2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is listed on the spreadsheet for $19.99, but I don't see it anywhere in the ad. Anybody know where that info came from?

edit - Nevermind. I found a newer version with some added pages.

I got 4 games under 14.99 but only buy 3 get 1 free was applied. I want 30 for 4 pre-owned games!!!

Anybody knows why and how to fix this?

And also CAG16 is not working with buy 3 get 1 free.

I’ve been having that same issue too. How do you get the website to do the 4 $14.99 preowned games for $30 instead of B3G1 free?
The website always gives you the worst possible deal (unlike in store, where the system gives you the best possible). This has been going on for a while and is further evidence that the programmers responsible for the website are absolute sadists.

Picked up Yoshi’s crafted world new for the switch.  It was a “new” copy, I was able to look at it first though, looked good enough.  As I’m about to leave, cashier says wait and starts reaching behind the counter.  I say, it’s ok I don’t need a bag.  He says wait again, and pulls out one of those super sticky clear circular stickers that you sometimes get to seal “new” copies.  He may as well have been saying “wait, I gotta make it worse first.”  They leave way more crap on the case than regular price stickers, I know others have mentioned good ways to deal with it, but I’d still rather not.  I live in an area with tons of GameStops, which don’t do that, and online orders may or may not, making it utterly pointless if it’s not 100%.  He wouldn’t budge, even when trying to explain that my just taking the sticker right back off in front of him or when I get home, it’s essentially the same as my acknowledging that I have voluntarily declined the sticker and we could just say I opened it there.  Guy was nice enough, but couldn’t understand that concept.  Sticker did come off fine, since it was so new on the case and I think he at least put it on lightly.  Worked out fine, but the arbitrary rules that each individual store has, which are gospel according to corporate and absolutely can’t be violated, it’s fun finding new ones of those.  Especially amusing when the solution GameStop comes up with to solve their own mistake or issues is to just make it worse.

Not a big deal, but fundamentally this buying experience is: store fraudulently advertises and sells an open copy as new, customer can’t leave until cashier can deface the item.  Customer can’t decline the defacement because the cashier could get fired if they allowed that.  I would love to know how they come up with this stuff.

The website always gives you the worst possible deal (unlike in store, where the system gives you the best possible). This has been going on for a while and is further evidence that the programmers responsible for the website are absolute sadists.
So this means I can take a shot in the GS in store. Four 14.99 for 30 is a huge saving. By the way, yesterday order 4 pre-owned switch games and choose same day delivery and I got 4 cases. That is awesome.

I haven't ordered from Gamestop (or even gone in store) in ages. I just got a Yoshi for $23.51 and a new Star Wars Squadrons for $16.99. What is the likelihood I'll get a case for Yoshi and an unopened Squadrons? Hopefully I get a case with Yoshi - sure beats the $35 I just ordered it for at Best Buy.
odds are probably around 50% maybe getting a case with yoshi depending on where your order even comes from. My last order of switch titles everything but 3 came with the original cases and case art. You are really better off expecting the games to be cart only and or generic case partially broken because bubble mailers. Which is why people don't bother ordering from gs unless there's flip or such potential from cart only in a worst case scenario.
It was in-store which I figure has a slightly better chance of being complete than from an online order.

Just got back and my Yoshi is complete and looks brand new - just one sticker on the back of the case which peeled off with ease. Squadrons (which I bought new) was sealed.

Store pickup was super easy and hassle free.

I'm very happy with this purchase and now I can return the $34.99 Best Buy copy of Yoshi that's getting shipped.

So this means I can take a shot in the GS in store. Four 14.99 for 30 is a huge saving. By the way, yesterday order 4 pre-owned switch games and choose same day delivery and I got 4 cases. That is awesome.
I'd recommend trying it in-store, yes, if it isn't a huge inconvenience. It's always possible that it doesn't work int store, too, but, then, just about anything is possible when dealing with Gamestop.

Picked up Yoshi’s crafted world new for the switch. It was a “new” copy, I was able to look at it first though, looked good enough. As I’m about to leave, cashier says wait and starts reaching behind the counter. I say, it’s ok I don’t need a bag. He says wait again, and pulls out one of those super sticky clear circular stickers that you sometimes get to seal “new” copies. He may as well have been saying “wait, I gotta make it worse first.” They leave way more crap on the case than regular price stickers, I know others have mentioned good ways to deal with it, but I’d still rather not. I live in an area with tons of GameStops, which don’t do that, and online orders may or may not, making it utterly pointless if it’s not 100%. He wouldn’t budge, even when trying to explain that my just taking the sticker right back off in front of him or when I get home, it’s essentially the same as my acknowledging that I have voluntarily declined the sticker and we could just say I opened it there. Guy was nice enough, but couldn’t understand that concept. Sticker did come off fine, since it was so new on the case and I think he at least put it on lightly. Worked out fine, but the arbitrary rules that each individual store has, which are gospel according to corporate and absolutely can’t be violated, it’s fun finding new ones of those. Especially amusing when the solution GameStop comes up with to solve their own mistake or issues is to just make it worse.

Not a big deal, but fundamentally this buying experience is: store fraudulently advertises and sells an open copy as new, customer can’t leave until cashier can deface the item. Customer can’t decline the defacement because the cashier could get fired if they allowed that. I would love to know how they come up with this stuff.
This is the reason GS went with the new terrible layout (which shouldn't be an either or choice but whatever,) because while you didn't want the seal sticker and actually wanted to keep/play the game, there were people that would say what you said, then return the game saying they never opened it when they did but took advantage of the extended return policy this time of year to return for the full amount in January..

