2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone on here ever had experience ordering instrumental something online? I used trade credit to buy...and a week later
..its still processing. It says awaiting product availability....yet its still available for sale today online?

Looking at the Game Days flyer, I guess a $30 gift card for buying the Switch is as good as it's going to get this holiday. I'm trying to upgrade to the better battery life model, so the mario kart bundle (with the old version) isn't an option.

Since checking inventory is still busted, what does it mean when the app shows the Switch console in stock but online it says, "Pick up at store not available"? Is the app wrong or are consoles not able to be purchased online for pick up in store?

Looking at the Game Days flyer, I guess a $30 gift card for buying the Switch is as good as it's going to get this holiday. I'm trying to upgrade to the better battery life model, so the mario kart bundle (with the old version) isn't an option.

Since checking inventory is still busted, what does it mean when the app shows the Switch console in stock but online it says, "Pick up at store not available"? Is the app wrong or are consoles not able to be purchased online for pick up in store?
For whatever reason, Gamestop hasn't turned PickUpInStore back on for the website, so you'll have to use the app.

For whatever reason, Gamestop hasn't turned PickUpInStore back on for the website, so you'll have to use the app.
Thank you. I see it on desktop now too. Putting it in my cart shows that it's in stock for my local store, but the option to select in-store pick up does nothing. I'm going in-store to purchase anyway. Not going to chance using trade credit online! I just wanted to check inventory. Now it just has to stay in stock until the sale.

BestBuy also says in their Price Match policy that they price match local competitors and the BestBuy I went to had a Gamestop on the other side of the shopping center.
Yes, they should have honored it. Unless it was a Deal of the Day thing, then they could cite the policy where it says no "special daily or hourly sales". If you google it you can find people posted on Bestbuy's forum with similar issues and their response was that Gamestop's price should have been matched.

But you will always have better luck using online chat to get price matches. I used online chat in July to get them to price match Gamestop's price on Voez from $20 down to $10. Then later that day they happily price matched a Switch ac adapter down to $16 (it wasn't even in stock on Gamestop's website), and Valkyria Chronicles 4 Premium Edition to $20!

With all the discussion about trade limits recently, here's another topic, for anyone with personal experience.

GameStop caps their Trade-ins to $2000, or so, per rolling month.  The negative number is clearly indicated on your personal receipt.  [you get -$84, that means $84 back to your card, for games traded, etc.]

There are possible negative numbers on receipts, such as:

1)  PUR discounts

2)  Certificate discounts

3)  Returns

4)  And of course, trade-ins.

I'm sure there are others.

So here's the big question, is the $2k only for direct trade-ins, or is it inclusive to other discounts as well (mentioned above)?

As we get close to this 4/$60 sale, we're no longer peddling low value games ... now, each set of 4 games will carry around -$50 discount per set [you are getting games normally sold for $25, discounted to $12 elite+tax] ... which is going to add up fast, when each set trades in for $68. (potential $118 ding against your account per set of 4.)

If you already did BF, you can't do this too many times, essentially.

Oh well, something to ponder.  If anyone has insight, or personal experiences, please share!

edit:

I should add I'm just looking at this Christmas sale as another buy 4, sell 3, keep 1 ... 4 games cost $48+tax; sell 3 for $51, keep 1.

I don't see why anyone would buy a pre-owned phone from GS.. or even a smart watch when you see all these sales for new ones on Amazon/Wally all the time.
(edit) GS isn't successfully selling pre-owned phones.

GS dumps them on China, where they get re-purposed to make brand new phones, or there is a market for old tech tech, as-is.

Amazingly, there is an Asian market for this (and if I understand correctly, it is profitable). GS pushes this because it is profitable.

Yeah, I don't understand it either.

Trades in my state require IDs. My wife has an account on in her name, if I trade in with her account and my id, will that cause me to get banned? I’m getting close to my limit and 4 copies on my regular account. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Trades in my state require IDs. My wife has an account on in her name, if I trade in with her account and my id, will that cause me to get banned? I’m getting close to my limit and 4 copies on my regular account. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
When you cross-link accounts, there is a an assumption of singular identity. If you choose to link the accounts with your ID, both accounts will be susceptible to the single account trade limit bans.

