2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had two stores reject my online returns because they said the games were too scratched and some had cracks even though they were sent like this. They said they could only return them if I bought a warranty and accused me of damaging them and said I had to return them back to the website. A third store said I could return the PS4 games but not PS3 or 360 games because they don't take them in for trade anymore which doesn't make sense because it's for a return. But they refused to return the "new" Switch game that was sent in just a sleeve. They also said they could only refund in store credit only? The website wouldn't answer me back so I just did a chargeback with my credit card company and I ended up getting a refund for everything including the games one store already refunded me on in credit.
I have a suspicion stores ship out their worst copies, and keep the best for local shoppers. Like if a display case for a new game gets stolen, they will ship the one without the case, and keep the other complete copies for local customers.

If you are motivated, you can give a negative review to the store that shipped garbage to you. Use the shipping service website (UPS, FEDEX, USPS). Select and enter tracking info. Look for some sort of detailed information, and find the city / state of origin. That's the GameStop location that did you dirty. You can Google Map it too if you are curious. The packing label seems to always say it came from Grapevine, TX, which is BS, most of the time, unless it really did come from the main warehouse.

Far away stores probably figure most people won't bother (and I think they are correct). Most people just suck it up and burn their own gas for returns. Nowadays, returns are not guaranteed, sadly. Worst cases, NEW games without a case in a sleave only, NEW games with DLC inserts missing, damaged discs, missing game, wrong game, etc.

When leaving feedback to TellGameStop.com, select the option for no receipt. Select the state & city. The store number is shown. Fire away.

I don't think those receipt feedback surveys count for much anymore. It seems like things are accelerating really fast for GS and many stores will he closing in the not-too-distant future because of COVID and the looming new digital consoles. You are better off calling GS and getting a replacement. A refund could be difficult if you're not willing to ship your items back.

I haven't seen anyone talk about Game Informer recently, but the editor-in-chief is leaving after something like 29 years on the job. They had two rounds of layoffs not too long ago, and maybe he sees more bad news coming for GI or GS and got out before the shit hit the fan. GI had more readers than Oprah Magazine at one point, so if he left his relatively lofty position at the magazine, I can't imagine things are looking too good for the company.

I have a suspicion stores ship out their worst copies, and keep the best for local shoppers. Like if a display case for a new game gets stolen, they will ship the one without the case, and keep the other complete copies for local customers.

If you are motivated, you can give a negative review to the store that shipped garbage to you. Use the shipping service website (UPS, FEDEX, USPS). Select and enter tracking info. Look for some sort of detailed information, and find the city / state of origin. That's the GameStop location that did you dirty. You can Google Map it too if you are curious. The packing label seems to always say it came from Grapevine, TX, which is BS, most of the time, unless it really did come from the main warehouse.

Far away stores probably figure most people won't bother (and I think they are correct). Most people just suck it up and burn their own gas for returns. Nowadays, returns are not guaranteed, sadly. Worst cases, NEW games without a case in a sleave only, NEW games with DLC inserts missing, damaged discs, missing game, wrong game, etc.

When leaving feedback to TellGameStop.com, select the option for no receipt. Select the state & city. The store number is shown. Fire away.
I agree with this. I had three games from an online order shipped from a store in TN back in early May. It looks like they sent the worst copies they had in stock. They came in the original cases with the black stickers on them. The 360 game has clear evidence of being refurbished, the goo in the center/disc hub. The two X1 games look like the have slight cracking in the center/disc hub.

I haven't tested them out yet, so I don't know if they work. Stores in my state were only allowed to do the "delivery at the door" at the time, so no returning them for an exchange or refund. I wasn't gonna waste my time calling customer service about replacements either. I basically just ended up eating the cost since I bought them on sale at the time.

Has anyone who got the, "your refund or replacement may take two more weeks" email last week, actually gotten their items shipped?

I agree with this. I had three games from an online order shipped from a store in TN back in early May. It looks like they sent the worst copies they had in stock. They came in the original cases with the black stickers on them. The 360 game has clear evidence of being refurbished, the goo in the center/disc hub. The two X1 games look like the have slight cracking in the center/disc hub.

I haven't tested them out yet, so I don't know if they work. Stores in my state were only allowed to do the "delivery at the door" at the time, so no returning them for an exchange or refund. I wasn't gonna waste my time calling customer service about replacements either. I basically just ended up eating the cost since I bought them on sale at the time.
I would return/exchange all three of those games, as you cant let them think it's ok to send those out. Sure, they might work and might in fact work forever without getting worse, but you should be getting a non, essentially mutilated, disc when you pay money for it.

