The Era of Punk Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No surprise that he tested positive for a performance enhancer.
unbranded-rbk-mini-trampoline.jpg

[quote name='Halo05']I thought the same thing when Miz went down. There was just something very wrong about how he landed. It wasn't anything like a traditional bump.

Towards the end of that match, Kofi looked like he smashed his face on a ladder when they were all falling off the cluster up towards the briefcase. I had horrible visions of that ladder match where Joey Mercury got obliterated by the ladder see-saw.[/QUOTE]

Swagger also narrowly avoided a Triple/H RVD style throat injury when he and Kofi fell near the ropes at the end - Kofi extended his leg at the last second to plant his foot on the other side, otherwise his knee was going straight into Swagger's neck.

I just want to thank my girlfriend's dumbass work friend. First they say they need help moving stuff into their apartment from their garage last night so in order to keep peace at my house I agree. Then they say they'll buy us dinner before we do the moving. The check comes and what do you know, they ask for it to be split. :bomb: Whatever, dinner's done, its 8:15, I can still make the main event if we get this fucking moving show on the road. We get to their apartment and proceed to SIT THE fuck AROUND FOR OVER AN HOUR before starting to move their stuff in. Then, we find out the "moving" consists of bringing in 6 boxes from the back of their minivan. Now its about 9:45 and any hopes of seeing the main event are dashed. Keep checking internet live updates and see that Punk wins and I missed one of the best pay per views of the year.

Last time I missed a pay per view because of some of my girlfriend's work bullshit? Royal Rumble. Its like she knows what the best PPVs are gonna be so she can make sure something is going on. Why couldn't they have moved during Extreme Rules? I could have easily missed that one...

Oh well, at any rate, I'm pumped to see what's gonna happen tonight on Raw with the aftermath.

Oh and about Sin Cara, dude's already been on thin ice because of his in ring performance, this substance policy violation is probably the last nail in the coffin of his main event career for a while.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I just want to thank my girlfriend's dumbass work friend. First they say they need help moving stuff into their apartment from their garage last night so in order to keep peace at my house I agree. Then they say they'll buy us dinner before we do the moving. The check comes and what do you know, they ask for it to be split. :bomb: Whatever, dinner's done, its 8:15, I can still make the main event if we get this fucking moving show on the road. We get to their apartment and proceed to SIT THE fuck AROUND FOR OVER AN HOUR before starting to move their stuff in. Then, we find out the "moving" consists of bringing in 6 boxes from the back of their minivan. Now its about 9:45 and any hopes of seeing the main event are dashed. Keep checking internet live updates and see that Punk wins and I missed one of the best pay per views of the year.

Last time I missed a pay per view because of some of my girlfriend's work bullshit? Royal Rumble. Its like she knows what the best PPVs are gonna be so she can make sure something is going on. Why couldn't they have moved during Extreme Rules? I could have easily missed that one...

[/QUOTE]

Was wondering where you were last night. You and survivalism were both missed in the chat. ......Not really, but kinda sorta. :lol:

[quote name='ShinSolidus']Was wondering where you were last night. You and survivalism were both missed in the chat. ......Not really, but kinda sorta. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Aww gee, kinda sorta thanks. :) Is there gonna be a chat for Raw tonight?

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']Sin Cara has been suspended for violating the Wellness Policy. I suppose that's why they worked that ridiculous injury angle last night. Lawler tried to sell Cara's "involuntary" shaking of hands and feet as "nerve damage."[/QUOTE]
¡Ay madre dios! Lex Luger's really doing a bang-up job on his involvement with the Wellness Policy. Sin Cara failed steroid test in June, WWE waited weeks to suspend him - this despite the policy saying:
First Violation: In the event of an initial positive test for substances prohibited by this Policy other than marijuana and alcohol, the WWE Talent shall be suspended for thirty (30) days, fined an amount equal to thirty (30) days' pay deducted from the WWE Talent's downside guarantee on a weekly basis and WWE will publicly disclose the WWE Talent's name and duration of the suspension and indicating a first violation the Policy.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Aww gee, kinda sorta thanks. :) Is there gonna be a chat for Raw tonight?[/QUOTE]

yeah, I'll get it made around 8:30 or 8:45-ish, unless Scorch, or someone else gets to it first.

