The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Gen. Discussion & Info

So I joined the Thieves Guild just now. I followed that woman who was running off and right as she was about to grab the diary, I snagged it and then stole some lock picks from her :). The pirates got mad at me when I approached them, so I boarded their ship without them noticing (jumped) and took a lot of crap. I was trying to open the lock to the "Main Booty", but I couldn't quite do it. Where do I find Ongar?

BTW, for people looking for locks, I remember seeing a guy named like Shady John or something outside of the imperiel city and he sold a bunch of "shady" stuff including lock picks.

[quote name='2Fast']How are you guys getting into shops and stealing stuff without getting caught by the guards? No matter how far away from a guard I am, how stealthy I am, or how fast I do it, the guard always comes in the shop and catches me.[/QUOTE]

I go into Stealth mode. When the Eye in stealth mode is not lite up I steal when its lite though that means someone is lookign at you so don't steal.

Tech- Onger is in Borum. Follow your arrow guide on your radar to him.

So I joined the dark brotherhood. I had to go to the inn to kill that guy, and on my way, a huge ogre attacked my horse. I jumped off, the Ogre bitch slapped my horse and my horse took off. Fine. I decided to fight. Crap. I got knocked around. Here comes two imps shooting lightning.

I hop on top a rock and fire steel arrows down into the Ogre. About 15 enter him, he doesn't die. I make a break for it. I get down to like | | that much health, and cast a minor healing spell on me. I saw an inn/tavern/bar. I ran in. I immediately began healing and hid behind the counter. The ogre bust through. The two people at the bar and the bartender (that's just what I call them) jumped up (one person at the bar jumped up so fast she knocked stuff off the bar) and began beating the shit out of him with their swords. He died in a few seconds while I stepped back and laughed my ass off.

[quote name='Scorch']So I joined the dark brotherhood. I had to go to the inn to kill that guy, and on my way, a huge ogre attacked my horse. I jumped off, the Ogre bitch slapped my horse and my horse took off. Fine. I decided to fight. Crap. I got knocked around. Here comes two imps shooting lightning.

I hop on top a rock and fire steel arrows down into the Ogre. About 15 enter him, he doesn't die. I make a break for it. I get down to like | | that much health, and cast a minor healing spell on me. I saw an inn/tavern/bar. I ran in. I immediately began healing and hid behind the counter. The ogre bust through. The two people at the bar and the bartender (that's just what I call them) jumped up (one person at the bar jumped up so fast she knocked stuff off the bar) and began beating the shit out of him with their swords. He died in a few seconds while I stepped back and laughed my ass off.[/quote]

Goodtimes man goodtimes.

This game is evil way too addicting! shit i accidently grab something from mage guild and got banned..now i have to find some stupid flowers and stuff to remove my suspension... lame

Dunno if you guys know this or not, but if you need to get to a city, go to the map, put the cursor over an icon in the city (like an inn), and hit A - it warps you right there.

[quote name='Scorch']Dunno if you guys know this or not, but if you need to get to a city, go to the map, put the cursor over an icon in the city (like an inn), and hit A - it warps you right there.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

anyways, anybody know if there's a way to quick save?

[quote name='AshesofWake']:rofl:

anyways, anybody know if there's a way to quick save?[/QUOTE]

..it automatically quicksaves for you.

fuck the Argonian race - I can't even kill wolves in five swings. Piece of shit race. I'm going to start over with a Dark Elf.

[quote name='kelso']I am afraid to start playing because I won't be able to stop.[/QUOTE]
well i just played for almost four hours, time to go to sleep. Also does anyone know where i can find ecotplasm?

Dammit, my game keeps glitching while this prisoner and a guard are talking, so the guard just stands in the same place forever. I could just kill the guard, but then I would forfeit a sweet bonus. Dammit.

[quote name='Scorch']Dunno if you guys know this or not, but if you need to get to a city, go to the map, put the cursor over an icon in the city (like an inn), and hit A - it warps you right there.[/QUOTE]

The comical irony in this is overwhelming.

[quote name='2Fast']Dammit, my game keeps glitching while this prisoner and a guard are talking, so the guard just stands in the same place forever. I could just kill the guard, but then I would forfeit a sweet bonus. Dammit.[/QUOTE]

No your ok the guard I guessing Supossed to stay there. Sneak and Open your gate. Get your Bow out and shot the Hit right in the face. Done Deal Guard won't even blink.

Well right now im in a pretty bad ass cave crushing Skeletons that have really good weapons. Everyone I kill they drop a weapon worth 800-1600 gold. Not bad for free stuff while I level.

[quote name='kelso']well i just played for almost four hours, time to go to sleep. Also does anyone know where i can find ecotplasm?[/QUOTE]

Kill some ghosts in one of the forts / dungeons / caves, and search their... "bodies".

