2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Theres a reddit post about it with people deflecting that it's going away, but I don't see any firm 'no it is not' responses

Elite pro is great for trades and in-store purchases but it made online purchases more expensive. I used to be able to get games 26% off online before Elite

I wonder what happens to our current memberships? Should I renew now?
I was told that it will be similar to BBY GCU program, that starting tomorrow there will be no more sign ups or extensions allowed.

However, they will honor the benefits of all existing memberships. So if you fear it may go away, you might want to renew today if you still can.

I know this isn't really the place to ask, but since some of you have done it, hopefully I can get an answer. If I want to trade in my PS4 Pro for the new Spiderman one, how do i transfer everything over since I won't have both systems at the same time?

Anyone else hear that Elite level is going away starting tomorrow?

I was told that a message was sent out to the staff to inform them that starting tomorrow you cannot sign up for or renew Elite. Anyone else hear this?
Will they just go back to offering Pro memberships only or are they killing memberships all together, like GCU? That's a bad sign from GS because that's part of their main income (bugging people to sign up for Pro memberships).

Will they just go back to offering Pro memberships only or are they killing memberships all together, like GCU? That's a bad sign from GS because that's part of their main income (bugging people to sign up for Pro memberships).
No way they eliminate the Pro. They've had that for as long as I can remember.

The Elite was to compete with GCU and Prime. I guess it didnt do for them what they hoped (and Best Buy killed GCU) so theyre killing it.

You still need to go in store to renew with points right?

Sadly I'm on the east coast and can't go in till tomorrow -_-

Edit: just went back and re-read posts, it is still just a coupon crap.

I wonder what will happen to east cost people who purchase the coupon today and cant use it tomorrow

Just renewed on Friday so if they do pull it I'm good. Bought a lot of newer used games for $44 that I wouldn't have bought for $49. Yes it's only $5 but it adds up.

Mine expires November 2019... I feel like that's long enough, but then again they might start giving good TIV's after most people's memberships have lapsed a year from now today... in which case I'd only have like 2 months of good trades left.

my elite expires in october, i have a link on my poweruprewards.com account page to renew online, is that going to end up just giving me a coupon? it seems like i used that once when it was pro but i cant remember.

Just saw that posting. Seems like there would be more noise if this was going to happen, but who knows. I'm good until 2021 and the coupon only works on one set so I'm not sure I want to fork over another 30,000 points on the chance that it's true.
Checked Reddit (as somebody mentioned there being a thread about it).
Saw one thread with like 5 posts.
Nothing to see here.

Maybe I'm wrong, but yeah this would be getting way more attention if true. Anybody on the west coast, that's on good terms with their local store employees, willing to chime in?

Edit:
Well, guess it doesn't matter one way or the other since all the stores are closed in my area (could have sworn that closed later on Sundays).

you could maybe do it over the phone with a store in Cali? I just went to renew mine, just in case, and got all the way to the store before realizing it was Sunday and they were closed already. debating trying to call a store.

I just renewed in store, they definitely didn't indicate that it was ending but this employee isn't in the know so that's not surprising if they didn't know.i hope it doesn't end but I'm set for another tear in case the axe it.

Got some conflicting info after two trades today at GS.  One employee told me they're limiting trades of the same item to 2 per 30 days now.  When I asked about this at the next GS, the employee told me that's not true, but that I could only trade 5 of the same item LIFETIME.  Doubt either one is true, because I heard nothing about it before today.  Anyone heard anything like this?

you could maybe do it over the phone with a store in Cali? I just went to renew mine, just in case, and got all the way to the store before realizing it was Sunday and they were closed already. debating trying to call a store.
Good idea, I did want to use points though, since I have an insane amount of them. Tell me if it works out for you.

Unrelated to the current stuff, is anyone able to checkout on the gamestop website?

I can get to choose shipping option, however I can't do anything from there, the page just doesn't do anything when I click next.

The app does work but I can't seem to use trade credit from a card.

I was selling a pro a couple months ago and I was regularly getting offers for like $200, and requests to trade for knives and hand guns. -_-
My favorite lowballs was a guy trying to trade me his dog for a PS3 (should’ve taken it and gotten it a better home) or someone offering $1 for an iPhone 6S plus I had when the 7’s just came out that said “trading for iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus with cash on my end”

I buy on local sites all the time but rarely sell there

Wow, it'll be ridiculous if they're really getting rid of Elite Pro just like that. Luckily I renewed my main account a couple weeks ago but I guess my other one is screwed. Gonna be pissed if this is actually real and they have no information about it until it was too late.

Just renewed (was set to expire in September anyway) but the cashier had no idea about it ending and he not one of the employees that is just going through the motions at work. Probably a rumor but it worked on me. Wouldn't have rushed to renew if I wasn't already going to be driving past there tonight...before elite I would renew the day before my membership expires.

