, there are no games on Xbox 360 I want or that have been announced.

With the confusing 2 model scheme for PS3 and Xbox 360, I think they have open the door wide open for Nintendo in this next generation. If Nintendo can deliver Wii at a much reasonable price, line up some great games, get good 3rd party support, and deliver the promise of access to the entire Nintendo library, then Wii has a really good shot of challenging Sony and MS.

I wasn't planning to get anything until prices drop, but if Wii is $200 and can play gamecube games I may get it. Been thinking of buying a cube anyway so I'd shell out another 100 for the Wii. As far as 360, even $400 is a ton and the thing has few games that seem remotely interesting (actually just oblivion)

What I don't like is that I can't "build" a core system into a premium one if I wanted to since I can't add inputs like I could a HDD. There are too many differences between the two that can't be added on later for me to even consider the $499 model. But, $599 and $60 for one game plus tax is going to be ~$716 for me. Yikes!

I think Sony just shot themselves in the foot. 600.00 is A LOT of money and that's not even with tax, a game, extra controller, etc. I've always bought my consoles on launch day but that is just TOO MUCH money to spend. I'm technically not a cheapass either when it comes to these things. There is no doubt they'll sell it out because of early adopters but after that point with a 360, that may be cheaper, and the Wii on the shelf. This should be much more interesting than anticipated. Sony may have just priced themselves out of this for awhile.

I'm sorry...$600 is too much. I have a million other things to spend $600 on. Also to factor in the price of $60 games. Maybe if I wait a year the price might come down.

well sony ps3 won't be number 1 in system wars plus I buying ps3 to way to
high for me I be getting nintendo wii and x-box360 instead like someone
said sony shot themself in foot so will take the crown mircosoft of nintendo

[quote name='doubledown']Also, to comment on the HDMI thing. CURRENTLY, you can get a 1080i/720p picture through Component with HD-DVD players, but studios may limit this soon....so, your precious HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player may just be an overpriced DVD player that only can do 480p. Which sucks to those with OLDER HDTV's.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of 1080p, is it confirmed that future HD-DVD's will be able to do this res. because I'll take a 2 disc HD-DVD set with an SED that has better PQ over a 1 disc Blu-Ray that would have worse.
Also has Sony confirmed all region backwards compatibility or what? Because if this can play imports I'll jump on the $600 one. fuck buying a PS3 game on launch day I'll just buy some nice import PS2 games and enjoy myself.

$600 fucking insane. Period. Won't be buying it anytime soon. Waiting for multiple multiple price drops.

kinda off topic, but anyone catch the history of video gaming special? at the end, the guy was like, PS10, run hologram program # xxx, like star trek. point is, relating to the whole "PS3 will be around for 10 years", BS, i give it 3.

[quote name='Elrod'] To play most Blueray movies in High Definition, you will have to use the HDMI port. HDMI is HDCP compatible, while component and DVI are not.

Long story short: If you want to play Blueray DVD's in High Def (anything above 480p) on your HDTV, you will need to buy the $599 "premium" version.[/QUOTE]

DVI is HDCP compatible. Granted, not all HDTVs with DVI are hdcp compliant, but its not like the analog component cables that cant have the copy protection.

If you have a dvi that is hdcp compliant you can get full resolution on image constrained discs, you'd just need a dvi-hdmi cable.

[quote name='cdeener']This is one of the reasons I think Sony is shooting itself in the foot because they are using a technology that hasn't fully been proven yet and they want everyone to jump on the Blu-ray bandwagon. If this doesn't do well it spells doom for Blu-ray as a disk format.

It looks to me that Sony is trying to take the only department in its company that is making money into another department that loses money every quarter by using this with Blu-ray. I will give credit to MS for at least starting out with the DVD technology of today so if HD-DVD doesn't take off they can stick with what they have now but in the case of Sony they are putting all of their eggs in one basket and hoping that it will catch on.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. QFT

[quote name='evilmax17']Do both versions have PS1/PS2 memory card slots?[/QUOTE]

Sadly no at the moment. This is another absurd item of the PS3. How do you have full backwards compatability but no slot or anything when this has been such an integral part of previous systems.

bread's done
Back