The ECA - IGN Insider Subscription $14.95

Muthafodder

Banned
The ECA is giving their members a: "25% discount on an annual IGN Insider subscription - only $14.95 for a full year!"

The codes are unique.

From the email...(which is fucking weird as I thought I changed it)

"Dear ECA Member,

The ECA recently partnered with IGN.com - the Web's #1 source for videogame reviews, previews, guides, and more. IGN is offering ECA members a 25% discount on an annual IGN Insider subscription - only $14.95 for a full year! IGN Insiders have access to HD quality video, head-to-head platform comparisons, downloadable PDF guides, and custom game wallpapers.

To sign up for your annual IGN Insider account, follow these steps:

1. Go to your Member page
2. Grab your unique IGN code
3. Sign up on IGN here
Be sure to enter your ECA code in the "Promo code" box in top right

Once you've finished, you'll have access to all the IGN Insider goodies!"

[quote name='confoosious']ummmm...

i believe i speak for a lot of people when i say the ECA can go fuck themselves.

I'd rather pay full price for IGN than give the ECA any credit.

(no offense to the OP)[/QUOTE]

yup yup.

[quote name='Wazzup36']Anyone have the link to the old ECA cancel thread? I still haven't canceled my "subscription."[/QUOTE]
im interested tooo i havnt canceled mine yet

lol i filed a complaint on ECA to the BBB, about not being able to turn off the automatic membership renewal then the ECA replied to my complaint stating that it was stated clearly in the terms that members can cancel with a written letter. i then replied to them by saying that i didn't say anything about canceling membership, only turning off auto-renewal. then they said they would cancel my membership if i wanted to, without me having to send them any letters.

I received this e-mail promotion too. Odd seeing that I canceled my membership and all my information was supposed to be removed? I think it's time to get a new credit card # because these guys can't be trusted.

[quote name='noein']im interested tooo i havnt canceled mine yet[/QUOTE]

Log in and edit your account settings... under membership status you have to select "no additional term" and go to step 3 to turn off auto-renew. Continue to step 5 to cancel. Steps 2 and 4 are just reminders of all the "benefits" that you get as an eca member.
I just turned off auto-renew, maybe something good will come back (doubt it).

The funny thing is that 90% of you are just angry because The Eca stopped offering Amazon codes, and half of those 90% got the free year anyway. I really don't get why you claim they can't be trusted... I think they should bring back Amazon perks to us paying members and the free users get the shaft.

[quote name='GenPirate']The funny thing is that 90% of you are just angry because The Eca stopped offering Amazon codes[/QUOTE]

Got any more statistics to just pull out of your ass? I think plenty of paying members voluntarily ended their memberships early.

Why won't this go away. My eyes burn when I see the ECA .
And I'm sure we know which category the ECA won for last years Cheapy awards :?

[quote name='GenPirate']The funny thing is that 90% of you are just angry because The Eca stopped offering Amazon codes, and half of those 90% got the free year anyway. I really don't get why you claim they can't be trusted... I think they should bring back Amazon perks to us paying members and the free users get the shaft.[/QUOTE]

Let me guess... you were completely ignorant during the whole 4000 post thread on ECA?

[quote name='Vegan']Got any more statistics to just pull out of your ass? I think plenty of paying members voluntarily ended their memberships early.[/QUOTE]

Yes, over 800 + documented ended their memership early because of the lame duck website they had and switched the cancelation into retard mode.

I fully paid for a membership, the full $20.... ECA can gently suck and stroke my nuts.

[quote name='FrankieFiero']Log in and edit your account settings... under membership status you have to select "no additional term" and go to step 3 to turn off auto-renew. Continue to step 5 to cancel. Steps 2 and 4 are just reminders of all the "benefits" that you get as an eca member.
I just turned off auto-renew, maybe something good will come back (doubt it).[/QUOTE]

Thanks! They definitely make you jump through a lot of hoops to turn the auto-renew off and cancel the membership. I expected a piece of cheese when I finally finished.

Thanks, I had forgotten (ok ok... i've been putting it off) to do the cancel thingy and while doing it now, I just realized that mine was due to expire in march. Glad I got it done before it auto renew.

thanks.

[quote name='Wanderlai']I still need to cancel my origional ECA memebership. How is the best way to do that?[/QUOTE]

going through the steps listed above.

login, go to membership status and follow the steps.

At least it *appears* that mine is cancelled... :)

btw: Thanks OP for the *deal*. Otherwise, I may have renew my membership automatically.

Thanks for reminding me that I needed to cancel this. Probably would have forgotten about it entirely. Though it was annoying how intentionally deceptive turning off the auto-renew was. It kept showing identical screens with slightly different wording and flip-flopped choices for canceling, which were defaulted to not canceling. Definitely make sure that you actually read what the "Yes" and "No" options are for before you make your selection.

[quote name='dchrisd']Can I generate more than one code and get a bigger discount?[/QUOTE]
I heard the codes stack up to three times!!!!1111

I think the concern is: will they honor your cancellation or just charge you anyway. I'm going to give it a shot. Hopefully they give you some sort of confirmation. I used a paypal generated credit card, but just to potentially avoid the hassle I'll try this

[quote name='dubbfoolio']I think the concern is: will they honor your cancellation or just charge you anyway. I'm going to give it a shot. Hopefully they give you some sort of confirmation. I used a paypal generated credit card, but just to potentially avoid the hassle I'll try this[/QUOTE]

If they don't, there are plenty of places to go to fight them on it I'm sure. But I can't even imagine they'd be able to re-charge a paypal CC.