If you have a replacement shipped, you'll get a mostly blank email that says your order is on the way. You should get it.
Just wanted to throw in I'm still waiting for an order that I placed on May 19th, that I called about replacing on June 17th and got a blank shipping email a week later on June 24th that I still have not gotten on July 23rd. I keep forgetting to call them about it.

Has anyone who got the, "your refund or replacement may take two more weeks" email last week, actually gotten their items shipped?
Got one of these emails 2 weeks ago and got a refund earlier this week (which is ok, preferred refund anyway). I found out about the refund by checking my credit card only, no other notice

Got one of these emails 2 weeks ago and got a refund earlier this week (which is ok, preferred refund anyway). I found out about the refund by checking my credit card only, no other notice
Appreciate you. I looked today but no dice. I'd probably take my $440 back, pay the extra $100 scalper tax and move on. Ridiculous.

I don't think those receipt feedback surveys count for much anymore. It seems like things are accelerating really fast for GS and many stores will he closing in the not-too-distant future because of COVID and the looming new digital consoles. You are better off calling GS and getting a replacement. A refund could be difficult if you're not willing to ship your items back.
Store's are getting bombarded.

Leave the feedback. Good or Bad .. be heard!

Called for a replacement on the 8th for a missing package, got that email on the 13th. No confirmation about my replacement and no replacement to date.

It's weird that nothing can get really Gamestop's attention for customer service other than going to the store. I saw the rapper jean Grae on twitter have the same type of problems and tweeting them did nothing. Most stores and brands would say something but not a thing.

The PS4 game they sent me.

Yh4OroY.jpeg

Sure, if a store has two copies of a game, they are shipping the one without the case. Who wants a store with shelves full of the generic cases? Beyond that, most games they don't have multiple copies of, especially last gen, unless its some crappy sports title or $5 shooter. You are usually getting the only copy they have. When you order from the website you just have to expect it won't have a case. If you get one, its a bonus. For the most part unless its a real steal on the website, I stick to only cartridge games, PS3, PS4, and XBOX One. Any other discs get scratched too easily. If I get one without a case, and its a case I really wanted, i will go to the local stores and see if they will let me swap out. I try not to do that to them too much, because again, who wants shelves full of generic cases? Also there is an easy way to tell if your item came from the warehouse or a store. Warehouse games comes with the UPS return slip, stores come with the packing slip printed on a piece of paper. Knowing what city the Gamestop is in isn't that helpful either though, what kind of Podunk city only has 1 Gamestop? We have three and I don't live in big city or anything like that.

It's weird that nothing can get really Gamestop's attention for customer service other than going to the store. I saw the rapper jean Grae on twitter have the same type of problems and tweeting them did nothing. Most stores and brands would say something but not a thing.
You're right. I'd suspect that having a B+M near-monopoly combined with knowing that their business model will "soon" lead to inevitable closure is increasing their disinterest day-by-day.

A company this big, in such a volatile and complicated market, needs someone with a long-term vision directing innovations and priorities, but they definitely don't have that.

CAG: "GameStop customer service is trash and everything I order ships in trash condition, especially the cheap stuff."

After midnight and new online sale is live.

CAG: "Sale is live, I ordered 30 $5 games. I hope they have cases and I get the right games."

The PS4 game they sent me.
Cool, the game doubles as a coaster!

CAG: "GameStop customer service is trash and everything I order ships in trash condition, especially the cheap stuff."

After midnight and new online sale is live.

CAG: "Sale is live, I ordered 30 $5 games. I hope they have cases and I get the right games."
I hate how accurate this is. I've had tons of problems with them over the last year or so and yet, I keep giving them money. Part of me thinks it's because GS is the last remaining store from my younger deal hunting days that's still around...

EDIT* Looks like Ys VIII Switch is sold out... guess I'll never get my replacement now.

Decent stealth bump early this morning. $35 base on 1st party Switch titles.

$25 base on Mario Party 8 Wii
$15 Wii Sports

Wii 1st party got good bumps

Called again about my missing AC New Horizons and Ys VIII order from June 24th... they never sent my replacement. Status was suck in investigating and waiting for me to return the items that UPS shows was never delivered. 

Like, Jesus... come on. 

Then the guy says a replacement order was created and I would get my items by next week, even though Ys VIII is sold out. Guessing I'm gonna get AC only and be screwed out of the $33 or whatever I paid for Ys VIII. 

People talk about how if gamestop goes away, there will be nobody left to act as a national used game reseller, or dedicated stand alone chain to sell new games. But the thing is, that would only be the case because gamestop bought out all thier competition so that they would be the only place left for people to choose from, so that they could do their abusive tactics to employees and customers.

