The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='javeryh']I caved and bought it yesterday. I had a gift card saved from Christmas so it was basically free. I played through the first part of the game and escaped the sewers and I have to say I am intrigued to see what's out there. I was tired last night so I turned it off to go to sleep but I've been thinking about it all day today and I can't wait to get home and play some more. I hope I can figure out what the heck to do because the amount of items and everything seems overwhelming right now.

I really don't like RPGs even though I've played the better parts of FFIII, FFVII, FFVIII, Paper Mario and few others but this one seems different. The first person combat makes it feel more like Zelda and less like a dungeon crawling leveling up borefest.

Hopefully I can get into it - I love reading the stories people are telling about their characters because I know everyone will experience the game in a different way. It really is a brilliant way to design a game - imagine if Hyrule was this big and this open ended.... mmm...[/QUOTE]

If you want some advice :

Follow the storyline up until you have to go close your first Oblivion Gate. You'll be offered the chance to join the Blades, and you'll get some decent armor/weapons for free.

At that point the best way to get more gold and upgrade your weapons is to join a Guild and follow those quests. I did the Mage's Guild first and ended up with a ton of gold and really good stuff by the end of it.

[quote name='Brak']Also, and I don't mean to post three times in a row --

I found an Easter Egg in the game: the character M'aiq the Liar, from Morrowind.

He's almost impossible to find, because he runs (and fast) across the entire world. You'd literally need to be in the right place and the right time to find him. I spoke to him, and all he had to say was something like, "I don't see the point of burning a building down." And he ran off. Weird.[/quote]

I found him too, outside of Anvil. He said something about "feet are for landing, hands are for slapping, but also for..." I don't really remember what all he said, but then he ran off.

[quote name='Roufuss']In Morrowind, the main quest was very boring and nobody bothered with it.[/QUOTE]
Are you serious? I loved the main quest in Morrowind.

Man, I'm getting really pissed off now. I'm on my fourth mission for the Dark Brotherhood. It's the one where you have to stage someone's death.

Anyway, as soon as I do the deed and leave town, the game freezes. It's done this three times now. I have turned off the 360 for about an hour and came back and tried again, and I get the same problem. I've also tried to warp and to wait, and it still keeps freezing.

I've also done the cache clearing.

Any suggestions?

So in the main storyline, I've finished the part with
Azura's Shrine
... approx. how much left do I have, or am I still near the beginning?

On the second mission for the thieves guild, is there a way to not kill the lady in the chapel (which says something about a 1000 fine)?

look at what me and my roomie did

605496225_l.jpg

Goblin pr0n!!

[quote name='seanr1221']look at what me and my roomie did

605496225_l.jpg

Goblin pr0n!![/QUOTE]

LOL

Thanks to Zewone I just got my Skeleton Key. Very Good Stuff.

What do I do to prompt the action in order to ask people about the location of the Skeleton Key?

[quote name='Eastsidecracker']On the second mission for the thieves guild, is there a way to not kill the lady in the chapel (which says something about a 1000 fine)?[/QUOTE]

Is that were you have to steal the sculpture? If so, use your sneaking skills!!

[quote name='Technique']Is that were you have to steal the sculpture? If so, use your sneaking skills!![/QUOTE]

Thanks, got it.

Whats the skeleton key do?

[quote name='Eastsidecracker']Thanks, got it.

Whats the skeleton key do?[/QUOTE]
Unbreakable lockpick and it adds +40 to your security.

Damn, I'm 2.5 hours in and I just made it to the first town across the long bridge... so far so good... is there anything major in the first cave to the right of the sewer entrance? I was exploring in there for about an hour and ended up going in one big circle. I found a few things but nothing earth-shattering (I don't think)...

Brak all you need to do is go where zewone showed us on the map on page 32-33. It will give you the quest right at that Nocturnal Shrine Location. The people near it are good so don't kill em :)

[quote name='javeryh']Damn, I'm 2.5 hours in and I just made it to the first town across the long bridge... so far so good... is there anything major in the first cave to the right of the sewer entrance? I was exploring in there for about an hour and ended up going in one big circle. I found a few things but nothing earth-shattering (I don't think)...[/QUOTE]
Use yur map alot and remember you can fast travel to any more town.

My god this game has sucked up my life! I'm at almost 24 hours of game time now. This is really unheard of for me. I can usually only stand about 10-15 hours of a game (in a week or so) otherwise I get really bored with it.

[quote name='dafoomie']I'm getting really pissed off at this game freezing so much.[/QUOTE]

I really don't think its the game. Early Xbox's did the same thing. Some games it woud play just fine but then some wouldn't. I'd take this as a sign and send it to MS.

