2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
What time does the tiv update Saturday morning? Im ready to blow my brains out
log in on the web browser and save the current trade values. Good all day for 8/1. Planning to go after work

edited - they stopped saving half way through just now but I did take screenshots. Maybe if you have a good store manager they will honor it if values change. Luckily my store manager is pretty cool about that kind of stuff.

Bump prices are still showing as of 5am Eastern, which is later than they lasted last Saturday, so hopefully they will stay at least for today.

With a receipt and unopened? No problem whatsoever.
You will get some long hard stares when you return GoT or Paper Mario with the "LONGEST ASS RECEIPT THEY HAVE EVER SEEN", so I usually just keep the game and flip it to amazon. Always forget to ask for a gift receipt! :beer:

Was holding on placing an order under the “Spend $100, get 1/2 off” deal, in the hopes of getting the monthly $5 cert to stack, but even with manually typing it in - no dice. Maybe they finally fixed the trick where you could use the monthly cert both in-store and online? Oh well, it’s still a good deal, if you can find decent titles in stock.

Was holding on placing an order under the “Spend $100, get 1/2 off” deal, in the hopes of getting the monthly $5 cert to stack, but even with manually typing it in - no dice. Maybe they finally fixed the trick where you could use the monthly cert both in-store and online? Oh well, it’s still a good deal, if you can find decent titles in stock.
It still works online, the 1/2 off deal has just been set up to not stack with anything this time.

Did anyone else reserve a copy of Streets of Rage 4 for the Switch with GameStop? It was released yesterday but my store didn't get a copy in. They still don't have it today and have no idea what's going on. Can you cancel a fully paid pre-order? Best Buy has it in stock near me so I'd rather just buy it from them now. I can't trust GameStop to get this figured out in a timely manner.

You will get some long hard stares when you return GoT or Paper Mario with the "LONGEST ASS RECEIPT THEY HAVE EVER SEEN", so I usually just keep the game and flip it to amazon. Always forget to ask for a gift receipt! :beer:
I am actually planning to exchange my Paper Mario for a GoT when they restock so hopefully that won't be an issue since it's basically the same promo.

Did Gamestop give up on retro gaming? I was having a hard time finding retro games yesterday and consoles seem non-existent.
If they did, it wouldn't surprise me. I've had pretty poor luck with retro games (anything pre PS3/360/Wii)... I'd say 15% of my cart based games are fakes and another 10% don't work. I'd say 35% of the disc based games I received from them do not work or arrived with the cracked centers. They probably lose a lot of money on them, even with the laughable trade in values.

Someone asked about points a while ago: I traded in at 4pm last night and my points are posted already this morning.
Wait, you get points on trade ins? Advertisement says you get points on purchases only?

Did anyone else reserve a copy of Streets of Rage 4 for the Switch with GameStop? It was released yesterday but my store didn't get a copy in. They still don't have it today and have no idea what's going on. Can you cancel a fully paid pre-order? Best Buy has it in stock near me so I'd rather just buy it from them now. I can't trust GameStop to get this figured out in a timely manner.
I didn't reserve one, called my local store and they only had one in...

What all is needed when returning a game in store that you ordered online? My buy 3 get 2 order game in yesterday and one of the games doesn’t work

Anyone else having issues placing an order? I keep getting this regardless of which credit card used:

Oops! We can’t process your payment. Please select a different payment method or check your payment details including your billing address.

I traded in a bunch of games in one transaction a few weeks ago and want to trade in another copy of a same game from that batch, I wonder if they would see it or not depending how high it was on the order they were scanned in.

Anyone else having issues placing an order? I keep getting this regardless of which credit card used:

Oops! We can’t process your payment. Please select a different payment method or check your payment details including your billing address.
I get that alot on my home PC. My workaround is to leave everything in my cart with the payment info, while staying logged in via PC, then log onto GS via mobile a 2nd time (not app, just the regular GS website). Then simply go through the motions, Checkout, Payment Method, Review Order, finally Place Order. "Your order has been placed!" Your payment method carries over when you log in a 2nd time, so you don't need to re-enter anything.

Their HTML has different source for PC versus mobile. Mobile seems to always go through, although it's much easier to shop and enter payment via PC. Their PC source code has been wonky at best, ever since the previous website downgrade somewhere around 2019.

I generally use gift cards.

Hope that helps.

Also trade bumps valid today as well. Traded in a bunch of games earlier.

So should I trade in my extra copy of wii sports now toward mafia or hold out for a $5 promo? What are the odds that value holds?

I get that alot on my home PC. My workaround is to leave everything in my cart with the payment info, while staying logged in via PC, then log onto GS via mobile a 2nd time (not app, just the regular GS website). Then simply go through the motions, Checkout, Payment Method, Review Order, finally Place Order. "Your order has been placed!" Your payment method carries over when you log in a 2nd time, so you don't need to re-enter anything.