But if they do go away, i can't help but feel like somebody else will come in and take thier place, even if it's not on such a national scale, or happening right away.

And frankly, gamestop is really just a toy store that sells some video games now, anyways, and I'm sick of seeing them destroy current and retro games because they hire morons who don't know what they are doing and tell them to throw away cases, ect. Personally, i feel like the sooner they are out of business, the better it is for all of us game collectors in the long run.

Called again about my missing AC New Horizons and Ys VIII order from June 24th... they never sent my replacement. Status was suck in investigating and waiting for me to return the items that UPS shows was never delivered.

Like, Jesus... come on.

Then the guy says a replacement order was created and I would get my items by next week, even though Ys VIII is sold out. Guessing I'm gonna get AC only and be screwed out of the $33 or whatever I paid for Ys VIII.
The incompetence, jesus. Sorry:(. And they even sent you a damn email saying they had your replacement like all of us. Might just need to call and get an immediate refund. No excuses for that.

Something odd is going on with the free shipping. In Firefox you have to spend $40 to get free shipping, but in Chrome you have to spend $45 to get free shipping.

People talk about how if gamestop goes away, there will be nobody left to act as a national used game reseller, or dedicated stand alone chain to sell new games. But the thing is, that would only be the case because gamestop bought out all thier competition so that they would be the only place left for people to choose from, so that they could do their abusive tactics to employees and customers.

But if they do go away, i can't help but feel like somebody else will come in and take thier place, even if it's not on such a national scale, or happening right away.

And frankly, gamestop is really just a toy store that sells some video games now, anyways, and I'm sick of seeing them destroy current and retro games because they hire morons who don't know what they are doing and tell them to throw away cases, ect. Personally, i feel like the sooner they are out of business, the better it is for all of us game collectors in the long run.
Doubtful GS would just vanish overnight, like others have said many times, they have no debt so they can weather the storm pretty well. Not to mention, we keep buying from them no matter how bad the service and inventory gets.

If they do become extinct, or even downsize dramatically to a sustainable entity, we would probably start seeing the low value stuff hitting the thrift stores for cheap and the higher value would be on ebay, but with increased amounts, the prices would likely come down. GS has a pretty big footprint, so that demand for game inventory would have to flow somewhere, maybe we see bigger selections and sales/clearance in the big box stores, etc. Looks like digital is picking up steam the the future is going to be there, but even with all the digital video and music availability, wally world still have physical media bargain bins overflowing...maybe there is hope for collectors but we might not even care at some point.

It's all speculation at this point, but it will work out just fine...maybe better

Doubtful GS would just vanish overnight, like others have said many times, they have no debt so they can weather the storm pretty well. Not to mention, we keep buying from them no matter how bad the service and inventory gets.
This x1000. It's the same posters in here for years complaining about the service, the quality of disks, the lack of cases, the horrible website. Yet every sale they're ordering/buying stuff and then coming here to complain it. At this point anyone continuing to buy from them is getting what they deserve.

I’ve actually had almost exclusively positive experiences with GameStop, but the three closest stores all closed permanently and the fourth is in a mall that is still closed, so I’m not sure what they will do when the mall opens. At least one of the stores was a prestige, so it may not be doomsday yet, but times are definitely changing.

Jean grae huh? Interesting... What were her problems with Gamestop?

Can confirm 20% trade bonus for ghosts of sushima works with PUR 10% and the stealth bump.

Examples: 

Need for speed heat ps4/xbox 29.25

Call of duty modern warfare ps4/xbox 39.00

MLB 20 The show 22.75

Some trade movers from BBY to GS

Assassin's Creed Odyssey PS4 14.99 --> 19.25

Witcher 3 Wild Hunt Complete PS4 16.99 --> 19.25

Can confirm 20% trade bonus for ghosts of sushima works with PUR 10% and the stealth bump.
Examples:
MLB 20 The show 22.75

Need for speed up to $24 with PUR, nice! Bought a lot of those when they were $25 and 50% off on top of that. Time to trade in the ones that didn't come with cases.

Full stealth bump list anyone?

Also, does anyone else have to avoid certain stores when trading in games? There's some stores where they try to charge refurbishing fees on nearly everything. If it's missing a box they try to charge the fee and if you argue it they say they don't have to take the trade in then or they'll point out a tiny mark and use that as the excuse. They also examine the discs and try to charge a fee for any random scratch or mark. The manager is actually cool about it and doesn't do this but there are two very weird junior detective game associates who take the job too seriously and try to charge refurbishing fees on everything, check your account history and question you why you're buying the same game you bought a few days ago, try to make you put the entire amount instead of just $5 on trade in promotions, and basically try to do anything to shut down any promotion or lie and tell you it doesn't work. They are low level employees but try to act like the police or a manager. One time I was in the store and the game associate was trying to stop a guy from buying multiple copies of a game because it means he's a reseller and the manager came out and told him it was fine. I have learned to avoid these stores. But I am wondering about the reasoning as to why there are low level employees who try to play detective or district manager and do anything they can to make your experience bad.