Amazing show overall. Loved the SD MITB. Sin Cara's new white, gold, and black gear as a fantastic homage to his Mistico stuff with the black really adding a nice edge to it. Gabriel's new autotuned theme is terrible and Slater's, which is just their post-Corre tag theme, is worse. The powerbomb off the apron through the ladder looked awesome - you don't see ANY of them off the apron in WWE, so it stood out instantly there, although they need to stop the "ladder breaks in half" spot - that meant something in '07, and means nothing now. Loved seeing Cody go from a non-factor in the match to a Cross Rhodes-ing machine. The doomsday device was also a markout moment - that was the start of the Chicago love on this show. Gabriel's 450 off a ladder was terrifying due to how unstable it was, but he pulled it off perfectly. Danielson's win was a pleasant surprise - I thought it would be Sheamus or Barrett since Danielson's still feuding with Cody. Women's match was every Raw divas match ever, but Kelly took a good-looking stomach-first bump on the floor. Henry-Show was about what I expected, only with Henry sporting new swank blue and grey gear that really made him look slimmer. Henry picking up Show for the World's Strongest Slam like he was nothing was scary, and using it to get a two, but still keep Show down, was a good way to keep the move strong, even if it was just a setup for the splash finish. Enjoyed the post-match Vader bomb onto the chair, ala Vader-Yoko in '96. Although it seems a bit strange to do this as a big injury angle and not BIG SHOW BEING HIT BY A CAR.

Loved King asking Booker if he thinks everything's pre-determined before the Raw MITB and later saying that it was ridiculous for everyone to fight over a step-ladder that wouldn't reach the briefcase. It's a shame he doesn't watch anything other than Raw, because his commentary hurt the SD MITB, but was good here. Riley trying to get the case with a small ladder looked goofy and made him look stupid. He made up for that with a sweet-looking flip dive to the floor though. Bourne's SSP in the aisle off the ladder was crazy. Rey and Evan doing a double climb over Alberto and Truth leading to a double rana was awesome and a new spot as well. That's one downside to having two of these MITB matches per year/show though - they run through new stuff faster and the idea of it being the 9th/10th MITB match in history really does wear thin when they trumpet the number as important and then blow through two of them in one night. Boom drop off the top of the ladder was cute - not as cool as what he did last year though. Rey's 619 through the ladder was impressive. The spot where everyone was atop the ladder was terrifying, but luckily no one got hurt. That was saved for Swagger taking a sick fall off the ladder right onto his back with the ladder on top of him and Kofi not far behind. That looked awful - far worse than Miz's fall that seemingly jammed his knee earlier. His one-legged return after this spot made him an instant face. And the crowd booed Rey huge when he stopped Miz from winning with a swank sunset bomb. Alberto unmasking Rey to prevent him from winning was a great, logical spot. Unfortunately, it also led to all the ladders falling down, including the one Alberto was on, so it slowed the match down.

Orton-Christian was very good, but I'm numb to their matches now, which is bad, because the nature of the title win being by DQ basically ensures ANOTHER rematch. Well, unless they have Danielson cash the case in on SD and turn Christian's world title reigns into a running gag of always ending at five days. The DQ stip helped when it led to Christian spitting in Orton's face, but the win, despite coming at the hands of Christian outsmarting Orton, doesn't really help him. Punk-Cena was just amazing. Punk's intro with a new shirt, a HUGE ovation and a pan throughout the building of legit Pepsi banners was awesome. This could've been his legit retirement match and I'd have been fine with it - the reaction was incredible. For a WWE comparison, it was like RVD at ONS '06 but in a huge building, with the entire place going nuts, but with that same intimate feel. For Punk, it was his ROH farewell on a huge scale - something I don't think anyone, Punk included, figured he'd get EVER get in WWE.

