2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went looking for Ring Fit Adventure today, each store I checked showed stock but only had luck at the third one. First one they were clearly saving the last one for someone and the second one the guy wouldn’t even check. Called third one and guy said no at first but found it and put it on hold. Check the app inventory if anyone is looking for one.

Anyone figure out a further workaround for being able to select "in store pick up" on a game that is not available online or new?
There are 2 in my area that I would love to pick up.
Call and tell them to put it on hold for you so when you get there, you can slip them either a trade card or a credit card. Unless you are only trying to buy a pre owned game online to use a discount code, then I still havent found a solution for that one.

Went looking for Ring Fit Adventure today, each store I checked showed stock but only had luck at the third one. First one they were clearly saving the last one for someone and the second one the guy wouldn’t even check. Called third one and guy said no at first but found it and put it on hold. Check the app inventory if anyone is looking for one.
Manager at my local store said every store in the company should have gotten 3. Not sure if thats totally accurate but price is already dropping liek a rock on ebay so they are definitely easier to find. I passed on buying one to flip. Probably should have bought one to have though.

From this week's ad.

kcEzifP.jpg

Is that par for the course w/ GS flash sales or have they ever stacked in the past?
For sure have stacked with various BOG(X) + 'x% off' deals in the past, though it was always a tossup on it being active and/or deactivated partway through. Last Christmas sale, for example, had it enabled for the first few deep-night hours sale was live - but got the codes deactivated site-wide by Christmas morning and stayed that way through the new year.

Best was the one-year period w/ PUR pro 20% stacking with CAG16 stacking with sales every once in a blue moon. Still have dreams about getting just one more go at the site from back then...

as empty as some stores near me are, I'm surprised week after week in the ad that they haven't done any type of trade promo to get more inventory

as empty as some stores near me are, I'm surprised week after week in the ad that they haven't done any type of trade promo to get more inventory
Why would they want more inventory when they are trying to lower their inventory?

As per the weekly ad, trade promo $30 for a half dozen switch games, Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Fire Emblem. Doesn't help me because NY. stores are not accepting trades yet.
Seems like $30 may be the max trade in now sadly (down from 35 max base?).... but at least they started the weekly section again with 6 titles.

Here's hoping CSAC promo comes back in July! Still have B2G2 switch titles to unload from Dec. Or maybe get a pre-paid visa? :whistle2:k

Why would they want more inventory when they are trying to lower their inventory?
my stores have 0 consoles and less than 10 switch games and maybe 1 drawer of ps4 and xb1 games combined. they are hurting right now and even they want some type of promo to get games in the store.

Seems like $30 may be the max trade in now sadly (down from 35 max base?).... but at least they started the weekly section again with 6 titles.

Here's hoping CSAC promo comes back in July! Still have B2G2 switch titles to unload from Dec. Or maybe get a pre-paid visa? :whistle2:k
I doubt they'll be running the CSAC promo anytime soon. Stores in my area just opened on Friday for in store shopping and they aren't accepting cash as payment and it doesn't look like they are going to anytime soon.

my stores have 0 consoles and less than 10 switch games and maybe 1 drawer of ps4 and xb1 games combined. they are hurting right now and even they want some type of promo to get games in the store.
With online sales, they make more money because people are forced to buy $35+ worth of items to get free shipping. If someone goes into the store, they are just buying one or two items.

I doubt they do a CSAC anytime soon. I can see a trade x amount get x% bonus credit promo, though.

store near me has one of those Fallout Power Armor Nuka Cola Helmets that are $45 for this sale. I went and looked at it but the box is friggin massive.  who has room to store something like that?

store near me has one of those Fallout Power Armor Nuka Cola Helmets that are $45 for this sale. I went and looked at it but the box is friggin massive. who has room to store something like that?
Haha yeah I bought one two weeks ago, and had no place to put it, so I just placed it on my girlfriends head lol.

With online sales, they make more money because people are forced to buy $35+ worth of items to get free shipping. If someone goes into the store, they are just buying one or two items.
Not necessarily. An online order could come as a single shipment,each item shipped individually, or something in the middle. They are paying for each shipment, so if you purchased 5 games, they may need to pay shipping 5 times, instead of no shipping cost on in-store orders.

When they used to have far more cheap games available through the website for shipping, they could lose money on transactions after shipping. During one particular round of glitches, they shipped a great deal of 1 dollar games individually from stores. That's immediate lost money (and product)

Plus, the classic retail jingle of the "impulse buy" for in-store orders, which is even more relevant for gamestop after becoming a toy store.

No, the real "shipping is better for them" argument is about the extra operational costs of keeping individual stores open vs single warehouses. But that doesn't even apply here considering that most of the items shipping out are from individual stores anyway.

Not necessarily. An online order could come as a single shipment,each item shipped individually, or something in the middle. They are paying for each shipment, so if you purchased 5 games, they may need to pay shipping 5 times, instead of no shipping cost on in-store orders.

When they used to have far more cheap games available through the website for shipping, they could lose money on transactions after shipping. During one particular round of glitches, they shipped a great deal of 1 dollar games individually from stores. That's immediate lost money (and product)

Plus, the classic retail jingle of the "impulse buy" for in-store orders, which is even more relevant for gamestop after becoming a toy store.

No, the real "shipping is better for them" argument is about the extra operational costs of keeping individual stores open vs single warehouses. But that doesn't even apply here considering that most of the items shipping out are from individual stores anyway.
Whatever their plan is, it looks like they are trying to drain stores of old inventory for a restructuring. They clearly want to get rid of PS3, Xbox360, and lower valued current gen games with all of these "flash" sales. I went into a store and was surprised to see no collectibles or Pops, just games and digital currency cards.

