The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 11/11/11

[quote name='retro.elite']Latest patch for Xbox is out, but they are still working on the PS3 patch :([/QUOTE]

Will wait for more info on what's newly broken before downloading.

[quote name='retro.elite']Latest patch for Xbox is out, but they are still working on the PS3 patch :([/QUOTE]

Patch notes:

• General stability improvements
  • Optimize performance for Core 2 Duo CPUs (PC)
  • Fixed Radiant Story incorrectly filling certain roles
  • Fixed magic resistances not calculating properly
  • Fixed issue with placing books on bookshelves inside player purchased homes
  • Fixed dragon animation issues with saving and loading
  • Fixed Y-look input to scale correctly with framerate
There doesn't seem much point to patching if you aren't having serious issues with the game since launch. All I need a marriage bug patch to finish my first profile, but it doesn't seem worth the risk. Especially if this one breaks more than the last patch.

Good luck to those that DL it.

i used to not have the backward flying dragons until recently, so patching is definitely worth it...there could have been bugs that I just never encountered. this I hope fixes that in addition to other things not even mentioned.

[quote name='WV Matsui']Thanks man! I'll probably just stick with my PS3 copy![/QUOTE]

I would. It'll keep getting patched as time goes on. Bethesda release some wildly buggy games but they're still playable most of the time and given their (probable) interest in lots of DLC for the title, they'll be dealing with Skyrim for a long time to come.

At worst, finish the main story and some interesting sounding sidequests on PS3 and then hit up the 360 for the eventual GOTY release that'll include all the DLC.

Run into something annoying on the game, doing the Dark Brotherhood and doing what I take are the last missions.
Doing the mission where you have to kill the emperor, but he's a double. So I go back to the HQ where it's under attack. But when I go to the night mother and close the coffin she talks then the screen goes black and thats it. I can still hear noise in the background but I can't do anything.. waited like five minutes and nothing. Reset xbox and same thing happened.

Any ideas? Same thing happen to anyone else?

[quote name='saunderscowie']Run into something annoying on the game, doing the Dark Brotherhood and doing what I take are the last missions.
Doing the mission where you have to kill the emperor, but he's a double. So I go back to the HQ where it's under attack. But when I go to the night mother and close the coffin she talks then the screen goes black and thats it. I can still hear noise in the background but I can't do anything.. waited like five minutes and nothing. Reset xbox and same thing happened.

Any ideas? Same thing happen to anyone else?[/QUOTE]

It's supposed to go black and you hear noise. Either your game is freezing there or you're not waiting long enough.

[quote name='saunderscowie']I wait a long time trust me, but my xbox freeze, guide button doesn't pull up the guide etc[/QUOTE]

Try loading a prior save and playing from there.

The latest patch for Skyrim pretty much corrupted all my autosave files for the game on my 360 and now I can't install my disc onto the console and every time I try to boot up a new game characters and some environments are intensely purple because of the texture bug. I had zero problems with 1.2 and 1.3 comes to ruin everything. I've tried resetting my cache and what not but no dice. I'll have to find a spare skyrim disc to borrow or rent so that I can install the game and pray everything does not go awry. Pretty much ruined my gaming plans for the next week. From reading other reports I don't think Bethesda understands the magnitude of these issues something that should not happen in a potential GOTY.

[quote name='saunderscowie']Went back to an older save, same problem.. grr guess I can't finish the Dark Brotherhood now.[/QUOTE]

You have it installed on your HDD? If not, that would most likely fix it!

Did the patch address installing it onto your hard drive? When the game was first released people said to avoid installing because it caused problems.

[quote name='saunderscowie']Did the patch address installing it onto your hard drive? When the game was first released people said to avoid installing because it caused problems.[/QUOTE]

I would think that three patches would address that, haha! I mean, try it. The worst that can happen is that it didn't, and you have to uninstall. I'd go for it, and see! When I installed FO:NV, it helped a ton with this kind of thing.

Hey Guys ..I know i may be sounding like a noob but I am looking for some honest feedback ..is this game worth getting into. I am not a person who plays these types games all the time but some friends have been bugging me to buy it and with the 40 dollar deal at TRU I may take advantage ..

Thanks for Any Help!

[quote name='TheSportsGamer23']Hey Guys ..I know i may be sounding like a noob but I am looking for some honest feedback ..is this game worth getting into. I am not a person who plays these types games all the time but some friends have been bugging me to buy it and with the 40 dollar deal at TRU I may take advantage ..

Thanks for Any Help![/QUOTE]

Yes, yes it is.

