2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
May I ask which region? I had an SGA try to explain that to me when I had no issue trading them in in the same store just a week ago. I went to another store and they didn't seem to care at all, but it's a bit far and would be a hassle to get to.
Mid-west coast! This particular store last week had 2 new employees that didn't give a shit, but this time had a solo store leader that I'd never seen before and as soon as I walked in the door said "Hey, let me tell you about a promo we're running....".

Noticed 20% off pre-owned games with console order when added to cart on the website... don't remember seeing that promo advertised in the ad or on the website incase anyone was going to pickup a system for whatever reason. :D/

Traded in my last salvo to bring me within 25 of the rolling trade in limit, and ended up having to make a few more pre-orders because apparently word got out to all the SLs in the region (some work social network they use) that they had to explain it like 1 traded in game = 1 free preorder, or at least the entire X games times 5 needed to be used. So I picked the latter option.

This guy lead with the promo when he saw the stack of games entering the store, so no way to avoid the issue.. and I had other errands to run. Good luck to those trading in this weekend! :twoguns:
What 25 rolling limit you referring to because I’ve traded in more then 25 games this past week?

Ok thanks. The trade limit is 4 per title per system?
Yep, I've hit the 4 titles many times so can confirm that reaching that limit is safe at least. (Not sure if instances towards cash also get counted in the same limit, but would stay on the safe side) I keep a log to see what my current trade in credit limit is and chart out when it frees up. Also use basic =COUNTIFS formulas to determine the number of the same title I've traded in over the last rolling 31 days... granted it requires the correct spelling and making sure to differentiate between systems. :whistle2: Pivot tables would also work, just harder to setup.

6Sam3M2.jpg

i know these questions have been asked a lot, but just to confirm since I'm heading to a gamestop soon, the monthly cert and rewards certs can be used towards PSN, XBOX, eShop money right?

Walk into GameStop with your games...say you wanna trade. Let the employee scan and do the work before you sign tell them to put $5 towards whatever game you want dont question the deal don’t ask “will this work” “will I still get the bump” just let the system
Do it’s thing...the system will automatically bump all the games. Put the rest on a trade card

That’s it. If they tell you anything else grab your games and walk out. It’s ridiculous to think they want you to preorder a game for every game you trade in.
This.

I’ve had employees tell me I need to preorder more games for the bonus, but it’s POS or GTFO. I tell them I’m not interested in the bonus for the other games and finish the transaction. They can always update the POS to require more preorders, but that’s not how it’s coded now.

You’re right. This has been asked, and answered, a lot.
You’re right, and I knew it would work, just basically a confidence check...

note: attempted to buy 2 $10 PSN cards and while the $5 feb and a $5 reward cert worked another $10 wouldn’t in the same transaction...appeared to work fine in separate transactions though...

You’re right. This has been asked, and answered, a lot.
It has but you can educate a person while still being a bit condescending. Without answering the question, it just makes you kind of a condescending dick.

Yes, you can use your $5 certificate towards those items.

You’re right, and I knew it would work, just basically a confidence check...

note: attempted to buy 2 $10 PSN cards and while the $5 feb and a $5 reward cert worked another $10 wouldn’t in the same transaction...appeared to work fine in separate transactions though...
This is normal. The certs and coupons are dumb and won't work across different items once one hits $0. Every new item you want to put coupons onto needs to be separate transaction.

Has anyone tried using the cert with a digital Xbox credit amount, printed on the receipt? I tried with January's and it didn't work, but I was thinking maybe GS fixed the issue with the February cert.

Has anyone tried using the cert with a digital Xbox credit amount, printed on the receipt? I tried with January's and it didn't work, but I was thinking maybe GS fixed the issue with the February cert.
Yes, I've used one on an Xbox physical card and one on the Xbox currency that prints the code on the receipt and both worked fine this week.

Just tried trading games to a different GameStop in the ghetto side of town. The SL there confirmed that many stores are unofficially changing the policy, but he said that they can “go f*** themselves” and honored all of my trades.

It’s coming to Game Pass later this month also.
As crazy as it sounds, there are some games that I would prefer to have a disc for. Games like The Division 2 usually have a large install size, so I let the disc start the install while connected to the Internet, unplug the data cord, and plug it back in for the updates once the initial install has concluded.

Just tried trading games to a different GameStop in the ghetto side of town. The SL there confirmed that many stores are unofficially changing the policy, but he said that they can “go f*** themselves” and honored all of my trades.
Hopefully they are still honoring the $5 trade in for everything as I’m going to try it here in a bit.

