2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
were you trying to do it in one transaction? I think maybe you can't use two certs on different items in the same transaction? Because I bought a $25 amazon gift card today with certs, around 4pm Eastern, no problemo.
Good chance this is the reason. I've had no problems using 2 certs on one game but the last time I tried using 2 different denominations on 2 items in the same transaction it didn't work at all.

I also definitely remember being able to use 2 $25 certs on 2 different items a couple years ago. They won't apply to one game so the POS split em up. Could be changed now.

Well, I got to 100 minutes and then they cut the phone. So that was nice.
I mentioned this a lot a few years back when I had a number of problems with GS but their CS is non-existent. The email support stopped responding to questions and they finally stopped showing it on the website altogether (not sure if it's gone or moved/I can't find it). The phone line wait times are RIDICULOUS (as you've seen). I called right at the start of their operational times once and I had to wait 44 minutes before I got in touch with a CS rep.

https://twitter.com/H2OAcidic/status/1164330182918004738

I bought a $50 PSN card with a $50 cert, but a $25 cert didn't work on a $25 Amazon card (associate tried it, wouldn't apply.
So does this for sure take away the 10%? It just says it's a new benefit...

So anyone ordered the Wii U Zelda System? Does it come with Zelda pre-installed or included? I'm still debating if I should get it as a throwaway system for the kids to abuse until I can trust them with the switch (they play Wii plenty in daycare and have destroys 1x 3DS already). 

What replaces Elite Pro though? If they get rid of my 20% off, outside of trades, I'd have no reason to shop there.

Walmart and Amazon both offer discounts launch day so guess I'll buy more from them, or wait for drops. At least GS price matches now (or at least going to?).

So anyone ordered the Wii U Zelda System? Does it come with Zelda pre-installed or included? I'm still debating if I should get it as a throwaway system for the kids to abuse until I can trust them with the switch (they play Wii plenty in daycare and have destroys 1x 3DS already).
The one I bought Had Mario Kart 8 installed, no Zelda. Someone on here said maybe the console was a Mario kart console that was swapped with a Zelda console

What replaces Elite Pro though? If they get did of my 20% off, outside of trades, I'd have no reason to shop there.

Walmart and Amazon both offer discounts launch day so guess I'll buy more from them, or wait for drops. At least GS price matches now (or at least going to?).
Maybe they will start adding the $10 reward to more new games like they are doing with Collection of Mana and past games.

I mentioned this a lot a few years back when I had a number of problems with GS but their CS is non-existent. The email support stopped responding to questions and they finally stopped showing it on the website altogether (not sure if it's gone or moved/I can't find it). The phone line wait times are RIDICULOUS (as you've seen). I called right at the start of their operational times once and I had to wait 44 minutes before I got in touch with a CS rep.

So does this for sure take away the 10%? It just says it's a new benefit...
Tbh if I don't get my money in a reasonable period, if I'm unable to get a response, I'll just go to the BBB and file a complaint. Won't do any good but they seem to respond to complaints.

Do those of you who use certs and credit towards non gamestop related items ever actually shop there? It just doesnt make sense to me why someone would use trade credit or rewards certs for non gamestop gift cards and then later down the line use money to then buy something from them. I find it much easier to just have a revolving door of trade credit to buy/return games with.
Some of us on this thread have/do/are in the multiple thousands of dollars worth of trade credit a year. There is only so much useful stuff you can get at GS, and when dealing with so many flips, we don’t really need gaming stuff.

Some of us on this thread have/do/are in the multiple thousands of dollars worth of trade credit a year. There is only so much useful stuff you can get at GS, and when dealing with so many flips, we don’t really need gaming stuff.
Are you trying to tell me you don't need a vast collection of Funko Pop's, Nintendo T-shirts, and Assassin's Creed chain wallets? Preposterous. It's like you're not even a real gamer man. You just need to level up already.

Someone here did and they said they got Mario Kart 8 installed on it.

The only unique thing from the Zelda Wii U console is the gamepad. They will just grab any ol' 32 GB console to go with it.

Someone explain the system purchase thing to get the $9.99 games 50% off or whatever... thinking about doing that tomorrow then trade all the games back in before the bonus promo ends

Is it on any system or preowned?