[quote name='Brak']Kill some ghosts in one of the forts / dungeons / caves, and search their... "bodies".[/QUOTE]
thanks

[quote name='pimpinc333']No your ok the guard I guessing Supossed to stay there. Sneak and Open your gate. Get your Bow out and shot the Hit right in the face. Done Deal Guard won't even blink.[/quote]

Whew! Thanks, I thought it was glitching because when I passed a certain part of the cell, the guard and the prisoner wouldn't finish their conversation (like they did when I just stood around. Didn't even think to use my bow, thanks a bunch.

Does anyone else have issues with the game freezing when you walk around the oustide/overworld for too long? My 360 just starts making some louder noises and everything stops. It used to happen with Ghost Recon and Fight Night too.. No blinking lights or anything.. just stops.

I think it's time to cash in on that $40 GameCrazy year warranty.

[quote name='jer7583']Does anyone else have issues with the game freezing when you walk around the oustide/overworld for too long? My 360 just starts making some louder noises and everything stops. It used to happen with Ghost Recon and Fight Night too.. No blinking lights or anything.. just stops.

I think it's time to cash in on that $40 GameCrazy year warranty.[/QUOTE]

Nope. Haven't heard of it, either.

no that's auto save, i mean quick save, that means save anywhere really fast, without going to the menu

just finished the Arena quest, first part, got the Grand Champion award, freaking haaaaaard, at least for my class, thief....

[quote name='jer7583']Does anyone else have issues with the game freezing when you walk around the oustide/overworld for too long? My 360 just starts making some louder noises and everything stops. It used to happen with Ghost Recon and Fight Night too.. No blinking lights or anything.. just stops.

I think it's time to cash in on that $40 GameCrazy year warranty.[/QUOTE]

Does it usually happen after the game flashes "loading area"? Mine freezes for a few seconds if I'm moving forward too quickly when the game is trying to do that "invisible" loading (without a loading screen). It's like the game isn't quite ready for me to be where I am so it freezes for a few seconds and loads the area. It's a little frustrating, but everyone is dealing with this right? Or at least most quick characters? If not, maybe I should think about cashing in my Best Buy warranty...

[quote name='A7las']Does it usually happen after the game flashes "loading area"? Mine freezes for a few seconds if I'm moving forward too quickly when the game is trying to do that "invisible" loading (without a loading screen). It's like the game isn't quite ready for me to be where I am so it freezes for a few seconds and loads the area. It's a little frustrating, but everyone is dealing with this right? Or at least most quick characters? If not, maybe I should think about cashing in my Best Buy warranty...[/QUOTE]
Yea mine does this all the time.

[quote name='A7las']Does it usually happen after the game flashes "loading area"? Mine freezes for a few seconds if I'm moving forward too quickly when the game is trying to do that "invisible" loading (without a loading screen). It's like the game isn't quite ready for me to be where I am so it freezes for a few seconds and loads the area. It's a little frustrating, but everyone is dealing with this right? Or at least most quick characters? If not, maybe I should think about cashing in my Best Buy warranty...[/QUOTE]

Ohhh... that. Everyone experiences it.

[quote name='Brak']Ohhh... that. Everyone experiences it.[/QUOTE]

Well.. I guess it's bad that it happens, but good that I'm not the only one. Though, it's a testament to how great the game is that I don't even care about problems like that.

Is it me or is this game extremely easy? I chose Dark Elf and have almost no fighting stats, yet I kill any gaurd in 2 hits and I can take on at least 8 people/creatures at once. Oh, and I learned not to be a vampire just yet, but I will definitely become one once my main quests are done. I have a question, though, are there only 16 Oblivion Gates? I have 14 or 15 done so far.

I became a warrior in the fighting arena... the combat in this game is wicked good... This is probably the best melee combat I've seen in a first person game.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Is it me or is this game extremely easy? I chose Dark Elf and have almost no fighting stats, yet I kill any gaurd in 2 hits and I can take on at least 8 people/creatures at once. Oh, and I learned not to be a vampire just yet, but I will definitely become one once my main quests are done. I have a question, though, are there only 16 Oblivion Gates? I have 14 or 15 done so far.[/QUOTE]

Wow. I have closed Zero Gates so far :( . But I did manage to complete about 25 quests which isn't bad. Also at Level 17 so When I do start to do the gates hopefully that will make it easier for my Thief.

[quote name='pimpinc333'] Also at Level 17 so When I do start to do the gates hopefully that will make it easier for my Thief.[/QUOTE]

You do know the game scales to your level, right?

I'm a dark elf and not having THAT easy of a time. I closed one gate, did a few guild quests here and there, and now in the story I'm at...