Their HTML has different source for PC versus mobile. Mobile seems to always go through, although it's much easier to shop and enter payment via PC. Their PC source code has been wonky at best, ever since the previous website downgrade somewhere around 2019.

I generally use gift cards.

Hope that helps.

Also trade bumps valid today as well. Traded in a bunch of games earlier.
Tried that. Didn't work. Now I am wondering if I was blocked from ordering online (had to file a couple charge-backs because their CS is trash). Guess I should call and see if anyone can confirm.

Still active. I got $45.50 for splatoon 2 and smash bros
To each their own, but I would never trade in classics like those games... Those are the types of games you can play for years. I'll just assume you had multiples and are flipping them...

So should I trade in my extra copy of wii sports now toward mafia or hold out for a $5 promo? What are the odds that value holds?
Literally no ones knows. Just a few months ago everyone thought GS was liquidating their games and wouldn't open up ever again once they closed for the pandemic. We are now just getting good trade values and promotions again. So there's no way to know what any future trade would be for sure or what even GS will do in the future because they keep changing course. I don't think they even know.

It will be back down to $10 on Monday in all likelihood. Maybe even tomorrow. This is a weird bump.

Last 2+ (?) times the $5 promo has come up it has only been on current gen XB1, PS4, and Switch valued at $3 base and up, so I doubt it's worth it to wait. But who knows!

Tried that. Didn't work. Now I am wondering if I was blocked from ordering online (had to file a couple charge-backs because their CS is trash). Guess I should call and see if anyone can confirm.
I love how companies and people in general work. A company rips you off and refuses to fix it or even respond to you so you go ahead and file a chargeback because there's no other options and then they finally respond to you by banning you. It's like when a bully bullies someone for years on end and then when the person getting bullied finally knocks them out the bullied person is looked at as the bad guy even though they tried to talk to the bully many times and told them nicely to stop.

Classic GS. Harasses you to preorder a game and then you finally give in and they don't get the game in and don't care about your problem. I would insist that they cancel it. Some people are against canceling preorders because they say it hurts the employee but IMO that's not your problem. Blame GS for having a crappy system in place, not the customer for doing something completely reasonable. Some stores also have randomly closed without telling anyone in advance so there's no way in hell I'd let something sit in limbo because then it would be a real hassle to get your money back.

I also preordered streets of rage, but my store never received it. I would just cancell and get it cheaper from a Amazon, but i'm trying to use my points/coupons.

Seems like gamestop doesn't carry new switch game releases instore unless they are from nintendo.
You have to preorder the smaller releases if you want a copy. I'm hoping this SOR4 problem is unique.

I generally have the "Oops!" problem when I try to buy online the same day as I trade as well, perhaps worth mentioning. Although in my experience it's random other times. Just a fart fest, generally during a terrific sale too.

I had suspicions that their outdated systems can't validate a gift card balance even though it verifies it is actually there when I apply a gift card / PUR card, if stuff was recently traded. Not enough time elapsed for the systems to sync .. Multiple systems / bottlenecks? Mobile seems to validate much faster than PC.

Since you tried to purchase via mobile (after cart full, payment selected), I have no more ideas. That's the workaround I use. :(

when you return a game with a gift receipt, will associate see that the game was originally bought using 20% promo trade and a bunch of trades or they don't have access to see this information. My friend is returning Mario paper and i don't want him to see how i got it to him lol

I traded in Witcher 3 for Switch yesterday and just now realized the girl put in the PS4 value. So I got $22.75 instead of $39.00... I doubt they'll correct it. :/

Otherwise, it was nice to be able to trade and get decent values again!

I traded in Witcher 3 for Switch yesterday and just now realized the girl put in the PS4 value. So I got $22.75 instead of $39.00... I doubt they'll correct it. :/

Otherwise, it was nice to be able to trade and get decent values again!
Various stores try to rip me off too. Cheap games / HW in place of pricey games / HW I'm trading in. You need to study the keypad while they scan everything in. Don't walk away to shop, while they scan your pile. After you sign, good luck.

Various stores try to rip me off too. Cheap games in place of pricey games I'm trading in. You need to study the keypad while they scan everything in. Don't walk away to shop, while they scan your pile. After you sign, good luck.
I was just about to say the say thing. I also write down all of the values on a piece of paper to make sure I'm getting the right values for each game and the total I'm suppose to receive.

Well, I called and they placed the order for me. Says it went through but I'll wait until I get email confirmation. They claim they're having issues with their website as there have been a few other people not able to place orders today. Wouldn't surprise me.

Edit: And I got a cancellation email. I must be blocked. Guess I’ll have to call again.

