2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up a switch bundle from fb marketplace real cheap today. Thinking about trading this switch for the new one and keeping my old one to mod.

Can you transfer saves system to system? I know dark souls doesn’t have cloud saving and I have 10-15 hours in mine.
Yep there's a pretty easy transfer option, just have to have both switches present.

Reports are coming in that half of the Game Informer staff was laid off today...

This is either a sign of Gamestop trimming some fat, getting ready for a sale, or the worst case scenario.

Edit: 2nd worst case scenario...since worst case scenario is gsdave coming back....
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1163918984523264000

Found Wii Sports at a pawn shop and got him to basically let me have it since it had no case and I was already buying a few other games anyways. I wish I had found it before today lol. Should I just trade it now with the $5 bump or wait for the next time it gets a stealth bump?

I also got GTA V on 360 but it is disc 2. Will they even take it without disc 1? Either way I'm not worried because he said if any of them don't work, I can bring them back and swap for something else.

Wasn't there a video like last week claiming this was going to happen?

regardless, i have over $400 in TC now.. need to just spend it before a worst case scenario. 

I would trade it in now.

No, they won't take it without Disc 1.

Found Wii Sports at a pawn shop and got him to basically let me have it since it had no case and I was already buying a few other games anyways. I wish I had found it before today lol. Should I just trade it now with the $5 bump or wait for the next time it gets a stealth bump?

I also got GTA V on 360 but it is disc 2. Will they even take it without disc 1? Either way I'm not worried because he said if any of them don't work, I can bring them back and swap for something else.

Is everyone spending their trade in credit now or waiting to see what happens?

I'm thinking about buying a switch.  Should I buy the switch lite or the regular updated one?  What are most people getting?  I have never owned one before. 

I'm thinking about buying a switch. Should I buy the switch lite or the regular updated one? What are most people getting? I have never owned one before.
Do you want to play on your TV?

If that's not a concern of yours then save $100 and get the lite. If you want to have the option get the new revision that just came out.

I'm thinking about buying a switch. Should I buy the switch lite or the regular updated one? What are most people getting? I have never owned one before.
I've considered getting the newer switch with the longer battery but for me, there's not really a point in spending $100 extra by trading in my current switch for something I play docked 90% of the time. Just depends on how you will play.

Now if something comes out about we better hurry and use our credit then I'll probably make the move just so I don't lose it or whatever lol

For what its worth, the kid working at the store today said they have a TON of price changes rolling out tonight. So many that they were given extra hours to do it, which rarely happens. Obviously that doesn't mean all the prices are going down, but it seems like a good chance that a lot of stuff will be cheaper tomorrow. Hopefully the next sale period includes another 4 for 20 or similar. 

Hoping for 4 ($19.99 titles) for $40 or a B2G1

Edit: My local store has the new guy close for the 1st time tonight alone. I'm skeptical of what you heard.

I was gonna trade in the games I got today but now I'm interested in what these price changes will be so I'm gonna wait until tomorrow to go

For what its worth, the kid working at the store today said they have a TON of price changes rolling out tonight. So many that they were given extra hours to do it, which rarely happens. Obviously that doesn't mean all the prices are going down, but it seems like a good chance that a lot of stuff will be cheaper tomorrow. Hopefully the next sale period includes another 4 for 20 or similar.
For a Wednesday? That'd be weird. If true I'm sure most of them wont be advertised so you'll have to go into the store to find them.

Theres already a ton of stuff on sale so I wouldnt be surprised if the price changes is to bring the price of the games back on sale to normal.

So people who don't pay tax with their trade in credit, how do you approach it?  Do you just say,I want to apply some of my credit to the switch or preorder?   OR does it not matter?  It just depends on your state?

Does he still think sales change over on Wednesday? I knew GameStop was behind the times, but damn, that’s bad. No wonder they’re firing people left and right.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1163918984523264000
Prob in the minority but sucks about GI losing staff... even though mags are dead and even most gaming new sites seem to be nothing but videos/streams these days, I enjoyed GI. Thought it had some really solid previews and loved the retrospectives. Even in an era when they basically have no competition, I enjoyed the magazine- even thought about keeping my PUR+ membership going because I enjoyed the magazine.

So according to Cheapy, all gift cards (not just Southwest) can no longer be bought with credit. Glad I bought some gift cards today
Here is the list that Cheapy posted.

