2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
That I did not know as I wouldn't know how they could track it. She was with her manager who is an asshole and initially rang me up.

I will swing by today though as I do not want her to get fired she was very nice.
good luck man, good to see you take care of it. I’m sure she will appreciate it.

Guess I'll keep elite pro for now. Just traded in some games and did get the 20% extra elite pro trade in value on all the games.
You got 10% for Pro + the 10% bonus trade they have going on right now. I traded in a game last week and the system said I still had Elite but I only got 10% trade as a Pro member.

That I did not know as I wouldn't know how they could track it. She was with her manager who is an asshole and initially rang me up.

I will swing by today though as I do not want her to get fired she was very nice.
This is an honorable thing to do, but odds are she will get in more trouble (fired) if you bring it to their attention. It would normally just come off as shrink in a stock inventory anyway. I would personally just leave her a glowing review. [I would also not brag about it on the internet...]

Cashed out all of my credit and rewards against e-shop and two Switch Lites. Glad to be done as the store offers no benefits outside of capitalizing on their pricing mistakes by flipping games around.

In the end, I still think this is a horribly run company with little to no respect for their consumers. Their advertising is always misleading, and sometimes intentionally wrong. The cashiers are repeatedly lying to my face about details of the new power-up rewards. The previous program that we all paid for always says "subject to change at any time", which is exactly what they've done. Revoke the discounts we paid for, say that you'll issue coupons and then don't. Run a buy two get two sale and then cancel out 30% of the orders that come through. Even the gamestop reddit is heavily censored and posts on these subjects are quickly moderated.

For those of you holding onto credit - beware. Outside of the holidays, all recent promos have had a purpose of bringing on assets and cash without having to expend any resources - see the current "trade in for a future game" promo. During a bankruptcy process, stores will stop honoring rewards first, and then store credit. We aren't quite there yet, but I'm not convinced they make it into the next generation.

I'm surprised to see so much white knighting for gamestop on here. Given the number of times I've been ripped off, lied to, sold counterfeit games, sold used games disguised as "new", sold blatantly broken consoles and games, I'm very willing to stomp on their grave on the way out. Thanks for all the free switch games.

randomly have more points in my account.  Looks like overnight it got bumped by 1000...because I was at about 3800 and now 4800.  Guess I should cash out for a 5 cert before they take them back :)

edit: they disappeared too quick

Does anybody have an update for the people who still haven't received their $5 certificates? I reupped my membership in October and I still haven't gotten it yet.

Also, the other day I went to trade in two controls and the guy tried to tell me that my nearly brand new dual-shock 4 was starting to have stick drift and he'd have to take it at a reduced value. I asked for it back and then the two of them seemed to be mumbling like they thought I was just going to trade it no questions asked.

Does anybody have an update for the people who still haven't received their $5 certificates? I reupped my membership in October and I still haven't gotten it yet.

Also, the other day I went to trade in two controls and the guy tried to tell me that my nearly brand new dual-shock 4 was starting to have stick drift and he'd have to take it at a reduced value. I asked for it back and then the two of them seemed to be mumbling like they thought I was just going to trade it no questions asked.
I emailed to ask about the birthday coupon and was told it had been discontinued. And that the $5 mobthly coupon would start coming in February. 🙄

My Pro ends in March so I'm not worried as I'm gladly walking away.

Can I use a $5 monthly and $10 of any item on b2g1?
IIRC certs come off the most expensive item. So in your case, you would have to get a game that is $15 more expensive than the second most expensive game. The free item would obviously have to be equal to, or less than, the second most expensive game.

Nothing for me. I re-upped in Sept. I'm also supposed to get a B-day coupon (bday in Feb but I feel like I've seen people get it early) I think and haven't gotten that in years.

Been in talks with gamestop email customer service, and they're supposedly cancelling my elite membership and sending me a virtual gift card within the next couple days. Will post back here if/when I get my "refund".

Nothing for me. I re-upped in Sept. I'm also supposed to get a B-day coupon (bday in Feb but I feel like I've seen people get it early) I think and haven't gotten that in years.
My birthday was 4 months ago and I never received a coupon. Before last year, I generally got birthday coupons... so not real sure what the deal is.

Been in talks with gamestop email customer service, and they're supposedly cancelling my elite membership and sending me a virtual gift card within the next couple days. Will post back here if/when I get my "refund".

My birthday was 4 months ago and I never received a coupon. Before last year, I generally got birthday coupons... so not real sure what the deal is.
I’ve been a pro member for 5 years now and got 1 birthday coupon

UPDATE : Called GameStop customer service and was told that Power Up Rewards members not receiving the monthly $5.00 coupon for the month of January was a known widespread issue. The rep basically said there's nothing they can do but I would be getting the $5.00 coupon in February. Told her thats unacceptable and false advertisement and illegal. She then, as a one time courtesy, issued me 5,000 rewards points.
Ugh, still nothing in my account's active offers, I think I will wait a week and see about that. Their darned "$5 monthly Reward Certificates are almost here!" email claimed things stared "JANUARY 16, 2020" and you could use it on pre-owned when it launches.