[quote name='zewone']You suck Thief. My thief could leap tall buildings with a single bound and just sit on top with my Bow of the Dynamo and a couple hundred arrows and pick people off like a sniper. :)

Here's the map the the skeleton key. Actually called "Nocturnal's Shrine", but you get the idea.

[/QUOTE]

Sweet. Does it take a long while to get it after you reach that location? I'm kinda tired right now, and I dunno if I wanna start a long drawn out mission type thing if it's gonna take too long..

[quote name='MysticMike01']Sweet. Does it take a long while to get it after you reach that location? I'm kinda tired right now, and I dunno if I wanna start a long drawn out mission type thing if it's gonna take too long..[/QUOTE]

It doesn't take long at all. Even if it did, the reward is well worth it.

[quote name='Arikado']It doesn't take long at all. Even if it did, the reward is well worth it.[/QUOTE]

thanks, bro. i did it and now have the skeleton key. good ish...

I've determined my character is worthless. I'm lvl 8 and I can't kill most bi-peds with out serious kiting. Even with running them around I still die about 40% of the time in almost all 1v1 fights. Dark Elf Thief = junk. So whats a fun build to play that will allow me to advance more then 4 fights into the arena quests(twins ruin my day)? I would still like to keep the stealthy aspect but the Dark Elf just seems so fragile and low on magika. I'm also not sure how I feel about marksman it just seems like a secondary skill in most fights you aren't able to utilize range to its utmost.

So I went to try and get the Unicorn and something werid happened...... I saw the unicorn running around and I couldn't get on it, the reason? It was chasing after a deer tring to kill it. Then out of no where a Minotaur Lord see's this and goes nuts. He starts to beat the shit out of the Unicorn. The Lord ended up killing the Unicorn and me. What a bastard :)

I just cleaned out Fort Strand near Anvil, made 10 grand off the cheap stuff alone, took 3 trips to carry it all out.

Is there a shop somewhere that can afford to pay more than these cheap shops for each item somewhere?

I also got a quest called "when the vow breaks" when I picked up a mace, I have to tell the spouse of the guy I killed for it that he's dead. But it doesn't tell me where to go.

[quote name='TheUnsane1']I've determined my character is worthless. I'm lvl 8 and I can't kill most bi-peds with out serious kiting. Even with running them around I still die about 40% of the time in almost all 1v1 fights. Dark Elf Thief = junk. So whats a fun build to play that will allow me to advance more then 4 fights into the arena quests(twins ruin my day)? I would still like to keep the stealthy aspect but the Dark Elf just seems so fragile and low on magika. I'm also not sure how I feel about marksman it just seems like a secondary skill in most fights you aren't able to utilize range to its utmost.[/QUOTE]

I'd go Wood Elf for a Thief build, and at first I'd either grab the warrior birthsign, or the mage for health/magicka respectively. After that build your character up so that even if you want to use Light Armor at first-- Level your heavy armor skill some, so that when you level you get That Endurance Multiplyer.

I'd recommend that you also have a backup weapon skill, and to make sure you get 10 ranks of any combination of the three (H2H, Blunt, Blade)-- so that you can get your Strength up.

If your a theif, your main skillset will enhance Agility and speed as you level and play around with your different stealth moves-- so work on the ones that don't level first as its easier.

[quote name='dafoomie']I'm getting really pissed off at this game freezing so much.[/quote]

That's why I stopped playing last night. It froze in the first inn I visited. I talked to the inn keeper and she wanted me to find her 6 bottles of wine and then the game froze. I get a dirty disc error when I play Burnout and DOA4 freezes a lot too. I starting to really get annoyed at the hardware but I don't want to send it to Microsoft for 2 weeks... maybe I'll give them a call...

[quote name='javeryh']I starting to really get annoyed at the hardware but I don't want to send it to Microsoft for 2 weeks... maybe I'll give them a call...[/QUOTE]

Everyone here knows you won't, you will bitch for the next 3 weeks that your system keeps freezing but you've been too busy to call.

[quote name='javeryh']That's why I stopped playing last night. It froze in the first inn I visited. I talked to the inn keeper and she wanted me to find her 6 bottles of wine and then the game froze. I get a dirty disc error when I play Burnout and DOA4 freezes a lot too. I starting to really get annoyed at the hardware but I don't want to send it to Microsoft for 2 weeks... maybe I'll give them a call...[/QUOTE]

Mine is freezing more often too. I have a newer 360 now also. My 3rd one....I refuse to send it back again. It already froze about 3 times on me. It actually froze again in NBA 2K6....starting to get annoyed.

