2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a gamestop delivery scheduled for today from fedex, but they apparently marked it as "customer not available" when I was home all day and re-attempt tomorrow. Tracking showed it was in a nearby town, which makes me think they are just marking these as "customer not available" when they have no plans to try to deliver it that day. Maybe this is how they don't get penalized for late deliveries or something.
They did this with my series x on release day...I was not happy...

Thanks, just checked the NIS store, and they have it on sale for $19.99, which is quite good. Thinking if I should go with the PS4 or Switch version at that price.
I know that. But shipping is $9 (if I remember right), and I didn't want anything else there, versus Gamestop, where at least I could pick up something else I wanted to get FS.

If you're okay with that shipping premium, go for it. May be worth it to avoid GS, I guess.

So I ordered a $10 GC to go with a $27 Switch game to get free shipping I received the game today in the mail but no GC. Will the GC be a physical card or will it be a code in a separate email?

So I ordered a $10 GC to go with a $27 Switch game to get free shipping I received the game today in the mail but no GC. Will the GC be a physical card or will it be a code in a separate email?
I did the same thing a while back and physical GC came in regular mail in envelope. Value of GC was printed on the GC envelope/holder with being reduced by an allocation of the “free shipping” cost (value shows like 8.33 instead of $10) but checked the value of the card and it still had $10 on there. GameStop can be dumb.

I did the same thing a while back and physical GC came in regular mail in envelope. Value of GC was printed on the GC envelope/holder with being reduced by an allocation of the “free shipping” cost (value shows like 8.33 instead of $10) but checked the value of the card and it still had $10 on there. GameStop can be dumb.
Same happened to me today, gc in the mail showing a lower value on the envelope, but the full $10 is on the card when I checked online. The gc arrived a couple of days after the games.

Hello, I have a brief question. I pre-ordered the Fire Emblem Anniversary Collection but I don't have the money until later. How long do they hold your pre order?

Hello, I have a brief question. I pre-ordered the Fire Emblem Anniversary Collection but I don't have the money until later. How long do they hold your pre order?
Seems like I have read or been told a week. But I think someone may have mentioned on here, since they get so little new inventory they have actually sold unclaimed preorders after a couple days. Could be YMMV and you might want to contact that store....

Technically the policy is 48 hours but sometimes you can get them to hold it longer. Only problem I see is that after 48 hours it will show as available in their inventory for buy online pick up in store or a ship from store order

Finally got my B2G1 order. Mario Tennis Aces is in perfect condition, Splatoon 2 has the case/cover art but the art looks like a dog was eating it. Not sure what happened there.

Yakuza Remastered had both discs loose in the extra Yakuza 5 case, which was broken. Not digging that so much. All part of the gamble I guess.

Technically yes, but make sure your preorder is fully paid off before (not on) 12/10 or else you won't get that $20 GameCoin.
And it's not 1 $20 GameCoin but 2 $10 ones, if you actually get both of them. I only got 1 for Watch Dogs (yes I fulfilled all the conditions.)

What's with the stores that try to make up weird return policies? The employee at the store argued that the 7 day return policy is to the minute and I was 7 days but 20 minutes late from the original return time. He said he would return the game "this time" but won't make exceptions in the future. I also just realized that they have a holiday return policy so he was extra full of shit.
Returns that aren't an even or spend more exchange are a negative hit to the store so the manager/keyholders will do anything they can sometimes to deny the return.

Technically the policy is 48 hours but sometimes you can get them to hold it longer. Only problem I see is that after 48 hours it will show as available in their inventory for buy online pick up in store or a ship from store order
This right here. Most stores would hold a CE for a day or two extra if you asked, but they can't deny a order coming from the website for anything that's not an inventory issue (system says they have something they don't.) And they can't just keep denying things b/c then they don't get the online orders and that puts the store in danger of having all the staff (at least keyholders) changed out or even closing.

Well, just found out even though their site makes it look like Nioh 2 is on sale web only for Cyber week, it's still $10 in store.    Glad GS still had it, since Amazon lost the copy I ordered from them during a pre-Thanksgiving sale.

Returns that aren't an even or spend more exchange are a negative hit to the store so the manager/keyholders will do anything they can sometimes to deny the return.
Do the geniuses at corporate understand why that is a horrible, short sighted strategy? In the short term maybe they'll reject a return or force someone to exchange something and earn some money. In the long term casual shoppers will remember how much of a bad experience and hard time they had returning something that was within their return policy and buy somewhere else next time. I wonder how many casual buyers they have alienated through this type of "service". We put up with it in this thread because many of us know how to take advantage of them and see it as a cost of doing business. I can just imagine how much this type of stuff pisses off the average person who just wants to shop normally.

