2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
All I can tell you is to keep trying. You will eventually get someone on the phone that will help you. I have limited experience with gamestop customer service but they have taken care of any issue I've had. I might have had one women end the call with me because in the middle of my sentence, it went to the how was your experience survey but I called up again and the next guy took care of my problem. Don't give up so easily.

All I can tell you is to keep trying. You will eventually get someone on the phone that will help you. I have limited experience with gamestop customer service but they have taken care of any issue I've had. I might have had one women end the call with me because in the middle of my sentence, it went to the how was your experience survey but I called up again and the next guy took care of my problem. Don't give up so easily.
You think I gave up easily? LOL I'm a lawyer. I've called 5x already. 1 person said they would send something to the "back office" whatever the heck that means. I'm going to keep calling until someone knows what the heck they're supposed to do.

You think I gave up easily? LOL I'm a lawyer. I've called 5x already. 1 person said they would send something to the "back office" whatever the heck that means. I'm going to keep calling until someone knows what the heck they're supposed to do.
If so, please report back with how they're refunding this. Especially if you used points to extend your membership initially (not that it probably matters, since I doubt they would be able to figure out how you paid for the membership).

For what it's worth, after numerous calls to customer service, I was able to get my cancelled games from the B2G2 replaced.

One was replaced for a new copy (was told that this is a one-time courtesy), so the other was swapped out for a pre-owned game of equal value that was in stock.
Thank you for mentioning this, I was able to replace my free Mario Maker that was cancelled, with Pokemon Shield. I was surprised that there was no wait time at all for customer service.

For everyone looking to cash out their PUR points, you can still use them on Amazon gift cards, as mentioned before by others. I had enough points for a $20 PUR cert. ($15 & $5 certs) and then I paid the difference with cash (minimum is $25 Amazon cards).

I called again and she was able to submit my refund that I made last week for elite pro renewal. She said they will send me a check even though I paid with PayPal

I called again and she was able to submit my refund that I made last week for elite pro renewal. She said they will send me a check even though I paid with PayPal
FYI - corporate checks take a few weeks to process and get sent. It might be a while.

The only reason I kept the Elite Pro was for the 20% off preowned.  Without it, no reason to shop there for me.   I'm just worried that if I cancel, and lose access to my account, I'll lose the few preorders (that are fully paid off) that I have left.

After a very long time, I finally get to see the hated hydra that is GameStop slip into ruin. I only lament the state that the second-hand games industry will be in after the chaos of GameStop's inevitable collapse. Anyone with "credit" at GameStop, cash out NOW.

GameStop's twisted business model basically knee-capped the second-hand games industry, turning it from a vibrant scene where collectors could save money to a glorified and over-priced rental service for the latest Call of Duty and Madden entries. Just shameful. All of the stores that actually traded in older consoles, PC games, and cartridges got driven out of business or bout up by GameStop and their quasi-monopoly. I for one, will not miss them and what they did to used games. I only lament that it will likely be a few years before we see a resurgence in smaller used-game stores to take advantage of the vacuum.

I also feel bad for all of the stock and product that is going to be lost/destroyed as a result of their collapse. I've personally seen GameStop employees toss collectible items and complete cases in the garbage before. When I tried to buy a copy of "The World Ends with You" for the DS, the employee behind the counter couldn't find the cartridge. Into the garbage went the case, with the undamaged slip-cover and original instruction booklet! If stores start getting liquidated, we will see a similar scenario play out writ-large. And all of the older games that they stockpiled for their web-store? Big fat question mark on how many of those DON'T end up in a land-fill.

Nahhh Gamestop is 4444 life at least for a few more years.

Was able to pad my game collection with 200 games for $200 at a store closing these last 2 days.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I have no more reason to shop there because the local stores will now be a better option

No it doesn't. As shitty as the changes have been, you'll still be getting a $5 cert every month that you can just use on Xbox/PSN/eShop credit. That alone is worth keeping the membership.
That's not what I paid or signed up for. I don't want a $5 certificate to use at Gamestop when I can get games, even just released titles, for cheaper elsewhere else everyday of the year. I don't care to use that cert on those credits as I don't buy or want digital titles. I only got Elite Pro for the 20% off used games. Without that it's worthless to me.

