The Dog Whisperer

D_Icon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Have any of you guys heard of this show on the National Geographic channel? The host is a dog pack leader and can control any dog. Something like that.

grab his neck and force him down, and hold him there (gently) for 30 seconds, then continue to get him to lie there while you slowly back away.

You must be pack leader.

Seriously though, if I had a problem like this I'd just try to get over my fear for the dog. I've seen him use a muzzle before on tough dogs before doing his whole neckbite/pinning/dominating thing. If all else fails, try to find professional help. What kinda dog is it?

[quote name='D_Icon']Forcefully rolling a big dog on its back was once recommended as a way to establish dominance, but it is now recognized as a good way to get bitten. People are advised not to try it. In fact, many animal behaviorists believe that in the long run meeting aggression with aggression breeds more aggression.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/31/opinion/31derr.html?pagewanted=2&ei=5090&en=a90240e104db46c9&ex=1314676800&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1180497859-xDgtjOcsSno2iRlTIWkzJw

Thats not good.
Damn Dog Whisperer is nothing but a pack of lies.[/quote]

Seems to work on the show, and everything is as it seems on TV! Did you try the Shht technique or simulated biting? j/k, you might wanna leave that alone. So did you try putting the dog on its back yet? Like I said you might need to try a muzzle to conquer your fears- the main thing it seems is that you need to get control of the house as your space. The dog shouldn't be that big. Don't be scared... be pack leader. Good luck.

We had to do something sort of like this with my german shepherd last summer when he was a few months old. Motherfucker would nip and bark at everyone like some big tough guy.

Just had to get him down, hold his mouth shut lightly and calmly say "No...no..." over and over so he would calm down.

He's doing a lot better now, the big bastard.

to get the calm assertiveness...think of something very positive and you need to feel that you are the best there is....then address the dog

I had, had is the key word, a beagle/pug mix. This was the most f*cking hyper dog I ever owned, he would bite and chew up everything. I tried to "submit" him, LOL, but he was so damn slippery. I guest submitting a dog requires practice and skill.

[quote name='D_Icon'] Also, I just found out what kind of dog it is, its a Jack Russell Terrier.[/QUOTE]

A dog that can be punted like a football is by its very definition not scary. (not that I've ever tried such a thing, of course)

However, yes, the best thing you can do is what other people have said, grab it by it's snout and push down for 5-10 seconds. Use loud and forceful words.

[quote name='D_Icon'] I took the dog for its first walk. The dog doesn't bark at other dogs or people, but it does do a lot of sniffing around. Its all he did, he went around almost every tree and left its mark everywhyere it sniffed. About 10 times the dog took a leak. Is this normal?[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is very normal. The dog is identifying previous scents and marking his perceived territory with its own scent. Perfectly normal behavior.

[quote name='D_Icon']Forcefully rolling a big dog on its back was once recommended as a way to establish dominance, but it is now recognized as a good way to get bitten. People are advised not to try it. In fact, many animal behaviorists believe that in the long run meeting aggression with aggression breeds more aggression.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/31/opinion/31derr.html?pagewanted=2&ei=5090&en=a90240e104db46c9&ex=1314676800&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1180497859-xDgtjOcsSno2iRlTIWkzJw

Thats not good.
Damn Dog Whisperer is nothing but a pack of lies.[/quote]

Hrmm... it couldn't be that these vets want you to come and see them instead of hiring someone like the Whisperer? His techniques seem to work fine. I think he also states that you should have a profesional do this. You aren't supposed to be trying this yourself.

I have a Jack Russell, mine's nice though. A bit wound up at times but he's good.

My fiancee is a licensed veterinary technician (the equivlent of a full-fledged nurse for people) and in her professional opinion, the dog whisperer guy knows his stuff. Whether or not anyone other than him can get it to work is a different story.

It's a tiny little dog. If you have to, get a glove that one would use while pruning bushes or something and take fucking charge.

how old is your dog, how many walks a day (all dogs should have 3 walk a day at about 15 minutes a piece), try putting alittle less food in the bowl as dogs sometimes don't eat as often if they are being over fed. The proper amount of activity may be all you need to cure your aggression issues, at least 45 minutes a day of activity

Off to look at my dog's food.

Both my dogs (both small, one is about 5 years old, the other is 11 or 12) eat Purina Pro Plan Chicken and Rice formula. It's dry food but I don't know where it was purchased, they're my fiancee's dogs, she buys their food.

bread's done
Back