The game 'Skate' from EA is doing what THPS should have done in the first place...

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Yes, those 7 seconds of blurry gameplay total OWNED the Tony Hawk series! SKATE FTW![/QUOTE]
You beat me to it.

But nobody has beat me to "REPOST!".

And your sig is about three miles too long.

It may appeal to real skaters more, but there's a lot of people that play THPS that don't skate (me included) and the tricks you can do in this may just be underwhelming after playing THPS.

The only thing I could tell from that clip is that the camera angle sucks.

Still, as a fan of the Tony Hawk series I'm intrigued...however, I'm expecting more flash than substance with ea involved.

[quote name='toper']The only thing I could tell from that clip is that the camera angle sucks.

Still, as a fan of the Tony Hawk series I'm intrigued...however, I'm expecting more flash than substance with ea involved.[/QUOTE]

The camera angle is actually very nice for real skaters. It's something they are very familiar with since it's a popular angle used in almost every skate video ever produced.

I'm not saying THPS is bad, but just that it started off as a series that appealed to both gamers and skaters, then basically went off on its own and was dominated by the gaming crowd more than actual skaters (though THP8 looks to soewhat fix that).

I say for gamers: stick with THPS.

For actual skaters or former skaters: go with Skate.

My interest in this game was piqued last night after reading the Game Informer preview, and that video definitely caught my attention. I've been playing THPS since numero uno, but if Skate delivers, I'd gladly clear some shelf space. Don't fuck this up, EA.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']The camera angle is actually very nice for real skaters. It's something they are very familiar with since it's a popular angle used in almost every skate video ever produced.

I'm not saying THPS is bad, but just that it started off as a series that appealed to both gamers and skaters, then basically went off on its own and was dominated by the gaming crowd more than actual skaters (though THP8 looks to soewhat fix that).

I say for gamers: stick with THPS.

For actual skaters or former skaters: go with Skate.[/QUOTE]

I still think the camera angle sucks. :)

I mean, football fans are very familiar with the "side view" camera angle of a football telecast, but that doesn't translate as well to a videogame as the "behind the offense" view.

Don't get me wrong, if ea can pull this off then I'll be there to buy it on release week (at Fry's, of course). But let's wait for the game to come out first before we start segregating the skaters from the non-skaters!

Anyways, I'm all for realism in games, but not at the expense of fun. I know it's possible to have both (see the winning eleven and high heat series), but again it's ea we're talking about here, so I'm tempering my expectations.

[quote name='toper']I still think the camera angle sucks. :)

I mean, football fans are very familiar with the "side view" camera angle of a football telecast, but that doesn't translate as well to a videogame as the "behind the offense" view.

Don't get me wrong, if ea can pull this off then I'll be there to buy it on release week (at Fry's, of course). But let's wait for the game to come out first before we start segregating the skaters from the non-skaters!

Anyways, I'm all for realism in games, but not at the expense of fun. I know it's possible to have both (see the winning eleven and high heat series), but again it's ea we're talking about here, so I'm tempering my expectations.[/QUOTE]

yeah, but the angle is more on a personal level than watching a game... comparing skateboard watching to football watchign is like apples to oranges (or whatever those proffessors say).

If you skate, then everything so far with the game seems rigth on. If you don't, then it won't be something that will hit at home.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']
finally a skating game actual skaters can appreciate fully.[/QUOTE]
Sorry, Thrasher on the PS1 already accomplished this. Plus it had one of the best game soundtracks ever.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']yeah, but the angle is more on a personal level than watching a game... comparing skateboard watching to football watchign is like apples to oranges (or whatever those proffessors say).

If you skate, then everything so far with the game seems rigth on. If you don't, then it won't be something that will hit at home.[/QUOTE]

I disagree, but whatever...it seems like you got more out of that 15-seconds-of-gameplay clip than I did.

[quote name='zewone']Sorry, Thrasher on the PS1 already accomplished this. Plus it had one of the best game soundtracks ever.[/QUOTE]

agreed, but this is the closest new skating game series to come around for a while that focuses on real skating.

Man, that looks shitty.

ownedpo1.jpg

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']If you skate, then everything so far with the game seems rigth on.[/QUOTE]

Thing is, we know next to nothing about this game. Let EA feed us some more info before you start going haywire over it. :)

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']If you skate, then everything so far with the game seems rigth on.[/QUOTE]

Yep, the first 15 seconds so far seems ok. Only about, what, 9 hours, 59 minutes, 45 seconds to go?

Know what really made it good? That shill for EA saying "man...this is great."

[quote name='sonicfreak5']im just glad theres another option besides tony hawk.[/QUOTE]

P8 is a great game and a step in the right direction! If Skate does deliver, hopefully we'll see more innovation in the TH series as a redult. I just don't want EA charging for all the "extras".

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']... and that is realism:[/quote]

Yeah, finally. I love it when you're at the skatepark and someone tricks over a gap and the whole world freezes and changes colors then says "OWNED!" Pretty realistic right there, yep.

[quote name='sonicfreak5']im just glad theres another option besides tony hawk.[/quote]ACTIVISION'S MONOPLY IS OVER! Down with those nazi's, stealing the exclusive rights to skating games!

Why do most of you people even care about this game, aren't you still boycotting EA?

I don't understand.

30 seconds of video with a little kickflip and one grind is enough to convince people this is suddenly the messiah of VG skating?

No its enough to convince us they are going realistic. NO more 6 ft ollies...I'll get this game if its good. I used to skate but now i surf and wakeboard so i appreiate realism in these kinds of games. Don't get me wrong i had fun with TH but more realism seems like more fun to me

This thread is the equivalent of someone saying "The game Gears of War is doing what Halo should have done in the first place..."