This is from what others have said previously.

Personally, it's not a good idea, if I were you.

Dang, I've been as active as I care to be in flipping games and I've just barely pushed past 2k traded in to GS and 4k to Amazon YTD.... props to those hitting 2k per month!  :beer:

I've looked a few pages back and haven't been able to find info elsewhere, it sounds like Gamestop is doing a $5 bonus promo again? Same $2 minimum trade in value to qualify?

And what are the details of 4/$60?

GS isn't selling pre-owned phones.

GS dumps them on China, where they get re-purposed to make brand new phones, or there is a market for old tech tech, as-is.

Amazingly, there is an Asian market for this (and if I understand correctly, it is profitable). GS pushes this because it is profitable.

What are you even talking about? They have dozens of smartphone models available to ship within 24 hours.

I've looked a few pages back and haven't been able to find info elsewhere, it sounds like Gamestop is doing a $5 bonus promo again? Same $2 minimum trade in value to qualify?

And what are the details of 4/$60?
$5 bonus on switch,xbox one, ps4 with $2+ value (probably ends tomorrow 12/14). Then only switch games get the bump next week.

4/$60 starts on the 15th and is for games priced $24.99 or less.

GS isn't selling pre-owned phones.

Please stop talking out of your ass.

Please stop talking out of your ass.
Well, set me straight. What ARE they doing with these scratched, used, possibly broken / glitchy phones?

Do you think GS has a sweatshop in the US to repair phones? Perhaps all phones come into the store, in sellable condition. Enlighten me.

I suppose the Texas shop could pretty them up .. but, ... yeah I'd never buy an expensive phone from GS. I don't know anyone who has .. but carry on about how there is a marketplace. Customers clamoring to buy a used GS phone.

/peace

Yes, they should have honored it. Unless it was a Deal of the Day thing, then they could cite the policy where it says no "special daily or hourly sales". If you google it you can find people posted on Bestbuy's forum with similar issues and their response was that Gamestop's price should have been matched.

But you will always have better luck using online chat to get price matches. I used online chat in July to get them to price match Gamestop's price on Voez from $20 down to $10. Then later that day they happily price matched a Switch ac adapter down to $16 (it wasn't even in stock on Gamestop's website), and Valkyria Chronicles 4 Premium Edition to $20!
Every time I want to use BestBuy chat it always says "unavailable" for me.

Well, set me straight. What ARE the doing with these scratched, used, possibly broken / glitchy phones?

Do you think GS has a sweatshop in the US to repair phones? Perhaps all phones come into the store, in sellable condition. Enlighten me.

I suppose the Texas shop could pretty them up .. but, ... yeah I'd never buy an expensive phone from GS. I don't know anyone who has .. but carry on about how there is a marketplace. Customers clamoring to buy a used GS phone.

/peace
You think they don’t sell used phones, they do. End of discussion.

Well, set me straight. What ARE the doing with these scratched, used, possibly broken / glitchy phones?

/peace
gamestop sells phones in bulk wholesale they even have a website for it https://wholesale.gamestop.com/ you can buy lots of bulk phones there.

now who buys 100s of these phones and where do they go, i dunno, but apparently someone is happy to buy hundreds and hundreds of used older phones every month. Hope its not ISIS.

You think they don’t sell used phones, they do. End of discussion.
I think we agree they do.

Some phones are simply not resellable.

What do they do with those phones?

The whole point of my bringing this up is that it is a GS cash-grab. They are not looking long term with regards to getting phones in a sellable state, to re-sell.

They are dumping them at a profit to [other countries, China as example], where the value supersedes the cost to acquire.

Sure, they may cherry pick the phones in excellent condition that can be instantly sold (by themselves, or a 3rd party when they have excess). But to say that all their phone trade-ins get re-sold is folly.

