2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoping for 4 ($19.99 titles) for $40 or a B2G1

Edit: My local store has the new guy close for the 1st time tonight alone. I'm skeptical of what you heard.
They could be doing them first thing in the morning before they open.

So people who don't pay tax with their trade in credit, how do you approach it? Do you just say,I want to apply some of my credit to the switch or preorder? OR does it not matter? It just depends on your state?
Whenever you go to buy something, all you have to do is swipe your card with your trade credit on it and the POS will remove the tax automatically. You don't have to do anything.

Does he still think sales change over on Wednesday? I knew GameStop was behind the times, but damn, that’s bad. No wonder they’re firing people left and right.
I'm sure they scheduled him an extra hour after closing tonight to just sit around and post on the GS subreddit. Wtf?

I don't understand all the hand-wringing and "sky is falling" over Gamestop. Laying people off is one of the ways you save a struggling, bloated company. They are trimming the fat, cutting costs, increasing their selection, revamping their website (for better or worse), and now literally anyone with a brain just got a whole bunch of trade credit, which after tomorrow they won't be able to spend anywhere but on games in the store or on the website.  Gamestop is going to be around for awhile yet.  Certainly through the holiday season and the release of the next gen. 

I don't understand all the hand-wringing and "sky is falling" over Gamestop. Laying people off is one of the ways you save a struggling, bloated company. They are trimming the fat, cutting costs, increasing their selection, revamping their website (for better or worse), and now literally anyone with a brain just got a whole bunch of trade credit, which after tomorrow they won't be able to spend anywhere but on games in the store or on the website. Gamestop is going to be around for awhile yet. Certainly through the holiday season and the release of the next gen.
but then where we would get all of our drama

I don't understand all the hand-wringing and "sky is falling" over Gamestop. Laying people off is one of the ways you save a struggling, bloated company. They are trimming the fat, cutting costs, increasing their selection, revamping their website (for better or worse), and now literally anyone with a brain just got a whole bunch of trade credit, which after tomorrow they won't be able to spend anywhere but on games in the store or on the website. Gamestop is going to be around for awhile yet. Certainly through the holiday season and the release of the next gen.

Everyone here knows that.

This GS situation reminds me of a story when game crazy (remember them?) closed.

I remember waking into game crazy and buying some sale games and they started trying to sell me on their MVP card (basically same as GS’s power up pro), telling me it was even on sale for 5 dollars off. Now this was the same week that there were articles coming out that Hollywood was finally closing all game crazy’s, so I explained to them that I can’t buy the MVP card because I didn’t know how much longer Game Crazy would be around as they announced they were shutting them. Lol the guys at the counter were so insulted they immediately responded with “where’d you hear that?! That’s absolutely wrong we’re not closing, we’re one of the locations that are staying open!!” They would not have any of it.

2 weeks later I came back and they were having a final out of business closing sale lol...

2 weeks later I came back and they were having a final out of business closing sale lol...
Come to think about it lol there’s another interesting thing that happened when I came back.

At this point everything was 80-90% off and I there was still a ton of stuff but i remember only picking up a few strategy guides and a game or two, and got in line only to find the guy in front of me had just “bought the remaining inventory”

Lol the cashier told me he thus couldn’t sell me what I was holding, but he did look at the guy who just bought everything and said “unless he’s ok with leaving these for you to buy”

The guy looked at me and just went “no”. Lol so I walked out empty handed. What’s crazy is he had 4-5 more of the same items I wanted to buy and still wouldn’t let me buy them. He went full El hoardo.

Man, Game Crazy was better than GS/EB Games at the time. I remember their prices being much more competitive and their return/exchange policies being more generous. They also gave away stuff, like all of the promo items that they hung in the stores.

Lol, the old Hollywood Video/Game Crazy in my Town is still here, empty but still has the same paint job on the building. They use it here and there as a office to sell used cars and also RV sales. Think they even sold fireworks in there once and used it as a Social Services office when they remodeled the regular one.

For what its worth, the kid working at the store today said they have a TON of price changes rolling out tonight. So many that they were given extra hours to do it, which rarely happens. Obviously that doesn't mean all the prices are going down, but it seems like a good chance that a lot of stuff will be cheaper tomorrow. Hopefully the next sale period includes another 4 for 20 or similar.
Too bad the the new Gamestop website is so shitty that you won't easily be able to see what all the price drops are.

Regardless of how you feel about gamestop it's not hard to conclude they wont be around much longer. You can get 3 months of Gamepass for $10 literally every 3 months. $40 all year for access to play at least half of the major releases for the year + TONS of others from previous years.