Are you trying to tell me you don't need a vast collection of Funko Pop's, Nintendo T-shirts, and Assassin's Creed chain wallets? Preposterous. It's like you're not even a real gamer man. You just need to level up already.
There is a thing they sell called "games" it's in the store name. I was one who had like 2k of credit back during that one special July, I used it to buy games (what a thought huh). Sure I grabbed a 500 million PS4 Pro and sold it on ebay for 1k and flipped some games to Best Buy but everything was spent at Gamestop and not on gift cards. Still around $200 left which is going towards my kids switch lite and games for Xmas.

Someone explain the system purchase thing to get the $9.99 games 50% off or whatever... thinking about doing that tomorrow then trade all the games back in before the bonus promo ends

I believe it's any console. I know for sure it's pre-owned.

There is a thing they sell called "games" it's in the store name. I was one who had like 2k of credit back during that one special July, I used it to buy games (what a thought huh). Sure I grabbed a 500 million PS4 Pro and sold it on ebay for 1k and flipped some games to Best Buy but everything was spent at Gamestop and not on gift cards. Still around $200 left which is going towards my kids switch lite and games for Xmas.
*woooosh*

that's the sound of the joke going over your head. :)

Someone here did and they said they got Mario Kart 8 installed on it.

The only unique thing from the Zelda Wii U console is the gamepad. They will just grab any ol' 32 GB console to go with it.
Yeah, it's a toss up on what you'll get. As it's a basic 32GB model in that bundle. You could get one that has either Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D World, Splatoon, Smash Bros. or nothing at all. No real way to tell until you boot up the console.

I believe it's any console. I know for sure it's pre-owned.

*woooosh*

that's the sound of the joke going over your head. :)
If they could just stay afloat until the PS5 releases or at least let me get my preorder in. I wonder what would happen when they go under and people have preorders paid in full that aren't fulfilled

If they could just stay afloat until the PS5 releases or at least let me get my preorder in. I wonder what would happen when they go under and people have preorders paid in full that aren't fulfilled

They will call you and say hey we are done come get your money. Please answer your phone.

Can anyone confirm whether a refurb fee cancels out the $5 bonus or not? I'm seeing conflicting answers.

Is it YMMV by store?

How long does the B2G1 coupon take to be delivered after re-upping Pro? Mine's up soon and I don't want that to be one of the benefits that gets "improved".

I don't think it looks so good. GameStop is hemorrhaging money and it's only a matter of time before they're going to completely change the model. A company like GameStop has no future in the retail space, employing thousands of people in stores and such, and it was clear if they wanted to last they should have closed down a vast amount of retail stores and invested deeply in the online marketplace. Niche stores aren't lasting anymore with Amazon to kill them in those spaces and with games moving to digital storefronts moreso than ever.

From everything I've seen, they can't even process PayPal without issues or restrictions.

I have no idea what would happen but likely all pre-orders would just disappear. I have no faith GameStop will honor it or credit. If anything staying around until the PS5 and then collapsing would be worse than collapsing prior, because of how much inventory will move with a new console and how many moving parts/pre-orders they'll be dealing with. I can't tell you if it will happen sooner or later but i have a feeling it will be sooner (pre-PS5) rather than later.

Can anyone confirm whether a refurb fee cancels out the $5 bonus or not? I'm seeing conflicting answers.

Is it YMMV by store?
It does not get removed, can confirm. $5 bonus regardless of quality if base price is $2 or more. My MW2 was scratched to hell and I still got a decent price.

Yeah last few days on here with all the crap about gift cards etc, no way to tell when there is a joke. Nice job though you got me....
Nah, no worries. I gotcha.

Is it YMMV by store?
If it's retro, no refurb fee will apply. Just traded a few PS2 games in earlier today, including Def Jam Fight for NY (bought at flea market for $2), and the fees were $0.00.

Is it YMMV by store?
I had a bunch of refurb fees and I still got the bonus on all of them. My guess though, is that if the refurb fee drops the base value below the $2, then you might lose the bonus.

