The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='mmn']I'm actually having some trouble getting money in this game. I'm a mage and I'm playing it pretty "safely" so I haven't been robbing any stores or anything. Hopefully enemies will have some gold on them or else I'm never going to get anywhere.[/QUOTE]

They really don't at the point where I am now. But they are starting to drop valueable weapons and armor that you can sell for money. I say you should start playing it not safe and join the Thief's Guild. Then steal all the items and weapons you want then sell them.

[quote name='pimpinc333']

I wasn't aware that going into a church to pray and cure it was considered annoying. :) JK JK JK Yea if you get it just go into a church and pray......Vampirism is all gone then.[/QUOTE]

weak symptoms can be cured in 3 days within you getting it, if you get full on vampirism after the 3rd day, the quest you have to go on to reverse it is a pain in the ass.

[quote name='mmn']I'm actually having some trouble getting money in this game. I'm a mage and I'm playing it pretty "safely" so I haven't been robbing any stores or anything. Hopefully enemies will have some gold on them or else I'm never going to get anywhere.[/QUOTE]

fight in the Arena, i think i made about 5 or 6 thousand gold by completing it.

Damn, I'm spending way too much time on this game. All this wandering around though doesn't really help my level. I think 7 hours in and I'm only level 2. Anyway, a few questions:

If you leave behind items, do they usually stay there? I dropped off some stuff at the Weyan Priory (sp?) and also in the abandoned house in Chibodryl (sp?). Or will I have to buy my own house?

Speaking of...how do I buy that house for sale by the river in Chibodryl?

Gotta try out for the Thief's Guild soon I think. Though my lockpicking skills are only at 34 right now and everytime I see a lone person in a back alley I can't bring myself to pickpocket them. There have been a few that I've wanted to just whack in a back alley though for their attitude.

Speaking of murder, damn that's one creepy spot--the back door to the Dark Brotherhood. The music and the atmosphere. Though I can't get in just quite yet. Guess I'm gonna have to find me a target if I decide to go that route.

Played some more tonight. I am now a footpad in the thieves guild after doing the first quest and I found another Oblivion gate. I also went through that dungeon you first see when you come out of the sewers.

I got a side quest in the temple district of the imperial city. Some guy's wife came up to me and asked me to meet her husband at this other guy's house. It turns out theres a group of 3 vampire hunters that want me to help them hunt down this guy that they saw kill someone. Sounds fun.

I went into the Arena for the first time and won my first battle. I thought it was going to be like Gladiator with a big arena and a lot of people in the stand cheering and all that stuff, from what I could see there was only like 3 guys. Does the Arena ever become "packed"?

[quote name='Technique']Does the Arena ever become "packed"?[/quote]Not from what I saw. Maybe the part after you complete the Grand Champion it picks up, but I never saw too many people in the crowds. Not in the Gladiator type level anyway.

[quote name='2Fast']Wow, Gamespot.com gave it a 9.6, thats an almost unheard of score from them.[/QUOTE]

I can't even remember the last PC game that got that kind of score from them. Wow got a 9.5 but this is higher and a single player RPG... which automatically makes it one of the best things ever.

[quote name='Technique']Does the Arena ever become "packed"?[/QUOTE]

I heard some cheering on my last two fights... otherwise, nope.

So I'm only about 2 hours into the main story... yet, I've:

Bought about 5 houses, racked up nearly 30k gold, completed the Arena, became the master of the Dark brotherhood. Level 9 with pretty good gear.

Think it's about time I beat the game, heh.

Anyone know of a specific place I take my weapons to get the magic recharged?

I know one you compleye the Mage Guild guests, you can join the Arcane University and do it there, but is there anyone who does it for gold now?