If your store had been on the ball, they would have ordered the baggies that have been available for a year or two for GS stores to seal gutted games in. If this GS store layout lasts beyond the Spring, getting gutted new games should be done by next year.

How long do GameStop online purchases typically remain in the "Preparing for Shipment" limbo?  I imagine it will be longer than average right now, but I'm just concerned about not getting 13 Sentinels.

This is the reason GS went with the new terrible layout (which shouldn't be an either or choice but whatever,) because while you didn't want the seal sticker and actually wanted to keep/play the game, there were people that would say what you said, then return the game saying they never opened it when they did but took advantage of the extended return policy this time of year to return for the full amount in January..

If your store had been on the ball, they would have ordered the baggies that have been available for a year or two for GS stores to seal gutted games in. If this GS store layout lasts beyond the Spring, getting gutted new games should be done by next year.
Yeah, I get they want to cover themselves somehow. Items are factory sealed for a reason, and this has already been discussed ad nauseam. Just found it funny realizing GameStop’s work around to allow them to sell open as new is further at the customer expense, and pretty much pointless, since only about 50% of the store or online orders bother with the sticker in my experience. Maybe they sent a memo and will be doing the sticker for open “new” copies more now. And going forward they shouldn’t have as many, since like you said they supposedly stopped the open as new policy, but guess it’s still in a transition period. If I’m telling the guy that I will be “opening” the game right in front of him anyway, immediately removing the sticker, he should have been fine with my request to decline it and count it as already opened. The only way the sticker would provide any benefit past that point is if it left sticky residue on the case, proving it had been stickered and opened. Which is a complete joke if that is the intent, essentially further defacing a borderline “new” item before the customer can walk out the door. I paid with a coupon too, which I wouldn’t be getting back, and wouldn’t get money if trying to return with a zero dollar receipt, so I was locked in the transaction at that point, with pretty much no chance of a return anyway.

I don't understand why GS opens copies of games that they already have display boxes of. Some stores have had dummy boxes of Switch games for a long time now yet they open the real cases anyway and put them next to the dummy boxes. Even the copies in the drawers are opened. I once returned a an actual sealed copy to them because I changed my mind and they were real suspicious about it and opened it in front of me. They treated me like I was hoodlum trying to scam them. Their opened copies also often seems suspiciously used to me with too much wear and tear to be just "display copies" so I only buy "new" from them if I have store credit or if GS is cheaper than anywhere else and it's something niche that would be overpriced elsewhere if it was truly factory sealed.
Gutting games is cheaper. Less man hours. In theory, I don't have an issue with it as long as the case isn't damage, the game disc is okay (less of an issue these days), and I don't get that damned sticker on it. They should knock $5~ off their display copies, IMO.

In reality, people who truly care are such a small margin, that they still sell through those copies anyways. The problem is, they're probably alienating that small margin who would also be big spenders (aka collectors and fans), thus it's short-sighting.

But GameStop being short-sighted isn't news, it's why they're tanking and failed to get bought out... twice now?

A lot of thee time when I buy a physical game these days it is for a gift for my kids or my nephews.  I'm not going to give an open game as a gift.

Having seen disc-only games being sold as "new" (i.e. - last, gutted copy, but they lost the cover art and instructions) at Gamestop many times, that pretty much ends the argument in my eyes.

Yea, GameStop doesn't want to handle trades during high volume sales events.  Taking in trades with a line at the counter is garbage.

I imagine there may be another promotion between Thanksgiving and Christmas to restock shelves for Christmas cash people get as gifts, and then probably a lull until late Jan, early Feb.

How long do GameStop online purchases typically remain in the "Preparing for Shipment" limbo? I imagine it will be longer than average right now, but I'm just concerned about not getting 13 Sentinels.
3 days to a week on average. Worst case scenario forever.

I'd recommend trying it in-store, yes, if it isn't a huge inconvenience. It's always possible that it doesn't work int store, too, but, then, just about anything is possible when dealing with Gamestop.
I went to the nearest GS today. The man is sooooo good, they have not many 14.99 pre-owned games in stock, but he let pick up what they have in the drawer. And the deal (4 for 30) is working! It is worth the shot!

Has anyone had luck with the online rewards certificates recently? I ran into trouble with 3 of them over the summer and assumed it would be fixed by now so tried again yesterday. Still didn’t work, when I called the rep that answered told me my account hadn’t been logged into since 2019 which is what caused the issue, which is strange considering I’ve had a dozens order or so and quite a bit of rewards activity including the certificate that I was calling about. They refunded my points and told me the solution was to make a new GameStop account. I’m not putting a ton of weight into what the customer service rep told me, but definitely odd that the certificates still don’t work.

Has anyone had luck with the online rewards certificates recently? I ran into trouble with 3 of them over the summer and assumed it would be fixed by now so tried again yesterday. Still didn’t work, when I called the rep that answered told me my account hadn’t been logged into since 2019 which is what caused the issue, which is strange considering I’ve had a dozens order or so and quite a bit of rewards activity including the certificate that I was calling about. They refunded my points and told me the solution was to make a new GameStop account. I’m not putting a ton of weight into what the customer service rep told me, but definitely odd that the certificates still don’t work.
I've called a few times. The last time, I was told the issue was escalated and they couldn't even refund me points. That was... um... September, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back