Do those of you who use certs and credit towards non gamestop related items ever actually shop there? It just doesnt make sense to me why someone would use trade credit or rewards certs for non gamestop gift cards and then later down the line use money to then buy something from them. I find it much easier to just have a revolving door of trade credit to buy/return games with.
I don't because I don't eat at any of places they have GCs for, I don't fly Southwest, etc., but I could totally understand those who are hit by the new restriction. Plus, as some have stated, there's only so much stuff you can get from GS itself before you run out of things to buy for yourself. I got tired of eBay and Craigslist offloading, so I don't do that anymore. Hell, I pulled a Michael Scott one time by getting a PS4 for my office's white elephant. Like the rest of you all, I spend more time and energy on the process than actually enjoying the stuff I get from flipping.

I don't think it looks so good. GameStop is hemorrhaging money and it's only a matter of time before they're going to completely change the model. A company like GameStop has no future in the retail space, employing thousands of people in stores and such, and it was clear if they wanted to last they should have closed down a vast amount of retail stores and invested deeply in the online marketplace. Niche stores aren't lasting anymore with Amazon to kill them in those spaces and with games moving to digital storefronts moreso than ever.

From everything I've seen, they can't even process PayPal without issues or restrictions.

I have no idea what would happen but likely all pre-orders would just disappear. I have no faith GameStop will honor it or credit. If anything staying around until the PS5 and then collapsing would be worse than collapsing prior, because of how much inventory will move with a new console and how many moving parts/pre-orders they'll be dealing with. I can't tell you if it will happen sooner or later but i have a feeling it will be sooner (pre-PS5) rather than later.
Gamestop had 1.6Billion, with a B in cash in February. They lost 600million on paper last year, but the vast majority of that was goodwill impairment. They actual had 2.3BILLION in gross profits. They aren't hemorrhaging money. And with all the cost cutting they will have with the layoffs, they can easily make a quick turnaround.

Also, Amazon and Walmart are selling new releases at a loss. They can't keep that up forever. Well, they probably could but they wont.

Why do you think Amazon and Walmart are selling new games at a loss? Selling the games for $10 less doesn't necessarily mean they are losing money, they aren't btw. These retailers typically buy these games for 50% off MSRP. They may not be making 100% profit but they certainly aren't losing money.

Why do you think Amazon and Walmart are selling new games at a loss? Selling the games for $10 less doesn't necessarily mean they are losing money, they aren't btw. These retailers typically but these games for 50% off MSRP. They may not be making 100% profit but they certainly aren't losing money.
I managed a game department for a while and still know people in the industry and no retailer I've ever heard of is getting games for 50% off MSRP. More like 10-20%. That's why Gamestop pushes used games and accessories because that's where the money is. They use new games to get people in the store.

Gamestop had 1.6Billion, with a B in cash in February. They lost 600million on paper last year, but the vast majority of that was goodwill impairment. They actual had 2.3BILLION in gross profits. They aren't hemorrhaging money. And with all the cost cutting they will have with the layoffs, they can easily make a quick turnaround.

Also, Amazon and Walmart are selling new releases at a loss. They can't keep that up forever. Well, they probably could but they wont.
Ummm...gsdave, is that you?

Why do you think Amazon and Walmart are selling new games at a loss? Selling the games for $10 less doesn't necessarily mean they are losing money, they aren't btw. These retailers typically buy these games for 50% off MSRP. They may not be making 100% profit but they certainly aren't losing money.
ThatOneGuyWhoPullsHorseshitOutOfHisAss! You think the wholesale cost of a video game is $30? This thread just got a whole lot dumber, and that's saying something.

ThatOneGuyWhoPullsHorseshitOutOfHisAss! You think the wholesale cost of a video game is $30? This thread just got a whole lot dumber, and that's saying something.
Guess I should go into detail. Major retailers that are buying thousands of games do not pay $50 per game. Smaller stores (usually mom and pop shops) usually do but they'd be lucky to get $50, more likely they'd get $54/per game.

50% isn't the norm even for big retailers, around 50%+ is though. For retailers that typically buy large sums of games, Walmart, GameStop, Amazon, they get those great rates on wholesale games.

It isn't the norm for most but the comment was that Amazon and Walmart are losing money selling games for $10 less, they aren't based on the large wholesale discount rate they purchase them for.