Gamestop is doing nothing to compete with that, especially with the god awful web design change that will definitely lose them business. I get that they cant lower new game prices whenever they want due to publishers word, but they can definitely lower used prices more than they do since they make all the profit in those.

Not directed at the person above me but GameStop isn't even having problems with creditors or having to consider bankruptcy right now. I can't believe anyone is legitimately worried about their trade in credit.

Not directed at the person above me but GameStop isn't even having problems with creditors or having to consider bankruptcy right now. I can't believe anyone is legitimately worried about their trade in credit right now.
They are removing the ability to USE my trade credit on things I want to spend it on... They already restricted it's use before, and doing it further now.

If I wanted to buy PSN money, seems you can't now. So what's next? can *only* be used for new games? Can only use it towards a pre-order?

I'm not worried that GS will be gone tomorrow.. i'm just worried they will further restrict my trade credit to the point where i have no use for it. FYI I don't buy anything from them cause I find better deals elsewhere and I generally don't like their practices anyway.

If it wasn't for the $5 bonus on trade credit right now i'd still have $1.27 left in my account. (that was there from last year when I converted stuff to digital after buying my X)

If/when Gamestop closes I doubt it's because they can't compete with Gamepass. You still have Playstation and Nintendo games which are soon to be the 2 top selling console this generation.

Anyone know if it’s normal for a game that you haven’t picked up to disappear from your preorders section on the app? Had Madden preordered but ended up getting it used and haven’t bothered to go to the store to get my money back.

They are removing the ability to USE my trade credit on things I want to spend it on... They already restricted it's use before, and doing it further now.

If I wanted to buy PSN money, seems you can't now. So what's next? can *only* be used for new games? Can only use it towards a pre-order?

I'm not worried that GS will be gone tomorrow.. i'm just worried they will further restrict my trade credit to the point where i have no use for it. FYI I don't buy anything from them cause I find better deals elsewhere and I generally don't like their practices anyway.

If it wasn't for the $5 bonus on trade credit right now i'd still have $1.27 left in my account. (that was there from last year when I converted stuff to digital after buying my X)
Going by Cheapy's list it only shows the $50 PSN cards

Going by Cheapy's list it only shows the $50 PSN cards
So?...

Restriction, yes?

Today $50 PSN, tomorrow $20 PSN? Whats the day after that? MS? eShop? The GS Clerk I talked to earlier about the list said it wouldn't surprise him if all Sony cards left GS soon. Sony and GS are not getting along.. Yes he thought it was odd that it only listed the $50. (Here's a thought... GS discontinues selling anything *but* the $50 PSN card.)

Look at all the other cards they are/have removed that others mentioned.

Just saying that they are restricting the usage of my trade credit. I don't buy anything for my PS4 anymore really so the PSN credit option doesn't really effect me. except for the thought of "what's next?" Is Xbox or Switch credit next? I didn't want $400+ credit sitting in a store I wouldn't buy from anyway *IF* they restrict the usage further. I just didn't want to risk it since like I said i pretty much decided to spend it on eShop/Live credit anyway. The list just gave me the push I needed to just go ahead and use it, *before* something else got added to the list.

Edit: again i dont think they are going away anytime soon.. but I just see them restricting how TC and as Omni99 reminded me... PUR certs/points can be used. (which I may dump those points tomorrow now)

If/when Gamestop closes I doubt it's because they can't compete with Gamepass. You still have Playstation and Nintendo games which are soon to be the 2 top selling console this generation.
Oh it definitely won't just be because of gamepass, but I personally believe that gamepass and things alike will be a big part of the fall of gamestop, especially if gamepass makes it's way into nintendo like its rumored to be. I actually heavily prefer physical, and I'll definitely still buy games I absolutely want physically, but things like gamepass allow me to play games I'm on the fence about without having to go into gamestop, buy the game, and then trade it if I don't like it or finished it. They've given me no reason to go back to that.

Dont get me wrong, I used to like gamestop, but due to recent changes, especially the quality of last gen games (something that doesnt get talked about enough, quality is AWFUL for 360 games received specifically from gamestop online), I could care less if they fail.

Hell, you dont even get points for trading in games in CA anymore. That's unacceptable.

Not to start an argument on here but what did you guys think would happen? The company is losing money. They're are a Video game store, yet everyone is getting cheap flights, Disney trips, food, and gift cards for other places instead of using the credit on stuff in their store. 

