2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wario Ware for 3ds is being clearanced out at the GameStop I stopped by. $34.97 price. Does not beat the best buy b1g1 50% off deal if you're in for 2 games.

I see God of war is on the sale list for Dec 12th. I still haven't received my Web in store order placed before thanksgiving lol.
Ditto lol. I have 2 orders which "supposedly" shipped 8 days ago and email had tracking # info and yet, over a week ago now and still no movement. Amazing. Probably if/when I do get the orders, I will do a return and buy a board game from Amazon. :)

But that market can be severely impacted. How are all those CD collections doing in the age of the ipod?
You’d be surprised. Like games, most of them are “commons” and not worth much, but others have more collector value and sell for more. See for yourself on eBay or Amazon.

I hate people like this guy, if you hate a store so much don’t go. I hated Sam goody but did I wish for it of under? No because last competition breeds higher prices. Why do people want less options because they don’t like the option. that’s why it’s called an option, you have a choice not to go.
Because they're idiots and do not understand basic business economics. They could do more damage to GS by taking advantage of GS's promos like we do.

It's like the console fan boys that want to see someone stop making a console. Fewer companies making systems would be bad for gaming. Just look at BF this year for an example of healthy competition among retailers and among console makers.

But that market can be severely impacted. How are all those CD collections doing in the age of the ipod?
There's a difference between a market being impacted and a market being non-existant.

People have been talking forever that digital is king and physical is dead, but it's not even close to that yet. It -may- happen at some point in the distant future, but not anytime soon.

Take CDs. No, the market isn't the same as it was. But given how utterly long digital music has been around (15 + years maybe), it's very telling that CD's still exist on store shelves and that new releases continue to be produced. It's not a niche market, it's a product that still sells and isn't going away anytime soon for a variety of reasons.

There's a difference between a market being impacted and a market being non-existant.

People have been talking forever that digital is king and physical is dead, but it's not even close to that yet. It -may- happen at some point in the distant future, but not anytime soon.

Take CDs. No, the market isn't the same as it was. But given how utterly long digital music has been around (15 + years maybe), it's very telling that CD's still exist on store shelves and that new releases continue to be produced. It's not a niche market, it's a product that still sells and isn't going away anytime soon for a variety of reasons.
My Dad has a massive CD collection with several that are very expensive to buy now due. Also, some CDs contain tracks that have not been made available outside the CD release on places like Spotify, Apple Music, etc.

Vinyl is also a great example of a medium that everyone said was dead 20-30 years ago but has had a massive resurgence.

Physical video games will exist in some form for many years to come. Eventually, in the near future, I do think we will see digital only consoles as an option, but it'll be a while before it's the only option.

I won't buy games if they go digital. Simple as that. I know people love digital because of convenience, but a) games are freaking huge now and 1tb hdd is barely nothing and b) paying full price and not being able to sell it is a HUGE deterrent.

It works for PC, well it did when prices were reasonable on steam, but even my digital purchasing has gone down due in relation to publishers controlling pricing and there being less appealing steam sales these past 4-5 years.

My only problem with digital is the space it takes up. I bought a 1tb hdd external drive for my PS4 and it is already filled up. When I am finished with a game I like to trade it in because I don't want to play games more than once (time could be spent playing a new game). I do like not having to hear the bluray drive not spinning up when playing a game. There are advantages and disadvantages like everything else.

its like you guys dont know what is going on, all games install onto the hard drive, the only difference is with ps4 you need a little extra to complete the install digitally, but other than that a disc vs digital debate cannot include hard drive space.

4TB drives aren't terribly expensive. I bought one recently for my XBox one.  $80. 

I don't buy very many games at full retail anymore.  Digital or physical.  I wait for sales or discounts.  Now that my brother has a PS4 and we are gaming sharing I can see us buying more stuff digitally.  So we can split the cost on a few "must haves".

If/when it goes all digital and the sales go away then I might be out.  But until then I will buy some stuff digitally and some stuff physically.  Size of game isn't a consideration for me as either way it has to be installed to the HD and HDs are inexpensive.  I have two decent options for Internet and neither has a data cap.  

