2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
The $27 Switch games are going to sell out immediately.

And these guys having a pissing match about their bank accounts on a video games deal message board are either (i) fake or (ii) don't have the most basic sense of time value of money.

I've been out of the flipping game for quite a while.  I thought it died when Target/TRU clearance went to crap and Blockbuster and Kmart went out of business.  Not to mention Amazon and Best Buy's trade-in values going to crap.

I honestly have no idea how or what people flip any more.  And I used to be a pro ;).

I don't even think I've set foot in a GS in 2 years.  I had some cards that should have had credit on them that all showed up as being $0 last time I checked.  My spreadsheet still showed I had $100's.  I've sort of soured on them since then.

I don't make nearly what some people on here claim to make but I'm a software engineer with 20+ years experience so I do OK.  I just find that I don't have the time to keep up on all of this.  I used to be all into it 10 years ago and even though I probably didn't "need" to flip to afford things, it was a fun pastime in its own right.  I just don't have it in me any more.  As a bonus, though, what I've been doing the last few years is selling off a lot of that stuff I got 10 years ago from flipping.  Most of it I intended to play at some point but let's face it - at this point I'm not going to play most of my sealed PS2/DS/PSP/etc games.  So it's been nice to cash those out as they were just taking up space.

If anyone could give me the Cliff notes version of what flipping has been for the past 2-3 years I'd like to hear it just out of curiosity.  Because I really thought the opportunities had died off 4-5 years back.

Old CAG habits die hard, though.  I just bought my Xbox One Series X with actual real money at full price.  I don't think I ever bought a console without some sort of store credit balance before.  That was painful.

I've been out of the flipping game for quite a while. I thought it died when Target/TRU clearance went to crap and Blockbuster and Kmart went out of business. Not to mention Amazon and Best Buy's trade-in values going to crap.

I honestly have no idea how or what people flip any more. And I used to be a pro ;).

I don't even think I've set foot in a GS in 2 years. I had some cards that should have had credit on them that all showed up as being $0 last time I checked. My spreadsheet still showed I had $100's. I've sort of soured on them since then.

I don't make nearly what some people on here claim to make but I'm a software engineer with 20+ years experience so I do OK. I just find that I don't have the time to keep up on all of this. I used to be all into it 10 years ago and even though I probably didn't "need" to flip to afford things, it was a fun pastime in its own right. I just don't have it in me any more. As a bonus, though, what I've been doing the last few years is selling off a lot of that stuff I got 10 years ago from flipping. Most of it I intended to play at some point but let's face it - at this point I'm not going to play most of my sealed PS2/DS/PSP/etc games. So it's been nice to cash those out as they were just taking up space.

If anyone could give me the Cliff notes version of what flipping has been for the past 2-3 years I'd like to hear it just out of curiosity. Because I really thought the opportunities had died off 4-5 years back.

Old CAG habits die hard, though. I just bought my Xbox One Series X with actual real money at full price. I don't think I ever bought a console without some sort of store credit balance before. That was painful.
I’m sure I’m going to be corrected. I dabble a little. Mainly GS. It’s honestly (for me) not worth the time and effort. It seems like the majority of what I see are boomerang flips at GS. The best deals seem to be ordering in bulk when they run up to 50% or more off sales, waiting for delivery and hoping prices haven’t dropped by the time the order is received. Seems like the best turnarounds are maybe double your investment. But I see tons of folks talking about making $5-7 on flips.

Remember most of these folks are flipping using credit so it’s not like they’re spending cash.

I haven’t done anything since division 2 where you could buy copies at various retailers fo $8-10 and flip for low 20s.

I know you and I were on here when TRU would have games for $5 and blockbuster would give $30-35 store credit. It was insane. I amassed PS2 and PS3 collections that were ridiculous. It’s nothing like that, at least that I’ve seen. You aren’t missing much.

I've been out of the flipping game for quite a while. I thought it died when Target/TRU clearance went to crap and Blockbuster and Kmart went out of business. Not to mention Amazon and Best Buy's trade-in values going to crap.