It might be worth keeping for you, which I don't fault you for, but means nothing to me. The other problem is I paid $30/year for a service that is now $15/year with less stuff than what I initially paid for. I can easily get a refund for the $30 I paid, make another account for $15 and save $15 as I'm not getting the service I paid for.

I'm amazed anyone can justify losing $15 in a service that is no longer available. Gamestop doesn't need your business that bad.

That's not what I paid or signed up for. I don't want a $5 certificate to use at Gamestop when I can get games, even just released titles, for cheaper elsewhere everyday of the year. I don't care to use that cert on those credits as I don't buy or want digital titles. I only got Elite Pro for the 20% off used games. Without that it's worthless to me.

It might be worth keeping for you, which I don't fault you for, but means nothing to me. The other problem is I paid $30/year for a service that is now $15/year with less stuff than what I initially paid for. I can easily get a refund for the $30 I paid, make another account for $15 and save $15 as I'm not getting the service I paid for.

I'm amazed anyone can justify losing $15 in a service that is no longer available. Gamestop doesn't need your business that bad.
Not as easy as it sounds, actually

After a very long time, I finally get to see the hated hydra that is GameStop slip into ruin. I only lament the state that the second-hand games industry will be in after the chaos of GameStop's inevitable collapse. Anyone with "credit" at GameStop, cash out NOW.

GameStop's twisted business model basically knee-capped the second-hand games industry, turning it from a vibrant scene where collectors could save money to a glorified and over-priced rental service for the latest Call of Duty and Madden entries. Just shameful. All of the stores that actually traded in older consoles, PC games, and cartridges got driven out of business or bout up by GameStop and their quasi-monopoly. I for one, will not miss them and what they did to used games. I only lament that it will likely be a few years before we see a resurgence in smaller used-game stores to take advantage of the vacuum.

I also feel bad for all of the stock and product that is going to be lost/destroyed as a result of their collapse. I've personally seen GameStop employees toss collectible items and complete cases in the garbage before. When I tried to buy a copy of "The World Ends with You" for the DS, the employee behind the counter couldn't find the cartridge. Into the garbage went the case, with the undamaged slip-cover and original instruction booklet! If stores start getting liquidated, we will see a similar scenario play out writ-large. And all of the older games that they stockpiled for their web-store? Big fat question mark on how many of those DON'T end up in a land-fill.
Those mom-n-pop stores all suck, as they are all over priced and give shitty trade in values.

A lot of people complain about gamestop, but they're not that bad.

Not as easy as it sounds, actually
Unfortunately. Going to cash out my points tomorrow and get an Amazon gift card with it, if that doesn't work I'll probably buy something I don't need to trade into Amazon.

Also going to request a refund for the time I have left in store and hope it works out. DM and I are good friends so hopefully he can do something for me.

Hey, when you search for a game on the website, it shows you whether it's available new or used again. Finally.
Thanks for the update, can finally order some new stuff I've been eyeing but didn't want to drive for. Might use my points on that instead.

EDIT: Well that sucks. All the items I wanted are used and not brand new. I wanted some controllers to collect and the website when they didn't allow pickup for the holidays showed them as being new but I guess that wasn't true. They were all used. Psh, Amazon credit it is.

Seems like they should have just converted 1 year of elite directly into 2 years of NEW Pro or just given an option to convert years into Points

So is cag16 dead for good? I think the longest it was nuked for was 2 weeks and we're already past that this time. Anyone know if Cheapy has reached out to them about it?

My PUR have decreased by 5000 in the last week, so that's cool. Guess I need to contact support about another issue they won't resolve.
Mine dropped sometime today too. But not by an even amount; it was 14615 this morning when I was trying to find something to pair with one of the cheap Dualshock 4's and now it's 9881, or 4734 points, or nearly a third of my total. =( WTF?

EDIT: Since I didn't take a screenshot of the old points total, I was wondering how I'd actually document how many points I had this morning, but thankfully GameStop sent me a `PowerUp Rewards' e-mail 6 hours ago showing the old point total! Not sure if that'll matter, but at least there's some hope.

Hmm...I called their help line and it's saying that if there are missing points to e-mail [email protected] instead of talking to someone... That seems new. They've fixed points issues for me on the phone in the past.