He went into the company happy if he wound up like Shannon Moore - a prelim guy, but one with a healthy bank account and here, he came in as a hero, kissed his mother before the match, and won WWE's top title. When he won the world title in '08, it was a huge deal for that night, but was a clear step down for the title because they kept his card positioning largely the same. Just three years later, he won the company's A title, in the top storyline, and so far, the only one that has actually found a way to overshadow the Rock-Cena specter that looms over every Cena feud. Punk being the only guy in the building to clap for Cena, while standing next to Colt, was hilarious. Cole, despite being terrible at various times throughout the show, was fantastic in building up the legacy of the WWE Title. The only thing really hurting it is the design of the title looking so ridiculous that it's hard to take it seriously. Cole missed a golden opportunity to bring up that Cena nearly beat Kurt Angle in his debut when talking about his debut being in the same building nine years ago while talking about the match starting with chain wrestling. Punk's "ME!?" after the YOU CAN'T WRESTLE chant was something new. Cena did a lot more ground wrestling than he usually does, which was nice to see - helped it stand out even more. The cross body off the top was ugly, but in knd of a good way as it made things seem a bit more real. Cena actually going down to the floor with the suplex to the floor was a surprise. He really had his working shoes on tonight. Well...maybe not for the abdominal stretch. THAT looked dreadful. Punk's kick out of the you can't see me stuff ruled.

Punk avoiding the FU with wacky karate kicks was awesome. Punk's rope-assisted Shining Wizards were sick - especially the first one. Loved the last-second counter of the GTS into an STF - that came out of nowhere, as did the Anaconda Vise during it. Awesome-looking sequence there. And then it led to an FU that also came out of nowhere. The powerbomb out of the top rope legdrop looked funky, but I didn't mind that because it bugs me when things look too perfect when they really shouldn't - it would make sense for Punk to not have perfect control over a guy who is coming down at a great height and who is much bigger than him. Couldn't believe Punk kicked out of the second FU. The frankenpunker off the top was a nice surprise. The look of despair on Punk's face after the GTS sent Cena to the floor was fantastic. It's a shame he threw him in at 2. I'm glad they held off on the Montreal tease for the third STF, because you're thinking during the first one, okay, if they're doing ANYTHING with this, they're doing it now, then they don't do it so it leaves your mind. Cena preventing it was a great boost for Cena's character. He made the right move for the greater good, even if it wasn't the best move for him. Punk winning with another GTS, leading to Vince in shock in the aisle while a fan holds up a sign with Dave Lagana's twitter URL was something else. Then Vince demanded Alberto come out, he did, got kicked right in the face, and I thought, okay, now Vince is going to get the ace in the hole - HHH. The son in law will surely help him here, but nope, Punk actually got to close the show as champion by running through the crowd while a ringside fan flipped him off. Tremendous. This show is so worth buying the DVD for. The only thing that would've made this better is if the show-closing deal with Punk holding the title above his head in the stands had been right underneath the Pepsi ads.

