The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 11/11/11

[quote name='garrett007']Dude, go to the midnight release![/QUOTE]

I wish I could have man! I had to go to a meeting this morning at work with some of the big boys so I couldn't blow today off. I'll pick it up after work first thing though!

[quote name='100xp']actually ppl are saying you're supposed to get a cloth map as the preorder bonus as every standard copy/ preorder or not will come with a glossy paper on inside...bethesda said it would feel like burlap on their website.

i think i got a standard copy as a preorder, im going to call walmart.[/QUOTE]

You can tell if you have a premium map copy of the game or not by looking at the top left of the back of the box, if your copy is supposed to be a copy with a premium copy map, then there'll be a box there that says so.

Picked this up today, about an hour in but im too scared to play more....Oblivion sunk way too many hours, and then Fallout 3 sucked my life away, and I still have Fallout New Vegas, oh god, what did i do...

[quote name='MrPiggles']You can tell if you have a premium map copy of the game or not by looking at the top left of the back of the box, if your copy is supposed to be a copy with a premium copy map, then there'll be a box there that says so.[/QUOTE]

ah hah...a very classy way to put bonus content inside. I like that, vs. on the cover instead. the map reminds me of Sega's Mircale Warrior's map...except more textured. cheers.

I've had my xbox lock up twice in the first 4 hours with this game. The crazy thing is, I don't even care. I'm already hooked. When something is this good, I'm already looking the other way when it comes to minor bugs.

[quote name='tukai']Can the game be played in 3rd person effectively? I remember it wasn't possible in oblivion[/QUOTE]

not really.... it's even worse IMO... it's too far zoomed in. Idk if there's a way to zoom it out, but i struggled with it for awhile and then just went back to first person.

also... probably not much of a spoiler since everyone knows about dragon shouts but just in case (about the quest for the force push one)
I did all the tasks and now have third tier version of the force push (cant remember what its actually called, but if you're there / got it you'll know what im talking about)... how do I actually utilize it to work 3 times, I seem to only get the one shout out, some times 2 but never the 3rd... is there a certain button combo, or time you have to hold the button down?

I installed my Skyrim disc straight away yesterday and it was loading fine, not really any problems. I read online about not installing so I deleted it now my game loads much slower and theres lag on the menus..? I might just re install it to be honest.

Amazon delivered my game around 12:30 yesterday!!! Much better than 5:30pm the day Batman released.

I played for about 4.5 hours straight. I'm pretty proud of myself as far as character generating goes. All the way back since Baldur's Gate I've spent far too much time making my character and even quitting games to restart and make a new character. So I made my Khajiit (because they look so damn cool) and never looked back.

The archery is much better. It was awful in Oblivion. I've been messing around with stealth and it's alright not nearly as good as something like Deus Ex HR but it works long enough to get a crit. bow shot off.

I've been using singlehanded weapons, daggers and maces. I equipped multiple weapons to see what dual wield looks like but haven't really tried it's effectiveness.

All characters (well my cat and my girlfriend's high elf had these) start off with a couple of spells which I thought was pretty handy. I think you start with Heal, Flame (light flamethrower attack), and one other? The game doesn't really have a tutorial concerning spells as far as I could tell which is unfortunate.

The crafting system is way more interesting to me for some reason now that it's attached to stations. Potion making, Weapon Crafting/Armor Crafting, Weapon Improving/Armor Improving, all have little stations which are found in different buildings/places. You still have to eat ingredients to find their initial property before you can make potions.

I've been playing with the game installed to HDD. The art style makes the game seem muddy because it's pretty realistic looking fantasy (something like LOTR or GoT). I didn't seem to have any texture problems or crashes.

Those are my initial impressions. I am so freaking excited about this game. This is why I play games.