[quote name='Warlock82']If they don't, there are plenty of places to go to fight them on it I'm sure. But I can't even imagine they'd be able to re-charge a paypal CC.[/QUOTE]

yeah I knew I was safe anyway with the one time use paypal generated credit card... I considered leaving it as is to allow them to waste effort on their part, but I'm grateful they are now supposedly allowing online cancellation.

I paid for my membership back in July of last year (before they were given out for free and the whole Amazon code debacle), but finally went ahead and cancelled my membership 6-months early. No sense being connected to a group that you have no interested in supporting.

i got this same email today too...yea, no way eca...i didn't think i'd get anything more from them since i had canceled along with everyone else.

ECA clearly isn't on the cutting edge of technology. The subscription base for their mailing lists is probably an entirely separate database from the actual membership accounts. Or if not that, they probably mass mailed every member email address entered into the system whether or not the account is valid, rather than only "Current Members" or whatever.

[quote name='Vegan']Got any more statistics to just pull out of your ass? I think plenty of paying members voluntarily ended their memberships early.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I do actually. But I will post more later, so if you wish to view them just stalk my profile.

[quote name='xycury']Let me guess... you were completely ignorant during the whole 4000 post thread on ECA?

Yes, over 800 + documented ended their memership early because of the lame duck website they had and switched the cancelation into retard mode.

I fully paid for a membership, the full $20.... ECA can gently suck and stroke my nuts.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I did go there. Most of what I read was complaints about how to cancel the account and why did they get rid of the Amazon coupons. If I missed something, I do apologize. I do not have the time to read 4000 posts and if you do, I feel sorry for you. Now I must leave this thread, it bores me so I will not be back to it so replying to my post would be futile at best. Have a nice day and do enjoy reading your 4000 post thread, if you wish I would like to contact the Guinness Book of World Records on your behalf and accept the plaque bestowed upon you because that would be a feat.

[quote name='GenPirate']Yeah, I do actually. But I will post more later, so if you wish to view them just stalk my profile.

Actually, I did go there. Most of what I read was complaints about how to cancel the account and why did they get rid of the Amazon coupons. If I missed something, I do apologize. I do not have the time to read 4000 posts and if you do, I feel sorry for you. Now I must leave this thread, it bores me so I will not be back to it so replying to my post would be futile at best. Have a nice day and do enjoy reading your 4000 post thread, if you wish I would like to contact the Guinness Book of World Records on your behalf and accept the plaque bestowed upon you because that would be a feat.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. You reminded me why I need to cancel my ECA account. It was a consumer protection agency that removed a checkbox for auto-renew (because it did not work), did not send out an email to their customers to warn/protect them that it wasn't working and that any who had used it in the previous months would be charged unknowingly, and then defended this behavior.

This is the best case scenario. This assumes everything they said was true, and doesn't deal with any Amazon-this-or-that side tracking that people get caught up with.

[quote name='GenPirate']Yeah, I do actually. But I will post more later, so if you wish to view them just stalk my profile.

Actually, I did go there. Most of what I read was complaints about how to cancel the account and why did they get rid of the Amazon coupons. If I missed something, I do apologize. I do not have the time to read 4000 posts and if you do, I feel sorry for you. Now I must leave this thread, it bores me so I will not be back to it so replying to my post would be futile at best. Have a nice day and do enjoy reading your 4000 post thread, if you wish I would like to contact the Guinness Book of World Records on your behalf and accept the plaque bestowed upon you because that would be a feat.[/QUOTE]

hey cheapy, how come Hal Halpin is allowed to come on here with multiple aliases?

[quote name='Phokis']Thanks. You reminded me why I need to cancel my ECA account. It was a consumer protection agency that removed a checkbox for auto-renew (because it did not work), did not send out an email to their customers to warn/protect them that it wasn't working and that any who had used it in the previous months would be charged unknowingly, and then defended this behavior.

This is the best case scenario. This assumes everything they said was true, and doesn't deal with any Amazon-this-or-that side tracking that people use as a smokescreen.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I had to make a correction. ;)

Oh, and I almost forgot this little gem. People were not allowed to voice their concerns on the ECA forums because they were being unruly, when actually they were being unruly for not being able to voice their concerns.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ogami Itto']Is this like the biggest thread backfire on this board? lol.[/QUOTE]

Nah, im pretty sure the direction of this thread was exactly where the OP wanted it to go.

Only $15 to get the same news I get from Gamespot, 1up and Joystick for free? How could I not jump on this. Not only do I not like the ECA affiliation, but IGN is pretty terrible too.

[quote name='Blumpkin']Only $15 to get the same news I get from Gamespot, 1up and Joystick for free? How could I not jump on this. Not only do I not like the ECA affiliation, but IGN is pretty terrible too.[/QUOTE]

No argument here. I only quoted you because you have the best username ever.

[quote name='Tsukento']lol Paying IGN for info and videos that're free everywhere else.[/QUOTE]
I remember waaaaaaaay back when IGN was THE news site for gaming. Then they started the sub-based model and I never went back.

[quote name='Jodou']I remember waaaaaaaay back when IGN was THE news site for gaming. Then they started the sub-based model and I never went back.[/QUOTE]

Yup, I don't even go there anymore. The whole place has turned into fanboy central - seems like every article they write these days is just made to incite flamewars. They've basically become the National Enquirer of game sites...

bread's done
Back