The CA points thing is a state law, not GS’s fault.

If it were not for the bonus money, I’d have made more selling most of my games on eBay or similar. I don’t shop there anyway.. haven’t in many years. I see your point, and I’ll agree with you on it also, but they were the top in the industry and they made a lot of bad decisions instead of being competitive. It’s what happens when you are on top and think that no matter how you treat your customers, they will only buy from you.

Maybe they should have started off with only allowing TC be used for games and currency in the main 3 online stores.

Can we still do GS credit > GameStop gift card? I figured that’s a way of getting access to these gift cards again. And I doubt you can, but can you buy GS credit > GS gift card > Amazon or kindle by chance? Looking to get full value from the card

Heads up if you guys want to do this.

A person in my area is going to every game stop stores and asking if he can check out their recent trade-in of ds and 3ds games. i just witnessed this person walked out with a stack of ds and 3ds games this evening.

The employee told me if you trade in a complete copy of DS and 3DS games, Gamestop will throw the case and manual away in the dumpster and keep the game cartridge only lol.

Heads up if you guys want to do this.

A person in my area is going to every game stop stores and asking if he can check out their recent trade-in of ds and 3ds games. i just witnessed this person walked out with a stack of ds and 3ds games this evening.

The employee told me if you trade in a complete copy of DS and 3DS games, Gamestop will throw the case and manual away in the dumpster and keep the game cartridge only lol.
Nothing new, once they run out of room for all the bulk (since the game cart is soooo much tinier) they typically trashed everything else. Ever since the GBA sections (usually behind glass in some display) were thinning out and DS was growing in size, they had to make use of the gba's shelf space, DS carts go in, everything else gets trashed. Buy a DS game online and you may get those horrible cheap knock-off DS cases, lol @ any artwork being found.

Nothing new, once they run out of room for all the bulk (since the game cart is soooo much tinier) they typically trashed everything else. Ever since the GBA sections (usually behind glass in some display) were thinning out and DS was growing in size, they had to make use of the gba's shelf space, DS carts go in, everything else gets trashed. Buy a DS game online and you may get those horrible cheap knock-off DS cases, lol @ any artwork being found.
Yea this is basically the case with all non-current gen games too sadly. Finding obscure 360 games is enough of a challenge, but finding them with a case is basically impossible. Last 4 for $10 I bought out a majority of the obscure games in my area (24+, VERY hard to find games in CA) and only one of them came with a case. Now have a stack of yellow sleeves on the ground. It's really disappointing.

Could you make serious money on this? I overheard this person talking to the employee saying he flips the manual and case on eBay.

The CA points thing is not a State law. They only ended that a few months ago, and not just in that region. ALL points on trade ins are going away at some point, as I've already pointed out they changed the official terms and conditions a long time ago, and with the website redesign all mentions of getting points on trade ins is now gone.
I thought someone else mentioned it was a state law thing right when the trade bonus started, thats why i mentioned it. (since it seems to be only 1 state ATM, and GS is/was a TX company) If they are doing away with it in all states, just another bad move.

I don’t like it anymore than you do since I like to use my trade credit for gift cards too, but that type of self entitled attitude is why GS had to put the brakes on this stuff. If everyone just traded in games and used credit on gift cards to other businesses how could GS remain solvent?

Other companies don’t let you use gift cards to buy gift cards either. GS is catching up with the times. Throwing a fit about it does, indeed, make you sound entitled.

hate to break up all the sky is falling talk, but did some of the switch games stay at $30 after the bump? noticed odyssey and mario party for the switch are still at $30, but im not sure if that is just a website error or what.

hate to break up all the sky is falling talk, but did some of the switch games stay at $30 after the bump? noticed odyssey and mario party for the switch are still at $30, but im not sure if that is just a website error or what.
The prices went back up

It was definitely $25 base yesterday

I don’t like it anymore than you do since I like to use my trade credit for gift cards too, but that type of self entitled attitude is why GS had to put the brakes on this stuff. If everyone just traded in games and used credit on gift cards to other businesses how could GS remain solvent?
By giving most people $15 on a game they put back on the shelf and sell to someone else for $54.99? Not everyone is a master flipper that shops there. Not be a long shot. Sure they lose money on some people but most people don't know how to flip nor care.

By giving most people $15 on a game they put back on the shelf and sell to someone else for $54.99? Not everyone is a master flipper that shops there. Not be a long shot. Sure they lose money on some people but most people don't know how to flip nor care.
Which $55 game is trading in for $15 credit?