I honestly have no idea how or what people flip any more. And I used to be a pro ;).

I don't even think I've set foot in a GS in 2 years. I had some cards that should have had credit on them that all showed up as being $0 last time I checked. My spreadsheet still showed I had $100's. I've sort of soured on them since then.

I don't make nearly what some people on here claim to make but I'm a software engineer with 20+ years experience so I do OK. I just find that I don't have the time to keep up on all of this. I used to be all into it 10 years ago and even though I probably didn't "need" to flip to afford things, it was a fun pastime in its own right. I just don't have it in me any more. As a bonus, though, what I've been doing the last few years is selling off a lot of that stuff I got 10 years ago from flipping. Most of it I intended to play at some point but let's face it - at this point I'm not going to play most of my sealed PS2/DS/PSP/etc games. So it's been nice to cash those out as they were just taking up space.

If anyone could give me the Cliff notes version of what flipping has been for the past 2-3 years I'd like to hear it just out of curiosity. Because I really thought the opportunities had died off 4-5 years back.

Old CAG habits die hard, though. I just bought my Xbox One Series X with actual real money at full price. I don't think I ever bought a console without some sort of store credit balance before. That was painful.
I'm in the same boat, I used to go so hard flipping, making 200+ daily flipping credit between 3 gamestops, blockbuster and best buy. It dried up for me after the flippageddon a few October's ago.

Any way, I too paid full price for my ps5, never done that before.

I only caught on to all the flipping when flipageddon happened. Once I learned how I made probably just over 10k in all. It did help that I am in CA and we had CSAC deals when other places didn't.

Once they nuked the elite pro membership and stopped letting you buy gift cards I just lost interest. I used the last of my trade credit to get the PS5 and an extra controller and I have just a bit left that I spend on PSN cards. It was great while it lasted though.

I'm in the same boat, I used to go so hard flipping, making 200+ daily flipping credit between 3 gamestops, blockbuster and best buy. It dried up for me after the flippageddon a few October's ago.

I only caught on to all the flipping when flipageddon happened. Once I learned how I made probably just over 10k in all. It did help that I am in CA and we had CSAC deals when other places didn't.
See I think i bowed out before this mythical "flippageddon" and missed out on it. I don't even really know what it is (what did I miss!?). I have a spreadsheet where I kept track of my GS purchases and trades and I haven't even edited it for 3+ years. Looks like my last trade there was in Jan. 2017 - so nearly 4 years ago. FYI the spreadsheet starts in 2005. According to it, I should have $420 in credit left - but like I said earlier all my cards were $0 the last time I checked a few years back.

My very first trade in 2005 was apparently Nintendogs which cost me $4.79 and traded for $29.99 (and netted me a $29.99 copy of Lego Star Wars - so it must have been some trade for a game promotion). Somehow in August 2005 I was able to trade a copy of NASCAR 2006 that I got for $11.70 for $49.99. Yeah, I have no idea how - probably the same thing though in that it was a trade-for-a-game thing.

See I think i bowed out before this mythical "flippageddon" and missed out on it. I don't even really know what it is (what did I miss!?). I have a spreadsheet where I kept track of my GS purchases and trades and I haven't even edited it for 3+ years. Looks like my last trade there was in Jan. 2017 - so nearly 4 years ago. FYI the spreadsheet starts in 2005. According to it, I should have $420 in credit left - but like I said earlier all my cards were $0 the last time I checked a few years back.

My very first trade in 2005 was apparently Nintendogs which cost me $4.79 and traded for $29.99 (and netted me a $29.99 copy of Lego Star Wars - so it must have been some trade for a game promotion). Somehow in August 2005 I was able to trade a copy of NASCAR 2006 that I got for $11.70 for $49.99. Yeah, I have no idea how - probably the same thing though in that it was a trade-for-a-game thing.
The shortest answer to your original question is that filippegedon (which happened a few times) was when a gamestop sale (usually a buy 2, get 1 free) would line up with a significant trade boost (sometimes a five dollar bonus on every game traded in with a base value over a dollar or two).

