2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if this has been asked repeatedly but I did not see an answer the past few pages.

For the game coin has it been confirmed we need to preorder and pay the full cost of the game in advance? I have $5 down on Cyberpunk and Watch Dogs and planned to pick them up and pay them on release days. 

I saw Resident Evil 3 was still a $22 trade in and was in my backlog.  Started it Friday and will have it complete this morning, but it's down to $13 now. :(

Is it just me or is anyone else sick and tired of these multiple variants of 50% off? How can a company have buy 5 19.99 and under games for 50% at the same time that it offers buy 4 14.99 and under games for $30 at the same time it offers buy $30 new and get 30% off used. Huh? Why can't Gamestop just offer 50% off preowned games, period, and watch their sales soar through the roof and clear space for next gen? Why are all of these now running concurrently????

It baffles me that they can allow trade in loopholes and pricing glitches that would immediately bankrupt other smaller companies and that people continuously take advantage of. Then, they run a supposed "sale" to move product that discourages buyers with weird, inconsistent buying requirements. You need a PHD in math and business to figure out Gamestop sales and determine how Gamestop can possibly still be in business.

Is it just me or is anyone else sick and tired of these multiple variants of 50% off? How can a company have buy 5 19.99 and under games for 50% at the same time that it offers buy 4 14.99 and under games for $30 at the same time it offers buy $30 new and get 30% off used. Huh? Why can't Gamestop just offer 50% off preowned games, period, and watch their sales soar through the roof and clear space for next gen? Why are all of these now running concurrently????

It baffles me that they can allow trade in loopholes and pricing glitches that would immediately bankrupt other smaller companies and that people continuously take advantage of. Then, they run a supposed "sale" to move product that discourages buyers with weird, inconsistent buying requirements. You need a PHD in math and business to figure out Gamestop sales and determine how Gamestop can possibly still be in business.
I assume it's a case of "the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing."

Just look at the Pro Day sale - 20% off two games. They're pushing their PAID membership program with a deal that is worse than the current (and common) non-member sale.

It really seems like different people or divisions are in charge of all of these different sales and don't communicate effectively at all. It's probably always been this way when you look at the number of times that sales and trade-in bonuses have overlapped creating all of the "boomerang" chaos that we keep seeing. That sort of thing should never happen (from the business's stand-point).

Frankly, if I were in charge, at the very least I'd hire a "Wait, this is stupid" Czar, and pay him $50,000 a year to watch every sale and trade-in value change and when something silly goes on between them, to have the ability to tweek things or at least get someone else to do it. It's not that hard; they're a major corporation.

1) Supply would not outlast demand.
2) They seem to be using a mix-methods approach for determining the most lucrative sale tactic while wanting to make room.

Either way, I just got 14 games yesterday for $40, and that’s not a bad day. Hope you feel better.

Collectors: Do you have this? Do you have this? Do you have this? Do you have this? Oh, you do? Can I see the case?
My guess is they will start printing out a binder with their actual stock for people to flip thru at the counter and get some COVID.

Ideally, we'd be able to use the website to view a specific store's stock, maybe that is what the "get it fast - store pickup" filter is supposed to eventually be? :dunce:

- I haven't gotten the coupon from the "spend $75 get $10 coupon" either...
I haven't gotten any points for any transactions after 9-14. (had in-store and online). Missing quite a few offers as well. :oops:

Is it just me or is anyone else sick and tired of these multiple variants of 50% off?
I'd prefer any type of 50% off sale to no sale! :grouphug:

My guess is they will start printing out a binder with their actual stock for people to flip thru at the counter and get some COVID.

Ideally, we'd be able to use the website to view a specific store's stock, maybe that is what the "get it fast - store pickup" filter is supposed to eventually be? :dunce:

I haven't gotten any points for any transactions after 9-14. (had in-store and online). Missing quite a few offers as well. :oops:

I'd prefer any type of 50% off sale to no sale! :grouphug:
I'd prefer that they just bring back the Elite Pro 20% off along with stacking coupons for CAG and Slickdeals. Ensuring an every day great price structure instead of the constant "Promotional Savings". Pretty soon they'll be worse than Shell Fuel Up Rewards. Save 5% off a Pre-Owned game if you purchase a pack of masks at the counter with Power Up Rewards!

i’m all for the elimination of gutted games...that practice is bs without an “open box” discount.

the forced employee interaction sounds awful for both the customer and the employee.

i can’t imagine how much more painful waiting in line will become...

Anyone know of this new reset gamestop is doing to the stores? According to some of the employees on reddit, they are taking both the new and preowned copies off the shelves and just sticking placeholders for the top-selling games up there with a new and preowned price sticker. So, now we have to ask the employee if they have a game and if it has the original case for every game???? This sounds disastrous...

