2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please refresh my memory on what the "Garden Warfare 2" incident was.
Back in July 2017, GameStop had a ridiculously good trade-in promo. Depending on how many games were traded in, the customer would receive a percentage bump to their trade-in offer - up to 70% extra credit when 6 games or more were traded in.

The thing is, GameStop's base trade-in values were unusually decent at the time, and they were not nuked prior to the promo. Some of their base trade-in values were even close to, or slightly higher than, certain titles' going rates at other retailers.

So once the 70% extra deal hit, savvy CAGs quickly realized that their revenge fantasy against GameStop was finally happening and they could exploit this deal in a huge way. Games like Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ were purchased en masse at other stores and traded in at GameStop for more than double the price paid. In fact, this whole situation may be the main reason why that Spider-Man game is so expensive/uncommon now.

When a follower on GameStop's Facebook brought this to their attention, GS gave a hand-waving "knock yourselves out" response, clearly expecting only the CAG types to exploit the deal. But things got out of control quickly, more people seized the deal than GS could have possibly imagined...

...and for the most part, their trade-in values and promos have been in the shitter ever since. (2019 has been particularly dire.)

Learn to fuck ing read. The PS4 was traded in, so there's only an Xbox and a Switch. And either could be future trade fodder.

Damn, man.
The irony. He said the "PS4 pro was just traded in". He didn't trade it in, somebody else just traded it in (i.e. he still has all three consoles).

Back in July 2017, GameStop had a ridiculously good trade-in promo. Depending on how many games were traded in, the customer would receive a percentage bump to their trade-in offer - up to 70% extra credit when 6 games or more were traded in.

The thing is, GameStop's base trade-in values were unusually decent at the time, and they were not nuked prior to the promo. Some of their base trade-in values were even close to, or slightly higher than, certain titles' going rates at other retailers.

So once the 70% extra deal hit, savvy CAGs quickly realized that their revenge fantasy against GameStop was finally happening and they could exploit this deal in a huge way. Games like Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ were purchased en masse at other stores and traded in at GameStop for more than double the price paid. In fact, this whole situation may be the main reason why that Spider-Man game is so expensive/uncommon now.

When a follower on GameStop's Facebook brought this to their attention, GS gave a hand-waving "knock yourselves out" response, clearly expecting only the CAG types to exploit the deal. But things got out of control quickly, more people seized the deal than GS could have possibly imagined...

...and for the most part, their trade-in values and promos have been in the shitter ever since. (2019 has been particularly dire.)b
In the case of Amazing Spider-Man 2 for Xbox One, I think it's more of a WWE 2K18 for Switch scenario - people with one system desperate to play a certain kind of game, no matter how terrible that game may be. Now the PS4 version...I don't know why it's still a pretty solid trader despite a far superior Spidey game being on that system.

The irony. He said the "PS4 pro was just traded in". He didn't trade it in, somebody else just traded it in (i.e. he still has all three consoles).
Correct, some guy traded it in earlier that day. I still have all 3 systems, but the X1S smells like an ashtray. Need to exchange it out at my local GS.

I don't understand the purpose of weeedoo's comment. We buy things because we believe it will have greater value to us than the price. I own all three consoles, as I'm sure many of us do

DmC 5 base tanked to $20, so $34 with the 50% extra. Today is the last day for the $30 guaranteed, so it’s better to do that if you have Elite Pro and get $35. It seems like there’s no benefit currently of the 50% extra since values dropped.

DmC 5 base tanked to $20, so $34 with the 50% extra. Today is the last day for the $30 guaranteed, so it’s better to do that if you have Elite Pro and get $35. It seems like there’s no benefit currently of the 50% extra since values dropped.
You'll get $34 with elite no matter which promo you choose for DMC 5...

Base TIV for DS4/XB1 controllers - $18 with 50% bonus - $27. I am not sure if Elite/Pro will stack with the 50% promo.

29xusyw.jpg

DMC 5 :ps4: tiv amazon $34.xx
DMC 5 :xb1: tiv amazon $23.xx

Damn was hoping to trade it for $40+ today. Oh well I'll just play it, got it in the b2g1 a couple weeks ago but still working through sekiro.

Some good news. Just traded in a few switch games. I am elite and got $37.40 for each of them. It stacks with Pro/Elite.

Easy to calculate like this:
$26.40 for elite + (22 base * .5) = $37.40

Was thinking about doing TD2 used for $40. Guess they sold out of the 2 copies within 40 miles with 35+ stores so that's gonna be a no from me.

Regardless, THIS is the week they should've done the B2G1. Would've made so much more money.

DMC is apparently a real good game, I’ll be keeping and playing mine from yesterday’s deal.

25 x 1.4 = 35 so waiting until the next bump and the MK11 or inevitable Mario Maker 20% will still beat what you’d get today.

Of course for the first time in years I go to a gamestop to get Lego DC villains for my nephews and of course I get handed a gutted copy instead of a new sealed one. I just laugh and walk out. I'll just have bestbuy price match should have just done that in the first place.

Has the 50% just become the normal bump for all on going trade deals? Like say if I traded towards Days Gone or something, would it automatically go to 50% or does that stack with the original 20%?

Dumb question time, since I can’t quite figure it out. How much would I get your Sekiro this week? Base is $20, but it’s got the guaranteed $30 for a couple more weeks. My Elite expired a bit back, and I haven’t renewed it yet.

Would it be 50% of the base $20, making it only $30, or does the $10 get added to the special value of $30, making it $40??? Or am I mathing all wrong?