Would it be possible to post a blank version of this to Google drive or Dropbox or something? I keep a very basic sheet and would like to learn how to do this by reverse engineering it.
I'd hate to be the cause of someone being temp banned for a spreadsheet error, so here the basics:

Column A = Date of Trade In, Column B = Trade-In amount, Column C = Game Name

Current trade in credit available to use =2000-SUMIFS(B:B,A:A,">="&(TODAY()-31))

I use 31 just to be safe incase they go with full months or something else.

# of times you've traded in the game in cell C1 = COUNTIFS(C:C, C1)

Then you can get more elaborate from there if you want to add criteria like date range, etc. Or just bite the bullet and make a pivot table!

Is it now safe to use trade credit and gift cards on the website? I remember people were having trouble with that before.

Also, how are the T-shirts from Gamestop? Do they run small?

I'm thinking about getting one of those $6.38 shirts sized small for my 10 year old niece. It doesn't say Youth, so I'm assuming it's Men's sizing. She's tall but I think a small might fit her.

I was told last night that the 4/$20 is running till the end of the year? Thanks to this thread, I was able to cop 16 games for $80

Is it now safe to use trade credit and gift cards on the website? I remember people were having trouble with that before.

Also, how are the T-shirts from Gamestop? Do they run small?
I'm thinking about getting one of those $6.38 shirts sized small for my 10 year old niece. It doesn't say Youth, so I'm assuming it's Men's sizing. She's tall but I think a small might fit her.
You can, but if an order gets cancelled for whatever reason it can be a pain to get the credit back on your trade card.

@Davem Your spreadsheet sounds pretty similar to mine, I also copy them by year so it's fun to go back and delve into how much I traded previously.

When does this $5 promo end
Close of business tomorrow, Sunday February 9th

Also, I can't understand why so many people are getting the store detectives on trade ins, I do it real simple like:

1) All the games to trade in are in my backpack, walk into store with backpack on

2) Talk to rep and say I'd like to add more cash to my preorder, scan the card, say I want to add $5

3) AFTER that pre-order info is in the system (ie-look at the pinpad), say "Oh, I have some stuff I want to trade in too"

4) Take off backpack, put games on counter and trade them all in. I've done up to about 30 at once I think.

5) "Looks like I've got some extra trade credit, can I just put that on a card? I'm hoping to use my PowerUp points to pay off the game when it comes out"

6) CSR: "Sure thing, looks like you'll have plenty of extra too!", Me: "Hopefully it can help when I buy a PS5 right? HAHAHA! :wink: "

I also buy the GPGs at one of every 4 games so as to not aggravate the reps I'm buying from. A hit in profits but it's normally not much.

Hmmm...interesting.  For Step 2 I would be using trade credit.  But maybe I have to use cash?  

Also, between Step 3 and Step 4 what if they try to complete the pre-order transaction and then start a new transaction for the trades? 

Just food for thought from someone whose store is adamant about not adding trades to an existing preorder. 

Also, I can't understand why so many people are getting the store detectives on trade ins, I do it real simple like:

1) All the games to trade in are in my backpack, walk into store with backpack on

2) Talk to rep and say I'd like to add more cash to my preorder, scan the card, say I want to add $5

3) AFTER that pre-order info is in the system (ie-look at the pinpad), say "Oh, I have some stuff I want to trade in too"

4) Take off backpack, put games on counter and trade them all in. I've done up to about 30 at once I think.

5) "Looks like I've got some extra trade credit, can I just put that on a card? I'm hoping to use my PowerUp points to pay off the game when it comes out"

6) CSR: "Sure thing, looks like you'll have plenty of extra too!", Me: "Hopefully it can help when I buy a PS5 right? HAHAHA! :wink: "

I also buy the GPGs at one of every 4 games so as to not aggravate the reps I'm buying from. A hit in profits but it's normally not much.
I've had a rep try to cancel the bonus after it shows up in the system. It doesn't work if they're aware of the promotion and are instructed to handle it a certain way. Thankfully, it's only been a problem for me in one store and only with specific employees in that store.

I've had a rep try to cancel the bonus after it shows up in the system. It doesn't work if they're aware of the promotion and are instructed to handle it a certain way. Thankfully, it's only been a problem for me in one store and only with specific employees in that store.
Yup which it seems to be the store manager.

I traded three games and applied the credit toward MLB The Show 20 MVP Edition and got the bonus on each game. The associate/employee never said anything about applying it to separate pre-orders to get the bonus. It stinks to see that so many ran into bad apples while trading in games.

Hmmm...interesting. For Step 2 I would be using trade credit. But maybe I have to use cash?