Whatever their plan is, it looks like they are trying to drain stores of old inventory for a restructuring. They clearly want to get rid of PS3, Xbox360, and lower valued current gen games with all of these "flash" sales. I went into a store and was surprised to see no collectibles or Pops, just games and digital currency cards.
I had to go into my local store a couple of days ago to buy a DS game cause their website still continues to suck. Guy working there told me that I should get anything I have an interest in because they're getting rid of the DS/3DS section "very soon." I assume that means 360 and PS3 stuff are on the way out as well then.

I could see some 360 sticking around due to bc, ds probably done with due to repros, ps3 gone due to not being bc. 3ds may stick around a tad, but with no new games... everyone has moved on to the switch.

I had to go into my local store a couple of days ago to buy a DS game cause their website still continues to suck. Guy working there told me that I should get anything I have an interest in because they're getting rid of the DS/3DS section "very soon." I assume that means 360 and PS3 stuff are on the way out as well then.
If they drop last gen systems, I'll bet they also stop doing "retro" as well and just deal in the more current systems. Their retro reserves are basically completely depleted by this point as it is. It would be an interesting approach.

Really wish they would have spaced out the 50% off Flash sales a bit. There were a couple of games I wanted that were 29.99 (Control, for one) but I didn't want to put in another order after taking advantage of the

If they drop last gen systems, I'll bet they also stop doing "retro" as well and just deal in the more current systems. Their retro reserves are basically completely depleted by this point as it is. It would be an interesting approach.
Well fwiw I am pretty sure he was talking about in store, not in general. I would guess they're just going to ship off all the old stuff to a warehouse and continue to sell it online. At our store there are barely any older games left anyway so I am not surprised they're planning on getting rid of the rest of them.

GS is removing games from their search engine as well.

Kotodama 7 Mysteries is apparently removed from their catalog.  OK, kind of a sexist game anyways, since you can only undress ladies..

If you do a Trade search for "Switch", then filter to only games, the search result result is terribly low (it will only show games they will do credit for).  Pretty much only games worth a decent amount on the open market.  You'd get more cash than GS credit at a Mom'n'Pop game store.

My feeling is that when business' gets too picky on what they accept (and what they turn away), people will learn, and just go elsewhere to unload future stuff all at once.  Of all the games I'd like to trade (DS, 3DS, PS3, Switch). GS would only offer me like $18, with the bonus, for 3 or 4 games out of 20.  Not worth the gas.  I'll just sell the Switch games to a Mom&Pop for double+ the total GS offer, and donate whatever they don't want -- poor GS.

Kotodama 7 Mysteries is apparently removed from their catalog. OK, kind of a sexist game anyways, since you can only undress ladies..

If you do a Trade search for "Switch", then filter to only games, the search result result is terribly low (it will only show games they will do credit for). Pretty much only games worth a decent amount on the open market. You'd get more cash than GS credit at a Mom'n'Pop game store.

My feeling is that when business' gets too picky on what they accept (and what they turn away), people will learn, and just go elsewhere to unload future stuff all at once. Of all the games I'd like to trade (DS, 3DS, PS3, Switch). GS would only offer me like $18, with the bonus, for 3 or 4 games out of 20. Not worth the gas. I'll just sell the Switch games to a Mom&Pop for double+ the total GS offer, and donate whatever they don't want -- poor GS.
Don't think they're removing any games, just think their search results and website in general are a mess.

It seems like in the recent year they’ve been making a lot more changes to save themselves money. Aka, removing pro discount, disabling promotion stacking, increasing minimum free shipping charge, etc. it wouldnt surprise me if the days of getting $10 for a game they sell at $5 is over.

Removing Pro wasn’t done to save money. People need to remember that the majority of their trade-ins are from people that want quick cash. For every one of us that trade-in a $2 valued game for $7, there are 10 people that trade-in the newest release for $20 cash, that they then turn around and get $55 for.

Kotodama 7 Mysteries is apparently removed from their catalog. OK, kind of a sexist game anyways, since you can only undress ladies..

If you do a Trade search for "Switch", then filter to only games, the search result result is terribly low (it will only show games they will do credit for). Pretty much only games worth a decent amount on the open market. You'd get more cash than GS credit at a Mom'n'Pop game store.

My feeling is that when business' gets too picky on what they accept (and what they turn away), people will learn, and just go elsewhere to unload future stuff all at once. Of all the games I'd like to trade (DS, 3DS, PS3, Switch). GS would only offer me like $18, with the bonus, for 3 or 4 games out of 20. Not worth the gas. I'll just sell the Switch games to a Mom&Pop for double+ the total GS offer, and donate whatever they don't want -- poor GS.
So, Gamestop only wants to buy games it can resell for good money. huh. what a weird business model.
Also, you want kotodama on PS4?
https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/playstation-4/games/products/kotodama-the-7-mysteries-of-fujisawa/10177473.html

Or Switch?
https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/switch/games/products/kotodama-the-7-mysteries-of-fujisawa/10177474.html

Removing Pro wasn’t done to save money. People need to remember that the majority of their trade-ins are from people that want quick cash. For every one of us that trade-in a $2 valued game for $7, there are 10 people that trade-in the newest release for $20 cash, that they then turn around and get $55 for.
Are you forgetting that pro also removed 10 percent off preowned purchase price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back