Random but I just checked my active offers. I got a $10 off any one item welcome coupon that came in on 01/11/20. Not sure if that's been reported before. Looks like it works on any item in store, not sure if I can use it on gift cards.

Why are people talking like they're going out of business right now...?
Because their revenue year-over-year dropped by around 27%, and their per-store revenue dropped by around 25%, despite them closing down a lot of stores. Also, they felt the need to close down a lot of stores, and are continuing to close down even more stores.

A revenue drop of that size is almost unheard of, and is definitely not a sign of a healthy business. Scaling back the number of stores will likely help to address some of the issue, as that will also reduce operating costs. But we're still talking about a drastic reduction in money coming in for a business that traditionally relies on relatively narrow margins. (physical goods in general) And of course, the big culprit for this shift is likely the growth of digital marketplaces. And that trend is likely only going to continue, as companies like Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Steam, Epic, etc... all push consumers toward digital purchases and recurring subscriptions. (pretty none of which GameStop gets to benefit from)

So, yeah, that's why.

GameStop corporate is trying to blame their massive dip in revenue on it being a "slump" year just before the launch of new console hardware. But the problem with that theory is that both the upcoming systems are expected to have full backwards compatibility with current games, so software sales shouldn't really be slumping. Also, hardware sales have drastically lower margins, so most revenue doesn't come from those anyway. The only real boost from a fresh hardware launch comes from people buying games to go along with their fancy new systems. And of course, the majority of GameStop's revenue doesn't come from new hardware or new software sales anyhow, it comes from re-selling used titles.

To see such a drastic dip in revenue, GameStop's used-games sales would have had to have taken a serious hit. And that CAN be credited to a steady rise in digital sales. You can't sell a digital copy to GameStop. And it's becoming increasingly clear that Funko-Pop and maquette sales can't make up the difference.

Random but I just checked my active offers. I got a $10 off any one item welcome coupon that came in on 01/11/20. Not sure if that's been reported before. Looks like it works on any item in store, not sure if I can use it on gift cards.
Been mentioned already. I was able to use it towards amazon GC.

I don't know any details on their used sales numbers, but I am usually surprised by how many "commoners" I see come into gamestop wanting to buy a new system and also buy a few new games and accessories along with it.  I think there is some truth to the idea that a lot of people have gotten bored with the current gen and that traffic is gone from stores until the next gen hits.

For those still holding out hope, Elite is officially dead on 1/16. They updated the PUR terms and conditions yesterday:

PowerUp Rewards Elite Pro Membership

As of August 2018, PowerUp Rewards no longer offers the Elite Pro membership tier and as of January 16, 2020 PowerUp Rewards will no longer honor Elite tier status or benefits.

If you previously purchased an Elite Pro membership and your membership has not expired, you have been grandfathered into the NEW Pro membership. If you prefer not to participate in the NEW Pro tier, you may cancel your subscription and request a refund of your Elite Pro Membership by contacting Guest Care.

https://www.gamestop.com/TermsConditions.html
Fully aware of how this reads, but taking into account how the reward certs, offers, etc. will often say or have contradicting end dates on the website vs app and so on, is TODAY, the 15th, the last day for Elite, or is tomorrow, the 16th, the last day for elite? I was just in a store and the SL of that store and the SL of another store I go to were there, and they said their new fiscal quarter starts Friday the 17th, so they thought Elite might still work tomorrow. Of course we can check at 10am EST tomorrow or maybe online tonight?

Every former Elite Pro member should have gotten one. It's a compensation attempt after taking away the old perks, giving us new and (somehow) improved ones.

I already spent mine, it works on anything in store.

Mine dropped sometime today too. But not by an even amount; it was 14615 this morning when I was trying to find something to pair with one of the cheap Dualshock 4's and now it's 9881, or 4734 points, or nearly a third of my total. =( WTF?

EDIT: Since I didn't take a screenshot of the old points total, I was wondering how I'd actually document how many points I had this morning, but thankfully GameStop sent me a `PowerUp Rewards' e-mail 6 hours ago showing the old point total! Not sure if that'll matter, but at least there's some hope.

Hmm...I called their help line and it's saying that if there are missing points to e-mail [email protected] instead of talking to someone... That seems new. They've fixed points issues for me on the phone in the past.
Got a response e-mail asking for my powerup rewards number (oops!) and I went to my account to get it and my points dropped again. Now it's showing as 8,067! You've got to be kidding! Well, at least I got an initial response pretty quickly, so hopefully it'll get fixed.