ECdI1x6WkAA-Btb.jpg

This sucks. We always bought Kohls and Home Depot cards, saw it coming though. No way they can survive paying $15 for Wii Sports then just taking all the credit somewhere else. My brother has over $900 and is not very happy right now, but he probably should have brought that number down a bit over the past few weeks. I have around $400 but planning to buy some switch games and possibly a phone at the end of the year so it's not so bad for me. The end is definitely closing in though. So pretty much the only way to get something physical now outside of Gamestop is with the Xbox->Microsoft store deal.

Prob in the minority but sucks about GI losing staff... even though mags are dead and even most gaming new sites seem to be nothing but videos/streams these days, I enjoyed GI. Thought it had some really solid previews and loved the retrospectives. Even in an era when they basically have no competition, I enjoyed the magazine- even thought about keeping my PUR+ membership going because I enjoyed the magazine.
Nobody is happy about GI losing half their stuff. They made a good magazine, great digital content, and had lots of great people working for them.

Was just looking and looks like most of the ones laid off were senior staff. Probably GS thinking "well, they're higher paid employees, let's cut them and keep the lower paid ones". Pretty crappy that one found out about getting laid off while he was on vacation.

Makes me wonder how much longer before they cut the subscription from PUR and shutdown the magazine for good if they're cutting costs everywhere? At this rate, wouldn't surprise me if they start closing stores before the holidays really start in November.

LMAO excellent, I was planning on buying a bunch of Southwest GCs for a vacation this weekend and naturally I didn't see this until after they're closed. This company really is just hot garbage. Business is failing so let's do our beat to slash deals and drive customers away, that'll save it!

Haven’t gotten my points for trading in games on Sunday (tx)

Also on the app it doesn’t show active offers but at the register the cashier read my active offers out loud n there was $100 off turtle beach elite pro not sure if 2 or the original

So should I buy a PS card now? It looks like only $50 is on the list though.

Cashed out most of my credit toward MS/xbox credit yesterday.

So should I buy a PS card now? It looks like only $50 is on the list though.
Cashed out most of my credit toward MS/xbox credit yesterday.
I’d say all the gaming ones are safe, hopefully iTunes is good too, I like to get some for FEH sometimes. I also feel like now would be a good time to cash out PUR points too, never know when they are going to gut that, or at least keep a kinda low balance of points.

Stores are still open so go buy them cards if you got credit to burn

I have $200 but I was planning on using that for a bunch of switch stuff when I get my Pokémon lite from bb

Also did they axe the birthday coupon? That day at the register they didn’t mention it now on the app I can’t see any offers

Stores are still open so go buy them cards if you got credit to burn

I have $200 but I was planning on using that for a bunch of switch stuff when I get my Pokémon lite from bb

Also did they axe the birthday coupon? That day at the register they didn’t mention it now on the app I can’t see any offers
I don't think they killed the birthday coupon... I got one this month

So according to Cheapy, all gift cards (not just Southwest) can no longer be bought with credit. Glad I bought some gift cards today
I bought a Buffalo Wild Wings card no problem today

I wish I’d known sooner, and the information wasn’t hush hush smh

Shame on cheapy for not posting this in the thread

Starting 8/21. RIP vacation plans. 😭

Also totally agree. Would have been nice to know before they were closed.

Cheapy doesn't handling the CAG Twitter account and the news came out today, so what do you expect?

Nobody is happy about GI losing half their stuff. They made a good magazine, great digital content, and had lots of great people working for them.
Not gonna lie, I honestly wasn't aware... seems like 5-6 yrs ago when there were still a few mags still around, GI was universally disliked (and being owned by GS didn't help). Guess maybe that sentiment wasn't as common as I thought it was or changed greatly.

Does GS sell any hotel/lodging gift cards?

Last time I got one I remember having to buy amazon kindle first then a hotels.com one from amazon.

The Netflix cards except $60 V2 was coming up with errors. While the gift card thing is maddening, it does put GS inline with all the other stores like Target and best buy. 

Apex Legends and the digital side of the industry has taught GS that treating the hardcores like shit is the key to financial success.

I haven’t been in a Best Buy really since GCU ended and apparently they’re no longer on the verge of being circuit city’d.

So went to my GS just before they closed.
Dropped 300 of my credit on eshop and xbox credit, I had pretty much decided that’s what I’d spend it on anyway..

Showed the clerk the list that was posted earlier about the new sku’s being unable to be purchased with trade credit.
He thought it was just an updated list cause amazon and eBay were already restricted. He said it wouldn’t surprise him about Sony being restricted now, I guess Sony and GS haven’t been getting along anymore.

Just anecdotal info, maybe all will be fine tomorrow. I just decided to spend the TC on what I had already figured I’d spend it on in the end anyway. Still have over $100 in TC left..

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back