The part where you join the blades in that snowy place after you bring Martin to safety

Oh and I'm only a level 4 :oops:

[quote name='pimpinc333']Wow. I have closed Zero Gates so far :( . But I did manage to complete about 25 quests which isn't bad. Also at Level 17 so When I do start to do the gates hopefully that will make it easier for my Thief.[/quote]

Yeah, the gates are pretty cool, and some are even a small type of puzzle because you have to figure out how to open gates and bridges and caves and what not. I definitely recommend the Arena to anyone who is playing who has decent fighting skills in the game. Very fun plus the reward you get once you are Arena Grand Champion is awesome (even though it looks non-masculine). I wish there was an online Arena that you could compete against your friends in, I'd love to test out my character against anyone else.

[quote name='AshesofWake']
just finished the Arena quest, first part, got the Grand Champion award, freaking haaaaaard, at least for my class, thief....[/QUOTE]
I don't know what you're talking about. Took me about 20 minutes to go through the whole Arena story line with my THF. From pit dog to Grand Champion. I got some super enchanted bow and marksman gear(I've done over 70 quests...which is a lot right now, don't know which quest it was from) which kills everything in the arena with two arrows.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Is it me or is this game extremely easy? I chose Dark Elf and have almost no fighting stats, yet I kill any gaurd in 2 hits and I can take on at least 8 people/creatures at once.[/QUOTE]
If you are finding the fights too easy and want more of a challenge, you can up the difficulty at any time in the options menu.

Quick question - How do I get diesases/curses off of me? The loading screens mention praying at one of the chapels. Everytime I try that damn altar tells me to repent for my sins. I don't have any bounty on my head at the moment so whats up with that?

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Is it me or is this game extremely easy? I chose Dark Elf and have almost no fighting stats, yet I kill any gaurd in 2 hits and I can take on at least 8 people/creatures at once. Oh, and I learned not to be a vampire just yet, but I will definitely become one once my main quests are done. I have a question, though, are there only 16 Oblivion Gates? I have 14 or 15 done so far.[/QUOTE]

Check the difficulty slider in game X. See where it's at if you think it's a little too easy for you-- for some reason mine was all the way up when I started my guy, the first two rats killed me.

I've found this game too hard, if anything. Imps can kill me in no-time, and it usually takes me 15+ arrows or sword swipes. I am a thief Khajiin (or whatever the race is called) and the first Obilivion gate was super-frustrating because I had to heal at least 5 times per fight.

Any tips?

Well, I finally played it today....took a Dark Elf into combat. I made it out of the sewers, wandered around for a bit and that was about it. I'm on my way to deliver the amulet. Seems like I might be OVERwhelmed by this game. I'm not a BIG RPG fan, but I MIGHT be able to get into this. I just have to learn what everything is. I enjoyed FABLE, but it was a bit easier to follow than this. We'll see.....

Good Luck to myself.

Well so far only great reviews:

Official Xbox Magazine 4/1/2006 9.5 out of 10 95.0%
GamePro 3/24/2006 4.5 out of 5 90.0%
Eurogamer 3/24/2006 10 out of 10 100.0%
TeamXBOX 3/23/2006 9.5 out of 10 95.0%
Games Radar 3/22/2006 10 out of 10 100.0%
Yahoo! Games 3/23/2006 5 out of 5 100.0%
GameDaily 3/21/2006 4.5 out of 5 90.0%
UGO 3/24/2006 A 95.0%
Xbox 360 Advanced 3/22/2006 9.3 out of 10 93.0%

That's damn good.

What is the best way to gain levels early on? I barely find anything to fight in the wild. I have never played any of the ES games before so I am a little lost.

I found the random dungeons best for levelling up... and of course the first Oblivion gate. Remember to sleep in order to level up.

I know that enemies scale up with your level, but is it only total level or level of your skills? Say, for example, that I'm level 4 or 5 with all my skills levelled up to Journeyman level -- anyone know which level set they scale up with?

[quote name='Roufuss']You do know the game scales to your level, right?[/QUOTE]

Sure But now I have more life and a stronger blade. I went back to the beginning to fight creatures that gave me trouble in the early levels and I just about 1-2 hit them now in which they used to take 11-15 hits. So it really doesnt scale up to your level. Unless the main questing does.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Word of advice, NEVER allow yourself to catch vampirism. The quest to cure it is fucking annoying as hell.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't aware that going into a church to pray and cure it was considered annoying. :) JK JK JK Yea if you get it just go into a church and pray......Vampirism is all gone then.

I'm actually having some trouble getting money in this game. I'm a mage and I'm playing it pretty "safely" so I haven't been robbing any stores or anything. Hopefully enemies will have some gold on them or else I'm never going to get anywhere.

bread's done
Back