While there is a 4,000 points $5 pre-owned coupon, at 5,000 they have only those BROKEN "online only" $5 coupons... And there is NO "regular" coupon for that point amount unlike the $10/$15/etc ones.

At least I am assuming they are still broken, two times I have tried the "online only" ones only to end up having to call customer service to get my points back.

Ugh, still nothing in my account's active offers, I think I will wait a week and see about that. Their darned "$5 monthly Reward Certificates are almost here!" email claimed things stared "JANUARY 16, 2020" and you could use it on pre-owned when it launches.

While there is a 4,000 points $5 pre-owned coupon, at 5,000 they have only those BROKEN "online only" $5 coupons... And there is NO "regular" coupon for that point amount unlike the $10/$15/etc ones.

At least I am assuming they are still broken, two times I have tried the "online only" ones only to end up having to call customer service to get my points back.
The app has the regular $5 reward cert option. I had the same issue the other day with 30k pts - redeemed a $25 online then had to get the $5 through the app.

You can manipulate the tags in the URL to get the coupon you want, even if you don't see it offered under Redeem Rewards.

I think this works best for home computers than phones. Open a reward for the category you want (ie, any item, only pre-owned, only on-line, etc..), but with the wrong $$ denomination. Then edit the $$ value in the address bar to the $$ you want, and hit Enter.

If should come up with a page for the newly desired $$.

GS's website isn't very user friendly, but there are some work-arounds.

I'll confirm it works, but I've only done it for $5 increments [5K point increments per $5 new / online .. or 4k point increments per $5 pre-owned].

You can get odd reward $$ values, never offered by their web services. Which is honestly necessary sometimes.

Kudos CAG!

I don't know about the pre-orders though.  Many people are making them .. it will kill their numbers if people cancel them later.  Hopefully people know that it's nicer to just transfer a pre-order to another game than to cancel it.

The recent flips are wonderful (OK, more volume required without Elite ... but still .. !!). Animal Crossing will be free. All the points generated made Mario Maker free too. Kudos CAG!

I think my GS's know what I'm doing, but I bribe them with GPG's, 40%'ish. They make my day, I make theirs.

I don't know about the pre-orders though. Many people are making them .. it will kill their numbers if people cancel them later. Hopefully people know that it's nicer to just transfer a pre-order to another game than to cancel it.

Also confirmed!!! -- you can stack even $0.01 (1 cent) to an existing pre-order to kick in the +$5 pre-order bonus [SL told me this trick]. For the entire trade stack you bring. I still put another $5 on an existing game, because I wasn't sure if 1 cent would help my GS friends. But it's nice to know you can just keep stacking money ontop of a game you already intend to buy (instead of making a cluster trail of pre-orders in your wake).
One of those brag posts with little useful information to the reader. 😂

Very angry at GS right now. Just returned a used game purchased without the 10% discount and realized later that I was refunded 10% less than the amount I paid. How do they go about just robbing people blind like this??? Should I call CS about this? I haven't received my $5 coupon either...

fuck  fuck  fuck  fuck  fuck  fuck  fuck

The recent flips are wonderful (OK, more volume required without Elite ... but still .. !!). Animal Crossing will be free. All the points generated made Mario Maker free too. Kudos CAG!

I think my GS's know what I'm doing, but I bribe them with GPG's, 40%'ish. They make my day, I make theirs.

I don't know about the pre-orders though. Many people are making them .. it will kill their numbers if people cancel them later. Hopefully people know that it's nicer to just transfer a pre-order to another game than to cancel it.

Also confirmed!!! -- you can stack even $0.01 (1 cent) to an existing pre-order to kick in the +$5 pre-order bonus [SL told me this trick]. For the entire trade stack you bring. I still put another $5 on an existing game, because I wasn't sure if 1 cent would help my GS friends. But it's nice to know you can just keep stacking money ontop of a game you already intend to buy (instead of making a cluster trail of pre-orders in your wake).
SueMana, is that you?

I've only done one massive trade in with this promo, but this particular store wouldn't let me put any of the $5 bonuses on a trade card or to purchase anything - so I was forced to pre-order a bunch of random games fully... wasn't about to say "f-this" and go to another store after the guy nit picked every game for refurb and didn't mark down a single one.

So yea, I do plan to cancel most of those pre-orders. :bomb: They wouldn't even let me pre-order multiple copies of the same game which I would have preferred.

I've only done one massive trade in with this promo, but this particular store wouldn't let me put any of the $5 bonuses on a trade card or to purchase anything - so I was forced to pre-order a bunch of random games fully... wasn't about to say "f-this" and go to another store after the guy nit picked every game for refurb and didn't mark down a single one.

So yea, I do plan to cancel most of those pre-orders. :bomb: They wouldn't even let me pre-order multiple copies of the same game which I would have preferred.
I don't think they like you very much.

What is up with these stores making up their own rules for this crap. Luckily GameStop is really responsive, at least in my experience, about doing surveys and replying to poor experiences.