So, you could buy 3 games at one store for, say, 40 dollars, and then "immediately" go to a different store and trade those same games back to gamestop for 50% (or more) back in trade credit. And during this period, there were usually hundreds of different titles with worthwhile values.

So you can see how people, how went back and forth, around and around, with this ended up maxing out their trade credit in a very short time (2000 dollars generally, kind of).

Then add in that some people, because of laxer pawn shop laws, were able to make multiple accounts and horde nearly endless amounts of gamestop credit with very little initial investment and almost no risk.

Many people used a spreadsheet that the CAG user Blackbeard maintained that kept track of the price and trade-in value of every game at gamestop to take even more of the effort out of it. That has its own dramatic storlyine, but we'll let that lie.

There are lots of other opportunities that people have had, but those are the flippegedon events which were the easiest and most fruit-bearing.

Are you hoping that the $27 sale will also drop the preowned game price?
Yep! Usually happens a few hours after the new price drop it seems (like how long it took for Persona 5 R pre-owned to drop from $38 to 28). Might be a small window to overlap promos depending on when / if the online sale starts.

I just find that I don't have the time to keep up on all of this. I used to be all into it 10 years ago and even though I probably didn't "need" to flip to afford things, it was a fun pastime in its own right. I just don't have it in me any more. As a bonus, though, what I've been doing the last few years is selling off a lot of that stuff I got 10 years ago from flipping.

I'm only a fairly recent CAGer (<2 years) so see myself in your shoes eventually. Went thru a MMO decade so had no time to bother with any physical video games outside of Black Friday and getting AAA games on sale I would never play. I only started getting in on re-building my gaming collection when my kids were just born and Toys-R-Us was going out of business (Amiiboes!) Didn't get into "flipping" portion until I realized I missed a ton of credit not waiting for a trade-in promo (+5) when I traded in my first batch of 360/PS3/Wii crap.... and said "never again!" :bomb: Then I got pretty big into flipping gamestop credit to amazon credit, but that's looks to have dried up as amazon tivs are absolute garbage now.

But as others have said, "fun" trade promos = where you go store to store buying and trading in building up balance and points = still an amusing afternoon for me as I have a ton of GS near me and a pretty convenient "route" which I hit a bunch of stores - wally/target/five belows, outlets, clearance, salvage food stores (another example of being cheap!), and occasionally one of those dirty amazon return pallet stores (more to people watch). And as you probably also know - half the fun is to track everything in a spreadsheet. :rofl:

I would like to contribute to the ******* by posting this photo of a single check deposit. And I want to point out...

A. People who have a lot of money keep a lot of money by not spending a lot of money. And

B. This place is just as much about discovering new and overlooked games through deals and discussion than it is about getting cheap games.

20200309_220228_HDR.jpg
And this was to prove exactly? Hoping it's legit as TD can easily cancel out🤷🏻‍♂️

People be on here comparing bank accounts and saying how much they love deals, meanwhile this thread has been people bitching about not getting their game coin. Where’s the deals?

The flipageddon most talk about refers to summer 2017. That was the last one I participated in. They had a tiered trade in bonus up to 6 games (+10% credit each so up to +60%/+70% with elite pro) overlapping a B2G1 deal that made for ridiculous flips and boomerangs. I paid off a ps4 pro and xbox one x entirely in trade credit after a small initial investment. This stuff now is meh and not worth the time imo, but to each their own.

Ha, you and me both. Although I'm a business analyst otherwise pretty much the same story. I've also started 'cleansing' my collection and made quite the fortune so far. Latest item sold was a sealed copy of Demon's Souls LE from 2009 for $400, faulty artbook/mini-strategy guide intact lol. Good shit.