Dumb question time, since I can’t quite figure it out. How much would I get your Sekiro this week? Base is $20, but it’s got the guaranteed $30 for a couple more weeks. My Elite expired a bit back, and I haven’t renewed it yet.

Would it be 50% of the base $20, making it only $30, or does the $10 get added to the special value of $30, making it $40??? Or am I mathing all wrong?
You would get $30 + 10/20% of the base with pro/elite.

In this case, you would get the same value either way:

Guaranteed $30: $20 base + $10 promo + $2/$4 Pro/Elite bonus = $32/$34

50% bonus: $20 base + $10 (half of $20) + $2/$4 Pro/Elite bonus = $32/$34

You would get $30 + 10/20% of the base with pro/elite.

In this case, you would get the same value either way:

Guaranteed $30: $20 base + $10 promo + $2/$4 Pro/Elite bonus = $32/$34

50% bonus: $20 base + $10 (half of $20) + $2/$4 Pro/Elite bonus = $32/$34
Thanks for the clarification. Not as much as I would like (not like I expected to make out all that much anyway), but it's good to see it broken down in a straight-forward manner. Appreciate the knowledge.

I know this thread is mostly about flipping to GS for credit, but I just had another experience that shows me why I do not even try to accumulate GS credit. Lego DC Super Villians is on sale for $20 new at GS whereas its at least twice at much at other stores. So I go on the site and set up an in-store pickup for it. I get the email to come get the game and its an open copy. Now, even though I was going to open it and play it with my 5 year old son tonight anyways, its the principle of it. It's not new in that condition and this is literally twice in a row they have done this to me. (the previous time was a game I bought new off their site and had it shipped to my house)

With all the things GS is bashed about, I keep experiencing most of the typical crap most of the time I shop there. And its not very often as I maybe have bought 5 things the last year from them. I am getting to the point of not caring if they close down in the future even though I know there will be some repercussions if they do that is not in favor of the gaming community. But I have been tired of their practices for a couple years now. With my Best Buy GCU expired, it sucks that I do not shop there as much as I used to and had to use GS this time.

Anyways, just had to get it off my chest and I will go enjoy the game with my son tonight. At least I didn't pay $50 for the game when it was released. I guess that is the silver lining of this situation.

I know this thread is mostly about flipping to GS for credit, but I just had another experience that shows me why I do not even try to accumulate GS credit. Lego DC Super Villians is on sale for $20 new at GS whereas its at least twice at much at other stores. So I go on the site and set up an in-store pickup for it. I get the email to come get the game and its an open copy. Now, even though I was going to open it and play it with my 5 year old son tonight anyways, its the principle of it. It's not new in that condition and this is literally twice in a row they have done this to me. (the previous time was a game I bought new off their site and had it shipped to my house)

With all the things GS is bashed about, I keep experiencing most of the typical crap most of the time I shop there. And its not very often as I maybe have bought 5 things the last year from them. I am getting to the point of not caring if they close down in the future even though I know there will be some repercussions if they do that is not in favor of the gaming community. But I have been tired of their practices for a couple years now. With my Best Buy GCU expired, it sucks that I do not shop there as much as I used to and had to use GS this time.

Anyways, just had to get it off my chest and I will go enjoy the game with my son tonight. At least I didn't pay $50 for the game when it was released. I guess that is the silver lining of this situation.
last couple games I've gotten at GS ended up being that way sadly, and yeah, I was going home to play it, but still stupid to buy something new that's already gutted

Return it and price match them to Best Buy or Target. Guaranteed new copy and not a gutted one.

Does Wii Sports and Sports Resort typically jump up a lot with the stealth bumps? I remember last week it was like $15 or something but today it's at like $4. Debating if I should trade in the couple copies I've found thrifting for the $6.80 or just hang on to them hoping for a steath bump. I only paid a dollar or two for each i think. 

Does Wii Sports and Sports Resort typically jump up a lot with the stealth bumps? I remember last week it was like $15 or something but today it's at like $4. Debating if I should trade in the couple copies I've found thrifting for the $6.80 or just hang on to them hoping for a steath bump. I only paid a dollar or two for each i think.
i would wait till this Friday. It is possible we could have a trade bump next weekend.

I've gotten a gutted "new" copy of a switch game from GameStop and the my Nintendo gold coins had been redeemed. They are so sleazy that I don't mind anytime I take advantage of high trade in values. They try to screw us at every turn so I also don't feel bad they're going under.

The whole gutted thing is so bad that I had a dream I got a gutted game but all the dlc codes and freebies were still unused and in the case.

You guys are getting the display copy and really should quit complaining about “gutted” . It’s nothing new at GameStop and no amount of complaints on CAG is going to get them to change that policy, despite what you may believe.
If it offends you so much that someone that is employed at GameStop touched the game before you simply refuse to purchase the game. You get to see it before purchasing.

Isn’t a gutted game as new is them doing you a favor because it’s on sale, most of the time the preowned version cost more.

Doesn’t matter to me as long as any code hasn’t been used.

I've gotten the last "new" copy before and they didn't even have the original case lol. Tho they put it in a GS case and gave me a 20% discount on top of it for "shop worn". Traded it in the next week with a bonus for way more than I paid.

I rarely buy games there, this being among the reasons. Like many others I trade when it’s most advantageous to build credit. But then I use the credit to buy gift cards for other retailers I actually plan to shop at. 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back