Which $55 game is trading in for $15 credit?
He is exaggerating slightly but for example

NCAA 14 trades for $20 but sells for $69.99

That’s a $50 profit off of one game. This is an extreme example, but let’s not try to think GameStop loses money on trade ins. Especially if tradee requests cash.

I thought someone else mentioned it was a state law thing right when the trade bonus started, thats why i mentioned it. (since it seems to be only 1 state ATM, and GS is/was a TX company) If they are doing away with it in all states, just another bad move.
the state law was prob in reference to CA not allowing Cash Same As Credit, thats why they get a 50% bonus instead during that promo.

So?...

Restriction, yes?

Today $50 PSN, tomorrow $20 PSN? Whats the day after that? MS? eShop? The GS Clerk I talked to earlier about the list said it wouldn't surprise him if all Sony cards left GS soon. Sony and GS are not getting along.. Yes he thought it was odd that it only listed the $50. (Here's a thought... GS discontinues selling anything *but* the $50 PSN card.)

Look at all the other cards they are/have removed that others mentioned.

Just saying that they are restricting the usage of my trade credit. I don't buy anything for my PS4 anymore really so the PSN credit option doesn't really effect me. except for the thought of "what's next?" Is Xbox or Switch credit next? I didn't want $400+ credit sitting in a store I wouldn't buy from anyway *IF* they restrict the usage further. I just didn't want to risk it since like I said i pretty much decided to spend it on eShop/Live credit anyway. The list just gave me the push I needed to just go ahead and use it, *before* something else got added to the list.

Edit: again i dont think they are going away anytime soon.. but I just see them restricting how TC and as Omni99 reminded me... PUR certs/points can be used. (which I may dump those points tomorrow now)
All this whining would be understandable...if they didn't offer cash for your trades that you can spend on anything you want. But you wanted to take advantage of promos that gave you considerably more in trade credit. So you don't then get to complain you can't spend your trade credit like cash.

He is exaggerating slightly but for example

NCAA 14 trades for $20 but sells for $69.99

That’s a $50 profit off of one game. This is an extreme example, but let’s not try to think GameStop loses money on trade ins. Especially if tradee requests cash.
But cash negates the need for trade credit to other store gift card. I can trade in NCAA FB 14 for $29 credit.

He's being dramatic like many other people in this thread.

But cash negates the need for trade credit to other store gift card. I can trade in NCAA FB 14 for $29 credit.

Maybe. But that NCAA game is the outlier.. especially with the hack that allows updated college rosters. There is a reason for high demand/trade values for some games.

Maybe. But that NCAA game is the outlier.. especially with the hack that allows updated college rosters. There is a reason for high demand/trade values for some games.
Well they're arguing that it's a low trade value relative to selling price. I'm arguing that it's reasonable for a business

Sure. I was exaggerating slightly. I was trying to make the point they make profit off the trades in many circumstance. They aren't losing money on trades or barely breaking even and then losing that small profit to other store GCs. They (or should be at least) are making a decent profit off most trades done by most people.

I also don't think they will be out of business before Switch Lite comes out next month. Nor do I think they will be gone before BF.

I do think they have a tough road ahead and do seem to be in some trouble. I hope they survive. Competition is always good.

That said I wouldn't be happy if I was sitting on $1000+ in credit. I would probably look to bring that way down.

All this whining would be understandable...if they didn't offer cash for your trades that you can spend on anything you want. But you wanted to take advantage of promos that gave you considerably more in trade credit. So you don't then get to complain you can't spend your trade credit like cash.
Like I said earlier, if GS's policy on trade credit was only able to be used on games (new or used, in stock and pre-orders both) and consoles right from the start this wouldn't be an issue. I expected my TC to be used on what they told me it could be used on, not a bait and switch move. (essentially) Effectively restricting the credit usage without warning. If GS made the announcement that after a certain date i could no longer use it on certain things.. i'd be less concerned about it. The fact they are making these changes without warning is the issue to me.

I'd assume they do make something on all the gift cards to other store etc or they wouldn't have them to sell in the first place. Granted it's probably not much.

Now has anyone tried to use their TC on any of the cards listed on that list today? Cause if the list is not true, this whole conversation is for nothing.

As for the low trade in high pre-owned turn around, look at the older games. Super Mario sunshine, $12 cash (up to $16.50 credit), $49 pre-owned. There are lots of examples with older titles, look back the last few pages and people were saying they would have given others twice what GS gave them in credit on some games (even with the bonus)

And I knew the Switch price would drop...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back