The gamestop.ca new PSP NGP pre-order is up

Princess Zelda

CAGiversary!
Good news it's par with the US gamestop price $999.99 :applause:
020163brp1.jpg

http://www.gamestop.ca/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=308562

LMAO! Sure, sure I will go out right now and pre-order this for $999.99.

Maybe it would have been better for them to get an idea of a price before putting it up for $999.99.

Sony is going to be selling these at a loss... I'm guessing $299 to stay competitive with the 3DS. I think battery life will be a big issue though.

I was just in EB games (picking up Blur) and asked about pre-ordering. They said they couldn't yet.

However, they did say that they found some unadvertised %50 Powertrades! I can't remember all of them but Bulletstorm, Killzone 3, Test Drive 2, Mario Sports Mix were a few that come to mind. Just letting people know in advance. I'm sure that it'll come out in the February promos.
Also, please DO NOT post this info on RFD. It'll get there eventually but not from me.

gonna sell my psp go while its still worth a lot and use that money + amazon creds to get the NGP this december.

i just bought the psp go a month ago and the clerk told me that it was returned the day after the original owner purchased it.

its literally in excellent condition and i have a rubber case + a screen protector.

i have 6 games on it but ive only played one of them, so i kind of regret having a huge digital backlog, but when the NGP comes, ill have 6 PSP games to play + a couple NGP games :D

It's pathetic how aggressively they target pre-orders nowadays. Probably could pre-order a PS4 if you were so inclined.

Anyway, for those who think that Sony's going to price this thing at the same level as 3DS... No. Sony will give it the usual premium price tag. A similar price would suggest similar performance and Sony will want to quickly reiterate that this system is far superior technically than the 3DS.

[quote name='retro.elite']Sony said battery life will be comparable to psp 3000. so about 4-6 hrs .[/QUOTE]
PSP lasts longer than that, doesn't it? I'm not sure cause I use the extended battery. Gives around 10 hrs.

I'm guessing $349 and $399, but if one of the SKU's comes out at $299 I'll buy it day one. That thing is beautiful.

I can only shudder when I wonder how much the 3G version will be.... it'll probably only be available with a 3 year contract to Rogers/Bell/Telus... in other words, $2000.00 over 3 years....

Honestly though, I would pre-order it right now, even at that placeholder price... the only thing stopping me is that I wouldn't buy a console from Gamestop.

I don't know how much the NGP is going to be, but I'm sure it'll be less than $999.99, and I think I've already decided to buy it...... sad I know...... so can't wait for the pre-orders to open up at FS/BB/WM....

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']PSP lasts longer than that, doesn't it? I'm not sure cause I use the extended battery. Gives around 10 hrs.[/QUOTE]

I'd say mine is lucky to get 4 hours...

I wonder if I'd be able to slam my Bell simcard into this thing and just use 3G that way? At any rate, the new PSP looks pretty bomb, I need to clear out my backlog ASAP so I have a reason to buy it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep in mind that these are the people that priced the PSPgo at $250 (and still havn't dropped it under $200). I would be checking the spin of my little dream top if they price the new system anywhere under $400. :)

[quote name='MrGone']Keep in mind that these are the people that priced the PSPgo at $250 (and still havn't dropped it under $200). I would be checking the spin of my little dream top if they price the new system anywhere under $400. :)[/QUOTE]

Once again, Nolan gets shut out of the Best Director nominations. Ridiculous.

Oh sorry, off topic...

Sony has stated they'll be pricing it competitively for the handheld market. If they want a snowball's chance in H E double hockey sticks of competing with Nintendo, they're going to have to take a hit and keep the price low.

I'm expecting the non-3G model to run close to the 3DS launch price ($300 at most), and the 3G model to be priced closer to $500. The PSP Phone (whatever the hell it's called) will run close to standard smartphone prices (so like 7-800), and the Go will get a price drop, since it's basically worthless now.

Wait......now? It was always worthless lol

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Derfel']Once again, Nolan gets shut out of the Best Director nominations. Ridiculous.

Oh sorry, off topic...[/QUOTE]

I don't quite follow it, either. A ton of notable snubbing this year! If the categories are too small to give everyone their due, expand the categories! They already did that with best picture a few years ago. Aarhghglblblbl

(still of topic)....yeah this is why I don't give a crap about award shows. It's just a big Hollywood stroke.

(back on topic) I hear you Mr. Gone. Sony has been screwing up a lot lately, but I do love this device. I'm not so crazy on the 3DS simple because once my brain notices how the 3D is being faked I can't go back....that and the rehash software library from the big N is getting tiring for me. Who knows though by this time next year they may change my mind.

[quote name='djsaiyan']Sony has stated they'll be pricing it competitively for the handheld market.[/QUOTE]
What I read is they said the price will "make sense" not that it will necessarily be competitive. $500 could make sense, based on the tech inside that thing.

Sony always seems to shoot itself in the foot with their pricing (i.e. PS3 Phat, PSP Go), so hopefully they'll learn something from this.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']What I read is they said the price will "make sense" not that it will necessarily be competitive. $500 could make sense, based on the tech inside that thing.[/QUOTE]

It's not like they've never before advised people to get a second job in order to be able to afford their products. :)

Remember with battery lives, Nintendo's estimates are always very conservative, and Sony's are very liberal. 3.5-5 hours for the 3DS is the same that Nintendo listed for the DSi, and we know that last a lot longer if you're not playing on incredible max brightness.

[quote name='djsaiyan']Sony has stated they'll be pricing it competitively for the handheld market. If they want a snowball's chance in H E double hockey sticks of competing with Nintendo, they're going to have to take a hit and keep the price low.