Links to gamestops subreddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GameStop/comments/ja138r/so_about_this_new_reset/

https://www.reddit.com/r/GameStop/comments/jc28l8/please_explain_the_move_from_guts/
I feel like there's some exec at GS corporate that's a massive troll... it always feels like whenever they take some steps in the right direction, the take some steps- not backwards but, to the left/right?

Regarding the top X lists is actually a good idea because it seems like people these days love lists but it makes 0 sense to show stuff that they will not have in stock... I guess it might be that they're expanding their web orders in store.

What are the rules around using Game Coin? Can it be used on pre-orders? Also, what happens if you return the game that earned you the Game Coin after using the Game Coin?

I feel like there's some exec at GS corporate that's a massive troll... it always feels like whenever they take some steps in the right direction, the take some steps- not backwards but, to the left/right?
Don’t mean to throw dirt or accuse at all, just an interesting “what if” thought experiment. With how many loopholes customers can seem to find, what do you think an employee could get away with if they were exploiting or creating loopholes for their own benefit? Someone, or a group in strategic positions, manipulating and taking advantage of trade loopholes somehow, or even company wide, shifting around inventory and skimming the extra trade credit that is generated? Shifting it for tax or shareholder reporting purposes. I don’t know, just thinking of how anything like that could work. Not accusing the company of anything at all, just pulled that all out of thin air.

As others have mentioned though, any normal sensible company would want to shut exploits down ASAP, unless they or someone in power somehow benefit as well? Either that or it’s just negligence and incompetence. It’s just ridiculous that they don’t have measures in place to stop trade values from exceeding purchase price with promos overall after all these years, it can’t be that difficult.

GameStop has demonstrated they are willing to bend the rules of common practice and standard definition if it saves them a buck, with their unique definition of “new”. This gives them advantages at the expense of the consumer. An example of how it could be further exploited: they get a nice looking trade in, what’s to stop them from just reselling it as new by their definition? We just have to take their word for it. Probably doesn’t happen company wide, we would hear about it, but on an individual basis, I’m sure it’s happened.

I saw rumors that they opened Xenoblade wii copies back in the day to sell used at a premium. Any actual proof of that? Placing desirable items for sale as part of bundles only, not a huge deal, but something they clearly do more than others. What about when switches were all out of stock in store when Covid started? Again, pretty baseless, but I noticed one of the top sellers on eBay at the time was a warehouse near their headquarters. Sold 500 plus at $600 each I think. They were just one of many mass sellers. The candidates that would just happen to have that much inventory available are few. It was probably some behind the scenes 3rd party distributor, but if I had to pick a retailer that I was aware of, most likely to pull something shady with their inventory for additional profit, it would be GameStop. Or a rogue employee able to get away with rerouting a bunch of inventory, also GameStop would be my bet. Not saying any of that actually happened, I have no place to other than what I’ve just stated, but i think it is a possibility. Any other examples or possibilities for internal exploit? An up and up company would do that type of investigation themselves and already have it locked down with lots of transparency and oversight, wonder if that is the case for GameStop.

What are the rules around using Game Coin? Can it be used on pre-orders? Also, what happens if you return the game that earned you the Game Coin after using the Game Coin?
You will incur a negative point balance or reduction in points if you have a positive balance.

I didn't have any proday games. Oddly enough it give me 50% for 5 games, but not 30%/40$ for 3 and 4. If I have 3/4 I only get 20% off. So only 2 or 5, nothing inbetween.
Same here. Looks like we'll just have to wait until tomorrow for the Pro Days deal to go away.

You will incur a negative point balance or reduction in points if you have a positive balance.
This is correct, but remember that a G2L title returned within the first two days should be handled as a trade-in, not a return - so Game Coin wouldn't be taken back. Getting it issued at all in the first place, now THERE's the tricky part...

This is correct, but remember that a G2L title returned within the first two days should be handled as a trade-in, not a return - so Game Coin wouldn't be taken back. Getting it issued at all in the first place, now THERE's the tricky part...
You are assuming he is trading in. It seems to me he is trying to do a return without opening the game.

I’m still waiting for GameStop to fix their app. Eliminating the TIV option was a terrible move. Especially when they rely on them as a business.

I’m still waiting for GameStop to fix their app. Eliminating the TIV option was a terrible move. Especially when they rely on them as a business.
it's back, kind of...under the profile section...just takes you to the website but it's better than nothing...

In the past I know it was frowned upon to buy a game coin eligible game, return it after the 72 hours (?), and keep the game coin... BUT gamestop has been jerking us all around with this stupid game coin promo.

