The GamesCon Discussion Thread -- Were the Rumors True, and Other Surprises from Sony

PS3 Prices on Craigslist and Ebay have had huge Drops in the last 5 hours

SERIOUSLY considering an 80GB MGS4 Bundle, that has BC. for $300

[quote name='dan7532']I was given a 40gb ps3 as a gift. My favorite games are the Gran Turismo series. There is no Gran Turismo available for ps3. I'm not about to purchase another console just to play a GT game. I want BC so I can play GT4 to tide me over until GT5 is out. I'm not "getting over" BC.[/QUOTE]

trade in your 40gb somewhere or sell it to someone and then go buy a bc system. or just buy a ps2 slim.

[quote name='dan7532']I was given a 40gb ps3 as a gift. My favorite games are the Gran Turismo series. There is no Gran Turismo available for ps3. I'm not about to purchase another console just to play a GT game. I want BC so I can play GT4 to tide me over until GT5 is out. I'm not "getting over" BC.[/QUOTE]

Wait, wait, wait, I'm confused. So does GT5 Prolgue not count? It's $30 and the system will be the same as GT5, so why go backwards?

[quote name='orntar']what can you do with linux on the ps3 anyway? is it just a gimmick?[/QUOTE]
Well, aside from the fact that Sony touted it as a major feature (something about how they're open to letting you customize your console, yadda yadda), you could install Linux and then get better web browsing, much better video codec support, and do things like play emulators.

I would like to have had the Linux Option, but Guess what I can always Install Linux on my old PC, and It will work 100x times better than on a PS3.

I have Windows 7 and my laptop now on a Core 2 Duo T9500 and its blazzing fast.

So the Linux thing forget that.

I just want 100% confirmation the SLIM PS3 still does DVD upscalling to 1080p?!?!?!

Another shot for the hard drive swappers from Engadget

original.jpg

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Wow IATCG, Sony has really pissed you off lately huh? You've been going on a PS3 hating rampage, there is no problem with this - just odd that you decided it is time.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I have disliked every update Sony has come out with so far. There has been ZERO functionality that I get ANY real use out of. Now, BC on the other hand, I would use the shit out of. But not if it's $100 to download. Anymore than $10 or free and I'd tell them to stick it.

[quote name='Paco']I wish I had your blatant disregard for progress.[/QUOTE]

Progress? If by progress you mean blatantly copying alot of the same stuff MS has had standard for a while on XBL, then what's the use of playing catch up? As for the slim itself, I predict massive amounts of them overheating due to the smaller size and a total meltdown for Sony and possibly even them leaving the hardware market(ala Sega).

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually, I have disliked every update Sony has come out with so far. There has been ZERO functionality that I get ANY real use out of. Now, BC on the other hand, I would use the shit out of. But not if it's $100 to download. Anymore than $10 or free and I'd tell them to stick it.

Progress? If by progress you mean blatantly copying alot of the same stuff MS has had standard for a while on XBL, then what's the use of playing catch up? As for the slim itself, I predict massive amounts of them overheating due to the smaller size and a total meltdown for Sony and possibly even them leaving the hardware market(ala Sega).[/QUOTE]

Every time I read a post from you, I am full aware that I am about to be hit by a flash bang grenade of concentrated stupid. You sir have not let me down in the slightest.

Most of the options blatantly copying the 360? I guess making your own themes was copied from the 360. Or having far better codec support was also copied from the 360? Or the ability to upgrade your own hard drive with industry standards was also copied? Super CD Support? Industry standard power supplies instead of the 100 dollar bricks that microsoft sells? Hmmm.......

And I doubt they would overheat. Did you not see how much freaking airvents there is in the back? Or the fact that they shrunk the GPU and CPU immensely from the original 80 nm cuts? Or the fact that the power supply went from almost 400 watts to 250 watts? If it was still using the same components of the launch PS3, I would agree with you, but with how much power saving and shrinking they have done, I severely doubt it.

