The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Gen. Discussion & Info

Only problem i've had is falling in holes where the ground doesn't meet the building or something and getting stuck.. had to reload a past save

[quote name='Technique']Also, whenever I got to a chapel and press on the altars it insults me saying I am a thief or something. Can I change that?[/QUOTE]
You have to build up your fame and make it higher than your infamy. You can check both stats on the status page with all the info of things you've done.

I'm fighting this "Dread Zombie" in one of my quests, I can't seem to damage him, even with a silver weapon and magic. Is there any way to kill this, or do I just have to run past it? Its become a nice way to train my blade and destruction skills since its slow enough that I can dodge its attacks easily, and since my blade and spells hit him but he never dies. Doesn't seem to take any damage at all.

Its the Mages Guild quest, the first one Travan sends you on, where the battlemages are ambushed at the necromancer's base.

I must have gotten a really quality made 360, because it hasn't freezed up once during anything, ever. And I am always using the guide button during Oblivion, and it's never overheated or freezed or anything.

[quote name='mmn']In your house you start with a table and a bed, that's all. All I bought were some storage bins (a chest and two dressers) and some wall hangings. I store stuff there (mostly ingredients and things to sell later) and level up there or waste time there if a mission requires me to "come back" at a later time.

I think you can buy the house for 2 thousand from one of the stores in the Imperial Marketplace. But I was also already Arena Grand Champion before I went to buy a house, so maybe that's why they sold it to me. Not quite sure.[/QUOTE]
No need, as long as you have 2000, You go to the Market District, then in the Office of Imperial Commerce, and persuade the lady to know you and sell the house.

Should bundle this info up into a post for reference.

Vanilla, do you notice a drop in framrate every now an then, like jumping, or viewing lit areas? Happens all the time, but its not bad. When I first got out of the sewer fps was probably single digits, just waited a couple of hours for sunrise and it was better.
I also got a unreadable disk error, and several freezes on a quest in jail as I attempted to sleep the time away.

Guilds

If you were wondering how to join a guild, you've come to the right place! This means you, Thieves Guild hopefuls!

Mages Guild: Mages can join in any town and begin gathering recommendations. Once all recommendations are earned one can enter the Arcane University in the Imperial City, home of enchanters and powerful trainers.

Fighters Guild: Although there are chapters in every town, seek entrance to this guild in Anvil, Chorrol, or Cheydinhal.

Thieves Guild: There are no chapters to find, but rather several alternative means of gaining admission. The simplest is to read the wanted posters of Gray Fox, then butter up a peasant (persuasion/bribes/charm) and ask about this notorious thief.

The Arena: Easy, it's right there on the map, in the heart of Imperial City. Go down into the Bloodworks sometime during the day and talk to Owyn.

Dark Brotherhood: You don't find them, they'll find you. Considering the nature of this sinister cult, you might pique their interest in you by committing a murder in cold blood. And I always feel a bit sleepy after a senseless killing, don't you?

Fight Club: Sorry, I can't talk about Fight Club.

Houses

You, yes you, can buy your very own house in any of the major cities of Cyrodiil! Most of the time, you'll have to butter up the person selling the house before they're willing to offer it to you. Prices, however, are non-negotiable. Here's the nitty gritty of it:

Imperial City: The Waterfront Shack costs 2,000 gold. Talk to Venicia Melissaeia at the Office of Imperial Commerce in the Market District.

Bravil: The House for Sale costs 4,000 gold. Talk to Count Regulus Terentius in the Castle Bravil Great Hall.

Anvil: The Benirus Manor costs 5,000 gold. Talk to Velwyn Benirus at The Count's Arms and complete his quest.

Leyawiin: The House for Sale costs 7,000 gold. Talk to Count Marius Caro in the Castle Leyawiin County Hall.

Bruma: The House for Sale costs 10,000 gold. Talk to Countess Narina Carvain in the Great Hall at Castle Bruma.

Cheydinhal: The House for Sale costs 15,000 gold. Talk to Count Andel Indarys in the Cheydinhal Castle County Hall.

Chorrol: Arborwatch mansion costs 20,000 gold. Talk to Countess Arriana Volga in the Great Hall at Castle Chorrol.

Skingrad: Rosethorn Hall costs 25,000 gold (requires 15 Fame). Talk to Shum gro-Yarug in the Castle Skingrad County Hall.
*Taken from IGN Boards>Elder Scrolls Game Board thanks to daedalus42 for the post. Not sure if that's ok.

Pretty helpful, basic stuff there that should answer those questions.