Seems like most people SHOULD have hypothetically gotten game coins for Madden, Avengers, FIFA, Crash, or any other G2L game, but never did. And since the freaking employees can't even do their jobs right and are processing these games as returns instead of G2L trades within the 2 day period, it makes it a lot harder than it needs to be.

Their website redesign has also broken the sort by price feature AGAIN. Just when you think they can't change something else for the worst, they say "hold my beer" and do something even more retarded than what they had done in the past.

Then, they run a supposed "sale" to move product that discourages buyers with weird, inconsistent buying requirements.
I will be happy when this Pro Day sale ends, as it has made the B2G2 a nightmare trying to get it to work with Pro Day stuff (since the Pro Day games had to be the ones you were paying for), the buy 5 get 50% off doesn't work with any of the Pro Day discounted games, and I think it screwed up the sorting feature

I tried to renew my pro in store today and they weren't able to do it. They said I'm still technically elite pro and it has to expire first. Did that happen to anyone else and did you find a workaround?

I tried to renew my pro in store today and they weren't able to do it. They said I'm still technically elite pro and it has to expire first. Did that happen to anyone else and did you find a workaround?
I've also been told that since I am EP I can't renew until it dies.

I'd prefer that they just bring back the Elite Pro 20% off along with stacking coupons for CAG and Slickdeals.
Or how about..... spend PUR points for B2G2 coupons!

I will be happy when this Pro Day sale ends, as it has made the B2G2 a nightmare trying to get it to work with Pro Day stuff (since the Pro Day games had to be the ones you were paying for), the buy 5 get 50% off doesn't work with any of the Pro Day discounted games, and I think it screwed up the sorting feature
Seems like all the pro-day sales did end in-store - stuff was ringing up at normal non-pro prices and working with 50% off 5... (ie - Rabids was $50) ... so likely an off week for me. I'm just hoping the last week of Oct will be a trade bump + 5 promo! :whee:

Or how about..... spend PUR points for B2G2 coupons!

Seems like all the pro-day sales did end in-store - stuff was ringing up at normal non-pro prices and working with 50% off 5... (ie - Rabids was $50) ... so likely an off week for me. I'm just hoping the last week of Oct will be a trade bump + 5 promo! :whee:

Please +5

Don’t mean to throw dirt or accuse at all, just an interesting “what if” thought experiment. With how many loopholes customers can seem to find, what do you think an employee could get away with if they were exploiting or creating loopholes for their own benefit? Someone, or a group in strategic positions, manipulating and taking advantage of trade loopholes somehow, or even company wide, shifting around inventory and skimming the extra trade credit that is generated? Shifting it for tax or shareholder reporting purposes. I don’t know, just thinking of how anything like that could work. Not accusing the company of anything at all, just pulled that all out of thin air.

As others have mentioned though, any normal sensible company would want to shut exploits down ASAP, unless they or someone in power somehow benefit as well? Either that or it’s just negligence and incompetence. It’s just ridiculous that they don’t have measures in place to stop trade values from exceeding purchase price with promos overall after all these years, it can’t be that difficult.

GameStop has demonstrated they are willing to bend the rules of common practice and standard definition if it saves them a buck, with their unique definition of “new”. This gives them advantages at the expense of the consumer. An example of how it could be further exploited: they get a nice looking trade in, what’s to stop them from just reselling it as new by their definition? We just have to take their word for it. Probably doesn’t happen company wide, we would hear about it, but on an individual basis, I’m sure it’s happened.

I saw rumors that they opened Xenoblade wii copies back in the day to sell used at a premium. Any actual proof of that? Placing desirable items for sale as part of bundles only, not a huge deal, but something they clearly do more than others. What about when switches were all out of stock in store when Covid started? Again, pretty baseless, but I noticed one of the top sellers on eBay at the time was a warehouse near their headquarters. Sold 500 plus at $600 each I think. They were just one of many mass sellers. The candidates that would just happen to have that much inventory available are few. It was probably some behind the scenes 3rd party distributor, but if I had to pick a retailer that I was aware of, most likely to pull something shady with their inventory for additional profit, it would be GameStop. Or a rogue employee able to get away with rerouting a bunch of inventory, also GameStop would be my bet. Not saying any of that actually happened, I have no place to other than what I’ve just stated, but i think it is a possibility. Any other examples or possibilities for internal exploit? An up and up company would do that type of investigation themselves and already have it locked down with lots of transparency and oversight, wonder if that is the case for GameStop.
They definitely reprinted xenoblade and were selling the new copies as used. Just so they could skirt around selling it for new cheaper and people catching on that it was reprinted and thus the price would tank. Gamestop reprinted it and metroid trilogy at that time iirc. The biggest tells were the cases were different and they all had unused club nintendo codes. People tried to hand wave it away that all the copies magically appearing out of thin air were from the trade in promo they had run previously.