On XBox so far I am finding Game pass to be a pretty decent value when it is on sale.  Gives me access to well over 100 games.  Full price is too pricey for me but half price or less seems to be a decent value for me.

its like you guys dont know what is going on, all games install onto the hard drive, the only difference is with ps4 you need a little extra to complete the install digitally, but other than that a disc vs digital debate cannot include hard drive space.
The issue is not necessarily the space, it's the need to not download the data. "Patches" are changing that (side issue, but I think some publishers purposely put out massive patches to push digital). But a huge advantage of disc, is that the only install time is the length it takes to transfer the data from disc to console, versus having to download everything. Internet is vastly widespread, but there are still a ton of areas that simply don't have the ability to download large chunks of data at a reasonable rate, or even at all. Widespread high speed internet will change that, but that's not even close to a reality yet.

With a disc, I can uninstall the game to make room for another one, and just reinstall it quickly from disc when desired. With digital, once you uninstall it, you have to redownload the entire thing again from scratch.

Well I lucked out. Did a B2G1 last weekend and I will be switching 2 of the games today for Smash and Mario Party. I was originally going to just trade Splatoon 2 for Mario Party, but I'd much rather have Smash than Lets Go Eevee, especially since I thought it would be awhile before my local store gets a Smash trade in.

Have you all not be introduced to the very real issue of disc rot?
I've personally never had it happen to any of my discs, but it is a real thing.

I won't buy games if they go digital. Simple as that. I know people love digital because of convenience, but a) games are freaking huge now and 1tb hdd is barely nothing and b) paying full price and not being able to sell it is a HUGE deterrent.

It works for PC, well it did when prices were reasonable on steam, but even my digital purchasing has gone down due in relation to publishers controlling pricing and there being less appealing steam sales these past 4-5 years.
I am not completely against digital and definitely see the benefits to it especially with a platform like the Switch. The biggest issue for me though is that as a collector I like to have something physical I can display. Also as you mentioned it's very rare that you'll be able to buy a game on consoles digitally cheaper than you can buy the physical copy. Eventually digital prices on consoles will be more in line with what we see on PC.

i'm that terrible person that has converted to digital on the switch, but saved an empty case from most games that i own from boomerangs for "collection" purposes (only switch not ps4 cases). i'm so close to purging, but still can't help myself sometimes...

I got an emailed coupon for 2 off 10 on collectibles for using no hurry shipping, it must be from BF GoW, but I had free standard shipping.

Have you all not be introduced to the very real issue of disc rot?
I have collected over 7000 discs (games, CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray Discs) over the course of around 30 years and never encountered a single case of disc rot. It is my understanding that disc rot only happens with poorly manufactured or improperly stored discs. It is a real issue, but it is not common and will never affect the majority of discs.

I've had a couple discs succumb to disc rot, the environment the discs are stored in definitely has an effect. Thankfully nowadays people are pretty on top of backing things up

i'm that terrible person that has converted to digital on the switch, but saved an empty case from most games that i own from boomerangs for "collection" purposes (only switch not ps4 cases). i'm so close to purging, but still can't help myself sometimes...
I'm all digital now. The space required to store a physical collection isn't worth it in California and with little kids. Also having a physical backlog gives me anxiety to play the games when I don't have enough time.

For someone who owns over 130 Vita physical I feel like for every person there is one console they must have 90% physical. For the switch I have been leaning towards more digital than physical. I just bought the Smash  LE and plan to sell the cart and keep the goodies while offsetting my fighters pack bundle, regretfully bought Diablo 3 for it to drop in price 2 months from now and I'm planning to pick up VC4 whenever it hits the 23.99 mark.

I'm not a fan of gamestop corporate's disposition and attitude towards their customer base but for cost reasons and retro I would like for them to stay afloat because at least I can physical see & touch the fake DS carts.

Why wouldn't a digital backlog give you the same anxiety?
Good question.

I found I actually buy fewer games digitally because fewer sales of new games, and because I know there's no way I can trade the game later. With physical games I tend to buy sales thinking the price is good so I can leave it on a shelf until I'm ready, except I'm never ready, or trade it later. I find I spend less if I buy digitally because I know I'm not done with my games. Saving $5 on a $30 game is the same thing as losing $25 if I never play it.