So i bought that shitty house in the Imperial City and i walk in and almost nothing there, anyways, i find out that there's other crappy houses around me and it was night time. So i decided to rob my neighbors for the hell of it, first house i go into nothing there and i jack EVERYTHING touchable. Then i go to the house right across from it, i use my lock picking and get in, i start to jack all of the shit some random orc suddenly walks in and says "oh don't mind me, im just courting this orc woman" so i talk to him and he says "take whatever you want, i dont care"

:rofl:

i did exactly that!

I just killed a rat in the West Weald and watched it roll 75-100 ft down a hill .
Picking up speed and slowing down and speeding back up , as I laughed my ass off .

PETA would have an fuckin' aneurysm if they saw such a thing .
Not that I give a shit .

So I saw a guard chase a criminal tonight. It was in Bravil. I didn't think other citizens commit crimes. It was the swimmer boy or whatever his name is in Bravil. Guard just ran over and killed him.. so I did what any newly crowned grand champion of the arena would do.

I looted his corpse, took his house key and raided his house.

[quote name='Chacrana']phew... okay, I finally finished that damn vampirism quest.[/QUOTE]

Got any good tips for it? Anything would be helpful. Thanks.

So far I've collected
Soul gem from~ Impereal City Market District
Soul gem from~ Bruma Mage's Guild
2 of 6 Garlic Cloves
All 5 Nightshade
All 2 BloodGrass

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I must have gotten a really quality made 360, because it hasn't freezed up once during anything, ever. And I am always using the guide button during Oblivion, and it's never overheated or freezed or anything.[/QUOTE]

Me too. My 360 has NEVER frozen or anything since I've ever gotten it.

Also, I just got all my recommendations, and I'm now in the University place. This place is insane, BUT, it costs WAAAAAAY too much to make these spellls, even AFTER all the dough I made(and kinda wasted) after winning the Arena. They money glitch hasn't worked for me yet, either....so.... i dunno what to do.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I don't think you can hide items in barrels. I do know that if you just drop stuff someplace, it's probably gonna stay there. I dropped a couple red robe things in front of the Marketplace in the Imperial City, and 32 game hours and 90 some game days later, they still sit there.[/QUOTE]

Yep. I did the mission where the guy in jail, named Jurunder, wanted you to kill the chick who framed him for revenge, so I got her to chase me out of the house, had the guards kill her, and some 50 game days later, her naked corpse is still sitting in the middle of the town. It's effin great.

[quote name='dafoomie']I'm fighting this "Dread Zombie" in one of my quests, I can't seem to damage him, even with a silver weapon and magic. Is there any way to kill this, or do I just have to run past it? Its become a nice way to train my blade and destruction skills since its slow enough that I can dodge its attacks easily, and since my blade and spells hit him but he never dies. Doesn't seem to take any damage at all.

Its the Mages Guild quest, the first one Travan sends you on, where the battlemages are ambushed at the necromancer's base.[/QUOTE]

You just have to beat the shit out of it.

I had 2 after me and all I kept doing was dodging, use a good fire spell, and swinging my sword like a psycho. Eventually, with some help from my own zombie that I summoned, they both went down. Hell of a fight, though.

Anyone done the quest for the mages guild where you have to clear out a vampire cave, and either get rid of, or killl the vampire hunters in town? I can't seem to figure out how to get rid of them without killing them.

Anyone get a unicorn yet? I hear that to the east of the Inn of Ill Omen, there's a spot with 3 minotaurs guarding the unicorn. Imma have to try to get it 2morro...

[quote name='MysticMike01']Anyone get a unicorn yet? I hear that to the east of the Inn of Ill Omen, there's a spot with 3 minotaurs guarding the unicorn. Imma have to try to get it 2morro...[/QUOTE]

Thanks gonna check this shit out tomorrow also.

[quote name='dafoomie']Anyone done the quest for the mages guild where you have to clear out a vampire cave, and either get rid of, or killl the vampire hunters in town? I can't seem to figure out how to get rid of them without killing them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I just killed them, that's the only way I could figure out how to do it. Then I paid the fine when the guard came to arrest me, and went and killed the next one.

That's the mission that finally turned me around. The vampires drop some great stuff - love those glass weapons.

I can't find that fuckING skeleton key quest that zewone talked about. I want that key that is unbreakable and can pick locks endlessy. Help me out.

[quote name='zewone']beat the game. and yes i got the unicorn. its a daedra artifact quest.[/QUOTE]

You can never beat the game! Anyways your a dork. All I need to say. :)

Heh, right now I'm kinda cheating. I need to get my Alteration skill up to 75 so I can create the "Open Very Hard Lock" spell. So I'm standing in a corner casting "shield" on myself over and over and over.

I guess its a cheap way to level up (since as a Mage guy I could just do the same thing with conjuring or whatever), but oh well. I'll never be able to pick locks, thank Christ for spells that'll do it for me.

