The Four - Same Sex Marriage 2012

JJSP

CAGiversary!
Feedback
62 (100%)
Since everyone is preoccupied with the Presidential race, there's another big one on the ballot in four states.

Minnesota, Maine, Maryland, and Washington will vote tomorrow whether or not to legalize same-sex marriage. If you're in one of those states, I ask you to consider both sides before making an educated and well-informed decision. For more info, visit The Four.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

It seems like all but Minnesota are for same sex marriage, but it's too close to tell so far in Minnesota. Great news for those in favor of marriage equality.

Four for four, including a win in Maryland for the first time in 30+ times. Equality for everyone!

Some of the best news out of the election. And more proof tha liberal/progressive causes always win out in the long run.

I voted against this in MD, along with the idea that illegals should receive in-state tuition. Also way too many of the questions on the ticket had piggyback legislation attached to them and couldn't be taken at face value IMO.

Case in point: The wording on the ticket called for gay civil unions completely separate from religious services or religious obligation, and immediately afterwards the media and everyone else is calling this "marriage." It's pretty sad I think to trick the electorate with moderate wording to bully-on through a non-moderate agenda...

Question 6
Referendum Petition

Civil Marriage Protection Act (Ch. 2 of the 2012 Legislative Session)

Establishes that Maryland’s civil marriage laws allow gay and lesbian couples to obtain a civil marriage license, provided they are not otherwise prohibited from marrying; protects clergy from having to perform any particular marriage ceremony in violation of their religious beliefs; affirms that each religious faith has exclusive control over its own theological doctrine regarding who may marry within that faith; and provides that religious organizations and certain related entities are not required to provide goods, services, or benefits to an individual related to the celebration or promotion of marriage in violation of their religious beliefs.

No where in that referendum do the words "civil union" appear. There was no "bullying-on through" of anything. You simply didn't read what you voted on closely enough. Maryland legalized marriage for gay and lesbian couples. Simple as that. What was once "non-moderate" is quickly becoming "moderate" as evidenced by these four ballot initiatives (and polls showing most of the country now supports gay marriage).

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']I voted against this in MD, along with the idea that illegals should receive in-state tuition. Also way too many of the questions on the ticket had piggyback legislation attached to them and couldn't be taken at face value IMO.

Case in point: The wording on the ticket called for gay civil unions completely separate from religious services or religious obligation, and immediately afterwards the media and everyone else is calling this "marriage." It's pretty sad I think to trick the electorate with moderate wording to bully-on through a non-moderate agenda...[/QUOTE]
LOLZ...it's almost as if the term "marriage" has significance outside the religious sphere that confers special benefits from the government! Who knew!

Sounds more like you don't know as much about the subject as you think you do.

Can someone explain to me how something like this gets on the ballot? I honestly don't have any idea... I'm assuming it starts with a petition and then needs approval from some sort of a committee?

I am all for gay marriage (I didn't vote this year) but in Maine it has been on the ballot at least the past two years and was voted down the past two years prior to getting approved this year. Had the movement lost the vote this year could they have turned around and been added to the ballot again next year?

Hypothetically if the support and financial backing was there could something be put on a ballot each and every year despite continuously being shot down?

And once something like gay marriage passes is it carved in stone?

[quote name='GBAstar']Can someone explain to me how something like this gets on the ballot? I honestly don't have any idea... I'm assuming it starts with a petition and then needs approval from some sort of a committee?

I am all for gay marriage (I didn't vote this year) but in Maine it has been on the ballot at least the past two years and was voted down the past two years prior to getting approved this year. Had the movement lost the vote this year could they have turned around and been added to the ballot again next year?

Hypothetically if the support and financial backing was there could something be put on a ballot each and every year despite continuously being shot down?[/QUOTE]
Yes.

And once something like gay marriage passes is it carved in stone?
No. There'll always be regressive fucks that'll try and overturn it.

If the "conservative" Supreme Court wouldn't shoot down the Affordable Care Act, they are absolutely going to side with gay marriage when they get a hold of one of the DOMA cases in the various federal circuits now. 6-3 for gay marriage nationwide and Scalia is going write the most crybaby dissent in the history of this country.

bread's done
Back