[quote name='saunderscowie']Did the patch address installing it onto your hard drive? When the game was first released people said to avoid installing because it caused problems.[/QUOTE]

It didn't really didn't cause problems aside from a texture issue. The recent patch appears to have fixed that, but it used to take 4-5 seconds to load from indoors to outdoors and now it takes 12-13 seconds.

[quote name='TheSportsGamer23']Hey Guys ..I know i may be sounding like a noob but I am looking for some honest feedback ..is this game worth getting into. I am not a person who plays these types games all the time but some friends have been bugging me to buy it and with the 40 dollar deal at TRU I may take advantage ..

Thanks for Any Help![/QUOTE]

if you check the sales, skyrim is selling like hot cakes. I'm guessing most ppl are avg 100 hours since release. It's that good, even despite some of the bugs.

Im having a hard time figuring something out. Don't reveal if you haven't done the companions.

I can't figure out how to cure my lycanthropy. I cured vodlak after he passed, but wasn't able to throw a head into the flame myself.

[quote name='Rumors']Im having a hard time figuring something out. Don't reveal if you haven't done the companions.

I can't figure out how to cure my lycanthropy. I cured vodlak after he passed, but wasn't able to throw a head into the flame myself.
[/QUOTE]

did you take more than one witches head? if not you will have to go back to where the witches are and take more heads

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']
did you take more than one witches head? if not you will have to go back to where the witches are and take more heads
[/QUOTE]
I cleared out the entire cave and have four additional heads. Fire just will not activate for me

Quick question currently deployed until May. I have no way to get the patch because i can't connect to the internet. Is this game unplayable without the patch. I would love to play now since I have tons of free time, but i don't want to play it if it is clearly inferior. Or are the bugs more of a humorous quirky variety

i would scroll back and read but i don't want to get overly spoiled

[quote name='jlarlee']Quick question currently deployed until May. I have no way to get the patch because i can't connect to the internet. Is this game unplayable without the patch. I would love to play now since I have tons of free time, but i don't want to play it if it is clearly inferior. Or are the bugs more of a humorous quirky variety

i would scroll back and read but i don't want to get overly spoiled[/QUOTE]

I'd say you're much safer without installing any of the patches so I would go ahead and play it as is. Some of the bugs that are broken in the unpatched version are better to have than the worse bugs added after installing any of the patches.

[quote name='jlarlee']Quick question currently deployed until May. I have no way to get the patch because i can't connect to the internet. Is this game unplayable without the patch. I would love to play now since I have tons of free time, but i don't want to play it if it is clearly inferior. Or are the bugs more of a humorous quirky variety

i would scroll back and read but i don't want to get overly spoiled[/QUOTE]

Go ahead and play! Patchless is fine for this one! Oh, and I love your status! Tigers may love pepper, but when a monkey nibbles on a penis, it's funny in any language!

[quote name='Rumors']
I cleared out the entire cave and have four additional heads. Fire just will not activate for me
[/QUOTE]

Makes no sense then, must just be a glitch for you. Worked for me, I had the option to throw it into the fire (I didn't though). I too cleared out the whole cave and have four extra witches heads (none of which I can drop, due to them being called "quest items").

I just picked this up tonight and I was wondering if it is okay to install this game to my HDD. I remember reading that installing the game to the Xbox 360 HDD actually makes the game look worse in terms of graphics; or something to that extent. Thanks in advance.

[quote name='Ma12kez']I just picked this up tonight and I was wondering if it is okay to install this game to my HDD. I remember reading that installing the game to the Xbox 360 HDD actually makes the game look worse in terms of graphics; or something to that extent. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

They patched it awhile ago, I've had it installed and no issues so far.

[quote name='ShadowSx']They patched it awhile ago, I've had it installed and no issues so far.[/QUOTE]Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply. Can't wait to try it out once I get home.:whee:

Anyone here own the guide? Would you say it was money well spent? There is just so damn much of this game and I'm a little afraid to seek out tips for fear of spoilers.

[quote name='ZForce915']Anyone here own the guide? Would you say it was money well spent? There is just so damn much of this game and I'm a little afraid to seek out tips for fear of spoilers.[/QUOTE]

I have the hardcover guide, but haven't opened it yet (i'll honestly just try and sell it at this point)...there's a lot to the game of course but for the most part i've seen gold is never a problem equipment is never a problem, being powerful is never a problem etc, quests for the most part are pretty straight fwd and even puzzles don't require too much thought after some investigation or even trial and error.

...and if you want to 100% all the achievements, you don't need a guide book at all + there's the wiki.