[quote name='saunderscowie']I installed my Skyrim disc straight away yesterday and it was loading fine, not really any problems. I read online about not installing so I deleted it now my game loads much slower and theres lag on the menus..? I might just re install it to be honest.[/QUOTE]

I deleted my install after hearing about the texture problems but honestly haven't noticed much of a different from installing it load times. I do have slight pauses in the menus sometimes, but it's barely noticeable. My only worry is if this is one of those games that's going to slow the hell down after hours upon hours of gameplay. I remember oblivion ran much slower having played a 100+ save file :/. Had to delete the cache multiple times. That's the only thing I hope they fixed with this.

ADORED Fallout 3, probably my favorite SP 360 game and enjoyed New Vegas. Would you all recommend this or Oblivion? I never played Oblivion, started to 100 times but never did...

Need something to break up my time in shooters.

Hint for those who want to make easy $ without glitching. If you find an item that has the Banish perk (The one that says it gets rid of Daedra), use it for Disenchanting @ an Arcane Enchanter. Every item you enchant with the Banish perk goes up in value by 500% - 1000%. All those crappy daggers that weigh 2-3lbs and are only worth 17 gold skyrocket up to 1,600 - 1,800 gold each when you enchant them with Banish. Since they're only 2lbs, this means u can carry a lot of em.

My recommendation is to buy every non-enchanted weapon that a vendor has, enchant it, and then sell it back. Windhelm is a great place for this because the Enchanter is right behind one of the vendors. Most likely, the vendors will run out of money, but when you keep buying stuff and selling it back, it raises your Speechcraft which will help you unlock the "Vendors will buy all item types" and "Invest 500 gold to raise $ cap permanently" perks.

[quote name='$hady']ADORED Fallout 3, probably my favorite SP 360 game and enjoyed New Vegas. Would you all recommend this or Oblivion? I never played Oblivion, started to 100 times but never did...

Need something to break up my time in shooters.[/QUOTE]

This over Oblivion, no question about it.

I've put a few hours into it last night after work and haven't had any problems with textures, but we'll see down the road. This is the first I'd heard of it, but it sounds like something they'll patch as soon as possible.

[quote name='Bezerker']Hint for those who want to make easy $ without glitching. If you find an item that has the Banish perk (The one that says it gets rid of Daedra), use it for Disenchanting @ an Arcane Enchanter. Every item you enchant with the Banish perk goes up in value by 500% - 1000%. All those crappy daggers that weigh 2-3lbs and are only worth 17 gold skyrocket up to 1,600 - 1,800 gold each when you enchant them with Banish. Since they're only 2lbs, this means u can carry a lot of em.

My recommendation is to buy every non-enchanted weapon that a vendor has, enchant it, and then sell it back. Windhelm is a great place for this because the Enchanter is right behind one of the vendors. Most likely, the vendors will run out of money, but when you keep buying stuff and selling it back, it raises your Speechcraft which will help you unlock the "Vendors will buy all item types" and "Invest 500 gold to raise $ cap permanently" perks.[/QUOTE]

Great advice. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Is there a place where I can find the location of all the guilds?

Great tip Bezerker. Just finished up the Golden Claw quest (the puzzles were a cake walk and
finding my first dragon word felt pretty epic
) and I'm pretty impressed with combat so far. I love watching enemies stagger when my arrows score a crit which lines them up for a gorgeous follow up headshot. The devs definitely exaggerated the rarity of arrows in the world when nearly every enemy encounter involves them switching to more appropriate weaponry depending on the range. I guess the comment only applies to merchants because I'm sitting on at least 100+ Iron Arrows and a little over 20 of the Silver or Ancient persuasion.

I do have a couple of minor gripes with the interface (I miss checking stats and getting an accurate preview of how my character will look before I exit the menu; I love watching my characters grow over time and smoothing out any rough edges as I progress), how recruiting companions are handled (way too easy - I wish they adopted more of a Fallout approach to in terms of availability, conversation branches and requirements), the mediocrity of the create-a-character (even at max brightness and zoom I couldn't get a clear enough view of his face so I ultimately gave up), but other then that I can see myself delving Fallout hours into this easily.

