2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't had a large GS purchase in awhile but super surprised to see random switch games that were commonly available at GS a year ago have skyrocketed in price. Xenoblade 2 Torna is now $100 loose?! That thing was $20 - $25 and occasionally had 50% off promos. Travis strikes again was $13, the world ends with you was $20, before promos. Those are now $60ish games. Hopefully some of you were able to pick those ups. Makes me wonder what other random games I have lying around that are worth something now. 

A few of the titles I've been watching and waiting to trade:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe went from 22 to 30

but SMBU Deluxe and Mario Odyssey only went from 20 to 22. Is 22 the new ceiling on these two lately or might it be temporarily lower since they were recently on sale?

Thanks!

Haven't had a large GS purchase in awhile but super surprised to see random switch games that were commonly available at GS a year ago have skyrocketed in price. Xenoblade 2 Torna is now $100 loose?! That thing was $20 - $25 and occasionally had 50% off promos. Travis strikes again was $13, the world ends with you was $20, before promos. Those are now $60ish games. Hopefully some of you were able to pick those ups. Makes me wonder what other random games I have lying around that are worth something now.
This is exactly why I will no longer be taking part in trade ins/flips/selling old games, etc. If it's physical now then you run the risk of not being able to buy it back in the future because it's too expensive or rare. I remember trading in the DS Pokemon games like Soulsilver, Heartgold, etc. because they were so common and easy to find cheap, even in brand new condition with the Pokewalkers. Stores were even clearancing them out because they had too many. I now want one for my collection but can't because even a cart only copy in bad condition is extremely expensive. The $50 or so profit I made back then is a joke compared to what they go for now. Now it seems like many niche games like that will literally get one print run and that's it, maybe a quiet reprint at most that sells out quickly. Even PS3 games were worthless a year ago and some of the games that GS had for 4/10 and 4/20 are now increasing in price.

A few of the titles I've been watching and waiting to trade:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe went from 22 to 30

but SMBU Deluxe and Mario Odyssey only went from 20 to 22. Is 22 the new ceiling on these two lately or might it be temporarily lower since they were recently on sale?

Thanks!
Likely because they were on sale.

This is exactly why I will no longer be taking part in trade ins/flips/selling old games, etc. If it's physical now then you run the risk of not being able to buy it back in the future because it's too expensive or rare. I remember trading in the DS Pokemon games like Soulsilver, Heartgold, etc. because they were so common and easy to find cheap, even in brand new condition with the Pokewalkers. Stores were even clearancing them out because they had too many. I now want one for my collection but can't because even a cart only copy in bad condition is extremely expensive. The $50 or so profit I made back then is a joke compared to what they go for now. Now it seems like many niche games like that will literally get one print run and that's it, maybe a quiet reprint at most that sells out quickly. Even PS3 games were worthless a year ago and some of the games that GS had for 4/10 and 4/20 are now increasing in price.
Yeah, good point. I'm weary of switch games because they could still be reprinted. I can already think of a handful of switch games that I own that were reprinted and the value dropped. Ones that come to mind - Atelier Ryza 1, Shantae 1/2 hero/genie, disaster report 4, and some others. But 3DS, DS, etc. obviously you don't run that risk. I am surprised that the pokemon games inflated so much when 1. There are tons of copies in the world. 2. Reproductions are cheap 3. Emulators can easily emulate those types of games. But there is definitely something to have physical games. I always keep the nicest copies in my collection, and nowadays when games come with physical manuals I find that extremely cool since it is sadly so uncommon now.

And as far as reprints go, something like Xenoblade games/lesser 1st party titles scream "Nintendo Selects" release to me. Obviously there's no need to drop the price on Mario kart, zelda, etc. because those still sell for $60 years later, but I could definitely see Arms, Splatoon 2 (especially with Splatoon 3 coming), xenoblade 2, mario tennis, and a ton of others being reprinted at a lesser price.

And as far as reprints go, something like Xenoblade games/lesser 1st party titles scream "Nintendo Selects" release to me. Obviously there's no need to drop the price on Mario kart, zelda, etc. because those still sell for $60 years later, but I could definitely see Arms, Splatoon 2 (especially with Splatoon 3 coming), xenoblade 2, mario tennis, and a ton of others being reprinted at a lesser price.
Why do you think Xenoblade would be Nintendo Select? It would have to sell millions. JRPGs other than Final Fantasy just don't do that. Xenoblade has been on Wii and 3DS, and never hit the line. No Fire Emblem game has, as far as I know. It's exactly the games that you say won't be Nintendo Select that are like Mario and Zelda. It's a marketing label to promote games that have sold well.

Why do you think Xenoblade would be Nintendo Select? It would have to sell millions. JRPGs other than Final Fantasy just don't do that. Xenoblade has been on Wii and 3DS, and never hit the line. No Fire Emblem game has, as far as I know. It's exactly the games that you say won't be Nintendo Select that are like Mario and Zelda. It's a marketing label to promote games that have sold well.
Not only has Xenoblade 2 sold millions, but to the best of my knowlege, the statement "the best selling games become Nintendo selects" seems to be inexact science as over time, the threshold of whether you need millions or far under a million sold has moved around. But Xenoblade 2 has sold over 2 million I'm pretty sure, possibly more than that.