GS is pushing so hard for tech sales. THEY HAVE A LUCRATIVE DEAL (Somewhere, for instant cash), or they wouldn't be battering their employees so badly. To them it's instant cash .. they can't wait, it's "NOW NOW NOW". GS is trying to stay afloat -- they wan't cash now, not later, or next year.

So I have a story/question for my fellow CAGs.  I had bought Indivisible for $19.99 at Gamestop on their Black Friday sale.  To my surprise, Target would then throw it on sale, themselves for $15.  I went ahead and bought it at Target and would return my Gamestop copy.  Fast forward to this past Wednesday.  Went to Gamestop to return my sealed copy of Indivisible with my receipt in hand.  The employee looks over my receipt and told me it is past 7 days, so I was no longer eligible for a return.  I said "ok" and left the store.

I didn't think that sounded correct, so while I was in my car, I decided to look up their return policy.  It clearly states that it was 30 days for new and unopened items.  I, then, go back in the store and asked about the 30 day return policy.  He tells me that only applies to defective items.  He then proceeds to tell me I can open the game and trade it in if I wanted.  I really am not a confrontational person at all, but this guy was clearly not adhering to the return policy.  He told me to look at the receipt and it would tell me it was 7 days.  I explained that the only thing the receipt said, to look up the return policy at Gamestop.com, which I did.  He asked for the game and was going to see if the system would let him do it?  And what do you know, it did.  I said thanks and was on my way.

So my question is:  Is it 7 or 30 days?  

So I have a story/question for my fellow CAGs. I had bought Indivisible for $19.99 at Gamestop on their Black Friday sale. To my surprise, Target would then throw it on sale, themselves for $15. I went ahead and bought it at Target and would return my Gamestop copy. Fast forward to this past Wednesday. Went to Gamestop to return my sealed copy of Indivisible with my receipt in hand. The employee looks over my receipt and told me it is past 7 days, so I was no longer eligible for a return. I said "ok" and left the store.

I didn't think that sounded correct, so while I was in my car, I decided to look up their return policy. It clearly states that it was 30 days for new and unopened items. I, then, go back in the store and asked about the 30 day return policy. He tells me that only applies to defective items. He then proceeds to tell me I can open the game and trade it in if I wanted. I really am not a confrontational person at all, but this guy was clearly not adhering to the return policy. He told me to look at the receipt and it would tell me it was 7 days. I explained that the only thing the receipt said, to look up the return policy at Gamestop.com, which I did. He asked for the game and was going to see if the system would let him do it? And what do you know, it did. I said thanks and was on my way.

So my question is: Is it 7 or 30 days?
7 days for used items and 30 days for new, unopened items. Sounds like he didn't want to do the return and made that up on the fly about the policy.

So I have a story/question for my fellow CAGs. I had bought Indivisible for $19.99 at Gamestop on their Black Friday sale. To my surprise, Target would then throw it on sale, themselves for $15. I went ahead and bought it at Target and would return my Gamestop copy. Fast forward to this past Wednesday. Went to Gamestop to return my sealed copy of Indivisible with my receipt in hand. The employee looks over my receipt and told me it is past 7 days, so I was no longer eligible for a return. I said "ok" and left the store.

I didn't think that sounded correct, so while I was in my car, I decided to look up their return policy. It clearly states that it was 30 days for new and unopened items. I, then, go back in the store and asked about the 30 day return policy. He tells me that only applies to defective items. He then proceeds to tell me I can open the game and trade it in if I wanted. I really am not a confrontational person at all, but this guy was clearly not adhering to the return policy. He told me to look at the receipt and it would tell me it was 7 days. I explained that the only thing the receipt said, to look up the return policy at Gamestop.com, which I did. He asked for the game and was going to see if the system would let him do it? And what do you know, it did. I said thanks and was on my way.

So my question is: Is it 7 or 30 days?
It's 30, 7 is for used on in-store purchases but all online purchase are supposed to be 30. Hope you can fill out a survey for him, sounds like it was well deserved.