It's also sad that there might have been millions of good discs through the years charged refurbishing fees for minor marks and then they make their way to GS refurbishing center which literally ruins the discs in many cases and makes them look worse. It makes me wonder how many cases, discs, etc. GS destroyed on their own. How many Wii U discs were ruined by GS? I can imagine people trading in Wii U games with one tiny scratch but they still work fine then they get "refurbished" by GS and are now destroyed.

Also, the same junior detectives refuse to take in the same game on multiple consoles. So if you bring in Need for Speed Heat on PS4 and Xbone they will say they can only take one in even though it's a different SKU and not the same product. I always thought they can only take in one of the same game on the same system but they go ahead and make up their own weird rules for reasons I can't comprehend.

If they do become extinct, or even downsize dramatically to a sustainable entity, we would probably start seeing the low value stuff hitting the thrift stores for cheap and the higher value would be on ebay, but with increased amounts, the prices would likely come down. GS has a pretty big footprint, so that demand for game inventory would have to flow somewhere, maybe we see bigger selections and sales/clearance in the big box stores, etc. Looks like digital is picking up steam the the future is going to be there, but even with all the digital video and music availability, wally world still have physical media bargain bins overflowing...maybe there is hope for collectors but we might not even care at some point.

It's all speculation at this point, but it will work out just fine...maybe better
I expect the opposite to happen for physical games. Sure maybe some video games make it to thrift stores more often but I go thrift shopping a lot and stores in my area have no idea what they are selling and want stupid prices for junk like five year old sports games. I've sold games on ebay but never bought one but I have bought lots of other stuff. Sellers mimic each other, if one guy is selling a game for $20 then the next guy will too or maybe reduce it a penny or two. Doesnt seem to matter if it actually sells at that price. So i would anticipate mostly the same Buy It Now prices on a specific game with sporadic auctions where pricing eventually reaches close to the Buy It Now price anyway because everyone is trying to save a buck. Ebay isnt quick and easy for the average person with setting up the listing, packaging and so on. I'm thinking more people will just keep the games or maybe trade within forum type groups. I sell stuff on Marketplace and that's its own hassle with meeting people and no shows. I just dont imagine the average person doing any of that when before mom could take little timmy to Gamestop after grocery shopping and get credit for the game he didnt want anymore. We have a few mom and pop game shops around here but their prices are always more on everything because of the overhead, thats not going to change.

Examples:

MLB 20 The show 22.75

xb1 getting no love. i have several games where the ps4 version got the bump but not xb1.

lol black ops 2 on 360 is $15.

xb1 getting no love. i have several games where the ps4 version got the bump but not xb1.

lol black ops 2 on 360 is $15.
Shit, you're right. I had grabbed a copy of Monster Energy Supercross 3 for each system during the recent 50% because they traded in for $22 at the time and were on sale for $15 (got them for $7.50) and I didn't know if it was a glitch since they were normally $55. The PS4 got bumped back up, but the XB1 didn't. Might have to dump a lot of my 50% off games that I'm having buyers remorse about depending on if theres a promo in Saturdays ad. Don't really want to go through the hassle of buying copies of GoT and returning them

Shit, you're right. I had grabbed a copy of Monster Energy Supercross 3 for each system during the recent 50% because they traded in for $22 at the time and were on sale for $15 (got them for $7.50) and I didn't know if it was a glitch since they were normally $55. The PS4 got bumped back up, but the XB1 didn't. Might have to dump a lot of my 50% off games that I'm having buyers remorse about depending on if theres a promo in Saturdays ad. Don't really want to go through the hassle of buying copies of GoT and returning them
When was MES 3 on sale for $15??? That's a great deal! Had to be a glitch lol. I paid $40 for mine with no regrets but $15 is wild.

I’d love to take part in the stealth bump if I could find a copy of ghost, is GameStop buying way less physical copies now? They used to have dozens of big new release games in stock.

Yes, which also means more chances of getting a gutted copy now or having to search stores to find games... The inventory not updating for games with 1 copy in stock makes it even harder.

Also, I don't care how good the deals are on the site. After my last ordeal I am doing store purchases only and not holding on too much credit. Some stores and randomly closing and inventory is low so if I see something rare or good or a good deal comes along I use my credit up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back