2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I use a $5 off preowned certificate on Tomb Raider (It's $15 this week) thus bringing its price down to $9.99 and eligible for the 4 for 20 deal or does the coupon automatically get used on the cheapest?

Can I use a $5 off preowned certificate on Tomb Raider (It's $15 this week) thus bringing its price down to $9.99 and eligible for the 4 for 20 deal or does the coupon automatically get used on the cheapest?
Great idea but I've read that the coupon cannot be used in conjunction with that offer. Be great if you could though.

Speaking of GPGs being a scam, I stopped going to one of my favorite stores because the lifer working there tried telling me "it's an open world game, so any scratches could make it glitch out or not load correctly." Do you really think I don't know that PS4/Xbox One games copy everything to the hard drive first?

Looks like someone at GameStop hq got cold feet. I’m going to see if rings at the register when they open. Samurai Shodown is still $13 used so I’m going to pick that up also.
They have the banner up on the website, but the price is still not showing up online.

9WYrnBj.jpg

GPG is a scam. I won't contest what others said.

But it does hurt the GS employee's if they don't get 30% GPG for games sold.  Confirmed by talking to 2 employees (past 3 weeks) at different stores that opened up to me.  Most employees won't discuss this to "strangers" out of fear of secret shoppers, but the ones who know me and realize there is no way in hell I'm a secret shopper, talk freely.

It kills their numbers when someone buys a huge lot of games with zero GPG's.

One guy I've known for over a year working at a GS location, said "please buy GPG's, this is going to murder me if you don't".  I asked "how bad is your GPG score" -- responded by "bad".  He knows I flip games and consistently looks the other way.  I gave him 50%.  He was so happy.  GPG's are $1 for the 4/20.  My take was much higher.

According to Reddit, tech trades are all the buzz.  I've never been asked about trading my (only) phone, as Reddit might make people believe.  I did get a flyer in my bag about tech trades a couple times.  That's about the extent.

Maybe they have a deal with junk dealers in the area, so they don't need to worry - no idea.

I do almost always leave 100% positive feedback.  That definitely helps them too.

IMO, if you stiff GPG's, you may create an irate employee, later becoming a JD.  Why risk it, when you're already making out like a bandit?  $1 a game .. $10 for a huge lot .. puhlease peps.

There was just a lot of chatter recently about stiffing GPG's.  $3 GPG for a Switch game or other "newish" game is definitely outrageous, no disagreement there!  But people buying games not on promotion generally pick up 1 title, maybe 2.  The GPG suckers out there even things out on small purchases.

Large volume purchases without GPG's are the bane of GS workers.

Yep, division 2 is properly marked $5 in store... they just missed updating the website. Even if it comes to Game Pass, still a great price in my opinion :)

Speaking of GPGs being a scam, I stopped going to one of my favorite stores because the lifer working there tried telling me "it's an open world game, so any scratches could make it glitch out or not load correctly." Do you really think I don't know that PS4/Xbox One games copy everything to the hard drive first?
So would disk read errors now only happen on initial bootup b/c the system can't fully read the disk when it does its "do you 'own' this check?" Is it impossible to get a disk read error in game?

But it does hurt the GS employee's if they don't get 30% GPG for games sold. Confirmed by talking to 2 employees (past 3 weeks) at different stores that opened up to me. Most employees won't discuss this to "strangers" out of fear of secret shoppers, but the ones who know me and realize there is no way in hell I'm a secret shopper, talk freely.

One guy I've known for over a year working at a GS location, said "please buy GPG's, this is going to murder me if you don't". I asked "how bad is your GPG score" -- responded by "bad". He knows I flip games and consistently looks the other way. I gave him 50%. He was so happy. GPG's are $1 for the 4/20. My take was much higher.

According to Reddit, tech trades are all the buzz. I've never been asked about trading my (only) phone, as Reddit might make people believe. I did get a flyer in my bag about tech trades a couple times. That's about the extent.

Maybe they have a deal with junk dealers in the area, so they don't need to worry - no idea.

I do almost always leave 100% positive feedback. That definitely helps them too.

IMO, if you stiff GPG's, you may create an irate employee, later becoming a JD. Why risk it, when you're already making out like a bandit? $1 a game .. $10 for a huge lot .. puhlease peps.

There was just a lot of chatter recently about stiffing GPG's. $3 GPG for a Switch game or other "newish" game is definitely outrageous, no disagreement there! But people buying games not on promotion generally pick up 1 title, maybe 2. The GPG suckers out there even things out on small purchases.

The rumored reason for the tech trade crunch, outside of the previously shared wholesale site where you can see the potential profits, is GS has a contract with a foreign entity for used tech and they are trying to fulfill that contract.

But it does hurt the GS employee's if they don't get 30% GPG for games sold. Confirmed by talking to 2 employees (past 3 weeks) at different stores that opened up to me. Most employees won't discuss this to "strangers" out of fear of secret shoppers, but the ones who know me and realize there is no way in hell I'm a secret shopper, talk freely.