Worked on me too. If I remember Best Buy, word was out the last day to Renew or after it was too late.

Plus I think it’s been a year since it started, so makes sense

Somehow I wouldn't be surprised if this is some sleazy, underhanded tactic to boost/promote Elite Pro. After the news broke about the Circle of Life, there's no telling what corporate is forcing GS employees to say to pad those numbers.

I upgraded to Elite Pro shortly after renewing my Pro membership in June. So I'm good until said time next year if true.

Just renewed (was set to expire in September anyway) but the cashier had no idea about it ending and he not one of the employees that is just going through the motions at work. Probably a rumor but it worked on me. Wouldn't have rushed to renew if I wasn't already going to be driving past there tonight...before elite I would renew the day before my membership expires.
Just renewed as well. Both guys working there had no idea about Elite ending. They're pretty friendly with me so they would have said something if they actually knew. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

It doesn't sound like Elite being canceled is actually happening. There's only been two accounts corroborating it, and there would be a lot more people mentioning it on the GS subreddit if there was a memo about it. I'm actually surprised at how many people here went out to renew their memberships today. If it does end up happening, I wouldn't really mind.

My favorite lowballs was a guy trying to trade me his dog for a PS3 (should’ve taken it and gotten it a better home) or someone offering $1 for an iPhone 6S plus I had when the 7’s just came out that said “trading for iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus with cash on my end”

I buy on local sites all the time but rarely sell there
I listed some rare GC games fully complete and someone wanted to trade them for gun ammo

I think GameStop will last until the release of PS5/XB2 in 2020 and then that’ll be it. 2021 will likely be their last year.

In the last 2 weeks I've been hounded everytime I've gone into a Gamestop to renew my Elite but I kept slacking and now I guess I won't be able to... bummer... lol oh well

I think GameStop will last until the release of PS5/XB2 in 2020 and then that’ll be it. 2021 will likely be their last year.
They still have thousands of stores. Their stores dont take up the space of a TRU (and TRU was a unique situation because of their years-old debt problems) and their margins are fairly high on the things they sell because they get most of it used. Theyll close stores before going out of business. They still have so many stores in close proximity. I have 10 stores within a 15 min drive from me.

Going out of business in 3 years is still a little extreme at this point. The next systems would have to completely eliminate physical media. Even then, that would probably give them 2 years until enough people migrate to the new systems. They'd get a small boost during the launch year from the sheer number of console and PSN/XBL card. Not to mention the continuation of strong Switch game sales. The Switch will be in its strongest years 4 years from now

Anyone else hear that Elite level is going away starting tomorrow?

I was told that a message was sent out to the staff to inform them that starting tomorrow you cannot sign up for or renew Elite. Anyone else hear this?
Blackbeard is that you messing with us? You have the same profile pic as BB.
photo-thumb-507185.jpg

A user flair'd as 'Manager' on the gamesotp subreddit is suggesting there is a conference call today in the thread about Elite possibly being cancelled, guess we'll see

A user flair'd as 'Manager' on the gamesotp subreddit is suggesting there is a conference call today in the thread about Elite possibly being cancelled, guess we'll see
I saw that as well. Seems silly that they'd cancel the program, it's actually gotten me to shop at Gamestop more frequently and the Pro Card has become a joke compared to Elite. If anything I could see them getting rid of Pro and only having the Elite Membership.

Also on a side note, whoever said Gamestop will be out of business by 2020-2021 is insane. They may be sold to another company, but the amount of stores and value the Gamestop brand has is quite large.

elite brings me to their store so there goes me

as far as the dumb masses go............the goal was always to sell memberships that said masses will never use. i suppose the limit for people is one membership. so all elite is good for is getting power users an extra 10% off that recoups their investment pretty quick. but..........then you have to consider that it also brings people back over and over at a higher rate.......i dunno

honestly the most legitimate reason i can see for them canceling elite is it confusing the average joe. when i see people get elite explained to them people have at least one brief moment of consideration where they wonder "is this like.....a scam? how many damn memberships am i supposed to buy? is there a mega super duper membershop too???!!!!!!!!!"

I hope they don't cancel Elite, but I can totally see them doing it since Best Buy ended their 20% discount program. Guess we'll find out later today. The elite 20% off was actually getting me to stop at Gamestop more often.

If anyone isn't aware, Amazon UK also cancelled their Prime videogame preorder discounts a week ago. If all the retailers slowly get rid of their benefits it's easier for the competitors to follow suit, I won't be surprised if US does too

If anyone isn't aware, Amazon UK also cancelled their Prime videogame preorder discounts a week ago. If all the retailers slowly get rid of their benefits it's easier for the competitors to follow suit, I won't be surprised if US does too
Yeah, I saw this as well. I fully expect the US branch of Amazon to get rid of their Prime 20% preorder discount, probably within the next two months. The writing was on the wall once BB stopped renewing and giving out GCU memberships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back