Screens -

Quotes -
Cole - IT IS A NIGHT WHERE THE MOST COVETED PRIZE IN SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT COULD BE TAKEN FROM US FOREVER! HELLO, YOU’RE LOOKING LIVE AT THE SOLD-OUT ALL STATE ARENA IN CHICAGO!
Booker - IT’S MONEY IN THA BANK, DAWG!
Booker - HE’S GONNA NEED A BIGGER LADDER!
Booker - LOOK AT THAT SUPERHERO, D-BRYAN! GETTIN’ AIR!
Cole - DID YOU JUST CALL DANIEL BRYAN A SUPERHERO!?
Booker - Yeah, kinda.
Cole - Is he the star of Revenge of the Nerds?
Booker - SIN CARA’S LIGHTING IT UP WITH THE GREATEST OF EASE!
Cole - There he is - the cliché machine, Booker T!
Crowd - LOD! LOD!
Booker - SHEAMUS JUST WIPED THAT BOY CLEAN!
Booker - I gave Daniel Bryan the name D-Bryan cuz I see something in him!
Booker - JUSTIN GABLE JUST DID THAT IN A TELEPHONE BOOTH!
Booker - Barrett said he’s looking for bigger fish to fry - THIS COULD BE THE BIG TROUT HE’S BEEN LOOKING FOR!
Cole - I don’t consider trout that big.
King - When God invented lipo, he had the divas in mind.
Vince - Let me just say, for the record, that this guy is the BIGGEST INGRATE I’VE EVER DEALT WITH IN MY LIFE! I OFFERED HIM A NEW CONTRACT, THE MOST LUCRATIVE CONTRACT I’VE EVER OFFERED ANYONE…and he turned it down. CM Punk’s fans shouldn’t blame me - I did everything I could to keep him a part of the roster, so it’s not on me.
Josh - What did he say?
Vince - He pointed at a door and said GET OUT! HE SAID THAT TO ME, VINCE MCMAHON!
Booker - It was a shame to lose Alberto in the draft.
King - Yeah, but do you really believe in destiny? That everything’s planned out and predetermined?! I don’t believe that!
Cole - Hey Alex Riley - HAHAHAHAHA!
King - These guys are all fighting over a ladder that won’t reach the briefcase!
Cole - ALEX RILEY LOOKS TO GO IN THE BACKDOOR!
King - Booker, you’re not gonna like this, but Kofi told me if he wins, he’ll do a spinarooni!
Booker - TELL ME YA DIDN’T JUST SAY THAT!
Booker - I’m picking Bourne to win.
King - You gonna stick with that pick.
Booker - Not now - I’m picking Rey.
(after Miz is foiled with a sunset bomb)Cole - DARN IT!
Cole - KILLSWITCH! IT’TS OVER! NEW CHAMPION! TWO!? THAT WAS A WHISKER AWAY!
Cole - It’s all about the WWE Championship. Formed by Mr. McMahon’s father, Vince Sr, back in ‘63. In nearly 50 years, only 40 men have held the honor of wearing this championship. The likes of Bruno Sammartino, Bob Backlund, Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Stone Cold Steve Austin, the Rock, HHH, Undertaker, Edge, Randy Orton, and Cena. It is the symbol of this company. It is everything to the McMahon family. Here we go - Cena-Punk, one of the biggest matches in the history of WWE.
Cole - Punk says he’s the best WRESTLER in the world, and he’s starting off with some chain wrestling.
Crowd - YOU CAN’T WRESTLE!
Punk - ME!? Or him? Okay.
Cole - What’s ironic is that Chicago has been such a great city for WWE - PERHAPS THE BEST OVER THE PAST 40-50 YEARS!
Cole - Punk, SHOOTING THE HALF!
Booker - Lemme tell ya something about the WWE Title - I’ve won every major title, and that’s the only one that has eluded me.
Cole - Same with you, Jerry.
King - WHAT’S YOUR POINT!?
King - Well, really, you couldn’t have said it any better earlier - it’s the holy grail of this sport.
Booker - Cena entered this building on a white horse and the fans booed him, but like Rocky Balboa over in Russia, he’s turning ‘em! HAHA!
Cole - I don’t even know how to respond to that.
Booker - This is one of those matches that you’ll remember…
Cole - FOREVER!
Booker - For the rest of your life.
Booker - YOU CAN COUNT TO A HUNDRED!
Cole - IN ONE HOUR AND 14 MINUTES, CM PUNK IS NO LONGER AN EMPLOYEE OF WWE!
Vince - STOP THE MUSIC. CUT THE MUSIC! Give me Alberto out here, cash it in. GET HIM OUT EHRE!

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']"@CMPunk
On my couch. About to put the title on the line against Piston Honda."

I fuckin' love this guy.[/QUOTE]

I retweeted that the second after I saw that. Brilliant.

Just caught wind that WWE just trademarked a new slogan: "Sooner or later, everyone taps".

This, along with his MitB win last night, points to Danielson getting a nice push real soon.

[quote name='Purple Flames']Just caught wind that WWE just trademarked a new slogan: "Sooner or later, everyone taps".

This, along with his MitB win last night, points to Danielson getting a nice push real soon.[/QUOTE]

Yep, for merchandise. You can see all their trademarks here. It's about time, he deserves the push. I don't know what kind of internal shakeup has happened in the past month or so in regards to writing, but I hope that they keep it up!

WWE announced Monday morning that Luis Ignascio Urive Alvirde, who performs as Sin Cara, has been suspended for 30 days due to his first violation of the organization's Talent Wellness Program.