Including pre orders?
Sorry, I can't offer info on that. Someone a few post up said they could use it for Amazon gift cards. So pre-orders aren't really far off. (usually they can get redeemed for neither -- so if one works, who knows?)

The wording on the voucher was different from other regular point coupons. But it did mention it could only be usable for an item in store (fine line: excluding online).

Worth a try I guess.

Got a response e-mail asking for my powerup rewards number (oops!) and I went to my account to get it and my points dropped again. Now it's showing as 8,067! You've got to be kidding! Well, at least I got an initial response pretty quickly, so hopefully it'll get fixed.
Is someone siphoning points from your account?

I've heard about shady employees sneaking in a GPC using a customers existing points.

When you log onto your account, click Rewards Activity.

Called CS and on the first call I was able to swap out my 3 canceled B2G2 switch games for 2 pokemon sword and 1 pokemon shield. For some reason I had to pay $7 in tax which I didn't want to at first since it was originally paid, but CS chick didnt really know wtf she was doing so I paid it in trade credit. She refunded me $7 in points however as a courtesy, which was nice. 

I then asked about the 5+ 0 point transactions I got in January, made sense tho since I bought a lot of stuff with rewards certs which zeroed the value out so I probably shouldnt get points??? she gave me 2600 points for this, which was wrong as that was the regular pro point value but whatever. 

Then I went around looking for retro games to buy and found a rare $80 ps2 game at one store, some cib ps1 games, and a couple gamecube. Really fucking sucks that elite is going away, gives me absolutely no incentive to buy at gamestop anymore without a 20% discount... I saved enough credit for a ps5 and bought out a store that was closing so hopefully i can flip all these 100+ ps4 and xbone games when a new $5 promo arises, which should net me a good amount of store credit that ill use on new games or the xbox series x. Ahhh gamestop, the gift that keeps on giving. It's def been a good ride. 

Checking out my PUR Pro on the website, it looks they added 5k points to it. I had redeemed 5k points for a cert on the 4th and it expires at the end of March. The last order for in-store pickup I placed was December 26th for NBA 2K20 for XB1.

Noticed my points have gone down some random amount today as well. Somewhere in the range of 500-ish points, but it’s not an exact number, and nothing shows up in the activity history. I was on the verge of hitting 10,000 (so I could cash them out ASAP), but now I gotta buy some more stuff I guess.

Is the website taking credit as payment again?

Called CS and on the first call I was able to swap out my 3 canceled B2G2 switch games for 2 pokemon sword and 1 pokemon shield. For some reason I had to pay $7 in tax which I didn't want to at first since it was originally paid, but CS chick didnt really know wtf she was doing so I paid it in trade credit. She refunded me $7 in points however as a courtesy, which was nice.

I then asked about the 5+ 0 point transactions I got in January, made sense tho since I bought a lot of stuff with rewards certs which zeroed the value out so I probably shouldnt get points??? she gave me 2600 points for this, which was wrong as that was the regular pro point value but whatever.

Then I went around looking for retro games to buy and found a rare $80 ps2 game at one store, some cib ps1 games, and a couple gamecube. Really fucking sucks that elite is going away, gives me absolutely no incentive to buy at gamestop anymore without a 20% discount... I saved enough credit for a ps5 and bought out a store that was closing so hopefully i can flip all these 100+ ps4 and xbone games when a new $5 promo arises, which should net me a good amount of store credit that ill use on new games or the xbox series x. Ahhh gamestop, the gift that keeps on giving. It's def been a good ride.
You're quite hopeful that a PS4 +$5 bonus will happen :)

If anything, IMO, it will be another Switch only promotion. Stores around me have walls of PS4 / XB1 .. and their Switch section is utterly wiped out. GS did recuperate from the Switch flips, but they realistically only went from 10 pre-owned games 2 weeks ago to about 30 today. And they are shitty games.

Honestly 80-90% don't have original cases to boot. Not very attractive.

Noticed my points have gone down some random amount today as well. Somewhere in the range of 500-ish points, but it’s not an exact number, and nothing shows up in the activity history. I was on the verge of hitting 10,000 (so I could cash them out ASAP), but now I gotta buy some more stuff I guess.