Theres room for both arcadish and realistic games in the genre i'm sure. It works for FPSs, Racing, Golf, Fighting, and countless other genres.

[quote name='Strell']I don't understand.

30 seconds of video with a little kickflip and one grind is enough to convince people this is suddenly the messiah of VG skating?[/QUOTE]
No it's enough to convince 2 or 3 gullible people

[quote name='Strell']I don't understand.

30 seconds of video with a little kickflip and one grind is enough to convince people this is suddenly the messiah of VG skating?[/quote]People are sick of the stale Tony Hawk franchise. After playing the same basic game for almost 10 years, people want an alternative. Shoot, when EA's NFL deal finally comes to an end, people will be going crazy over 30 second gameplay clips of whatever alternative is coming out.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Shoot, when EA's NFL deal finally comes to an end, people will be going crazy over 30 second gameplay clips of whatever alternative is coming out.[/quote]I know I'll go nuts over new NFL 2K footage.

Realistic or not, it better not play like shit.

[quote name='starmask2k3']now ea needs to make a wrestling game[/QUOTE]

Oh god lets hope they not.

Okay, maybe letting AKI make it while they slap their name on the box (and ass rape us with microtransactions), but if if any of the internal EA studios develop, it will be shit.

[quote name='Z-Saber']I know I'll go nuts over new NFL 2K footage.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. Only thing that could keep me interested in Professional Football is 2k games.

Tony Hawk Project 8 is guaranteed to destroy this game. Do you honestly think doing grinds and kickflips is going to be better than 1020 backside+aerial kickflip+backflip method+Sacktap+Nose Manual+Nosegrind+5 slowmotion heelflips+720 varial EA teabagger?

[quote name='kamala619']Tony Hawk Project 8 is guaranteed to destroy this game. Do you honestly think doing grinds and kickflips is going to be better than 1020 backside+aerial kickflip+backflip method+Sacktap+Nose Manual+Nosegrind+5 slowmotion heelflips+720 varial EA teabagger?[/quote]I'd say yes. I stopped playing Tony Hawk after trying 3 and 4 out. 1 and 2 were golden. 2 is still my favorite alternative sports title. With 3 and 4 though, everything just got ludicrously complicated. Too many things you could do. It was simple and fun before though.

[quote name='Z-Saber']I'd say yes. I stopped playing Tony Hawk after trying 3 and 4 out. 1 and 2 were golden. 2 is still my favorite alternative sports title. With 3 and 4 though, everything just got ludicrously complicated. Too many things you could do. It was simple and fun before though.[/quote]

1, 3, and 5 (THUG) are the best. It was like the odd titles are the best until Wasteland apparently sucked (Didn't even bother with it)

[quote name='GrimNecroWizard']1, 3, and 5 (THUG) are the best. It was like the odd titles are the best until Wasteland apparently sucked (Didn't even bother with it)[/QUOTE]

I think everybody has their own opinions on which games are the best. IMO, 1, 2, 3, and 4 were head and shoulders above THUG 1 and 2 and THAW.

1492.jpg

Anyone remember Street Sk8er 2 (published by EA way back in 2000)?

It was a really nice skating game.... (the first sucked ass though).

i'm sooo stoked on this game, it seems like something i can appreciate more than tony hawk. THP8 should have stayed with normal city type levels with not too much ridiculous stuff.

i think the thing that gives this game a load of potential is the fact that EA games, or sports, whichever one is developing it, is a good, well known game developer. of course that's my opinion, but i'd rather have EA do a game, than some unknown developer.

I am pretty pumped for this game. I read about it a little while ago in game informer i believe. Also, does anyone have the list of skaters in the game?? All that i know is Danny Way, Colin McKay, and Rob Drydek.

chris haslam will be in it.. along with like p-rod i think. cause in the beginning of the vid they had every skater who was in the game to sign boards, and p-rod was up there.

[quote name='xxxafibenderxxx']chris haslam will be in it.. along with like p-rod i think. cause in the beginning of the vid they had every skater who was in the game to sign boards, and p-rod was up there.[/QUOTE]

P-Rod is in Tony Hawk though...

I'm glad to see others play Tony Hawk as realistically as you can. I like to try and replicate real skate lines and actual tricks that real skaters can pull off. I only time I play the crazy Tony Hawk combo way is whenever the game needs me to.

I also enjoyed the camera angle alot, it actually did look alot like a skate video. However, like others have said, it wouldn't make sense at all for a game.

Seeing this video actually made me very excited about it. Granted, it's about 10 seconds of actual gameplay footage, but it's enough to wet my appetite. When I first heard that EA was making a skate game, I thought to myself "really?" Tony Hawk seems like THE skateboarding franchise. But, maybe when more movies, screens, and details come out, EA can surprise us. Then nickel and dime us to purchase new decks on the XBL marketplace and tell us that they're giving us the "option to customize our experience." fuckers.

Here is a list that I found that mostly got the skaters from the wall of decks on "Rob and Big."

Danny Way
Colin McKay
PJ Ladd
Chris Haslam
Chris Cole
P-Rod
Ryan Gallant
Rob Dyrdek

[quote name='infamyRISE']This thread is the equivalent of someone saying "The game Gears of War is doing what Halo should have done in the first place..."

Theres room for both arcadish and realistic games in the genre i'm sure. It works for FPSs, Racing, Golf, Fighting, and countless other genres.[/quote]

I would go so far as to use that quote on Gears of War actually:D

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']I think everybody has their own opinions on which games are the best. IMO, 1, 2, 3, and 4 were head and shoulders above THUG 1 and 2 and THAW.[/quote]

1,2, & 3 were the best. 4 wasn't bad, but that was when the series started its downward slope. Underground 2 was awful, and if you could take everything out of American Wasteland other than the skating, then it was a pretty decent game.

bread's done
Back