All 13 games from the sale came in. Shipping was pretty quick. 11 of them came complete the 2 red dead 2's came without box art.

Can the $30 game coin coupon be used towards Xbox credit?

Sorry if this has been asked repeatedly but I did not see an answer the past few pages.

For the game coin has it been confirmed we need to preorder and pay the full cost of the game in advance? I have $5 down on Cyberpunk and Watch Dogs and planned to pick them up and pay them on release days.
I inquire with the rep about this since the ad said “pre-purchase” and she replied “oh, just pre-order it and pick it up on release day”. But the gamestop listing of watch dogs legions clearly states that to receive the $20 game coin you need to “pre-purchase the game in full” before launch. So I played it safe and completely paid of the preorder this weekend.

20% off kept taking precedence over 5 for 50% off today online. Gave up. I had gotten good stuff already (except two PS3 games with scratches that need to go back) with an earlier identical promo but I apparently don't have enough games in my collection that I haven't played yet.

Bought a whole bunch of games, in anticipation for a trade bump at the end of the month.

I predict something big is coming, as 1) we're going into the holiday season and 2) there's some high profile games coming out that GS probably will want to push pre-orders for.

If they do +5 I should order all the resident evil games.
Only one I wasn't able to get was RE7 Gold. Everything else was in stock though.

Seems like the whole website is either down, or in a freeze state, because I havent gotten a $30 off for spending $300, my points havent changed at all, and inventory stock checker doesnt work anymore.

Can the $30 game coin coupon be used towards Xbox credit?
Yep, I used it towards a $50 card.... just can't use the $30 coin towards new hardware from what I can tell.

Bought a whole bunch of games, in anticipation for a trade bump at the end of the month.
Yep, just need to wait for the 4 copies / 30 to roll off by the 29th! When do end of month trade bumps usually occur - Thurs/Fri? Hopefully not this week! heh

No I haven't. Also waiting on the $10 coupon for spending $75+ online last week.
I finally got another $30 for $300 coupon (16 days after the last qualifying transaction... still owed like 4 more $30 coins...).

Also still haven't gotten any PURs points for 10-14 transactions or later.... and... Literally the moment I hit enter on this post, all points including yesterday got added. Still missing a bunch of certs/coins

Does anyone know if game coin will work for digital code version as well? trying to see if pre-ordering cyberpunk 2077 xbox digital version will be eligible for the $20 game coin offer.

Does anyone know if game coin will work for digital code version as well? trying to see if pre-ordering cyberpunk 2077 xbox digital version will be eligible for the $20 game coin offer.
Since it's GameStop I doubt it's universally the same for all games, but if it helps I got the $10 bonus earlier this year for the digital copy of Animal Crossing

Can someone remind me on the $10 w/ $60 spend and $10 with $75 spend promos last week?

Was the $10 with $75 on Prime Day and $10 with $60 spend on Pro Day?

I did both, but I'm trying to keep track just in case they don't post and I have to contact customer service.

Thanks

Oh my buy 1 get 1 free games arrived from that sale finally. People complaining about FedEx I will note that this came via UPS. Cold steel Came with the case but no case art, magna carta 2 came with both discs and the case art but in a ps2 case hilariously.

Same thing happened to my older brother who still has elite pro. No workaround. Just gotta wait till it expires.

I feel like I've seen this in the forum before, but when an order show as "awaiting product availability", what does that mean? It was in stock when I ordered, but did I essentially get put in a hold because they went OOS?

I feel like I've seen this in the forum before, but when an order show as "awaiting product availability", what does that mean? It was in stock when I ordered, but did I essentially get put in a hold because they went OOS?
This happened to me as well with one of my games. They adjusted the payment price to exclude the title, so my guess is once it does become available, theyll just charge the card you used.

Yes. There is no guarantee they'll actually ship your order when there is more stock though.

This actually can have 2 different outcomes depending on the situation. 1 time I had this issue, the game disappeared from the site, just would not come up when searched. This sat awaiting product availability for months, before I called and cancelled that game from my order. Another rare game that I ordered several copies of when it was in stock, all went to awaiting product availability, and shipped out one at a time over a two week period. Another 1 I currently have has been awaiting availability for 2 weeks now.

Report from the comicbook website that GameStop will indeed be closed on Thanksgiving Day. No surprise since Target and Walmart will be closed, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back