One guy I've known for over a year working at a GS location, said "please buy GPG's, this is going to murder me if you don't". I asked "how bad is your GPG score" -- responded by "bad". He knows I flip games and consistently looks the other way. I gave him 50%. He was so happy. GPG's are $1 for the 4/20. My take was much higher.

According to Reddit, tech trades are all the buzz. I've never been asked about trading my (only) phone, as Reddit might make people believe. I did get a flyer in my bag about tech trades a couple times. That's about the extent.

I do almost always leave 100% positive feedback. That definitely helps them too.

IMO, if you stiff GPG's, you may create an irate employee, later becoming a JD. Why risk it, when you're already making out like a bandit? $1 a game .. $10 for a huge lot .. puhlease peps.

There was just a lot of chatter recently about stiffing GPG's. $3 GPG for a Switch game or other "newish" game is definitely outrageous, no disagreement there! But people buying games not on promotion generally pick up 1 title, maybe 2. The GPG suckers out there even things out on small purchases.

I think the price for the GPG is based off how much a specific game costs.

Yep, I managed to flip quite a few 3DS, PS3, 360, and Wii U games. It's amusing that this is flippable material:

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/more-platforms/wii-u/games/products/wheel-of-fortune/10105656.html
Man if I found that complete locally in a 4/$20 I'd be selling it online. Wheel of Fortune Wii U is an uncommon game and you can normally get about $25-30 for it complete on ebay.

Also echoing the GPGs are good for the reps overall rating, I've had them mention it to me before so that's why I stick to 1:4 for them. I just throw all the stickers in a drawer somewhere. Maybe I'll find a scratched to hell version at a thrift someday.

Believe it or not some of us keep the games we buy, or at least most of them. I am not going to pay extra for something I know I am not going to use.

Believe it or not some of us keep the games we buy, or at least most of them. I am not going to pay extra for something I know I am not going to use.
That's awesome, we're so glad you like the games you purchased!

Buy the GPG's you want, if any? /case-closed

I had an employee sell the customer ahead of me a "glitch guarantee" on the Xbox One game he bought. I knew he would then give me issues with my transaction. Wanted to return an online order, he looks at the packing slip and asks me for the order confirmation email because he needs to see the "detailed order info"

I pull it up on my phone to show him that the price matches the slip, he goes to reach for my phone and I tell him nope. He gets all pissy and says "I am just trying to help you out" and I tell him that the order slip matches the email confirmation. He says he needs to see the subtotal and tax, I tell him he could have just asked and he gets snippy and says he did (which he didn't).

I've never had an employee need anything other than the packing slip to return an online order. I'm assuming this was because he wanted to see how I paid and make sure I didn't say one thing and it be another. But to get an attitude because I won't let you touch my phone is not at all how an employee should act. Thankfully I don't really go to that store, so I don't give a shit about snapping back at him or giving him a negative survey. At least he didn't try to sell me on the bogus "glitch guarantee" for the games I bought.

Was able to grab a copy of Division 2 PS4 in store for $5 minus my $5 monthly coupon = free.

Tempted to flip it for $8.30 credit towards my cyberpunk preorder later today but worried the GS employee will get suspicious

I would buy one GPG out of 4 games during a promotion if I knew it would absolutely help that employee. But it doesn't. Because most of the people I buy the games from are managers and assistant managers. And none of them got there or have ever been fired for not making GPG numbers. If Gamestop wants to fire a store manager or assistant manager, who gets stellar reviews weekly, over low GPG numbers, that's fine by me. Because that employee needs to go somewhere they are appreciated, and with an attitude like that, Gamestop won't last through 2021 regardless as a B&M retailer.

I would buy one GPG out of 4 games during a promotion if I knew it would absolutely help that employee. But it doesn't. Because most of the people I buy the games from are managers and assistant managers. And none of them got there or have ever been fired for not making GPG numbers. If Gamestop wants to fire a store manager or assistant manager, who gets stellar reviews weekly, over low GPG numbers, that's fine by me. Because that employee needs to go somewhere they are appreciated, and with an attitude like that, Gamestop won't last through 2021 regardless as a B&M retailer.
This. I have even had a SL, who I have known for a while now, refuse to let me buy one because it was a waste of money.

I think it heavily depends on the region that you're in. I also had an SGA open up to me about how corporate is threatening their jobs over GPGs. I can also confirm that it's at least true in my area because someone in my local store was fired due to poor numbers. This employee always lets me flip at the same store on the exact same day, so I decided to give him a few GPGs and make up for that by buying more flip material. In return, he's always called the in-store hotline on my behalf when my trade credit is lost when an online/BOPS order is cancelled, so from my perspective he's earned his numbers. For me it's essentially giving a tip for good service if the employee is willing to look the other way when promotions like this happen.

Man if I found that complete locally in a 4/$20 I'd be selling it online. Wheel of Fortune Wii U is an uncommon game and you can normally get about $25-30 for it complete on ebay.

Also echoing the GPGs are good for the reps overall rating, I've had them mention it to me before so that's why I stick to 1:4 for them. I just throw all the stickers in a drawer somewhere. Maybe I'll find a scratched to hell version at a thrift someday.
Oh wow, thank you for the information. Apparently that store is a treasure trove of uncommon 4/$20 games. I assume they were converted years ago because almost all of the games were almost mint condition as well. Going to buy them back tomorrow if they're still in stock.