Do the geniuses at corporate understand why that is a horrible, short sighted strategy? In the short term maybe they'll reject a return or force someone to exchange something and earn some money. In the long term casual shoppers will remember how much of a bad experience and hard time they had returning something that was within their return policy and buy somewhere else next time. I wonder how many casual buyers they have alienated through this type of "service". We put up with it in this thread because many of us know how to take advantage of them and see it as a cost of doing business. I can just imagine how much this type of stuff pisses off the average person who just wants to shop normally.
I have multiple GSs in my area and often to shop out if town a lot too. My go to store never once hassled me on returns from online or other stores and they get all my preorder and trade biz now. Did a lot of buy/returns for case swaps on the online orders pre reset when I could see stock...

Is it typical to receive a game with "Display Copy Only" printed on the back?  I don't think this is a legit cover art because the inside is blank (and the real coverart has a picture on the inside).  It's still much better than getting no cover art though.

When I worked in a retail store that sold specialty goods I constantly heard people say "Well I'm taking my business to xyz store", and then storm out. However, in my head my response was "well I'll see you next week". I mean really you only have a small number of B&M stores that sell games, and most those stores have what maybe 40 unique titles per platform? Otherwise you have to buy the game online. However, even then the game may not be easy to find, may not be a reasonable price, or any other number of reasons. Believe me, gamestop does stuff to poss me off, but in my case I keep going back because they may be the only retailer (b&m or online) that has the game and/or at a reasonable price. So I put up with the crappy CS. That's probably how most people are, and not even necessarily in regards to gamestop in particular but other stores too that suck.

Is it typical to receive a game with "Display Copy Only" printed on the back? I don't think this is a legit cover art because the inside is blank (and the real coverart has a picture on the inside). It's still much better than getting no cover art though.
You actually got one of the replacement cover arts the stores are supposed to use for the cases on the floor now or if its an older one that was given to the stores to put in the preorder/paid add sections when that game would have been in one of those sections.

Or if it's printed on normal printer paper then you got someone's copy they made a fake cover for and GS just left it in the case so they wouldn't have to print one of their fake covers for it.

When I worked in a retail store that sold specialty goods I constantly heard people say "Well I'm taking my business to xyz store", and then storm out. However, in my head my response was "well I'll see you next week". I mean really you only have a small number of B&M stores that sell games, and most those stores have what maybe 40 unique titles per platform? Otherwise you have to buy the game online. However, even then the game may not be easy to find, may not be a reasonable price, or any other number of reasons. Believe me, gamestop does stuff to poss me off, but in my case I keep going back because they may be the only retailer (b&m or online) that has the game and/or at a reasonable price. So I put up with the crappy CS. That's probably how most people are, and not even necessarily in regards to gamestop in particular but other stores too that suck.
The difference is that the retail market is different now from whenever you worked and man GS stores that I go to (even on weekends) are completely dead when they were busy a few years ago. Not to mention GS has been closing hundreds, if not thousands of stores over the past few years. This thread would have many a couple of replies a month if GS didn't have all of these loopholes and ways to take advantage of them. I doubt anyone on here honestly likes GS for being GS. They just like being able to take advantage of them during promotions and trade ins.

I have multiple GSs in my area and often to shop out if town a lot too. My go to store never once hassled me on returns from online or other stores and they get all my preorder and trade biz now. Did a lot of buy/returns for case swaps on the online orders pre reset when I could see stock...
Our personal anecdotes are irrelevant. You have to look at what people think overall and GS has a reputation for these types of things for a reason.

You actually got one of the replacement cover arts the stores are supposed to use for the cases on the floor now or if its older one that was given to the stores to put in the preorder/paid add sections when that game would have been in one of those sections.
Thanks for the info.

Anyone paying attention to their credit card statements? I've had three backordered games from the promotional flash sales GS has been buying (buy 5, save 50% off, etc) be charged the full original amount. 3 games for 19.99 which should have been 9.99. I also pulled my CC totals to compare to my order confirmations from Black Friday because I'm noticing that as games ship out, I've been seeing full 24.99 charges (for the 24.99 games from the b2g1 night, for instance) post this week. While it is possible that the 'free' games already shipped out and these 24.99 charges are kosher, I'm not getting the right amount and what I'm seeing is suggesting I'm being overcharged by a couple hundred dollars between the night of ordering for b2g1 and the b2g2. 

I get all that but I was wondering if that first day it was available counted towards the 7. I called customer service and they said they are 110% sure I can go in tomorrow, so hopefully that's the case.
It is the first day that the game has been confirmed for pickup in store that the deadline starts, so you are more than fine going in a day or two later to pick it up.