Various stores try to rip me off too. Cheap games / HW in place of pricey games / HW I'm trading in. You need to study the keypad while they scan everything in. Don't walk away to shop, while they scan your pile. After you sign, good luck.
I know. I usually always check the pad and know the values ahead of time. This time I checked the first few and got lax. I'm outta practice lol.

I doubt they'll correct it. :/
Call the store asap, ask to speak to a manager, and politely explain what happened. The problem reaches further than you getting shorted. It means the store's inventory is now off. If management is slightly competent they will be inclined to correct it.

Yup, that's what I was worried about lol. Or even have them say something or go JD and flag. Only had like 10 games on each purchase but hopefully that still arises no problems.

It will be back down to $10 on Monday in all likelihood. Maybe even tomorrow. This is a weird bump.

Last 2+ (?) times the $5 promo has come up it has only been on current gen XB1, PS4, and Switch valued at $3 base and up, so I doubt it's worth it to wait. But who knows!
Valid point on the current gen promo trend. I will be out tomorrow so if it holds I will trade it. Also found an extra Minecraft PS3 that is showing $11tiv at the moment. Was hoping to get lucky on a pile of old sports (200X) I had from a couple lots but no dice.

I'm halfway tempted to try an extra copy of Destroy All Humans! for OGXB...anybody ever have them mix up remake stuff and take it in?

Well, I called and they placed the order for me. Says it went through but I'll wait until I get email confirmation. They claim they're having issues with their website as there have been a few other people not able to place orders today. Wouldn't surprise me.

Edit: And I got a cancellation email. I must be blocked. Guess I’ll have to call again.
I cant place orders either, paypal, credit cards, trade credit, I get denied every single time. thing is I havent done any charge backs.

I also preordered streets of rage, but my store never received it. I would just cancell and get it cheaper from a Amazon, but i'm trying to use my points/coupons.

Seems like gamestop doesn't carry new switch game releases instore unless they are from nintendo.
You have to preorder the smaller releases if you want a copy. I'm hoping this SOR4 problem is unique.
That's exactly what I ended up doing. Saw it was a few bucks cheaper on Amazon, bought it there, and cancelled my GameStop copy. This was the first time something like this happened and I know circumstances aren't exactly normal right now. I paid mine off upfront with store credit from their last $5 trade-in bonus, so I'll just have some extra credit back.

As others have suggested, just give them a call. I've been known to put a game in a sleeve inside another game and at my homestore they never check for scratches so I'd end up calling them up a few hours later saying "I left an extra game in this other case, can you hold it for me until next time?" and they always do. Most store managers are quite reasonable and can easily check out all the new pre-owned stickers they had to printed that day to confirm your story and make you whole. Just be courteous!

Let go of some of my trade pile while the values were bumped and I got $22.75 for Wii Sports Resort. Holding onto some to see if we get a $5 promo.

So the trade bump is in addition to what the website/app shows? For example, the Witcher 3 complete edition PS4 shows $19.50 on the app - does that mean I would get an additional $5 in-store?

So the trade bump is in addition to what the website/app shows? For example, the Witcher 3 complete edition PS4 shows $19.50 on the app - does that mean I would get an additional $5 in-store?
IF there was a $5 bonus going on, that would be added to what the app shows. Right now, however, we have a stealth bump, not a $5 bonus, so $19.25 is the actual value. The only way to add value to that right now would be to trade towards Ghost of Tsushima or Paper Mario to trigger a 20% bonus. That would be applied to the base price of $17.50, so it would add $3.50, so you would get $21 as a regular member or $22.75 as a Pro member.

However, depending on where you live, it’s likely that your store may be already closed for the night. Tomorrow starts a new week, so it’s possible that a $5 bonus will show up, or it’s possible that the current bump will disappear, or both or neither.

IF there was a $5 bonus going on, that would be added to what the app shows. Right now, however, we have a stealth bump, not a $5 bonus, so $19.25 is the actual value. The only way to add value to that right now would be to trade towards Ghost of Tsushima or Paper Mario to trigger a 20% bonus. That would be applied to the base price of $17.50, so it would add $3.50, so you would get $21 as a regular member or $22.75 as a Pro member.

However, depending on where you live, it’s likely that your store may be already closed for the night. Tomorrow starts a new week, so it’s possible that a $5 bonus will show up, or it’s possible that the current bump will disappear, or both or neither.
I'm in California - I still have an hour. I probably won't play the Witcher 3 on the PS4 ever again, but I am still hesitant cause there is nothing that I wanna buy right now.

Thanks for the great response

Call the store asap, ask to speak to a manager, and politely explain what happened. The problem reaches further than you getting shorted. It means the store's inventory is now off. If management is slightly competent they will be inclined to correct it.
Whenever I've had an error like the wrong game put in the case or something, they've always been able to verify it by checking their inventory. You should be able to get this fixed like he says when they see that they are off in just the right way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back