I'm expecting the non-3G model to run close to the 3DS launch price ($300 at most), and the 3G model to be priced closer to $500. The PSP Phone (whatever the hell it's called) will run close to standard smartphone prices (so like 7-800), and the Go will get a price drop, since it's basically worthless now.

Wait......now? It was always worthless lol[/QUOTE]

There is no PSP Phone, just terrible video game journalism. That phone is called the Xperia Play Z1 Zeus, and happens to run Sony's PlayStation Suite subplatform. This subplatform aims to bring quality experiences to Android phones (alongside the NGP), and is compatible with Android phones with 2.3+ (PSone Classics and original games are set to be released on it later this year). The Xperia Play will just be the centre piece for the platform, as it has physical buttons. But Sony is allowing any phone manufacturer who runs Android to get their phones certified to run PlayStation Suite. They're also considering the idea of expanding the platform to iOS, and Windows.

[quote name='CaptainKishimoto']Sony always seems to shoot itself in the foot with their pricing (i.e. PS3 Phat, PSP Go), so hopefully they'll learn something from this.[/QUOTE]

PlayStation - $299
PlayStation 2 - $299
PlayStation Portable - $249
PlayStation 3 - $499

(Note: US prices since NGP will likely launch at a par price. Note 2: I did not count the Go [or PSone, PS2 Slim, and PS3 slim], as that's a revision that had an inflated price to support retailers who were not keen to the digital only stance of the device)

I see a pattern in their pricing structure that is only broken by one platform. Something tells me they'll go back to normal with this platform.

[quote name='EvilMario']Remember with battery lives, Nintendo's estimates are always very conservative, and Sony's are very liberal. 3.5-5 hours for the 3DS is the same that Nintendo listed for the DSi, and we know that last a lot longer if you're not playing on incredible max brightness.[/QUOTE]

You must be remembering a different Nintendo, they estimated the DSi would have a 9-14 hour battery life in 2008. Which, low and behold, is right.

[quote name='Dragon52']You must be remembering a different Nintendo, they estimated the DSi would have a 9-14 hour battery life in 2008. Which, low and behold, is right.[/QUOTE]

From your link
at highest brightness you’ll get a mere 3-4hrs from the DSi

About the 3DS
with the backlight set to the brightest level and the power save mode turned off, battery duration was about three hours.
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interview.html#/how-nintendo-3ds-made/1/2

Although he goes on to say that lowest brightness = 5 hours.

[quote name='Dragon52']There is no PSP Phone, just terrible video game journalism. That phone is called the Xperia Play Z1 Zeus, and happens to run Sony's PlayStation Suite subplatform. This subplatform aims to bring quality experiences to Android phones (alongside the NGP), and is compatible with Android phones with 2.3+ (PSone Classics and original games are set to be released on it later this year). The Xperia Play will just be the centre piece for the platform, as it has physical buttons. But Sony is allowing any phone manufacturer who runs Android to get their phones certified to run PlayStation Suite. They're also considering the idea of expanding the platform to iOS, and Windows.

[/QUOTE]

You know, you're kind of acting like a dick. You jumped on one liiiiiiiiiiiittle point in my post which was not entirely inaccurate and tore it to shreds by paraphrasing a few dozen different tech blogs. Herp derp derp, you can read, here's a gold star.

The Xperia Play (which I didn't bother looking up the name of because I didn't particularly care to, I am occasionally lazy) has a PSP button configuration (minus the touchpads in place of the analog nub), and has the capacity to play PSP games. Via Playstation Suite, sure, but mentioning that had absolutely nothing to do with the overall point of my post, which was about the possible cost of Sony's upcoming handheld lineup.

If you need to make yourself feel smarter than other people by jumping on points in people's posts which are not entirely inaccurate, but rather could have been phrased better, kindly do so elsewhere. We're all pretty civil here with each other, there's no need for you to roll in acting like an asshole.

Thank you.

[quote name='EvilMario']Remember with battery lives, Nintendo's estimates are always very conservative, and Sony's are very liberal. 3.5-5 hours for the 3DS is the same that Nintendo listed for the DSi, and we know that last a lot longer if you're not playing on incredible max brightness.[/QUOTE]
If that's true, I am pleased. Thinking about getting a 3DS and although I can live with 5 hrs it still sucks. I play DS Lite on the 2nd level of brightness. I have a feeling though that I'll be playing more DS games on it than 3DS games. And GBA games too if they ever offer them for download. Super Mario Advance ftw, those remakes are the definitive versions for me.

when they say competitive with the handheld market, think ipad rather than 3DS. I don't think they are looking to compete with nintendo. There is no way this thing is going to be under $400 with all that tech in it.

Also, I read that they already have a deal with a japanese carrier to provide 3G support, but i'd be surprised if they actually have 3G support in North America unless they make a deal with carriers over here. Even if they do have 3G support over here are people willing to pay for another data plan when most people already pay for one with their smart phone?

Anyway, the NGP sounds awesome and I would love to get it on day one, but considering I hardly find time to use my psp these days I'll pass for now. Very tempting though and If I have $500 laying around at the time I would probably get it.

[quote name='giantqtipz']gonna sell my psp go while its still worth a lot and use that money + amazon creds to get the NGP this december.

i just bought the psp go a month ago and the clerk told me that it was returned the day after the original owner purchased it.

its literally in excellent condition and i have a rubber case + a screen protector.

i have 6 games on it but ive only played one of them, so i kind of regret having a huge digital backlog, but when the NGP comes, ill have 6 PSP games to play + a couple NGP games :D[/QUOTE]

I also have a PSP Go in great condition I wouldn't mind hocking in preperation.

bread's done
Back