2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly there could've been a b2g1 planned and then it got scrapped late in the game. GameStop has been all over the place with following through recently.
I'm flashing back to that scrapped 50% trade boost that had signage in stores, ready to go, and then they scrapped it in a memo last minute.

I realize I need to stop saying this but: I should've taken advantage of the SB and traded in a lot more stuff, only to buy it back as part of the possible B2G1. I only did a few games and only stuff I was willing to lose (and not buy back).
Not a good move at all. Following the trajectory of the last two SB’s being underwhelming to the point of them LOWERING values for games, it was truly foolish to not take full advantage of this month’s bump.

Statistically speaking this bump was the largest we’ve received based on actual percentage of increase for the games

Not a good move at all. Following the trajectory of the last two SB’s being underwhelming to the point of them LOWERING values for games, it was truly foolish to not take full advantage of this month’s bump.
Statistically speaking this bump was the largest we’ve received based on actual percentage of increase for the games
That’s easy to say in hindsight.

However, I did trade everything Friday because I operate under the mindset to take advantage of the opportunity now... and if a new one comes, capitalize that too.

A lot of people held out because of rumor starters in here.

OK I just went to one of the local manager that I know well and she showed me the b2g1 signage, It says all Preowned products. Looks like they’re going to do the good one guys. Starts tomorrow

OK I just went to one of the local manager that I know well and she showed me the b2g1 signage, It says all Preowned products. Looks like they’re going to do the good one guys. Starts tomorrow
My store manager told me the same thing.

Also, props to some of these employees for their patience. Old man came in freaking out that the Wii U games he bought won't play. It's because he only has a Wii. I'm sure that happens a ton because the employee pointed to a Wii console in the display box to ask if the system looked like that.

From the Gamestop Discord, says that hardware is excluded from being the 'free' item

LazzyBarbToday at 3:26 PM
Basically the same but a little differentThe two items you actually pay for can be any preowned products including systems but the free item Hass to be games or accessories

also says Switch games are not excluded

LazzyBarbToday at 3:27 PM
As long as it’s preowned

From the Gamestop Discord, says that hardware is excluded from being the 'free' item

LazzyBarbToday at 3:26 PM
Basically the same but a little differentThe two items you actually pay for can be any preowned products including systems but the free item Hass to be games or accessories

also says Switch games are not excluded

LazzyBarbToday at 3:27 PM
As long as it’s preowned
I wonder how the POS will handle reward certs on pre-owned if hardware is locked out of being the free item. There could be some interesting possibilities there.

It's not dollars to dollars. People will have different standards for this. Personally I don't convert cash to credit unless it's at least a 1:2 conversion.

Last time I really went out of my way to do it was turning $16 PvZ2 copies into $48 gs credit.
Well, like I said, I was going anyways. i pay my credit card off every month, so that doesn't cost me anything and I get reward points. I just cashed out my reward points from them for 3 Brand New copies of Mortal Kombat 11, 2 Breath of the Wild and 2 Super Mario Party for Switch.. And I use my trade credit at gamestop mostly to buy games to resell and make more money off, so the addition of not paying 7% sales tax makes a difference for me. I've also used my trade credit for gift cards at places I already go, so thats the same as cash. Finally, factor in that I've made enough in gamestop points for $90 in reward certs since the beginning of the year, and it all adds up to enough for me. :)

I wonder how the POS will handle reward certs on pre-owned if hardware is locked out of being the free item. There could be some interesting possibilities there.
I could tell you what I was told but nobody would believe me so there's no point lol. I'll just keep to myself from now on around here because apparently believing people on the internet in 2019 is a difficult thing to do

Well, like I said, I was going anyways. i pay my credit card off every month, so that doesn't cost me anything and I get reward points. I just cashed out my reward points from them for 3 Brand New copies of Mortal Kombat 11, 2 Breath of the Wild and 2 Super Mario Party for Switch.. And I use my trade credit at gamestop mostly to buy games to resell and make more money off, so the addition of not paying 7% sales tax makes a difference for me. I've also used my trade credit for gift cards at places I already go, so thats the same as cash. Finally, factor in that I've made enough in gamestop points for $90 in reward certs since the beginning of the year, and it all adds up to enough for me. :)
That's awesome man. Go for whatever makes you happy. I also do the same with my credit card

I could tell you what I was told but nobody would believe me so there's no point lol. I'll just keep to myself from now on around here because apparently believing people on the internet in 2019 is a difficult thing to do
Wah wah. Exactly it’s 2019, there are far far more lies on the internet than truths. You sound like a child that got their feelings hurt because you didn’t get the positive attention you were seeking with your initial post

Well I appreciate getting potential heads up info even if it's not 100% accurate. If a manager told you "B2G1 happening next week" or something then I can see why you would think it was Sunday rather than Wednesday's ad. Not sure why people are giving you so much grief over this. Don't let them get to you.
Thanks man. I have my stuff on hold for tomorrow!