Here are some articles (albeit a bit old) that goes into detail on it.

https://gamerant.com/video-game-prices-breakdown-514/ (States GameStop gets $15 for $60 sales not including the "$7 each [that] goes to returns (games that don't sell) and the platform (such as Xbox), and the remaining $4 goes to distribution and cost of goods.").

https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/17/15974096/what-it-costs-to-run-an-independent-video-game-store (States the average cost for those mom and pop shops, normally $50+)

https://nintendosoup.com/much-money-video-game-store-make/ (States the cost of Switch games to be between $38 to $45 for most major retailers. Also states the difference in pricing between smaller stores vs big retailers).

I'm not really one to flip games, or one to go to Gamestop much in general, but this $5 deal has my interest. I'm thinking about heading over and liquidating the majority of my Xbox 360 stock, since upon looking at it, while amazing memories the games hold, I realized I'm likely never going to have Xbox Live again to play them, and a lot of my favorites are on PS4 or PC anyway (Last Remnant, FF13, Resonance of Fate, games like that).

I plan on trading in about 40 games, with a good portion of them probably above the $2 baseline. I'm not a part of any programs or whatever from Gamestop, is there something I should sign up for to get more profit before I do this? Also, while I assume it's chump change compared to the big traders in here, should I do anything specific with such a large haul? Bring in 10 at a time, or 20? Should I go whenever or would I want to catch them when it's slow?

Thanks for any advice

Guess I should go into detail. Major retailers that are buying thousands of games do not pay $50 per game. Smaller stores (usually mom and pop shops) usually do but they'd be lucky to get $50, more likely they'd get $54/per game.

50% isn't the norm even for big retailers, around 50%+ is though. For retailers that typically buy large sums of games, Walmart, GameStop, Amazon, they get those great rates on wholesale games.

It isn't the norm for most but the comment was that Amazon and Walmart are losing money selling games for $10 less, they aren't based on the large wholesale discount rate they purchase them for.

Here are some articles (albeit a bit old) that goes into detail on it.
https://gamerant.com/video-game-prices-breakdown-514/ (States GameStop gets $15 for $60 sales not including the "$7 each [that] goes to returns (games that don't sell) and the platform (such as Xbox), and the remaining $4 goes to distribution and cost of goods.").
https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/17/15974096/what-it-costs-to-run-an-independent-video-game-store (States the average cost for those mom and pop shops, normally $50+)
https://nintendosoup.com/much-money-video-game-store-make/ (States the cost of Switch games to be between $38 to $45 for retailers. Also states the difference in pricing between smaller stores vs big retailers).
...from the first article:

"Many stores actually take a hit on stocking new games, which is part of the reason used game stores like GameStop offer little cash for used games but sell them at a much higher price—used game sales are what keeps the company afloat, not the revenue from new games"

...from the first article:

"Many stores actually take a hit on stocking new games, which is part of the reason used game stores like GameStop offer little cash for used games but sell them at a much higher price—used game sales are what keeps the company afloat, not the revenue from new games"
They take a hit from profits based on distribution, marketing, store space, returns, etc., Not necessarily from the wholesale price being $X. This is stated in the rest of the article that breaks down the 6 factors that goes into that price.

And yes, that is why stores like GameStop want and make more on used sales as they don't have to worry about those other factors when they are buying the games for a quarter of what they'd sell it back for.

I haven't tried it, but I don't think that card is actually blocked. The cards you pick up off the spinning rack are all POSA - point of sale activation - but the excluded $50 PSN is listed as "IA", whatever that means. If I had to guess, it might just be the codes printed on the receipt that's excluded.
I think it’s the old Station Cash cards for DCUO, etc. back when those were owned by Sony. I bet the $50 PSN works just fine.

I don't feel bad about them restricting gift cards. Abusing trade promos to game them within their own business is CAG. Doing gift card flips is SD. I feel gross over there. I don't here.

That makes sense. I'm not really into flipping so that's probably why I've never been into buying GCs. Dont even know if I've accumulated $1k in trade credit in my lifetime.

On the customer support side of things, I actually I had a positive experience with them early last month when I was dealing with exchanging a game that didn't work. Sure, they second copy they sent me also didnt work, forcing me to get a refund and try again in the future, but both calls only had me wait 5-10 minutes to get a line while the conversation only lasted 5-10 minutes as well. I know this is obviously not the case with everyone, but at least 2 people on the exchange side of things at their office in India know what they're doing.