Any chance the $20 Cyberpunk game coin works for those of us that purchased the Cyberpunk Xbox One X that included the pre-order?

Anyone paying attention to their credit card statements? I've had three backordered games from the promotional flash sales GS has been buying (buy 5, save 50% off, etc) be charged the full original amount. 3 games for 19.99 which should have been 9.99. I also pulled my CC totals to compare to my order confirmations from Black Friday because I'm noticing that as games ship out, I've been seeing full 24.99 charges (for the 24.99 games from the b2g1 night, for instance) post this week. While it is possible that the 'free' games already shipped out and these 24.99 charges are kosher, I'm not getting the right amount and what I'm seeing is suggesting I'm being overcharged by a couple hundred dollars between the night of ordering for b2g1 and the b2g2.
Damn dude

I think they're doing this more and more. People making dozens (or even just a few) orders during a sale can't possibly have any idea how to weave together the random charges that can get split up and then reapplied by gamestop over days or weeks after the sale, so Gamestop could easily be taking advantage of this.

You should ask the fedex driver tomorrow and report back to us.
It turned out to be a contractor in a budget rent a truck so very likely he is keeping items and marking as nobody available even when item doesn't require anybody to be there. He tossed it about 10 feet to my front door, but luckily it was just a lightweight shovel knight TT. Was supposed to be NEW but came open with inserted game in envelope. At least it actually looks new and not all stickered up, but still not NEW. Might complain or even dispute with paypal because shouldn't have to go into a store to deal with that.

Anyone try trading in the $30 "Top Trade Value" games listed in the weekly ad ( :switch: NSMBUD, DK:TF, SMP, PM:OK, 3DMAS) toward Cyperpunk = 33 or 39? :cold:
Since we both had the same question. I went to check and no the guaranteed value isn't kicking in. It's stuck at whatever base value is on the website. Isn't it great how many ppl respond to chime in about the games you weren't asking about?

I tried to grab a weekly ad to point it out, but that page seemed to be only on the website.

Trust me FedEx is really annoying me rn. Never had any problems like this with usps, ups or amazon. They’ve attempted to deliver more than 3 times apparently and I’ve been home most of those times but says customer not available, like what? They just refuse to go up to apartments when you’re living like in 8th floor. Absolutely ridiculous I don’t even know if I’ll ever receive it

Trust me FedEx is really annoying me rn. Never had any problems like this with usps, ups or amazon. They’ve attempted to deliver more than 3 times apparently and I’ve been home most of those times but says customer not available, like what? They just refuse to go up to apartments when you’re living like in 8th floor. Absolutely ridiculous I don’t even know if I’ll ever receive it
If it's like mine, he's not even stopping by your place yet.

I worry about and could totally see this happening accidentally, I’ve checked and thought the same as you a few times, but really hard to confirm across multiple split orders. They couldn’t possibly be stupid enough to do this on purpose though, that would be the end of GameStop if it could be proven and actually traced back to a management decision with sworn testimonies.

I worry about and could totally see this happening accidentally, I’ve checked and thought the same as you a few times, but really hard to confirm across multiple split orders. They couldn’t possibly be stupid enough to do this on purpose though, that would be the end of GameStop if it could be proven and actually traced back to a management decision with sworn testimonies.
Hanlons razor. Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

Hanlons razor. Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity
Fitting :). That would just be too funny if malice were involved. Accident or on purpose, I think both adequately explained by stupidity, just a matter of whether or not greed was also present and if the stupidity could go far enough that it was intentional. I guess technically, if it were intentional, that would be malice too, just not as full blown as overcharging simply to cause harm.

The difference is that the retail market is different now from whenever you worked and man GS stores that I go to (even on weekends) are completely dead when they were busy a few years ago. Not to mention GS has been closing hundreds, if not thousands of stores over the past few years. This thread would have many a couple of replies a month if GS didn't have all of these loopholes and ways to take advantage of them. I doubt anyone on here honestly likes GS for being GS. They just like being able to take advantage of them during promotions and trade ins.

Our personal anecdotes are irrelevant. You have to look at what people think overall and GS has a reputation for these types of things for a reason.
Not saying GS doesn't suck, just agreeing with the point that I choose what location I use and the one that doesn't hassle me on goofy BS is my go to. I've had some locations be less welcoming and I avoid those. The service does make a difference when you get it. They do burn themselves on the short-term hassling folks.