Is the website taking credit as payment again?
If it's convenient, I'd recommend just going to a physical store to place your online order.

Naturally, try online from home first. It's very frustrating when it doesn't work. It seems to get stuck in a loop for days+. Very unreliable - and annoying when the software clears your basket when a transaction fails.

The GS game assistant can take your full order for you .. and you can pay with store credit - swipe your PUR card, done!

[I know, I know, this defeats the purpose of on-line shopping ... I agree]

The Rewards Activity page only goes back 10 entries thou, but everything I can see there looks reasonable. There's no entry since the 10th of January, so it doesn't look like someone is using my points.

Interestingly, my `Lifetime Points' are going down by the same amount as my current Points, so it's like some of them are just vanishing completely. =( I guess that there could just be entries that disappeared from my Rewards Activity and I wouldn't be able to tell you where they'd be. Unfortunately there's no points total on that page for each entry so there's no way to know what the total was at any particular point in time. The numbers for the entries are much more even than the point changes that I'm seeing though. All of them are multiples of 10 for instance, whereas I've lost 4734 ponts the first time and 1814 this last time.

In an amazing display of investigative competence, whoever it is that's looking into it for me at gamestop just got back to me with the response that he is `not able to see any unauthorized transactions' on my account. Well, no kidding. That's exactly what I mentioned when I e-mailed in the first place!

Is someone siphoning points from your account?

I've heard about shady employees sneaking in a GPC using a customers existing points.

When you log onto your account, click Rewards Activity.

You're quite hopeful that a PS4 +$5 bonus will happen :)

If anything, IMO, it will be another Switch only promotion. Stores around me have walls of PS4 / XB1 .. and their Switch section is utterly wiped out. GS did recuperate from the Switch flips, but they realistically only went from 10 pre-owned games 2 weeks ago to about 30 today. And they are shitty games.

Honestly 80-90% don't have original cases to boot. Not very attractive.
Well, even if there is no $5 bonus, I made it a mission to only get games that trade in for over $2, so ill just be doubling the money I paid, which is cool with me and racking up points. Also got a couple that trade in for a hell of a lot more. I have 5 games that will net me 1/3 of the credit I spent to buy all these, which is hilarious in itself. True majority did not have cases. I might toss the ones that did into the collection though. Cant beat cib games for $1.

Which closing location?
Honestly go to any location thats closing and is located in the hood. I bet you that they'll still have shit.

Went to a Closing GS today (Woburn, MA) and the CSRs there had no clue about the 5/$5 promo... only 60% used games / 50% new.  Left emptyhanded.  Would've tried to see if it rang up that way but only had a minute or two before work and the store was really barren anyway

Jealous of those who knew about the 5 for $5 sale at closing GS' on Sunday when it first started. I went upon opening on Monday to all three closing stores in the Bay Area, and all of them were already completely empty. Scored like 16 360 games a couple PS4 games (that will be traded in next +$5 promo) for $20 total. Also picked up a new (gutted) copy of Dark Souls remastered for $10.

On a side note, I had about $300 in TC that I was saving towards a next gen console. Welp, I spent it all on 60+ 4 for 10/20 games last week, and have probably enough games to open my own GS.
which stores did you go to?

Aaaand now I've got 6,441 Points. WTAF?!?!

Steve

The Rewards Activity page only goes back 10 entries thou, but everything I can see there looks reasonable. There's no entry since the 10th of January, so it doesn't look like someone is using my points.

Interestingly, my `Lifetime Points' are going down by the same amount as my current Points, so it's like some of them are just vanishing completely. =( I guess that there could just be entries that disappeared from my Rewards Activity and I wouldn't be able to tell you where they'd be. Unfortunately there's no points total on that page for each entry so there's no way to know what the total was at any particular point in time. The numbers for the entries are much more even than the point changes that I'm seeing though. All of them are multiples of 10 for instance, whereas I've lost 4734 ponts the first time and 1814 this last time.

In an amazing display of investigative competence, whoever it is that's looking into it for me at gamestop just got back to me with the response that he is `not able to see any unauthorized transactions' on my account. Well, no kidding. That's exactly what I mentioned when I e-mailed in the first place!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back