Sin Cara's suspension is due to a drug test failure which WWE was notified of weeks ago. A reporter for PWInsider.com says he learned of Sin Cara's drug test failure on June 20 but was unable to find a corroborating source at the time. The WWE Superstar reportedly tested positive for anabolic steroids in early June.

F4WOnline.com adds that he may not be brought back when his suspension is lifted.

Sin Cara was written off television during last night's Money in the Bank pay-per-view. During the SmackDown Money in the Bank Ladder Match, Sheamus viciously powerbombed the masked grappler from the ring apron through a steel ladder. He was subsequently stretchered to the back by paramedics. To explain his absence from television, WWE.com announced this afternoon that he suffered a posterior fractured rib and will be sidelined for at least four weeks.

uh oh...

John Piermirini actually went into great detail about the writing shakeup on a PWTorch livecast last week. He explained how Ed Koskey, former lead writer of ECW and NXT, has taken over on the Smackdown side of things. He also said that Koskey likes to push those who he is familiar with including former talents from NXT and ECW. This might explain the Bryan and Christian wins from last night.

Edit: Piermirini was on the WWE RAW writing staff from 2008-2010.

[quote name='JJSP']Usually that only happens once someone loses the mask - has he lost his mask in lucha anywhere?[/QUOTE]

If he did, he's not allowed to wear it again, Rey Mysterio.

[quote name='ShinSolidus']Was wondering where you were last night. You and survivalism were both missed in the chat. ......Not really, but kinda sorta. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I wanted to watch one show without you mentioning Bobby Heenan or Piper Perabo.

Edit: "Gorilla, what's with you naming all the body parts?"
"I just happen to know a lot about it, why don't you try it?"
"He kicked him right in the uterus!"
"WILL you stop!"

[quote name='Survivalism']If he did, he's not allowed to wear it again, Rey Mysterio.

I wanted to watch one show without you mentioning Bobby Heenan or Piper Perabo.[/QUOTE]

See? That's why you were kinda sorta missed!

Oh yeah, definitely modeled that speech after Punk's ("I care too much", mentions watching his friends get screwed, etc.) and even mentions watching Money in the Bank.

Sort of a mix of the worked-shoots by Joey Styles and CM Punk.

Good for that guy. Hopefully, he didn't need the money.

Craig Tello, a writer for WWE.com, issued an apology Monday to Executive Vice President John Laurinaitis and WWE for using "disparaging terminology" in his article covering the events of last night's WWE Championship Match at Money in the Bank.

Tello wrote: "As a senior WWE.com writer, I would like to publically apologize to Executive Vice President John Laurinaitis and WWE for my use of disparaging terminology in WWE.com's article covering the events of last night's Money in the Bank WWE Championship Match.

"The term I used was inappropriate for an executive at WWE, Inc. I greatly respect Mr. Laurinaitis and his efforts within the WWE organization."

Tello referred to Laurinaitis as "McMahon"s 2011 stooge" in his article on the title match. The remark has since been whitewashed.

huh? Wha?

[quote name='Purple Flames']I wanna see Danielson just go nuts, shave his head, win the belt, and just start Cattle Mutilating motherfuckers left and right.[/QUOTE]

This x1,000,000,000! :applause:

Predictions on tonight?

Tonight starts the road to Summerslam. Raw's lacking some big names right now, and it only gets worse with with Punk and (presumably) Cena out. It's the perfect time for younger stars to get a push (ADR, Bourne, Truth, etc), but I don't think that they'll go without a big star. I'm expecting a surprise return tonight, possibly Triple H, or maybe even Jericho.

[quote name='Scorch']Predictions on tonight?

Tonight starts the road to Summerslam. Raw's lacking some big names right now, and it only gets worse with with Punk and (presumably) Cena out. It's the perfect time for younger stars to get a push (ADR, Bourne, Truth, etc), but I don't think that they'll go without a big star. I'm expecting a surprise return tonight, possibly Triple H, or maybe even Jericho.[/QUOTE]

I'm interested to see how they handle the Cena's fired stipulation in light of Punk already calling out the previous unemployed Cena storyline as complete bullshit.