Also, between Step 3 and Step 4 what if they try to complete the pre-order transaction and then start a new transaction for the trades?

Just food for thought from someone whose store is adamant about not adding trades to an existing preorder.
So for step 2 I normally already have a preorder on file, if not I just say I want a new one with X amount down. I don't let them finish the transaction, I haven't paid yet and I'm not actually putting cash onto the preorder, just the credit I'm getting from trading in the games (in the next step).

I've never had a rep bat an eye at the values coming up, I'm sure they don't really care. But I know what everything should be when they're scanning it in so I keep an eye on that pinpad with all the trade in values.

The whole goal is to obfuscate the "bonus" part of the trade in. If values are just ringing up along the way they rarely care, vs if I trade everything in and then ask for a preorder and the overall value bumps by several hundred dollars at once then they start getting suspicious.

Is this why I find brand new gpgs in sub-$10 used games around here? I've seen a couple people recently say they buy them for a 1/4 of their games.

I'm fine with making preorders, shooting the breeze, doing surveys, and being a generally considerate person. But I don't buy gpg unless the employee goes above and beyond or is obviously having a bad day. I've been doing this for a couple years, and I've never had a problem.

The employees aren't going to get fired for low gpg because I leave them glowing custom recommendations weekly. And gpg is an absolute scam that I won't take part in unless absolutely necessary. Maybe the employees secretly hate me during these buy 4 for 20 sales, but they are very friendly to me because I know what the hell a JRPG is and have some kind of recommendation on any game that I trade in. And regardless, I'm not in GameStop to make friends.

1 game must be preordered, the $5 bonus will then trigger on any trade in with a base of $2. Preorder anything you’re interested in really, unless you plan to cancel then just go with something that comes out soon like Yakuza next week and then say you changed your mind when it releases
Im catching up on last few pages and noticed some people saying any game with $2 base will work. The ad for this promo on gamestop website says ps4, xbox one, switch games. Can it really be any $2 base game? I have some wiiu games i want to drop and will take a look at some of my 360, ps3 games too.

GPG is a total scam in my mind and I am not playing along. that said I dont know how people can scratch the hell out of games in the first place. Do they take them out of the system and just throw them on the floor. Who needs the case when I can just put it in the garbage disposal for a quick spin.
wii, 360 etc you could damage on accident I guess, but how in the world can you scratch a bluray without actively trying to do it?

GPG is a total scam in my mind and I am not playing along. that said I dont know how people can scratch the hell out of games in the first place. Do they take them out of the system and just throw them on the floor. Who needs the case when I can just put it in the garbage disposal for a quick spin.
wii, 360 etc you could damage on accident I guess, but how in the world can you scratch a bluray without actively trying to do it?
GPG???

Im catching up on last few pages and noticed some people saying any game with $2 base will work. The ad for this promo on gamestop website says ps4, xbox one, switch games. Can it really be any $2 base game? I have some wiiu games i want to drop and will take a look at some of my 360, ps3 games too.
Yep, I managed to flip quite a few 3DS, PS3, 360, and Wii U games. It's amusing that this is flippable material:

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/more-platforms/wii-u/games/products/wheel-of-fortune/10105656.html

Just got back from trading in and yes it’s for any $2 games. I even traded in a NES game and got the bonus.

Traded in my last salvo to bring me within 25 of the rolling trade in limit, and ended up having to make a few more pre-orders because apparently word got out to all the SLs in the region (some work social network they use) that they had to explain it like 1 traded in game = 1 free preorder, or at least the entire X games times 5 needed to be used. So I picked the latter option.

This guy lead with the promo when he saw the stack of games entering the store, so no way to avoid the issue.. and I had other errands to run. Good luck to those trading in this weekend! :twoguns:
Ran into this today. One of the stores I go to, that I never had any issues with, told me that I had to put down the extra $5 from each game toward a preorder. It was either all on one game or spread across several. The regular trade amount could go on the card. Maybe they finally caught on and this will be the norm next time they do the extra $5 for trade ins.

So I got hit by the points bug. I’m down about 50k lifetime & 10k current.

Edit: Now down 6K current.

Hardly anyone ruins game discs except adult idiots and children. I remember when my niece got the Wii. She learned how to take the discs out by pressing the button, and she would put them on the wooden coffee table face down. So, I suppose it's a good investment for parents.

I see the division 2 is $5 in the ad, but not on the website. Does it go live later this week?
Looks like someone at GameStop hq got cold feet. I’m going to see if rings at the register when they open. Samurai Shodown is still $13 used so I’m going to pick that up also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back