[quote name='mmn']Yeah. I just killed them, that's the only way I could figure out how to do it. Then I paid the fine when the guard came to arrest me, and went and killed the next one.

That's the mission that finally turned me around. The vampires drop some great stuff - love those glass weapons.[/QUOTE]
I just did it, all I had to do was tell their leader where the vampires were. I went the next day, they were already there fighting them, they all died and they killed about half the vampires. I made about 10 grand off that place, and upgraded my armor and weapons, had to make 3 trips just to get all the stuff out of there.

To whoever has done the houses, which one would you say is the best? I took a look at the one in the imperial city, its cheap, but its just a little shack.

[quote name='mmn']Heh, right now I'm kinda cheating. I need to get my Alteration skill up to 75 so I can create the "Open Very Hard Lock" spell. So I'm standing in a corner casting "shield" on myself over and over and over.

I guess its a cheap way to level up (since as a Mage guy I could just do the same thing with conjuring or whatever), but oh well. I'll never be able to pick locks, thank Christ for spells that'll do it for me.[/QUOTE]
That was the way to do it in Morrowind. If you really want to be cheap about it, create a spell in each magic type that does almost nothing and costs almost no mana to cast, and have it cast on yourself. You can even cast fire damage on yourself and raise your destruction level that way.

I wouldn't say its cheap, the mages in the mages guild do it, you're just practicing your spells. I think my Alteration is at around 80 now, thats by far the easiest one to do.

[quote name='dafoomie']I just did it, all I had to do was tell their leader where the vampires were. I went the next day, they were already there fighting them, they all died and they killed about half the vampires. I made about 10 grand off that place, and upgraded my armor and weapons, had to make 3 trips just to get all the stuff out of there.

To whoever has done the houses, which one would you say is the best? I took a look at the one in the imperial city, its cheap, but its just a little shack.[/QUOTE]

I'm doing the one in Anvil. It's a really big and nice house for 5K and its comes with a Quest.

[quote name='Brak']What's a low level conjuration spell?[/QUOTE]

Well, I started out able to summon a skeleton. And at the level I'm at now, I can summon the skeleton over and over without it draining any magicka.

[quote name='pimpinc333']I'm doing the one in Anvil. It's a really big and nice house for 5K and its comes with a Quest.[/QUOTE]
Thats what I just did. Theres a few ghost bodies laying around still, but thats OK. And the secret altar area is still there with the coffins and bones, but you can close the door and ignore it.

Seems like its harder to decorate in this than in Morrowind, you can't drop things on a specific place anymore, they just fall from about 10 feet and bounce.

Anyone know an easy place to get some of those stones that recharge your magic items? Its so expensive to recharge, I already had to pay 2 grand to repair my weapons, now they want 4 grand to recharge everything. Even one of those would be fine... I've had two before but I used them already.

[quote name='zewone']beat the game. and yes i got the unicorn. its a daedra artifact quest.[/QUOTE]

What level did your character end up at? I just hit level 20 with 30 hours of playtime in (wasted a whole fucking weekend playing this game).

I just found a bunch of glass armor and geeked out over it. I've never felt this nerdy before.

[quote name='mmn']What level did your character end up at? I just hit level 20 with 30 hours of playtime in (wasted a whole fucking weekend playing this game). [/QUOTE]
I was level 21 when I beat it. You'll have no problem finishing the Main Quest at your level.

[quote name='Maynard']I can't find that fuckING skeleton key quest that zewone talked about. I want that key that is unbreakable and can pick locks endlessy. Help me out.[/QUOTE]
I sent you a PM. Just in case anyone is having problems I'll try my best to explain where it's at. It's a Dark Elf lady in Leyawin Mage's Guild. If she doesn't bring up the topic of Daedra Artifacts you can just walk to the spot.

If you leave Leyawin heading East and follow the road heading North you should find "Nocturnal's Shrine" a little to the left where of the "b" where it's says "bounty something" on the map in light letters.

I'm gonna try and find a map online to pinpoint it.

[quote name='zewone']I was level 21 when I beat it. You'll have no problem finishing the Main Quest at your level.[/QUOTE]

Gotta ask though -- how much time did you spend on the game?

[quote name='Chacrana']Gotta ask though -- how much time did you spend on the game?[/QUOTE]

Hmmm I have about 31 hours myself and Zewone played a lot more. I'm gonna guess it at 42 hours. Am I right Zew?

37 hours. :cry: This past week I was sent home early from work everyday. hahaha

I can't find a map. I guess I'll scan the one that comes with the game.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Hmmm I have about 31 hours myself and Zewone played a lot more.[/quote]

A lot of the time when I would get bored I would just play and kill everyone in a city then move to the next city and murder everyone. I didn't save it then, so I played more then 37 probably but that didn't go towards my play time.