I'm gonna say, and this WOULD have been a longshot before last night, but my flames have been reignited.

Christian comes out after your typical McMahon/Cena what-not fiasco, he positions himself as the rightful leader of the ship, being the last champ. Out comes Orton, people are whining, out comes ADR, who says he's owed a shot at the belt regardless, and then finally comes Daniel Bryan, who says he wants to take on Christian.

What ensues is a whole Punk-come-back-and-face-me-and-show-who's-really-the-best-in-the-world mark-out storyline. Chances of happening, even after last night? 10% But still.

[quote name='Some asshole']"The term I used was inappropriate for an executive at WWE, Inc. I greatly respect Mr. Laurinaitis and his efforts within the WWE organization."[/quote]

Yeah, it takes a lot of talent to lose Chris Jericho and CM Punk. I don't know where he found time to do it in between kissing Vince's ass and never being half of what his brother was.

PS - If you think Cena/Punk wasn't better than Taker/HHH, you're mad.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Scorch']I bet they'll use this storyline to end the brand split.[/QUOTE]

That would be pretty badass. Bryan/ADR for a singular MitB case, then Bryan cashes in on Punk at SS. Niiice!

Doubtful. They can't just move on as if Punk holding the title is something to avoid, and act like Christian is the singular champion of the company.

There will be a resolution to all this, no doubt. I still want to see Punk hit ROH this weekend with the title. Or PWG, or whatever.

[quote name='Survivalism']PS - If you think Cena/Punk wasn't better than Taker/HHH, you're mad.[/QUOTE]

Said that the other night and someone lol'd me. Though, I am flip-flopping between the two. Both are extraordinary matches from this year.

@JohnCena
John Cena
I have just been 'future endeavored'. Well..if that's how it is I would like to take a moment to publicly apologize to Dwayne 'the Rock' ...

Here's all of Cena's tweets

@johncena

I have just been 'future endeavored'. Well..if that's how it is I would like to take a moment to publicly apologize to Dwayne 'the Rock' Johnson. In an effort to make WM28 as big as possible I tried to expose rock for his flaws. Very childish and immature on my behalf. My comments about the rocks absence were both unprofessional and childish. I am sorry. Rock, I truly wish and still hope in my heart of Hearts that the crazy old man who is the boss reconsiders his totally rash decision. Because chicago was insane last night And it made me think.of what Miami could have been. I guess sometimes u do not know what u have until it is lost.

CeNation. I very rarely ask u for anything but I am down to my last chance. If u could tweet WWE to let them know not to fire me. I would be indebted to u all. Im not saying its gonna work but sometimes they can not ignore the universe

:)rofl:)

You know, if they'd just go the tiniest extra mile to further this storyline by issuing a fake news release on wwe.com and removing Cena's profile from the page, it'd be awesome.

I can't wait for Raw and the Raw chat tonight. So excited for Raw for the first time in a long, long time! (the last time I can remember is when Bret was returning)

WWE Money in the Bank will be released on DVD and Blu-Ray August 16th. The Blu-Ray version will be exclusive to Best Buy, as many other WWE PPV's in the past are.

[quote name='Regian']Said that the other night and someone lol'd me. Though, I am flip-flopping between the two. Both are extraordinary matches from this year.[/QUOTE]
Taker/HHH is one of the most overrated matches I've ever seen. The story was great, but the action was awful. The last 10 minutes or so of the match was just spot, rest, spot, rest, spot, rest. I can easily find 20 matches this year better than that one.

[quote name='Scorch']WWE Money in the Bank will be released on DVD and Blu-Ray August 16th. The Blu-Ray version will be exclusive to Best Buy, as many other WWE PPV's in the past are.[/QUOTE]
Where did you see this? Last I hear, they cancelled the blu ray.

[quote name='GodOfUncharted']Taker/HHH is one of the most overrated matches I've ever seen. The story was great, but the action was awful. The last 10 minutes or so of the match was just spot, rest, spot, rest, spot, rest. I can easily find 20 matches this year better than that one.[/QUOTE]

C'mon, everyone knows that matches outside of WWE don't count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back