For anyone with a character strong in magicka don't bother trying to get that Skeleton Key. If you go through the Mage's Guild storyline you'll end up able to make your own spells at the end of it. One of the spells is "Open Very Hard Lock". I no longer need to try lockpicking or anything, just point my finger at anything locked and boom, opens right up.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Brak all you need to do is go where zewone showed us on the map on page 32-33. It will give you the quest right at that Nocturnal Shrine Location. The people near it are good so don't kill em :)[/QUOTE]

Cripes... I don't get how I missed that post. Thanks.

And thanks, zew. I got my Skeleton Key just a little while ago. Works like a charm.

[quote name='doubledown']Mine is freezing more often too. I have a newer 360 now also. My 3rd one....I refuse to send it back again. It already froze about 3 times on me. It actually froze again in NBA 2K6....starting to get annoyed.[/QUOTE]

I'm up to about 10 DDE's on this game. Nba 2k6 just froze a lot. Madden had DDE's , Burnout gives the ocassional DDE. argg.. makes me so mad. :(

I don't get any error messages i just get the occasional game locks up and stops responding to any input and screen freezes. Mostly in the outdoors when i've been walking around a lot (I don't like fast travel much)

Is there any way to not get infected with vampyrism when you're doing the quest for Azura in the main storyline? I hear the cure is a pain in the ass.

[quote name='dafoomie']Is there any way to not get infected with vampyrism when you're doing the quest for Azura in the main storyline? I hear the cure is a pain in the ass.[/QUOTE]

Just run to the church as soon as you do this mission and pray at the alter.

[quote name='mmn']For anyone with a character strong in magicka don't bother trying to get that Skeleton Key. If you go through the Mage's Guild storyline you'll end up able to make your own spells at the end of it. One of the spells is "Open Very Hard Lock". I no longer need to try lockpicking or anything, just point my finger at anything locked and boom, opens right up.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I had actually created the Open Very Hard Lock spell before I got the Skeleton Key, but hell, the S Key is still worth 1000 bones.

[quote name='Staind204']Just run to the church as soon as you do this mission and pray at the alter.[/QUOTE]

Not that case if your infamey is higher then your fame. Then you can pray at a church. I found an alter by the place you get a unicorn and it let me pray there. It made my damaged stats go back to normal so it should also heal the 3 day Vampire bites.

Also, last night, I was "inititated" into the Dark Brotherhood, and they told me to go talk to that one guy to get a mission. Well, when i went to talk to him, I saw he was a vampire, and I almost freaked out. lol. im tired of those muthafuckas

Do I have to use Azura's Star as the item to be destroyed for the main quest, or can I use a different daedric item? Azura's Star is a nice item to have.

I need to raise certain skills such as "Alteration" and "Mysticism" but how do I do this when I dont have any spells of that type? I cant raise them unless I use the skill and I dont have the skill?

[quote name='Staind204']I need to raise certain skills such as "Alteration" and "Mysticism" but how do I do this when I dont have any spells of that type? I cant raise them unless I use the skill and I dont have the skill?[/QUOTE]

What race are you? I'm a Breton, and I have a "Shell" spell that takes away very little magicka, but still increases the Alteration quite a bit each time I do it. I just did this for a while until I reached 75.

[quote name='dafoomie']Is there any way to not get infected with vampyrism when you're doing the quest for Azura in the main storyline? I hear the cure is a pain in the ass.[/QUOTE]
Be an Argonian like me! :D I love the lizard race. Works very well with how I play the game.

[quote name='MysticMike01']Also, last night, I was "inititated" into the Dark Brotherhood, and they told me to go talk to that one guy to get a mission. Well, when i went to talk to him, I saw he was a vampire, and I almost freaked out. lol. im tired of those muthafuckas[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, you'll have a chance to fix him real nice a little later in the game...

[quote name='dafoomie']Do I have to use Azura's Star as the item to be destroyed for the main quest, or can I use a different daedric item? Azura's Star is a nice item to have.[/QUOTE]
No. If you want Azura's Star you can go get another one. I suggest Malacath's Shrine (theres a map in Scorch's post above) for the Daedra Artifact. It's a 2 handed Hammer which I know no one likes. And to the guys who got the Skeleton Key, definately don't give that Artifact to Martin. You'll be screwed.

[quote name='Staind204']I'm up to about 10 DDE's on this game. Nba 2k6 just froze a lot. Madden had DDE's , Burnout gives the ocassional DDE. argg.. makes me so mad. :([/QUOTE]
Id definatly call them in on that 360 then.

Is the only way to learn new spells (or increase the damage of current(flame)) to level up my alteration (just sit there and constantly use a low magicka constatnly)?

bread's done
Back