Well, that last arena fight (to become the champion, not the grand champion) was a bit anticlimactic. You fight a swordsman, archer and wizard/spellcaster. You get the boar to help out. All three charged at me. I swung at the archer and swordsman, the boar charged at the wizard and killed her (which is weird, because it's not set on easy). The archer backed down. I swung a few times on the swordsman, and again, the boar charged, hit the swordsman from behind and killed her. The archer came up from the tunnel (he had retreated down there) and, again, was promptly killed by the boar.

I need to figure out a way to record my game, the most random things ever happen in my game.

I think I screwed up the mage guild recommendation quest. In Choroll, you have to retrieve a book, and you can either give it to the guildmaster and get the recommendation or give it to this other lady outside, and you get a spell. Or, you can get the recommendation, steal it, and then give it to the lady again. But, I don't seem to have that recommendation, and theres no way to get it now.

The book and quest are called Fingers of the Mountain.

What exactly have you done for the quest so far?

If you give her the book first, you can still get the recommendation by stealing it back from her room at the Inn.

I went back to my old save point and tried just giving the mage guy the book and telling the girl I wouldn't steal it, and I still didn't get the recommendation. He said he'd do it, but it still wasn't done.

I tried stealing it back, but theres no option to talk about it at all.

Currently, what I did was give the mage guild guy the book, and supposedly I got the recommendation. Then I stole the book from his room and gave it to the girl, she gave me the notes, and I went to the mountain, got the spell, and closed that quest. There was an option to talk about the book right after I gave it to him, but when I stole it back from her just in case, there was no option.

I've done so much since this point that I'd be better off just starting a new character than going back to the old save point. Its one of those things that really makes me want to put a game down and not pick it up for a long time.

[quote name='Brak']Anyone know of a specific place I take my weapons to get the magic recharged?

I know one you compleye the Mage Guild guests, you can join the Arcane University and do it there, but is there anyone who does it for gold now?[/QUOTE]

Talk to one of the people in the Mage's Guild. They will have it in there Action bar, it's called "Recharge". It is pretty expensive compared to when you repair armor.

[quote name='cleaver']I created a class for my dark elf character, Biggus Dickus, that was strong in magic and thievery. He is a Negromancer.[/quote]

He has a wife, you know...

I was playing last night....finally trying to get into it, and I got a DAMN DIRTY DISC ERROR. luckily it autosaved right before it....but then it was running slowly. I think I had to clear the cache....but I was annoyed. Not sure what happened, but DDE seem to be more common lately for me.

[quote name='cleaver']I created a class for my dark elf character, Biggus Dickus, that was strong in magic and thievery. He is a Negromancer.[/QUOTE]

This is probably the funniest thing I'm going to read all day. If you don't mind, I'm tossing that in my sig.

But anyway, I like the way the combat is in the game, fighting is so much better! And I've already killed 2 guards and am still at level 1. Any idea how to raise your character level? And where the hell can I find a vampire?

Well, I'm about a level 5, now. I'm a Dark Elf. I just closed my first Oblivion portal, and killed the bad guys at the Wernon Pyroy(sp?) who stole the amulet, and I have to take the guy up to the snowy place. I left him there, though, and I'm gonna go try to become a Dark Brotherhood member, and just do some other stuff.

If I wasn't a Dark Elf, I would have NEVER survived the first Oblivion portal. Their Ancestor Guardian spell saved my ass many times. Its the spell where you can make a ghost type guy come out and shoot some sort of mysticall ball attack at the enemies. It really helped. And the Dark Elves also have a high resistance to fire. Thank god, because EVERYONE in that portal was shootin fire at me. Funny thing. The first guy I met in the portal was pretty cool, and it seemed like he might be in there for the long haul with me. Well, we came upon a bridge, with a bad guy standing on it, and the guy I was traveling with ran across. Right as he reached the guy, all these rocks from the cliff above crashed down on both of them, killing them. I was like, ".........o....k." It was pretty funny, though, although I probably could have used that guy.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Talk to one of the people in the Mage's Guild. They will have it in there Action bar, it's called "Recharge". It is pretty expensive compared to when you repair armor.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I figured it out (finally) a few hours ago, when I was playing from 1 AM to 10 AM (before work). Holy fuck; that's a long time! I've clocked in 24 hours so far... Cripes. I think this is the most I've played video games within a week... and the week ain't over yet!