It's 30, 7 is for used on in-store purchases but all online purchase are supposed to be 30. Hope you can fill out a survey for him, sounds like it was well deserved.
I don't think the person bought anything to actually warrant a receipt, unfortunately.

No receipt, no survey.

I would elect to purchase something cheap before I leave, so there would be a survey / encounter history.

The employee is also double wrong because Gamestops "7 day used, 30 day new" regular policy is trumped by the Holiday return policy, which is in effect Nov 1st - Dec 24th:

https://www.gamestop.com/deals/holiday-hub

Any product purchased between November 1 and December 24, 2019 may be returned with receipt by January 15, 2020. Product must be in resale condition. Package for new product must be unopened.

Its not a shock though that employees have no idea what their stores policies are, most are hired with little to no training.  Also many are very incentivized to lie to customers since they can get a bonus based on how well sales and trades do at the store, and returns affect that.  Just another reason why it'll be sad to see gamestop die in the next year or two, but not really a surprise.

Yep, holiday return policy. I have had to pull it up on my phone and show the associate before. They then pulled the old "ok I'll do it this time" BS. They just don't want to take the return hit (whoever processes the return gets the negative effect on their data, not the original sales person).

Regarding the survey, you used to be able to do one on the website without making a purchase but don't think it tied to a specific associate. When I was big into flipping I never pushed the issue though since a JD could easily have banned me. But one time when I wasn't doing a lot of trading, I had one of "those" encounters with a jerk associate. Since I didn't have a receipt with his info, I purchased some cheap item (.79 iirc) and when he handed me the receipt I said "Aren't you going to remind me to take the online survey for a chance to win $100? Don't worry, I'll make sure I do...."

I think we agree they do.

Some phones are simply not resellable.

What do they do with those phones?

The whole point of my bringing this up is that it is a GS cash-grab. They are not looking long term with regards to getting phones in a sellable state, to re-sell.

They are dumping them at a profit to [other countries, China as example], where the value supersedes the cost to acquire.

Sure, they may cherry pick the phones in excellent condition that can be instantly sold (by themselves, or a 3rd party when they have excess). But to say that all their phone trade-ins get re-sold is folly.
I don't think anyone is saying that. But you directly stated - in your first sentence - that they don't sell preowned phones, which was straight up not true.

With all the discussion about trade limits recently, here's another topic, for anyone with personal experience.

GameStop caps their Trade-ins to $2000, or so, per rolling month. The negative number is clearly indicated on your personal receipt. [you get -$84, that means $84 back to your card, for games traded, etc.]

There are possible negative numbers on receipts, such as:

1) PUR discounts

2) Certificate discounts

3) Returns

4) And of course, trade-ins.

I'm sure there are others.

So here's the big question, is the $2k only for direct trade-ins, or is it inclusive to other discounts as well (mentioned above)?

As we get close to this 4/$60 sale, we're no longer peddling low value games ... now, each set of 4 games will carry around -$50 discount per set [you are getting games normally sold for $25, discounted to $12 elite+tax] ... which is going to add up fast, when each set trades in for $68. (potential $118 ding against your account per set of 4.)

If you already did BF, you can't do this too many times, essentially.

Oh well, something to ponder. If anyone has insight, or personal experiences, please share!

edit:

I should add I'm just looking at this Christmas sale as another buy 4, sell 3, keep 1 ... 4 games cost $48+tax; sell 3 for $51, keep 1.
Had about $1970 in trades with over $400 in returns and $200 in PUR discounts and was not trade banned (Just tested today after some trades in November expired). I am almost certain that only trade-ins count toward the trade limit.

I don't think anyone is saying that. But you directly stated - in your first sentence - that they don't sell preowned phones, which was straight up not true.
oh /snap ... indeed, editted, to say they don't "successfully" sell pre-owned phones.

You are totally correct, they sell them. [but that's not the reason why they buy thousands per week, IMO]

My mishap. Apologies all around.