If anyone would leave the gaming industry it would be microsoft. Nearly ten billion in lost revenue and shareholders who still haven't gotten their money back from the first Xbox and most of the 360 generation. You honestly believe Microsoft made any profit from the 360 after they made that cost so bottom of the barrel, the fact that so many require repair after a set amount of time and shipping costs?

Care to frag me with another of your magnificent posts? Perhaps you're going to complain again about the damn firmware updates?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Progress? If by progress you mean blatantly copying alot of the same stuff MS has had standard for a while on XBL, then what's the use of playing catch up? As for the slim itself, I predict massive amounts of them overheating due to the smaller size and a total meltdown for Sony and possibly even them leaving the hardware market(ala Sega).[/QUOTE]

Shouldn't be a problem. With the right heat sync and airflow, 45-65nm chips are highly efficient, and run relatively cool. I assume that the slim is using 45nm chips, but even if it is running on 65nm, over-heating isn't a problem. Sony may screw up from time to time, but hardware design isn't usually one of those times.

They also mention something about a 250gb model in the article about Sony shipping the PS3 Slims under the name Sand Dollar Enterprise Inc.

[quote name='Paco']Every time I read a post from you, I am full aware that I am about to be hit by a flash bang grenade of concentrated stupid. You sir have not let me down in the slightest.

Care to frag me with another of your magnificent posts? Perhaps you're going to complain again about the damn firmware updates?[/QUOTE]

You sum up my thoughts on his posts very nicely.

INCOMING FLASH BANG OF CONCENTRATED STUPID! *POP*

Seriously though, for how much he dislikes the PS3, I'm surprised he hasn't sold it yet as the amount of acrimony he feels towards it must absolutely dwarf any kind of enjoyment he gets from actually playing the dang thing.

[quote name='Ecofreak']You sum up my thoughts on his posts very nicely.

Seriously though, for how much he dislikes the PS3, I'm surprised he hasn't sold it yet as the amount of acrimony he feels towards it must absolutely dwarf any kind of enjoyment he gets from actually playing the dang thing.[/QUOTE]

It's like one of those secretly gay people. They bash gay people outlandishly in public, yet when they get home they have that sweet sweet love away from public scrutiny. I suspect that's what he does with his PS3.

Hmm, maybe IATCG really does love the PS3. It's just that he is running on 56k, so everytime there is a new firmware update it takes him 1-2 weeks to DL. I'd be pretty pissed off as well.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Hmm, maybe IATCG really does love the PS3. It's just that he is running on 56k, so everytime there is a new firmware update it takes him 1-2 weeks to DL. I'd be pretty pissed off as well.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like him. He loves the cheapness and 56k is only like 5-10 dollars now so it wouldn't surprise me. I can do a PS3 firmware update in 2-3 minutes.

[quote name='Cao Cao']I know that LocoRoco Midnight Carnival was mentioned in Famitsu, but Eye of Judgment PSP?[/QUOTE]

I've been looking everywhere for info on EoJ on the PSP. Is it really coming out for the PSP? All those PSP sizzle reels I've seen don't have anything about Judgement. Please, tell me it's true!

[quote name='Ecofreak']You sum up my thoughts on his posts very nicely.

Seriously though, for how much he dislikes the PS3, I'm surprised he hasn't sold it yet as the amount of acrimony he feels towards it must absolutely dwarf any kind of enjoyment he gets from actually playing the dang thing.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I enjoy the games on it immensely, but I don't enjoy the freezing and other issues that do happen with it, as well as the largely useless firmware updates. Making them optional would definitely satiate part of my 'anger' towards Sony and the PS3. At least if they had a screen pop up and tell you what the FW update is for before being forced to download it and then giving you the option to NOT download it until later, since I usually only turn my PS3 on to check who's on from my friends list or to get on and PLAY a game.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Hmm, maybe IATCG really does love the PS3. It's just that he is running on 56k, so everytime there is a new firmware update it takes him 1-2 weeks to DL. I'd be pretty pissed off as well.[/QUOTE]

Actually no, I AM on high speed, albeit the lowest available speed(768kbps DSL), since for what I use it for it serves it's purpose. As for loving or not loving the PS3, while I only had my normal DSL modem I was doing quite alot with the PS3, so I am grateful there's a web browser on it though that definitely needs some work, since I experienced a bunch of freezing when trying to view stuff that needed Javascript.