Anyway...

Quest questions!

Has anyone else found that rare bottle of wine that prompts a quest? I can't recall the name and can't check (I'm at work :( ), but I remember "smash" being in it's name.

Anyway, and this doesn't spoil much, it prompts a quest of merely "try to find out more info" on the bottle of wine. No location, no nothin'. And, to boot, I can't remember where I found it and I can't remember where I put it.

I lost a bulk of my unused (but good) items because I took a bedroom in one of the mage guilds (that became unoccupied, because of a mission -- I don't want to spoil it), and slapped some of my items in there. I went back a few in-game days later, and my shit was gone and replaced with somebody else's shit. I think the bottle was in there. I'm hoping the same wine can be found elsewhere.

I skimmed through the guide and didn't find dick in the Misc. Quest section or the Freeform Quests.

I just started playing this last night, and I must say that I feel a bit overwhelmed. I've never played an Elder Scrolls game before, so everything is a bit new to me. Any tips for a beginner like me?

[quote name='Sk8erlink7']I just started playing this last night, and I must say that I feel a bit overwhelmed. I've never played an Elder Scrolls game before, so everything is a bit new to me. Any tips for a beginner like me?[/QUOTE]

Just have fun with it. Run around, explore everything, talk to everyone, join all the guilds. When you feel comfortable, you can start to tackle the main quest if you'd like to.

[quote name='Arikado']Just have fun with it. Run around, explore everything, talk to everyone, join all the guilds. When you feel comfortable, you can start to tackle the main quest if you'd like to.[/QUOTE]

Also I say to stop the overwhleming feeling do 1 quest at a time. The cool thing of Oblivion is the Arrows on the radar. You can choose a quest and it basically tells you where to go to help you out so your not wondering around for 2 hours tring to find someone/thing.

I'm getting really annoyed. I'm a level 5, about 9 hours in, and so far I've got 1300 gold and complete shit for weapons and armor. Damn game.

At least you're 3 levels ahead of me with about the same time played mmn.

Can anyone explain the whole interaction/bribing system in the game? I really don't get it at all. I get reading the people's faces and choosing what they like, but then it gets to the wedge that they don't like. So I have to hit "A" there? I have to hit "A" at every wedge? I don't really get it.

I just completed a quest about vampire hunting that started from a guy in the Temple District of the Imperial City. A really fun quest. I won't spoil the whole thing, but I will tell you that you get a cool magic ring as a reward and if you kill a vampire and bring their vampire dust from their corpses' to the main guy of the "Order", he will give you 250 gold per dust. So after completing the quest I got 1000 gold and a nice magical ring.

[quote name='zewone']Soul gems.[/QUOTE]

Can't make 'em yet, as far as I can tell. I think I need more magic training, or some trash.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']At least you're 3 levels ahead of me with about the same time played mmn.

Can anyone explain the whole interaction/bribing system in the game? I really don't get it at all. I get reading the people's faces and choosing what they like, but then it gets to the wedge that they don't like. So I have to hit "A" there? I have to hit "A" at every wedge? I don't really get it.[/QUOTE]

You want to hit "A" on every wedge, yes. The ones they like the least, you want to try and have the smallest wedge percentages fall in those two places. The two they like the most, you want the largest wedges to fall on those. You have to try and choose wisely, as the wedges turn with every selection -- you do get one free spin, however, by pressing X.

[quote name='Technique']I just completed a quest about vampire hunting that started from a guy in the Temple District of the Imperial City. A really fun quest. I won't spoil the whole thing, but I will tell you that you get a cool magic ring as a reward and if you kill a vampire and bring their vampire dust from their corpses' to the main guy of the "Order", he will give you 250 gold per dust. So after completing the quest I got 1000 gold and a nice magical ring.[/QUOTE]

Did you make sure that none of the vampires bit you? If you caught vampirism (starts out as hemo-something or other) then you're in for a world of pain-in-the-ass-ness in order to cure it.