I'd rather tip them directly. In this analogy, GameStop is stealing their tips. The clerks don't even get commission for the GPG, do they?
I'd definitely tip them directly if it was allowed. The SGA at my local store seemed desperate for GPGs and made it clear that they were threatening his job. He's never asked me if I wanted GPGs or anything before this quarter and even told me that all this upselling is the worst part of his job. I think the district/regional managers have been especially hard on them recently. In the past month I've seen some of the most helpful employees fired and replaced with people who are clueless about games and only care about sales. I don't get GPGs at any other store or with any other employee because I agree that it's a scam. I think we can all agree that GameStop is a terribly run company that exploits its employees.

I'd rather tip them directly. In this analogy, GameStop is stealing their tips. The clerks don't even get commission for the GPG, do they?
Your "tip" is simply letting them keep their job, via GPG's.

All this being said, if some customer got me written up (if I were a GS employee) because of low GPG's, I'd be quick to inform my DL about a potential loss prevention scam -- and start pointing fingers like crazy, against everyone who shit on me.

If I'm going down, the scumbag(s) can too :)

A GS employee was never born a detective .. but they can become one, under the right circumstances.

Damn, I've bought almost every single under $10 game that I'll ever want over the last few months through 4 for 20s and 4 for 10s. Looked at the list of $5 games to see if I can pair anything with Division 2 but I literally have almost everything, at least that's available in my area. I'll probably just use the $5 coupon.

Dont know why I see people saying they wont renew their PUR when it expires. Is it much, much worse than before? Obviously, but if you flip, hell, even if you dont constantly flip, a normal trade in will literally pay for your membership for a whole year depending on how many games you trade in with the 10% bonus. You're getting a free $5 coupon from that each month. I dont know how anyone can say they wont take that lol.

Why the hell would you tip them? They're getting games from behind a counter for you. And most of them are fake as hell while doing it. I would never spend money on such a useless thing as GPG just to make their numbers go up at the cost of my money. That's silly.

I'm always amazed when the GS employee is shocked when these weekly/daily deals ring up. How can you work there (or any retail job) and not know your company's specials?

Your "tip" is simply letting them keep their job, via GPG's.

All this being said, if some customer got me written up (if I were a GS employee) because of low GPG's, I'd be quick to inform my DL about a potential loss prevention scam -- and start pointing fingers like crazy, against everyone who shit on me.

If I'm going down, the scumbag(s) can too :)

A GS employee was never born a detective .. but they can become one, under the right circumstances.
Okay, Dave.

Anyone have any inside knowledge if gamestop will restock on preorders for the new switch?
Unlikely. While GME has good cash flow currently (GME financial institution reports), they won't be re-stocking older titles / consoles they have already sold out on [maintain good cash flow].

GS ordered 80k AC Switches Nationwide (Reddit), I doubt they will do another 80k round, even though the original 80K are sold-out. They are internally surprised about the sell out.

GS will instead focus on new and upcoming games. For better or worse.

Long story short -- I don't think older games / consoles are going to be restocked.

They are gone man .. History! .. never to be seen again, dust, forgotten, fart in the wind, etc!

25% GPG, you savior, you. They need 30%+ to keep their job.

Please go on, to justify your decision.
25% is much better than my 0%, no? Seems like your ostracizing this guy for no reason.

I like my local GameStop employees. I am kind to them and I receive kindness in return. I'll buy a used game here or there if there's ever a flip or anything. Maybe 4 or 5 games a year. I've never, nor will I ever, purchase a game warranty. They make their numbers with other people. I'm not responsible for them making their 30%. Literally the person in front of me got one last time I was there. They mentioned having kids that break stuff all the time. Easy sale for the associate.

1 game must be preordered, the $5 bonus will then trigger on any trade in with a base of $2. Preorder anything you’re interested in really, unless you plan to cancel then just go with something that comes out soon like Yakuza next week and then say you changed your mind when it releases
Any game or just modern? Would DS, 3ds or Wii work?

Just picked up a copy of Borderlands GOTY for xbone, it is $20 in store but still $15 online. The associate was surprised and mentioned the website must be running a day behind. She pointed out another price difference as well she remembered changing this morning.

Just picked up a copy of Borderlands GOTY for xbone, it is $20 in store but still $15 online. The associate was surprised and mentioned the website must be running a day behind. She pointed out another price difference as well she remembered changing this morning.
This seems like it may be correct in your case, but theres one store around me that doesnt change prices at all unless it's a huge overhaul. I went to that store a few weeks ago and saw GRID (2019) still tagged as $15 (it hadn't been that price for at least a week). Went back last week, and still saw it priced as that, so I bought it and just traded it in. They still had UFC 3 for $10 as well from the ad like a month ago.

I'm all for a huge disconnect in prices that favor the consumer, but that's pretty embarrassing for the company. Even my local store has had Crackdown 3 at $15 for weeks when it hasnt gone below $25.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back