So i'd recommend against seeking tips and just enjoy not knowing or the temptation of knowing.

My next playthrough will involve me not ever looting stuff unless it's an upgrade or quest item. no archery perks, enchanting, or smithing, no pickpocketing unless it's for a quest. Just alchemy, sneaking, and 1H wpns.

[quote name='matto1233']Does anybody know at what town can I get the best horse at?[/QUOTE]

All the horses you can buy are identical except for their look.

The horse you get as part of the Dark Brotherhood questline is better, but not dramatically so.

[quote name='100xp']I have the hardcover guide, but haven't opened it yet (i'll honestly just try and sell it at this point)...there's a lot to the game of course but for the most part i've seen gold is never a problem equipment is never a problem, being powerful is never a problem etc, quests for the most part are pretty straight fwd and even puzzles don't require too much thought after some investigation or even trial and error.

...and if you want to 100% all the achievements, you don't need a guide book at all + there's the wiki.

So i'd recommend against seeking tips and just enjoy not knowing or the temptation of knowing.

My next playthrough will involve me not ever looting stuff unless it's an upgrade or quest item. no archery perks, enchanting, or smithing, no pickpocketing unless it's for a quest. Just alchemy, sneaking, and 1H wpns.[/QUOTE]

You say money isn't an issue? When does that become the case? I'm only a few hours in and I'm sitting with just under 2000 gold.

[quote name='ZForce915']You say money isn't an issue? When does that become the case? I'm only a few hours in and I'm sitting with just under 2000 gold.[/QUOTE]

a few hours in an you're just under 2000 gp? to me that's pretty good don't you think?

at higher levels equipment found and looted scales, so when every other corpse you loot has ebony wpns and armor (which you can smith) in it trying to find enough shopkeepers to sell your wares takes longer than actual quests. gold doesn't become an issues later on...even when buying the most expensive of houses.

this is why my next playthrough for the challenge is to be a minimalist and take only what I need. (upping the difficulty seems to only make you deal less damage and the enemy does more...however it doesn't seem to make them smarter)

[quote name='bvharris']All the horses you can buy are identical except for their look.

The horse you get as part of the Dark Brotherhood questline is better, but not dramatically so.[/QUOTE]

Wait, I thought
the Dark Brotherhood horse was supposedly unkillable. Isn't that dramatically better than a horse that can die?

[quote name='BingoBrown']Wait, I thought
the Dark Brotherhood horse was supposedly unkillable. Isn't that dramatically better than a horse that can die?
[/QUOTE]

It is. And, it proves handy in a fight. It is amazingly better than any other.

Wow, I'm bringing my Dark Brotherhood horse with my more often now. It looked so cool
that I was worried about it getting killed. Apparently that won't be a problem

I hate my dark brotherhood horse. He (she?) always appears after I fast travel and I never use him (her?). Is there a way to keep it from fast traveling? Like storing it somewhere?

[quote name='gbpackers94']I hate my dark brotherhood horse. He (she?) always appears after I fast travel and I never use him (her?). Is there a way to keep it from fast traveling? Like storing it somewhere?[/QUOTE]

Every horse does that...

Finished every achievement woot. Also somehow I lost my db horse, maybe it can die. It was getting annoying anyway as gbpackers said about the fast travel thing with it.

[quote name='mrfury']Finished every achievement woot. Also somehow I lost my db horse, maybe it can die. It was getting annoying anyway as gbpackers said about the fast travel thing with it.[/QUOTE]

Shadowmere isn't "invincible" as in it won't die from damage, but in it that if he does die, he'll respawn at the place of death after a little while.

Ok so here is an interesting question. Which vendor has the most gold on hand? I have a few big ticket items that sell for over 1k gold and I need a place to sell them. Any thoughts?

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Ok so here is an interesting question. Which vendor has the most gold on hand? I have a few big ticket items that sell for over 1k gold and I need a place to sell them. Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

The vendors for the Thieve's guild have a sh1tload of gold, like 4000, after completing the
Restore the thieve's guild to their former glory quests
(very very minor spoiler) Alternatively, level up speech and invest gold in the merchants.

the other option is to buy stuff from a vendor to sell larger priced items from your inventory, I find there's always room for ebony ingots, grand soul gems (filled), and rare ingredients.

[quote name='100xp']the other option is to buy stuff from a vendor to sell larger priced items from your inventory, I find there's always room for ebony ingots, grand soul gems (filled), and rare ingredients.[/QUOTE]

Money is really no object for me anymore, it's about to be north of 60000 septims, so everytime I visit a store, I invest in it as well.

bread's done
Back