I have used most of the functions on my PS3(wifi, internet browser, pictures), but the one thing I have not and will not use it for is playing movies. Don't misconstrue that as me saying 'the PS3 should ONLY play games', since that is not what I said. I said that I personally have never and will never use it for movies, but for those who do, good for you.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
I have used most of the functions on my PS3(wifi, internet browser, pictures), but the one thing I have not and will not use it for is playing movies. Don't misconstrue that as me saying 'the PS3 should ONLY play games', since that is not what I said. I said that I personally have never and will never use it for movies, but for those who do, good for you.[/QUOTE]

Do you mind if I ask why you won't use it for movies? I think next to the games, the movie playback is the best feature on the PS3, with really nice upconversion of DVDs and the obvious playback of blu-rays. Using it for movie playback also means you have one less thing to put in your entertainment center.

[quote name='viernes3am5']Do you mind if I ask why you won't use it for movies? I think next to the games, the movie playback is the best feature on the PS3, with really nice upconversion of DVDs and the obvious playback of blu-rays. Using it for movie playback also means you have one less thing to put in your entertainment center.[/QUOTE]

Because I don't have an HDtv(and don't want one till they're cheap for a 20" or so), have a DVD player already and I have my PS3 in a different room than my DVD player, which is on another tv.

As for the movie playback being the best feature on the PS3, if you got it for watching movies that's your prerogative, but I got mine to play games on and that's just about all I do on it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually, I enjoy the games on it immensely, but I don't enjoy the freezing and other issues that do happen with it, as well as the largely useless firmware updates. Making them optional would definitely satiate part of my 'anger' towards Sony and the PS3. At least if they had a screen pop up and tell you what the FW update is for before being forced to download it and then giving you the option to NOT download it until later, since I usually only turn my PS3 on to check who's on from my friends list or to get on and PLAY a game.

Actually no, I AM on high speed, albeit the lowest available speed(768kbps DSL), since for what I use it for it serves it's purpose. As for loving or not loving the PS3, while I only had my normal DSL modem I was doing quite alot with the PS3, so I am grateful there's a web browser on it though that definitely needs some work, since I experienced a bunch of freezing when trying to view stuff that needed Javascript.

I have used most of the functions on my PS3(wifi, internet browser, pictures), but the one thing I have not and will not use it for is playing movies. Don't misconstrue that as me saying 'the PS3 should ONLY play games', since that is not what I said. I said that I personally have never and will never use it for movies, but for those who do, good for you.[/QUOTE]

The Freezing is because the company that made those games is shit. You know them as BACKBONE.

And no wonder you hate firmware updates. Your internet is fucking slow. If I was on that, I'd hate the damn things too. Luckily I'm not on anything that slow so firmware updates take minutes and add features that I do want like more codec support. Yes I use my PS3 to watch movies and have about 500 or so on a 1 TB hard drive. It's pretty damn comfortable to sit on my ass and have a huge selection of movies at my disposal without having to change anything.

[quote name='Paco']The Freezing is because the company that made those games is shit. You know them as BACKBONE.

And no wonder you hate firmware updates. Your internet is fucking slow. If I was on that, I'd hate the damn things too. Luckily I'm not on anything that slow so firmware updates take minutes and add features that I do want like more codec support. Yes I use my PS3 to watch movies and have about 500 or so on a 1 TB hard drive. It's pretty damn comfortable to sit on my ass and have a huge selection of movies at my disposal without having to change anything.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I just hate the updates in general, since they don't add shit that I'll use to my PS3. If Sony ever gets smart and actually gives us the ability to reject updates and NOT have to download them, THEN I'll be happy.