Beware of sending companions to deactivate swinging guillotine traps if they aren't hearty enough to withstand the trip to the switch. The guillotines are strong enough to smack them into walls where they will permanent glitch from then on never be seen again. I had to reload a save to get Fuendal back because of it.

Now my current dilemma is too much loot and not enough merchants to buy it off me. It's going to be a while longer before I can level up enough to invest. For those that
escaped with the Stormcloak prisoner (assuming it actually matters) is it safe to stash loot in that open chest in his sister's home?
If not, what about the inn?

EDIT: I also forgot to mention if you recruit a follower that can train you in a particular skill you can essentially buff it up for free. Just pay for it normally then recruit them and take your money back. LOL. So sad. Easy way to level up as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just picked this up at TRU this morning, but I'm going to have to wait until Christmas; this is supposed to be a gift for me from my wife.

How overwhelmed and lost should I expect to be with this game, considering I've never played anything in the series, and my RPG experience is minimal? Wanted to try it out either way, but just wondering.

[quote name='Sistros']Didn't stop playing for 7 hours when I started...

I fucking love this game.[/QUOTE]

Me to. I played the game for 7 straight hours then had to go to bed. Damn work :( I read on xbox360achivements early estimates are 200+ hours to 1000 this game, and I feel I'll easily spend that. I think I put in about 160+ hours into Oblivion.

Thank you Amazon/Trainn I got Skyrim today ups Saturday delievery so that is sweet, plus it had premium map!

Edit Premium map is like cardstock so it's pretty shitty it feels like, so nothing special.

[quote name='seanr1221']That's not the premium map then.

The premium map is supposed to feel like a burlap sack.[/QUOTE]

It says premium map on the box, so I assume it is.

Question: I mistakenly killed a chicken, (you can do it in Fable) and now the townspeople in Riverdale, the first town, keep trying to kill me.

How to I pay the fine?

[quote name='seanr1221']That's not the premium map then.

The premium map is supposed to feel like a burlap sack.[/QUOTE]

Thought it was going to be cloth but its like paper and not that great.

Question about the Golden Claw quest.

I have the golden claw and am now finding the secret of bleak falls barrow. At a door where there are pictures of animals and you have to line 3 of them up. What is the order that it goes in? I can't seem to find any hint that tells you. Thanks.

[quote name='schuerm26']Question about the Golden Claw quest.

I have the golden claw and am now finding the secret of bleak falls barrow. At a door where there are pictures of animals and you have to line 3 of them up. What is the order that it goes in? I can't seem to find any hint that tells you. Thanks.
[/QUOTE]

I was unable to even find the Golden Claw, I'm just stuck at the pictures spot as well, although I didn't try all that hard for all that long to get the lineup right

Any funny encounters yet? I was in a city and these two guards just bolted off running. I followed them out of the city and into the next. Lost one but continued to follow the other. Then he just stops dead in his tracks and won't stop staring down this chicken!!! I finally got bored and bumped him to see if he was frozen and he simply replied something along the lines of " what are you looking at, move along!". I laughed my ass off cause I still don't know if he was talking to me or the chicken

[quote name='schuerm26']Question about the Golden Claw quest.

[/QUOTE]

The note tells you the answer is in the palm of your hand ;) examine the claw

[quote name='shadowkast']The note tells you the answer is in the palm of your hand ;) examine the claw[/QUOTE]

Well hell, that was easy. Thanks. I didn't even realize that was what was being used as the key.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']
I was unable to even find the Golden Claw, I'm just stuck at the pictures spot as well, although I didn't try all that hard for all that long to get the lineup right
[/QUOTE]

The guy you cut from the spider webs has it. He is killed by those skeleton guys. You just search his dead body after you cut him loose. He is in the room with the big spider.

This fuck'in game.

Played from 7pm to 2am, go to sleep, wake up before 6am and play for almost another 5 hours.
:drool:

Question, anyone figure out how to remove arrows from your body?

Have one right between the eyes and coming out the back of my head.
Nothing works- tried unequiping everything including arrow quivers, dying, sleeping, blessing, etc.