The employee is also double wrong because Gamestops "7 day used, 30 day new" regular policy is trumped by the Holiday return policy, which is in effect Nov 1st - Dec 24th:
https://www.gamestop.com/deals/holiday-hub

Any product purchased between November 1 and December 24, 2019 may be returned with receipt by January 15, 2020. Product must be in resale condition. Package for new product must be unopened.

Its not a shock though that employees have no idea what their stores policies are, most are hired with little to no training. Also many are very incentivized to lie to customers since they can get a bonus based on how well sales and trades do at the store, and returns affect that. Just another reason why it'll be sad to see gamestop die in the next year or two, but not really a surprise.
Exactly, that's why I'm renting Death Stranding until the 15th. I also asked for a gift receipt to not have to explain myself.

Not much but thanks to the local pawn shops, thrift stores, and Facebook Marketplace listings, I got $79 credit on a $32 investment. I would have had more but decided to keep quite a few games. Actually, I got a few dollars more than expected as Fallout 4 still got a $5 trade bonus. I was going to just chuck it into my garage sale pile.

So I was stupid and forgot that reward certs only apply to ONE item (not to mention that I also forgot the advice of don't use certs with promos), and I tried to see if a $15 off preowned would bring down my price for the 4/$20 I was doing. It didn't.

So, now I have a $15 off a preowned item in my account that expires 12/31. What's the best way to make use of this if I'm not actually looking to get anything?

So I was stupid and forgot that reward certs only apply to ONE item (not to mention that I also forgot the advice of don't use certs with promos), and I tried to see if a $15 off preowned would bring down my price for the 4/$20 I was doing. It didn't.

So, now I have a $15 off a preowned item in my account that expires 12/31. What's the best way to make use of this if I'm not actually looking to get anything?
Buy Forza horizon 4 and trade it back in

Had about $1970 in trades with over $400 in returns and $200 in PUR discounts and was not trade banned (Just tested today after some trades in November expired). I am almost certain that only trade-ins count toward the trade limit.
Much appreciated ! Full steam !

There are a bunch of $25 games I'd like to at least try, but am unwilling to shell money out for. Gonna be quite a week, playtesting a dozen games a day to find personal matches :)

The vast majority seem to trade back slightly more than cost (the best set is +$17 per 4, most are a +few dollars more). There are about 50-60 games involved, or used to be. GameStop messed with values recently. I will need to update my list again.

Also of note, multiple Switch games are on sale next week for under $30 NEW, possibly meaning the used versions may be $24.99 or less. Some $40-$50 games are advertised as $24.99 NEW. Both Final Fantasies, as example.

FF's have a base of $12. It's unclear if GS will lower the preowned cost to below NEW.

Next weeks ad was linked earlier. But here it is again:

https://www.gamestop.com/deals/gamestop-sale

Just download the PDF, save yourself asking why it's laggy / glitchy.

Well, we'll see how it goes!

Tempted to get death stranding or Star wars. Have about $40 in credit.

Death stranding seems like a game that's very boring imo. I know fanboys talk about how it's GOTY, but gameplay looks bad.

Was never a fan of star wars, but huge fan of respawn(TF2), so interested to see how respawn did.

Tempted to get death stranding or Star wars. Have about $40 in credit.
Death stranding seems like a game that's very boring imo. I know fanboys talk about how it's GOTY, but gameplay looks bad.
Was never a fan of star wars, but huge fan of respawn(TF2), so interested to see how respawn did.
Here’s the thing, it’s boring to watch but when you keep playing it and get past chapter 3, good luck trying to stop playing the game. It’s hella addicting.

Ugh game days kinda blows ill grab Ghostbusters since i skipped it.

I want that powerA kit switch lite but none of my stores have that color in of course.

Here’s the thing, it’s boring to watch but when you keep playing it and get past chapter 3, good luck trying to stop playing the game. It’s hella addicting.
seconding this. even at a certain point in chapter 3 it can happen, it really is something that has to be experienced and not watched. 6-7 hours can pass by before you've realized it

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back