The manager and I get along pretty well. He knows I used all my credit to buy the newest consoles. He laughed and said I have to start spending real money lol. I need another flippemaggedon or +5 on trades to make up lost ground.

What does it mean when you have the required price for free shipping but the site won't give it to you? Is it a glitch? Are they not counting certain sales items?

Ahhh the good old days when this guy was a flipping king and everyone on the boards were making alternate versions of his avatar. Good times.

I actually participated in "flipagpeddon!" It was the only time I was in on flipping in years. But this stuff is just nothing compared to the old GS/Blockbuster/Hollywood Video days.

i wouldn't call it a flip or anything, but my GS closed down in Jan of 2020.

started as a 10 or 20% off used 10% off new in 1st week of dec and then went all the way up to 80% off new 90% off used in the last week of Jan.

spent like 250 or so, got nearly 1k worth of games, all the switch stuff was gone by like 30-40% off new/used. and now? there was a store in my mall, now there is none. sad too, i been going to that location since it was an EB Games in the early 90s, that mall now is so dead, i can't imagine it being open for another year tops.

i wouldn't call it a flip or anything, but my GS closed down in Jan of 2020.

started as a 10 or 20% off used 10% off new in 1st week of dec and then went all the way up to 80% off new 90% off used in the last week of Jan.

spent like 250 or so, got nearly 1k worth of games, all the switch stuff was gone by like 30-40% off new/used. and now? there was a store in my mall, now there is none. sad too, i been going to that location since it was an EB Games in the early 90s, that mall now is so dead, i can't imagine it being open for another year tops.
the closest mall to me is basically dead as well. There used to be a gamestop in the mall, a gamestop across the street from the mall and another gamestop about a block or two away. It was ridiculous.

I actually participated in "flipagpeddon!" It was the only time I was in on flipping in years. But this stuff is just nothing compared to the old GS/Blockbuster/Hollywood Video days.
Ah man, those were the days. Also got so many top notch cheap games from Hollywood Video for the PS1 and PS2.

the closest mall to me is basically dead as well. There used to be a gamestop in the mall, a gamestop across the street from the mall and another gamestop about a block or two away. It was ridiculous.
i had that one and two more, but you have to drive like 10 mins either way from that central GS to hit them.

funny thing too, that mall GS wasn't doing bad in sales or anything.

mall rent was just too damn high and this was pre covid. can't wait for the FYE to die so i can get some cheap stuff.

So if I trade in a ps4 pro towards a ps5, does that mean that I am guaranteed one (ps5) on their batch?

I traded in a few games today and also pre ordered cyber punk. I did not get the trade boost despite it being in their ad. Am I SOL, or can I get it adjusted somehow?

I traded in a few games today and also pre ordered cyber punk. I did not get the trade boost despite it being in their ad. Am I SOL, or can I get it adjusted somehow?
I asked the guy "hmm aren't I supposed to get 30% toward cyberpunk like it said in the ad?" (they canceled that apparently during these black friday deals) then he manually added it. Still shorted me a couple bucks but this employee is usually doing everything wrong anyways so i didnt expect perfection.

Those were the days. New school flippers think they're slick? They have no idea what it was like when shopping malls were still a big thing and you could hit up EBGames, Gamestop, and FYE in the same exact shopping mall and flip games from one store to another. You could get games like GTA: San Andreas and Halo 2 for basically nothing when they were brand new by flipping Room Zoom, Motor Trend Lotus Challenge, Sneakers, Maximum Chase, and other shovelware games that FYE gave top dollar for. Sometimes even random old sports games that were $1.99 at EBGames would flip to FYE for like $20-$30. I miss those days.

It's a weird coincidence that you bring this up because I was just wondering the other day... what did FYE do with all of the unsold used copies of Room Zoom and those other games?
they buried them with ET

Ha, you and me both. Although I'm a business analyst otherwise pretty much the same story. I've also started 'cleansing' my collection and made quite the fortune so far. Latest item sold was a sealed copy of Demon's Souls LE from 2009 for $400, faulty artbook/mini-strategy guide intact lol. Good shit.
Nice. I sold the one sealed copy I kept from way back when just about a year ago. I only got for $200 for it ;). Amazingly, the place I was buying mine at (Fry's) is still in business (I have no idea how). But like most places their video game sales/clearance isn't what it used to be.