I'd cancel all the preorders though too. Not really advertised but you can also cancel those preorders at another store. They would put the credit on a trade card and the store you're in can apply that credit on another purchase. It's more of a workaround though, I wouldn't do it often.

Like making good butter, you need to churn at a smooth, moderately steady pace.

Churn too fast and it will end up runny.  Churn too slow and you'll get lumps.

GS employees are no different.  Go smooth and steady.  Never go too fast, or too slow.  Smooth and steady.

They might actually help you if you treat them nice.  Smooth .. Steady ..

... [or treat you like shit if you abuse them, or screw up their internal metrics, which affect their job reviews -- and it's very likely they will remember you, or tell others about you. -- having people remember problem customers is something that will never go away.  You'll be digging yourself out of that hole for a long time.]

What is up with these stores making up their own rules for this crap. Luckily GameStop is really responsive, at least in my experience, about doing surveys and replying to poor experiences.

I'd cancel all the preorders though too. Not really advertised but you can also cancel those preorders at another store. They would put the credit on a trade card and the store you're in can apply that credit on another purchase. It's more of a workaround though, I wouldn't do it often.
How does that work exactly? Do I have to bring in my 6' receipt and then they have to call up the other store and confirm? (That would be kind of hard to explain) Or can they just look my PUR in the system and find the pre-orders. I had thought they were tied only to that specific store.

I've got 10 stores within 20 min of my house or on the way home from work and 6 of them aren't part of the "lower tiv" stores, so I usually try and distribute my purchases / trade-ins between them always buying something from clearance when I come in. Socks. Lots of socks. So I've come to know all the store managers by name and recognized when I come in (especially if I bring the kids to blow up their bakugan/beyblade organization).

When did the DualShock 4 back button come out? I already have GameStop calling me and asking when I am picking it up because they have customers asking about. I thought it wasn't out until Friday.

Fine print for the 4x PUR points - "Points will be awarded after the close of the promotion, no later than 2/7/2020. Must be a PowerUp Rewards member to qualify. Double points will be awarded on transactions including 4 or more pre-owned games. Four times points will be awarded on transactions including 4 or more pre-owned games and a PowerUp Rewards Pro membership purchase or renewal. May be combined with buy 2 get 1 free pre-owned games promotional offer."

So I was banking on the "transaction" portion of the fine print to just add 4 for $10 to a massive trade in with the +$5 bonus + forced preorder haul (store manager was standing over the guy's shoulder and abiding by the promo wording...) = just short of 20k points in one transaction. So hopefully come Feb 7th, I will get another 20k points... or settle for 200 8-[

Then eventually shift all those pre-orders into something like a PS5! O:) Has anyone had luck getting pre-order credit in the form of cash? Never really cancelled a pre-order before. Pre-order credit on a game that is already released just gets put on your account after a certain time past the release date I assume?
To get a refund on a preorder in the original form of payment, you must cancel within 30 days of its release. If you paid with store credit you’ll only get store credit back.

When did the DualShock 4 back button come out? I already have GameStop calling me and asking when I am picking it up because they have customers asking about. I thought it wasn't out until Friday.
It's supposed to come out on the 23rd, but Walmart started selling it early. Sony tweeted it was out now on Monday, so apparently it's out early.

To get a refund on a preorder in the original form of payment, you must cancel within 30 days of its release. If you paid with store credit you’ll only get store credit back.
That's what I figured, but sometimes when I pay with trade credit online and return the items in store they don't always force me to do trade credit.

I was more curious how people add trade credit to the value you see in the app - figured one way was to let some pre-orders expire and they get tied to your PUR account?

There’s no guaranteed to love games right now and I just found out I still have the money I deposited on a game I pre ordered I never picked up instore. My trade credit/elite pro balance doesn’t really show on the app.

I’m wondering if they cancel that pre order cuz I didn’t pick up, the credit would be back to my elite pro account. I’m trying to buy a collectors edition which is in stock at another store with that credit.

I live in Tulsa and Gamestop is testing their new stores here...

They are pretty awesome!  Tons of gaming computer bays and 86 inch tvs set up with switches and tables for table top games.  Couches and everything.

I was very impressed.  Not a ton of cases on the wall and bs merchandise... they run all sorts of tournaments and you can organize the yourself! 

They are taking them game shop model nationwide and it seems pretty sleek and awesome!

Was at a GameStop that was closing. Talked for a bit. Guy was told he had to get his numbers up or he might not get his severance. He laughed, said that they actually expect him to push a warranty when the store is closing.
After hearing that, I'm shocked when employees treat me well.

decided to give the sale a shot and walked into one store to find it stacked with a bunch of preowned games besides Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice and Luigi Mansion which i really wanted. I guess its because this Gamestop is also a Think Geek since unlike another store i visted minutes earlier the prices were completely identical to online.

They also had the "4 for" deal but I honestly had zero clue what to buy since I know there isn't any smart trick like the previous one with Sony games. 

Not sure if I should use the games toward FF7 or the extra 10%???

Anyway for whatever reason one of the "closing" Gamestop's is still running business as usual with zero "Going Out of Business" signs and completely stocked with games. I guess they'll probably close next month? 

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back