Also, the physical games take up space. Seeing something causes a lot more anxiety for me than the digital equivalent. Since I have no option to sell/trade then I don't get stressed about the decision at all.

Warning: skip over this if you don't want to read a rant. 

I usually give gamestop and it's website the benefit of the doubt, I worked there back in the day and understand why most things that get complained about happen. But I've lost any amount of patience I once had for them. I placed and order on 11/21 and still don't have two of the five items. They aren't out of stock. I had 2-day elite pro shipping. I've emailed twice and called in twice. First call I waited over an hour just for the guy to pass the buck and tell me I had to wait two more days and call back so I wouldn't be his problem. So I waited 4 more days and called. Lady tried the same thing. I asked for a manager. She said the manager would call me back later that day. Here I am, two days later. I don't know why I felt the need to share this here. I'm just angry and need to vent. JX9E9-PIZBA-IGXRB there's a steam code for Hollow Knight if anybody was patient enough to read this. 

Edit: Also renewed my pro membership and my b2g1 coupon disappeared. This is hosre  :censored:

Good question.

I found I actually buy fewer games digitally because fewer sales of new games, and because I know there's no way I can trade the game later. With physical games I tend to buy sales thinking the price is good so I can leave it on a shelf until I'm ready, except I'm never ready, or trade it later. I find I spend less if I buy digitally because I know I'm not done with my games. Saving $5 on a $30 game is the same thing as losing $25 if I never play it.

Also, the physical games take up space. Seeing something causes a lot more anxiety for me than the digital equivalent. Since I have no option to sell/trade then I don't get stressed about the decision at all.
I look at it differently. While I do sometimes stress over my backlog, I realize I can just ebay excess titles. No biggie. Cant do shit about my digital backlog. Most anxiety occurs when I shop psn sales, find a game i like, and when i click purchase button, it says download to ps4 lol. Oh yeah that's right, bought it a year ago...at least physical is on a shelf where I can see it, am aware of it, and in control of it.

I look at it differently. While I do sometimes stress over my backlog, I realize I can just ebay excess titles. No biggie. Cant do shit about my digital backlog. Most anxiety occurs when I shop psn sales, find a game i like, and when i click purchase button, it says download to ps4 lol. Oh yeah that's right, bought it a year ago...at least physical is on a shelf where I can see it, am aware of it, and in control of it.
I hear ya. Very much the opposite feeling here, because I know I can sell it on eBay I feel pressure to beat it so I can sell it. I'm going through a decluttering phase in my life. Physical things are giving me anxiety. I have nearly sold everything but my hardware at this point. No collectibles other than art books.

Its obvious that digital media is the future, and its already begun slowly killing Gamestop.  They've got less than 4 years left before filing bankruptcy or selling out to a private money buyer, unless there are major changes at the top and they get some really smart people up there.

Next year, Microsoft is coming out with a disc less Xbox One, and when their next console comes out Q4 2020 there will likely be two options, one without a disc drive at a reasonable $500(give or take) price and one with a disc drive for $200 more because they're really going to want to try and push players into downloading their games. 

Don't get me wrong, there are still plenty of people who like owning disc based games, and Gamestop still sells a lot of new games.  Its the people who don't want to walk into a gamestop now, who previously would just to get some value out of games they're done with.  Gamestop won't die because they're missing out on selling the first new copy of a game, its missing out on reselling that game multiple times that has begun to kill them. 

I own three game stores in Michigan and I've seen the decline in game sales and I've been lucky enough to be ahead of the decline by switching enough of my store over to board games, electronics, card games, disc golf, and whatever else my customers want to buy.  I used to order 400 copies of a new call of duty game for about $20,000 and sell out on release weekend or shortly after, and now the big new release games are usually Nintendo products like Pokemon or Smash and we're ordering in the dozens not hundreds.  The drop off has been huge and will just get bigger over the next 5 years. 

Its obvious that digital media is the future, and its already begun slowly killing Gamestop. They've got less than 4 years left before filing bankruptcy or selling out to a private money buyer, unless there are major changes at the top and they get some really smart people up there.