[quote name='doubledown']I was playing last night....finally trying to get into it, and I got a DAMN DIRTY DISC ERROR. luckily it autosaved right before it....but then it was running slowly. I think I had to clear the cache....but I was annoyed. Not sure what happened, but DDE seem to be more common lately for me.[/QUOTE]

HAHA! you really are the Slidecage of the 360. I'm not suprised anymore :p Seriously, send that system back to MS (again) and get another one.

Can anyone explain the whole interaction/bribing system in the game? I really don't get it at all. I get reading the people's faces and choosing what they like, but then it gets to the wedge that they don't like. So I have to hit "A" there? I have to hit "A" at every wedge? I don't really get it.

Think of the wedges as 0, 20, 50 and 100 percent (the sizes). You want to get the 0 and 20 wedges on the frown faces and the 50 and 100 wedges on the happy ones.

The object is to get that middle # to 100%. If you get the big wedges on the unhappy faces, the number goes down. If you get the little wedges on the angry faces and the big wedges on the happy faces, the number goes up.

Or you could just pay/bribe them.

/edit: Yeah, pretty much the same thing Brak said.

you do get one free spin, however, by pressing X.

Not true in some cases. My Argonian got the free spin, but my elf doesn't.

[quote name='Scorch']Not true in some cases. My Argonian got the free spin, but my elf doesn't.[/QUOTE]

Hmm. You may need a high level in Speechcraft, then. You'd probably be able to get the free spin once your Speechcraft advances.

[quote name='Brak']Hmm. You may need a high level in Speechcraft, then. You'd probably be able to get the free spin once your Speechcraft advances.[/QUOTE]

That's what I figured. I've been working on that as the elf but I still haven't got it. I hope I get it soon, that free spin helped out a ton.

[quote name='Brak']
Quest questions!

Has anyone else found that rare bottle of wine that prompts a quest? I can't recall the name and can't check (I'm at work :( ), but I remember "smash" being in it's name.

Anyway, and this doesn't spoil much, it prompts a quest of merely "try to find out more info" on the bottle of wine. No location, no nothin'. And, to boot, I can't remember where I found it and I can't remember where I put it.

I lost a bulk of my unused (but good) items because I took a bedroom in one of the mage guilds (that became unoccupied, because of a mission -- I don't want to spoil it), and slapped some of my items in there. I went back a few in-game days later, and my shit was gone and replaced with somebody else's shit. I think the bottle was in there. I'm hoping the same wine can be found elsewhere.

I skimmed through the guide and didn't find dick in the Misc. Quest section or the Freeform Quests.[/QUOTE]
pg 217 of your guide the quest is "a venerable vintage" the quest giver is at the wawnett inn which is just west outside the imperial city.

[quote name='Brak']Can't make 'em yet, as far as I can tell. I think I need more magic training, or some trash.[/QUOTE]
I find them all the time. You can break in to magic stores or guilds and find them laying around.

[quote name='billyG']pg 217 of your guide the quest is "a venerable vintage" the quest giver is at the wawnett inn which is just west outside the imperial city.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. (I checked, and it's page 271, actually.)

I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to find another bottle. My mild-OCD was driving me insane.

[quote name='zewone']I find them all the time. You can break in to magic stores or guilds and find them laying around.[/QUOTE]

Oh, yeah. I got a dickload of them... but don't I need to fill them with magic / souls first, or something like that? I don't believe I'm able to do so.

I just found out the hard way that the enemies do indeed level up with you. I tried the Save Kvatch quest at level 8 or so. Got my ass whupped. I'm level 17 now went back to it and guess what? The little dinosaurs and Human Torch ladies were gone. In there place was 3 new kinds of enemies I had never seen before. An "Ice Hulk", "Buff-as-hell Alligator man", and (my favorite) "Huge ass blackwidow spider lady". WAY tougher than before, still managed to beat it though.