[quote name='zewone']37 hours. :cry: This past week I was sent home early from work everyday. hahaha

I can't find a map. I guess I'll scan the one that comes with the game.

A lot of the time when I would get bored I would just play and kill everyone in a city then move to the next city and murder everyone. I didn't save it then, so I played more then 37 probably but that didn't go towards my play time.[/QUOTE]

Same but I'd only do it for about 5 mins since the guards whoop my ass.

[quote name='dafoomie']Seems like its harder to decorate in this than in Morrowind, you can't drop things on a specific place anymore, they just fall from about 10 feet and bounce.[/quote]You can decorate? No fuckin' way. As in decorate Animal Crossing style? Or do you just mean find things you like and drop it out of your inventory?

I'm not sure if you can precisely place objects, but the LB button grabs things. Haven't actually tried that on items only dragging dead bodies around, which is mightily amusing btw.

Where's Anvil btw coming from the Imperial City? I can't find it on the map...is there a way to zoom out on that? I think I'm gonna have to get the strategy guide for this. I hate having to search around for particular people, too.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Same but I'd only do it for about 5 mins since the guards whoop my ass.[/QUOTE]
You suck Thief. My thief could leap tall buildings with a single bound and just sit on top with my Bow of the Dynamo and a couple hundred arrows and pick people off like a sniper. :)

Here's the map the the skeleton key. Actually called "Nocturnal's Shrine", but you get the idea.

You guys shouldnt be beating it already. I spent mustve spent at least 40 hours in Morrowind before touching the first leg of the main quest.

I'm about to spend a good while in just the character creation.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']You guys shouldnt be beating it already. I spent mustve spent at least 40 hours in Morrowind before touching the first leg of the main quest.

I'm about to spend a good while in just the character creation.[/QUOTE]

In Morrowind, the main quest was very boring and nobody bothered with it.

In Oblivion, the main quest is awesome and I, and probably many others, are focusing on that first.

[quote name='mmn']Heh, right now I'm kinda cheating. I need to get my Alteration skill up to 75 so I can create the "Open Very Hard Lock" spell. So I'm standing in a corner casting "shield" on myself over and over and over.

I guess its a cheap way to level up (since as a Mage guy I could just do the same thing with conjuring or whatever), but oh well. I'll never be able to pick locks, thank Christ for spells that'll do it for me.[/QUOTE]

You can do that, but you should do it only if it's not a major skill for your character--- if you level it up too much, you'll miss out on all the multipliers (Minus Willpower, I suppose) for your levels.

Strange how that works out, but it's better to practice your minor skills to get the 4x-5x multipliers and then use the major skills to level up when you have what you want complete.

Though I suppose if you're not really concerned about leveling stats up to the max- then it isn't all that important.

Bah, I STILL can't find enough of those two flowers to get back into the mages guild (I was kicked out) :(

This sucks, any tips on where to get them?

I caved and bought it yesterday. I had a gift card saved from Christmas so it was basically free. I played through the first part of the game and escaped the sewers and I have to say I am intrigued to see what's out there. I was tired last night so I turned it off to go to sleep but I've been thinking about it all day today and I can't wait to get home and play some more. I hope I can figure out what the heck to do because the amount of items and everything seems overwhelming right now.

I really don't like RPGs even though I've played the better parts of FFIII, FFVII, FFVIII, Paper Mario and few others but this one seems different. The first person combat makes it feel more like Zelda and less like a dungeon crawling leveling up borefest.

Hopefully I can get into it - I love reading the stories people are telling about their characters because I know everyone will experience the game in a different way. It really is a brilliant way to design a game - imagine if Hyrule was this big and this open ended.... mmm...

[quote name='seanr1221']Bah, I STILL can't find enough of those two flowers to get back into the mages guild (I was kicked out) :(

This sucks, any tips on where to get them?[/QUOTE]
I got kicked out and I have to find 20 Daedra Hearts and 20 Vampire Dusts. Luckily I got the Hearts before I beat the game or else I would have been screwed with no way to find any more Daedras.

[quote name='seanr1221']Bah, I STILL can't find enough of those two flowers to get back into the mages guild (I was kicked out) :(

This sucks, any tips on where to get them?[/quote]

Flowers? I've gotta get 20 Vampire Dusts and 20 Daedric Hearts before they let me back in.

If there's anyone who hasn't started yet and is trying to do all the guild quests, I'd recommend waiting to join the Mages' Guild until after you beat the Thieves' Guild line of quests, unless you want to have to do this lame quest to get back in :bomb:

bread's done
Back