[quote name='schuerm26']
The guy you cut from the spider webs has it. He is killed by those skeleton guys. You just search his dead body after you cut him loose. He is in the room with the big spider.
[/QUOTE]

We're talking about the same cave right? The Bleak Falls one with the two guys next to fire near the entrance? I go through the only path I can (past the campfire) and follow the cave lower until I run into a little booby-trap room with a lever in it that shoots arrows everywhere. Three little interactive statues with three symbols to choose from, and a locked cage/door ahead of me.

Only thing to do is solve the puzzle or leave. I think I know what the right combination is now but I never got a Golden Claw or saw the web-trapped guy.

We're talking about the same cave right? The Bleak Falls one with the two guys next to fire near the entrance? I go through the only path I can (past the campfire) and follow the cave lower until I run into a little booby-trap room with a lever in it that shoots arrows everywhere. Three little interactive statues with three symbols to choose from, and a locked cage/door ahead of me.

Only thing to do is solve the puzzle or leave. I think I know what the right combination is now but I never got a Golden Claw or saw the web-trapped guy.
[/QUOTE]

Solve that door and then you will eventually get to the claw. There is another puzzle door later that i was talking about and the web guy is a little past the door you are at. Can't remember how much further but keep going and you'll find it.

[/QUOTE]

The answer to that is look at the big rock symbol laying on the ground that fell from above the door

Just wondering can you assign things so you can quick select them from the d-pad or something? Its getting annoying having to go into the menu everytime to equip my bow, a spell etc, or is there an easier way of doing it and i'm just being stupid?

Not that anyone gives a flying crap, I thought I'd lend some thoughts on this game.

I bought Fallout 3 GOTY a year back and HATED it. Story was neat, graphics were decent, voice acting was spot on, however, the gameplay was just terrible given the games scenery. The whole turn-based shooter feeling just didn't mash-up together with a post-apocalyptic world. It just felt like mixing oil and water; it just didn't work. Put it up on Craigslist a few hours into it.

First Oblivion-like game I've played and decided to give Bethesda another chance on this. (Thanks for the hype fanboys...) Level 7 and 10 hours into it, I must say, ME GUSTA.

For an really old console (new consoles releasing soon, according to sources) the graphics are great. Minor texture issues that people above mention, but to me, that doesn't really affect the overall feeling of the game. The backdrop, music, etc, all make me ignore the little (or in this case, big) pixels.

Story: No doubts on this one... I expected it to be epic, considering all the hype from the fanboys.

UI: At first, I didn't really understand what everyone meant when they said, "This game is for consoles," until I actually played it. For a complicated game, Bethesda dumbified it so that it would be console controller friendly. I don't think I've had such an easier time navigating through all the menus. +1

Beaches, moans and gripes: Well, being a Nord, I decided to go with the warrior route. And wow...

I am getting SLAUGHTERED. Character classes need to be more balanced, I believe.

*SPOILER* As a Level 7 Warrior type, I took on an frozen ice trolll in Hagarth before talking to the Whitebeards/Whitemanes, and there was NO WAY IN HELL I was tanking that thing. Even my arrows were barely doing anything! It was to the point where the troll would regain health faster than my damage from shooting arrows! I saw some video gameplay, and some guy was casting fire spells that actually finished the stupid troll 5x as fast I was.... The only way I defeated the troll was exploiting the map and wasted 50 arrows and casting fire-spells like crazy. Some warrior I am.

The in-game map and roads are extremely hard to navigate to. I wish they made it easier to read the topographic-style game map and made the compass useful.

All this is minor compared to my biggest gripe.... CAN WE GET ENEMY NPC DAMAGE FEEDBACK?!?! The game feels so SHALLOW when you pummel them only to have them standing still, not flinching after receiving a sword to the freaking head, etc... I think Bioshock even had SOME enemy feedback and that game was released YEARS ago. Seriously, the combat feels so empty even with all the pro's. Either through a patch or something, there NEEDS to be this crucial feature in the game. Seriously kills the feel of combat, especially for a game that stresses role-playing.