[quote name='Brak']Oh, yeah. I got a dickload of them... but don't I need to fill them with magic / souls first, or something like that? I don't believe I'm able to do so.[/QUOTE]
I'm not exactly sure how they work. I usually sell them. I just found out they recharge magic weapons from one of the loading screens.

[quote name='Scorch']Think of the wedges as 0, 20, 50 and 100 percent (the sizes). You want to get the 0 and 20 wedges on the frown faces and the 50 and 100 wedges on the happy ones.

The object is to get that middle # to 100%. If you get the big wedges on the unhappy faces, the number goes down. If you get the little wedges on the angry faces and the big wedges on the happy faces, the number goes up.

Or you could just pay/bribe them.

/edit: Yeah, pretty much the same thing Brak said.

Not true in some cases. My Argonian got the free spin, but my elf doesn't.[/quote]Thanks Brak and Scorch. I guess I'll just go around and talk to villagers to practice it.

So does your speechcraft skill go up with every use or only if the rating of the person you talk to goes up meaning a successfull attempt?

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Thanks Brak and Scorch. I guess I'll just go around and talk to villagers to practice it.

So does your speechcraft skill go up with every use or only if the rating of the person you talk to goes up meaning a successfull attempt?[/QUOTE]

I think the exp. goes up merely for attempting it, much like hitting enemies (even if you hit their shield, etc.). I'm 90% certain of that...

Remember that the longer you hesitate, the more the rating decreases. It drops a point every couple of seconds (it might be one second, actually). Don't feel rushed, though, because if you nail them with something they like, it adds quite a few points.

Has anyone actually completed the mages guild recommendation quests and gained access to the Arcane University? I'm still having problems, and if its just me, I'll just make a new character and start all over. How did you get the recommendation from Choroll?

[quote name='dafoomie']Has anyone actually completed the mages guild recommendation quests and gained access to the Arcane University? I'm still having problems, and if its just me, I'll just make a new character and start all over. How did you get the recommendation from Choroll?[/QUOTE]

You have to give the Mage Guild leader guy the book you find on Cloud Top in the "charred remains". I didn't even bother trying to give it to the girl or steal it back from the guild to give to her because I wanted the recommendation.

[quote name='mmn']You have to give the Mage Guild leader guy the book you find on Cloud Top in the "charred remains". I didn't even bother trying to give it to the girl or steal it back from the guild to give to her because I wanted the recommendation.[/QUOTE]
I went back and tried that, too. I still didn't get the recommendation, even though he said he'd give it.

I'm screwed, I've done a ton of work since I was at that point, and theres no way to fix it.

I found out why I can't get my disease cured at temples. I have more infamy than fame. I read you can buy cure disease potions so this is what I'll do, once I find one. Hope this helps someone.

[quote name='zewone']I found out why I can't get my disease cured at temples. I have more infamy than fame. I read you can buy cure disease potions so this is what I'll do, once I find one. Hope this helps someone.[/QUOTE]

Mix mandrake root and Elf cup cap to make "Cure Disease" potion, if you have those two shits.

There are Elf cup cap plants near Gold Coast near Anvil and West Weald.

Mandrake are at some farms. Whitman farm and Odiil farm.

[quote name='Scorch']HAHA! you really are the Slidecage of the 360. I'm not suprised anymore :p Seriously, send that system back to MS (again) and get another one.
[/QUOTE]

Well, I played a bit more today and it was ok....weird, evil sheep maybe.

So, do any of the novice RPG people feel a bit overwhelmed by this game? I think I enjoy it, but it's almost TOO much of a commitment with this game. I like to finish my games and I feel I'll play this here and there, but never finish it....we'll see. I may just need a few more hours to play.

bread's done
Back