The flipageddon most talk about refers to summer 2017. That was the last one I participated in. They had a tiered trade in bonus up to 6 games (+10% credit each so up to +60%/+70% with elite pro) overlapping a B2G1 deal that made for ridiculous flips and boomerangs. I paid off a ps4 pro and xbox one x entirely in trade credit after a small initial investment. This stuff now is meh and not worth the time imo, but to each their own.
Apparently I bowed out right before that. I was always hesitant to flip games back to the same store though. My trades were usually GS->Blockbuster or vice versa (different sets of games - taking advantage of whatever difference in pricing they had). So now that you mention it I think I remember seeing that and thinking it was a bridge too far for me. But I kind of wish I had now!

Ahhh the good old days when this guy was a flipping king and everyone on the boards were making alternate versions of his avatar. Good times.
I totally forgot about that. Yeah, haven't changed my avatar here in, what, 10-12 years? Whenever that original version of Clone Wars came out.

Anyway, now people are talking about coins and monthly certificates and I really don't know what any of that is. I feel so old ;).

So I could afford both systems at once this year and not get stuck on the console my friends weren't on like in 2013, I hatched a plan that included buying the Cyberpunk XB1, trading my Scorpio XB1 and extra Magic cards to buy multiple boxes of the MTG Double Masters reprint set in August, selling those cards for $715 cash, trading my PS4 Pro for $200 GS credit, and cashing out 150k GS reward points for $75 off per system to pay for the Series X ($415 plus tax minus $50 preorder deposit) the PS5 ($220 plus tax minus $50 preorder deposit,) and the XBox Storage Expansion fully paid off (still waiting for it to come in as GS as a company hasn't received them yet.)

I got 15k in points from those purchases that I will likely use on the Fire Emblem CE in December, but then I may be out of the semi flipping business also. No Elite Pro, no points on trade ins consistently (are we getting them again?) not getting all the game coins I should get and not having time to call customer service to get what I'm owed, and much fewer places to buy cheap physical games to flip make me feel like this is the last hurrah for me in getting things for cheaper by flipping.

I'm really going to feel it when things like the Horizon 2 CE are shown off and I may have to pay full retail for that without spending trade credit to drop the actual price paid.

Edit: Also I sold the Cyberpunk XB1 locally last week for $350 cash to a collector that didn't mind slight cosmetic damage on the outer box from shipping/opening it and that the game had already been redeemed b/c the actual system was in near mint condition and I hadn't used the special edition controller b/c I have the Elite v2 controller and a custom color controller from MS (pink and black colored for Bret Hart of course.) :)

Those were the days. New school flippers think they're slick? They have no idea what it was like when shopping malls were still a big thing and you could hit up EBGames, Gamestop, and FYE in the same exact shopping mall and flip games from one store to another. You could get games like GTA: San Andreas and Halo 2 for basically nothing when they were brand new by flipping Room Zoom, Motor Trend Lotus Challenge, Sneakers, Maximum Chase, and other shovelware games that FYE gave top dollar for. Sometimes even random old sports games that were $1.99 at EBGames would flip to FYE for like $20-$30. I miss those days.

It's a weird coincidence that you bring this up because I was just wondering the other day... what did FYE do with all of the unsold used copies of Room Zoom and those other games?
I dunno, I was hoping to buy copies of those games when the stores closed but they moved out used games when the store closing discounts got steeper. I think they legit just dumped them in the trash.

Looks like a B3G1 "deal" is the best we got so far going into BF... and no +5 trade in bonus sadly. 

$300 Switch V2 + MK8 digital + 3mo NOL deal is live now for those still looking for a switch deal  :switch:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back