Also, the more I think about it, I think I'd rather have a $5 off cert to be used on anything at this point compared to 10% off only preowned. The 10% is only good on certain deals like 4 for $10 and the very rare B2G1, but other than that its almost useless. Even if a preowned game is say 17.99 taken down to 16 or something with the PUR discount, I'd still rather pay the $20 for the new copy of the game especially since GS's used quality of games has SIGNIFICANTLY gone down recently.

They lost $489 million in revenue in Q3 2018, which is the most lost in a quarter since Q3 2012. Along with that, they lost $188 million in revenue in their last Q4, the holiday season where they are expected to record their strongest numbers. Cost cutting can not fundamentally change the model like GameStop needs, all of these companies like Sears, Toys R Us, and possibly GameStop needed to make years ago. GameStop can certainly lay-off every retail manager, associate, and such, but they have not invested in their network infrastructure to last. Along with this GameStop has the worst share price right now in history (unaccounted for inflation, would would actually mean the previous worse of $3.96 on Feb 7th 2003 that I'm seeing is actually in today's money $5.52, almost double the current value. GameStop isn't growing, they're shrinking and have been shrinking for several years now, with this likely to get even worse for them.

With regards to Walmart and Amazon: Walmart recorded $500B last year with Amazon recording $252B. GameStop as you said brought in over $8 billion. One of these companies could swallow up GameStop and investors wouldn't even blink.

Revenue doesn't matter when the system is like it is, and if you think GameStop is magically going to pull off something that Toys R Us couldn't pull off then all I can say is that I wish I was as optimistic as you. It'll be a terrible thing to watch them disappear but it's how it goes. People losing their jobs and hard-working individuals having sacrificed so much for this... is saddening. Don't blame the world, blame the company for how they're run.

More like breaking even hoping you buy other things in store

They lost $489 million in revenue in Q3 2018, which is the most lost in a quarter since Q3 2012. Along with that, they lost $188 million in revenue in their last Q4, the holiday season where they are expected to record their strongest numbers. Cost cutting can not fundamentally change the model like GameStop needs, all of these companies like Sears, Toys R Us, and possibly GameStop needed to make years ago. GameStop can certainly lay-off every retail manager, associate, and such, but they have not invested in their network infrastructure to last. Along with this GameStop has the worst share price right now in history (unaccounted for inflation, would would actually mean the previous worse of $3.96 on Feb 7th 2003 that I'm seeing is actually in today's money $5.52, almost double the current value. GameStop isn't growing, they're shrinking and have been shrinking for several years now, with this likely to get even worse for them.
With regards to Walmart and Amazon: Walmart recorded $500B last year with Amazon recording $252B. GameStop as you said brought in over $8 billion. One of these companies could swallow up GameStop and investors wouldn't even blink.
Revenue doesn't matter when the system is like it is, and if you think GameStop is magically going to pull off something that Toys R Us couldn't pull off then all I can say is that I wish I was as optimistic as you. It'll be a terrible thing to watch them disappear but it's how it goes. People losing their jobs and hard-working individuals having sacrificed so much for this... is saddening. Don't blame the world, blame the company for how they're run.
GameStop has about 470 million in debt while TRU had 5 billion. The debt is due around March 2021, so i suspect they can last until then at least.

If new consoles help give them a boost in 2020, then they may have a chance. I'm no financial expert or anything, but Sears and ToysRUs have/had bigger issues than GameStop. Not that GameStop couldn't end up on similar situation at some point.

I'm hoping they turn around honestly.

This post is flat out incorrect. It's usually 10-20%.

They screwed up the website with this redesign.  Is there a way to get the website to show all the stores within 100 miles that carry an item?

Edit: I figured it out.  You have to change the home store to see what other stores within the chosen radius might have the item that you're looking for.  Never mind.

According to the website, you can buy a brand new PlayStation Classic for $39.99, and the system purchase offer will apply. Might want to go that route.

I tried to do this last week, I reserved one in store and when I got there they said they couldn't do it and the only way it might work is if you paid through the app, but since I had reserved the last one at the store I was at it didnt show up as purchasable anymore so I gave up and just paid the full price, I figured getting the free madden 20 made up for it and it was still 100 bucks cheaper than any of the other xbox X bundles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back