Not saying GS doesn't suck, just agreeing with the point that I choose what location I use and the one that doesn't hassle me on goofy BS is my go to. I've had some locations be less welcoming and I avoid those. The service does make a difference when you get it. They do burn themselves on the short-term hassling folks.
You're right. When I run into issues like the one I described then I know to avoid that store. There are also GS stores with great customer service. The point I was making, however, is that corporate seems to purposely pressure employees to carry out policies that manage to piss off customers. Thankfully I haven't seen any stores lately where they follow you around the store with a tablet and don't leave you alone...

Also, if GS employees leave notes about you in the system does that carry over nationwide? I wonder what my employee notes say about me. I have gone off on them a few times about them being too aggressive in preordering games and I noticed that they seem not to hassle me about that anymore.... Wondering if I have a note in my account warning them not to bug me too much about preorders and upselling lol.

I did do some more digging- I was being really careful trying to do precise calculations, but I discovered two orders which did not generate an order confirmation email. Adding those to my invoiced totals, there is now a slight increase on what is invoiced versus what has actually been charged (even including pending charges) So I'm going to keep an eye on it and see how it shakes out

But the last three items I had fulfilled from the promotional 50% off 19.99/29.99 flash sales they kept spamming this year? 100% was charged full original price, and I am confident on that because the same weeks those charges appeared, it was literally the only thing shipping from Gamestop.com. So I'd keep an eye on stuff in the status 'awaiting product availability' because those back ordered items were in that status, and then got charged full price. So far, aside from Yoshi Crafted World which did go into awaiting product availability, everything not shipped for me from Black Friday is in 'Preparing for Shipment' so I'm hoping that sort of locks the original charge in place.

Just got my $27 mario tennis and super mario u deluxe and $17 squadrons ps4 that never said shipped yet, came actually NEW and sealed. It seems the slower ups surepost shipments from corporate have better luck at being new.  Fedex from stores is the gamble.

Anyone else having problems with gamestop.com? My cart won’t load. I tried the app and the website and no luck on either.

If it's like mine, he's not even stopping by your place yet.
I had one package recently where it wasn't delivered because "I wasn't home" and 30 minutes later it arrived at a Fedex location (20 minute drive away) ready for my pickup. This was at 3:30 in the afternoon. It reeked of laziness.

It turned out to be a contractor in a budget rent a truck so very likely he is keeping items and marking as nobody available even when item doesn't require anybody to be there. He tossed it about 10 feet to my front door, but luckily it was just a lightweight shovel knight TT. Was supposed to be NEW but came open with inserted game in envelope. At least it actually looks new and not all stickered up, but still not NEW. Might complain or even dispute with paypal because shouldn't have to go into a store to deal with that.

My complaint about how Fedex operates was met with the response that different distribution centers have different logistics. I didn't know what that meant until this comment about contractors being used during the holidays. Now it makes some sense.

All 16 of my games arrived. 14 of 16 were complete, although Last of Us 2 was in a regular PS4 case instead of the case with slots for 2 discs, and the Persona 5 Royal Steelbook edition came in a regular case. The steelbook isn't an issue, it makes up for the Death Stranding preowned copy that came with the steelbook.

The two that came incomplete were both Luigi's Mansion 3, and they were in black generic cases. One of those carts had some tiny corrosion dots on the gold contact pins, but it was playable.

Tried to trade in NSBD but was only trading in for $22 base and $28.50 towards cyberpunk. DK rang up at $39 trade in. Gonna try again tomorrow at a different GS. 

The point I was making, however, is that corporate seems to purposely pressure employees to carry out policies that manage to piss off customers. Thankfully I haven't seen any stores lately where they follow you around the store with a tablet and don't leave you alone...
I completely agree. In store, I actually think most employees do a great job. Outside of a few exceptions, any bad experience is from them trying to just do their job as corporate has told them to. And the obviously outsourced phone support, that’s still terrible

I did do some more digging- I was being really careful trying to do precise calculations, but I discovered two orders which did not generate an order confirmation email. Adding those to my invoiced totals, there is now a slight increase on what is invoiced versus what has actually been charged (even including pending charges) So I'm going to keep an eye on it and see how it shakes out

But the last three items I had fulfilled from the promotional 50% off 19.99/29.99 flash sales they kept spamming this year? 100% was charged full original price, and I am confident on that because the same weeks those charges appeared, it was literally the only thing shipping from Gamestop.com. So I'd keep an eye on stuff in the status 'awaiting product availability' because those back ordered items were in that status, and then got charged full price. So far, aside from Yoshi Crafted World which did go into awaiting product availability, everything not shipped for me from Black Friday is in 'Preparing for Shipment' so I'm hoping that sort of locks the original charge in place.
Thank you. I better try and figure mine out too. I was already suspecting this on a few cases, and could have tons...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back