Tempted to go back and rebuy all the NSW games I traded butttt we might never see another decent trade promo again after this...

If hardware is excluded then I’m out

No reason for me to participate
I have a local store that has a trio of vita systems i was hoping to snag. Guess I'll have to wait till prestige day and hope for the best.

Hopefully someone tests this tomorrow to see if it is true or not.

Checking in to confirm that, based on the promo ad I was just shown, all pre-owned items are included in tomorrow’s Buy 2, Get 1 promo.

No exclusions, though I wouldn’t be surprised if they clarified for pricier items before the weekend.

That said - tomorrow’s sale is confirmed. Have fun, all.

That's awesome man. Go for whatever makes you happy. I also do the same with my credit card
It really does make me happy. I love scanning forums here, slickdeals, and others for deals, then figuring out ways to maximize my profit, minimize my effort without doing anything overly shady or unethical. its my hobby :)

Is there any confirmation on that supposed hardware restriction on the free item
Three GameStops I went to today confirmed the hardware restriction. So between the managers and SGAs, being knowledgeable about that tidbit, I’d say the hardware restriction is confirmed

If you had any real info you would want to post it, so when it happens you'd be vindicated. I understand being upset because we're a bunch of dicks here, but saying you have juicy info and holding it makes it look like you're just making shit up and hoping something happens so you can claim you knew all along. Either way, have a blessed night.

If you saw CAG Twitter, there's a picture of the promo description for employees. The free item can only be a game or accessory. Consoles qualify for the buy 2 but not the free item

Hm. Can anyone tell me what switch games were bumped last SB? Those seem like pretty safe options. I'm wondering if you could also use the cag16 code. I got my ctg games on saturday. Do you think the cashiers be pissed off if I return them so soon?

I know its really nitpicky, but according to the examples, "lowest price free" only applies to example 1, so based on example 2 if you bought two $55 consoles, you can get an Xbox One Elite controller for free.  

(I genuinely dont expect it to work, but one could try to argue based on the example terms)

I know its really nitpicky, but according to the examples, "lowest price free" only applies to example 1, so based on example 2 if you bought two $55 consoles, you can get an Xbox One Elite controller for free.

(I genuinely dont expect it to work, but one could try to argue based on the example terms)
I can’t wait to see someone buy two OG playstations and get a PSVR for free 😂

hmmmm.... potential shenanigans tomorrow...

What if:

1. everything listed under the electronics category counts... even the $8 apple watch bands

and

2. the system treats the third item as the free item, no matter then cost, due to it meeting the 3 pre-owned item criteria, but two being ineligible.

Example:

1 apple watch band (electronics - ineligible for free item) $8

2nd apple watch band (electronics - ineligible for free item) $8

psvr headset (accessory - eligible as free item) $150

POS total = $16

hmmmmmmmmmm....

EDIT: seems bezerker and I came up with the same idea at the same time. worth poking the system and trying at least.

For people who don't know and want to try, last year it was the blast from the past bundles that broke the system and let people get dirt cheap consoles during the b2g1

For people who don't know and want to try, last year it was the blast from the past bundles that broke the system and let people get dirt cheap consoles during the b2g1
Oh god please don't make me stay up to see if all this works, though I would think the console exclusion would bust this idea, yes?

Also a note to anyone using that code online - it looks like it only applies to the first 9 items in your order and has no effect on items added after that. Just an FYI as it just took me by surprise.

Oh god please don't make me stay up to see if all this works, though I would think the console exclusion would bust this idea, yes?

Also a note to anyone using that code online - it looks like it only applies to the first 9 items in your order and has no effect on items added after that. Just an FYI as it just took me by surprise.
They eventually patched the issue last year, but just tossing it out there in case someone's looking for possible loopholes

They eventually patched the issue last year, but just tossing it out there in case someone's looking for possible loopholes
Good point. Also FWIW, the PSVR trades in under consoles so I doubt it'll be eligible for the offer. Never hurts to try though!

Good point. Also FWIW, the PSVR trades in under consoles so I doubt it'll be eligible for the offer. Never hurts to try though!
but its under accessories on the site.. just an example though. an elite controller would be just as kickass

It's not even midnight anywhere in the US yet. I was told it wasn't going live until the morning when I asked earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back