As for the companies making 'shit' games, I guess Little Big Planet was made by a bunch of hacks, huh? I can understand GTAIV being shit, since it seems like Rockstar has abandoned the PS3 version completely. But I've had the freezing and other issues on other games besides those two as well, so it's the SYSTEM and not the games if you ask me.

As for watching movies, the few movies I have on disc I prefer to watch on my DVD player, since there's nothing I want to try and 'stream' from anywhere.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Because I don't have an HDtv(and don't want one till they're cheap for a 20" or so), have a DVD player already and I have my PS3 in a different room than my DVD player, which is on another tv.

As for the movie playback being the best feature on the PS3, if you got it for watching movies that's your prerogative, but I got mine to play games on and that's just about all I do on it.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree with you that the PS3 is foremost a gaming machine. That's why I bought mine and have more than 50 games for it. I also never said that movie playback was the best feature, I said besides playing games the PS3's best feature is playing movies, whether they be disc based or digital files. I feel it's a really nice feature and you should at least give it a try and explore all the movie file types it can play even if yours is not connected to an HDTV.

Thank you viernes3am5. Thank you for having the decency to have an intelligent conversation with me, even though we may differ on our opinions of the console.

You're one of the first to do so. As for trying the movie thing out, I may eventually, since I never thought I would use the web browser or WiFi as much as I have and I got extensive use out of both for quite a while.

The PS3 is definitely a multimedia machine in Sony's mind.. they gambled it's future on it while using it to push the BD format and while they won over in the end, they lost a ridiculous amount of support from it's previous demographic, videogame players. You only set yourself up for disappointment if you felt like it was only going to be for videogames if that was your mindset when you purchased.

I think we all, as gamers, wish they would have taken a different approach, but it's far too late in the game to bitch about things. It is what it is. Sure it was priced far out of the realm of what traditional consoles retailed for, but it was never a bad value for the money given the advance in technology it took. It was always in line with the price of standalone blu-ray players. It had a ton of packed in features out of the box other consoles didn't. And if you were deal savvy, you could have had a 60gb BC version of the console at least as far back as mid 2007 for $350 or less like I did. (I still feel like there were better deals).

I wanna call you out on being the cheapest gamer because you're not wringing every ounce of usefulness out of the console like a true cheap son of a bitch would and of course you're bitter and resentful because you paid a damn lot of money to use limited features of a powerful device. I mean hell, you can browse the internet, use folding@home, stream music, movies and pictures to it, communicate with friends, stream media and games to a PSP with it, download and rent movies, install Linux, upscale DVDs and play the most cutting edge media available (BD), and I'm sure there's still things I haven't even discovered yet. Oh yeah, you can download and play video games on it too.

I will again grant you that the PS3 should have been a videogame console, but the definition of video game console simply evolved this generation and Sony put priorities on other capabilities before software. It's like you bought a ticket to Disney World for the sole reason that you like one of the attractions in the park and everything else involved in the process gets in your way and stops you from enjoying it. You kind of either need to branch out and discover what else it has to offer, or suck up the fact that you paid a premium to access want you want and that sometimes means you need to wait along the way because the world DOES NOT revolve around you and your needs.

I, for one, love my PS3 for the games, the functionality, the price I paid for it, and it's potential. I look forward to firmware updates because it usually means my experience will improve. If you're going to be too cheap to take advantage of it's full power by not using a HD tv or fast internet connection and you're not going to explore all the features then you need to stop bitching and step back to whatever era you feel more comfortable in.

Don't get me wrong, I respect you as a member of the board and you take most of the heckling in good stride, but I just do not agree with your stance whatsoever.

bread's done
Back