[quote name='saunderscowie']Just wondering can you assign things so you can quick select them from the d-pad or something? Its getting annoying having to go into the menu everytime to equip my bow, a spell etc, or is there an easier way of doing it and i'm just being stupid?[/QUOTE]

wondering the same thing. Im clicking to the menu everytime also.

[quote name='saunderscowie']Just wondering can you assign things so you can quick select them from the d-pad or something? Its getting annoying having to go into the menu everytime to equip my bow, a spell etc, or is there an easier way of doing it and i'm just being stupid?[/QUOTE]

When you go into the items menu, you can assign favorite weapons and spells by highlighting them and pressing Y.

During gameplay press UP on the d-pad to bring up the list.
You can also alternate which hand you want the item in by pressing LT/RT.

I struggled like hell against that ice troll too, even with that female sidekick you get, the way I took it down was by using a poison I had that made whoever I hit take extra fire damage, then assigning flames to both hands and burning it away, just make sure you have some magicka potions as well. And I'm not using a mage build, i have a light armored khajiit rogue-type character. so you should try that

anyone get that first companion for
helping the Jarl of whiterun all the way, he gives you that companion to help /follow you. well i had her follow me everywhere no problem yesterday, i saved and went to bed last night, am playing now and shes no where to be found?

[quote name='oldboy']As a Level 7 Warrior type, I took on an frozen ice trolll in Hagarth before talking to the Whitebeards/Whitemanes, and there was NO WAY IN HELL I was tanking that thing. Even my arrows were barely doing anything! It was to the point where the troll would regain health faster than my damage from shooting arrows! I saw some video gameplay, and some guy was casting fire spells that actually finished the stupid troll 5x as fast I was.... The only way I defeated the troll was exploiting the map and wasted 50 arrows and casting fire-spells like crazy. Some warrior I am.
[/QUOTE]

It's pretty much classic RPG lore that trolls need to be killed/damaged with fire. Everyone starts with a flame spell, I believe. But trolls in Elder Scrolls series have always been a nuisance.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']anyone get that first companion for
helping the Jarl of whiterun all the way, he gives you that companion to help /follow you. well i had her follow me everywhere no problem yesterday, i saved and went to bed last night, am playing now and shes no where to be found?
[/QUOTE]

She'll either be inside Dragonsreach or wandering around in your house (If you bought one already).

That is, if you told her to part ways...

Game definitely has its claws in me. Playing the PC version, but this seems to be the only active ESV thread, so I guess I'll hang out here. I am playing with a 360 controller, though, as the menu is not mouse and keyboard friendly at all.

15 hours played so far, and I'm ready to crawl back into it again.

Level 15, almost 16 Female Nord. Heavy Armor, 1h mace and shield. Smithing and Enchanting. The crafting is probably responsible for several of my levels.

Today, I spent a lot of time on non-questy stuff. Still had a blast.

Crafted my own set of armor:
Dwarven Armor
dwarfarmor.jpg

Ran into my second dragon while out gathering mats for the other half of my armor
dragon2.jpg

Gathered money to purchase a house and fully upgrade it.
Awesome storage options since I am a packrat, including two bookshelves to house my collection of already 50+ unique books
bookshelf.jpg

And finally got a horse. Heavy Armor makes you move rather slowly, so this was welcome
esvhorse.jpg

What an epic game so far.

[quote name='KrizB']
Question, anyone figure out how to remove arrows from your body? [/QUOTE]

Finally found one way to get rid of them.

After they stripped me of weapons during the bar brawl in Riverwood (Companions 1st quest, beat up Sven the Bard), the arrows were gone.

Hopefully there's still ways to beat up people in bars, 100-200 hours into the game.

Where do you go to buy a house? I can't seem to figure it out yet, and the only place I've been to is Whiterun, but I remember Jarl mentioning it after I beat the first mission for him...

bread's done
Back