Next year, Microsoft is coming out with a disc less Xbox One, and when their next console comes out Q4 2020 there will likely be two options, one without a disc drive at a reasonable $500(give or take) price and one with a disc drive for $200 more because they're really going to want to try and push players into downloading their games.

Don't get me wrong, there are still plenty of people who like owning disc based games, and Gamestop still sells a lot of new games. Its the people who don't want to walk into a gamestop now, who previously would just to get some value out of games they're done with. Gamestop won't die because they're missing out on selling the first new copy of a game, its missing out on reselling that game multiple times that has begun to kill them.

I own three game stores in Michigan and I've seen the decline in game sales and I've been lucky enough to be ahead of the decline by switching enough of my store over to board games, electronics, card games, disc golf, and whatever else my customers want to buy. I used to order 400 copies of a new call of duty game for about $20,000 and sell out on release weekend or shortly after, and now the big new release games are usually Nintendo products like Pokemon or Smash and we're ordering in the dozens not hundreds. The drop off has been huge and will just get bigger over the next 5 years.
The fuck are you guys pulling these numbers from? Less than 4 years til they close? $500 for a discless Xbox Two? $700 for an Xbox Two w/ disc drive?

https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F83999%2Fcharlie_and_the_chocolate_factory_willy_wonka_gene_wilder_1920x1080_wallpaper_Wallpaper_2560x1440_sarcastic.jpg

Warning: skip over this if you don't want to read a rant.

I usually give gamestop and it's website the benefit of the doubt, I worked there back in the day and understand why most things that get complained about happen. But I've lost any amount of patience I once had for them. I placed and order on 11/21 and still don't have two of the five items. They aren't out of stock. I had 2-day elite pro shipping. I've emailed twice and called in twice. First call I waited over an hour just for the guy to pass the buck and tell me I had to wait two more days and call back so I wouldn't be his problem. So I waited 4 more days and called. Lady tried the same thing. I asked for a manager. She said the manager would call me back later that day. Here I am, two days later. I don't know why I felt the need to share this here. I'm just angry and need to vent. JX9E9-PIZBA-IGXRB there's a steam code for Hollow Knight if anybody was patient enough to read this.

Edit: Also renewed my pro membership and my b2g1 coupon disappeared. This is hosre :censored:
Thanks for the steam key. I've been hearing good things about Hollow Knight, now I get a chance to play it. You made my night, appreciate it :D

The numbers for price aren't important.  The facts are, those at the top of Microsoft want the next Xbox to not have a disc drive and be download only, but customer backlash and competition from Sony will likely force them to put out both versions at launch.  I personally would be shocked if the price difference wasn't more than $100.  It's most likely going to be $150 to $200 more for a console with a disc drive.  Especially if they're the only new console launching 4th quarter 2020 and Sony isn't doing anything until 2021.  They'll be priced at price points to strongly encourage people to buy the console without a disc drive.  Obviously there is speculation on my part but we've since enough from Microsoft to know that their see games like computer software, not something that someone should be able to red box, or borrow from a friend, or sell for 80% of their money back on facebook marketplace after they've played through a game. 

I own three game stores in Michigan and I've seen the decline in game sales and I've been lucky enough to be ahead of the decline by switching enough of my store over to board games, electronics, card games, disc golf, and whatever else my customers want to buy. I used to order 400 copies of a new call of duty game for about $20,000 and sell out on release weekend or shortly after, and now the big new release games are usually Nintendo products like Pokemon or Smash and we're ordering in the dozens not hundreds. The drop off has been huge and will just get bigger over the next 5 years.
While digital is certainly a factor in declining sales at stores I believe that people buying physical games online is an even bigger shift. Amazon.com and BestBuy.com have had much more aggresive sales in the last few years so even people who are still interested in buying physical games have stopped buying them at local stores like yours.

I think Microsoft has the right idea. Digital is the only way we're going to be able to stream our games from phones, tablets, whatever, and that is the future. I have a mixed collection of physical and digital based on whatever is cheaper but the Play Anywhere titles push me to go digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back