More or less just because the Switch is killing it and there's no reason for them to sell Zelda BOTW, Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey, etc. at a discount when they sell for hot cakes at MSRP even three years later. I think you're right that historically there's been better 1st party games on past consoles, but these were titles that were slow selling consoles/games at the time. Wii U obviously underwhelmed, Wii crushed it at launch, but the gimmick got old and by the time Nintendo Selects were out, Wii was trailing the 360/PS3. If we're talking about a year or two when BOTW 2, Mario Kart 9, etc. I can definitely see BOTW 1, MK8 then becoming Nintendo Selects, but for now it makes more sense to have Nintendo Selects for out of print/slower selling games. Not to mention if Nintendo notices that there is demand for Xenoblade at $100, why wouldn't they reprint it?

Yeah, good point. I'm weary of switch games because they could still be reprinted. I can already think of a handful of switch games that I own that were reprinted and the value dropped. Ones that come to mind - Atelier Ryza 1, Shantae 1/2 hero/genie, disaster report 4, and some others. But 3DS, DS, etc. obviously you don't run that risk. I am surprised that the pokemon games inflated so much when 1. There are tons of copies in the world. 2. Reproductions are cheap 3. Emulators can easily emulate those types of games. But there is definitely something to have physical games. I always keep the nicest copies in my collection, and nowadays when games come with physical manuals I find that extremely cool since it is sadly so uncommon now.

Given that they have never gotten a Nintendo selects release for ANY of the xeno games and we are on 6 releases what could possibly make you think they suddenly would start now?

do yall think gamestop will ever fix inventory issues? I saw a game that is avaliable for me 90 miles. I can do pick up but cannot do online order

I believe xenoblade 1 sold a million world wide between the na Eu and jpn numbers on the Wii. Nintendo rarely does selects of the RPGs though. Only ones I can think of are tales of Symphonia and paper Mario ttyd. Sure it makes sense for Pokemon since they hold in price and typically keep getting printed Even years later. But fire emblem and xeno are good sellers that for whatever reason they don't reprint.

It’s pretty freaking crazy. On the one hand, it’s good that past works of art, which used to elicit ridicule from some, are appreciated and valued in hindsight, I like that aspect of it. The perceived value of what I bought and liked in the past going up, I guess is kind of validating in a way. I made a good decision in those purchases and viewing them as worth keeping, and keeping nice. What I could at least, without others messing them up, stealing or selling some. But I wouldn’t sell at anything less than retirement money, and even then not sure about that, so it mostly is a negative for me. I didn’t buy retro, which makes my copies more personal, it’s always just been what I’ve had since childhood, but it’s sad that at this point, since I won’t pay stupid prices, I probably never can add to them. I think that’s ok, my outlook is that I still have what I played back then, if I find another past game I like, digital is fine. But it will be much much more difficult / impossible to replace some stolen items that I was slowly working on, that’s the biggest negative for me.

The price increases now mostly just seems to be a frenzied speculator market that is making the prices go wild. I think bigger interests took notice of these being a potentially valuable investment (sealed Mario’s selling for $500,000+ are going to investment firms, not gamers), especially after they apply aliitle hype / marketing, causing prices to go up, causing legitimate collectors to buy more, more notice and news and FOMO feedback loop. A dissatisfaction overall with modern media could be partially to blame? I think limited run games has contributed as well. I’ve had a negative impression about their approach from the start, now I think I’m starting to understand why a bit more. Not that I know much about them, but seems to me they sold rarity as their primary product, proved it as a workable proof of concept for video games, and now we all get to benefit from that as corporations take notice and consider how they can best exploit it. I don’t think it’s a complete coincidence that we have crypto and nft grifters making millions by exploiting the same kind of speculative fomo. I can’t help but see this kind of stuff as connected, and harmful BS overall, but it’s making some people rich, and that’s all that matters.

Given that they have never gotten a Nintendo selects release for ANY of the xeno games and we are on 6 releases what could possibly make you think they suddenly would start now?
You're acting like Nintendo doesn't notice that there is demand for Xeno games. Xeno 1 was reprinted on the wii when it was a gamestop exclusive and extremely rare. AND re-released as a port on the 3DS, AND re-released on the switch. Xenoblade 2 is actually the best selling game of the series and is out of print and there is obvious demand as it and it's spinoff are each ~$100 on the secondary market now. Not to mention I just think JRPGs are growing in popularity. Fire emblem on Wii/Gamecube were about .5M each, Fire emblem Three houses on the switch has 3M in sales. Maybe it won't be a "Nintendo Selects" but a reprint (Maybe a dual pack with Torna) seems like a smart idea.

I ran across sealed copies of both Xenoblade 2 and Torna a few weeks before the covid stuff. I haven't touched them yet so I've thought about selling them. But I feel like I should just keep them now incase a reprint doesn't happen. The game market is insane now. I wish I could get ahold of a 3DS without it costing an arm and a leg.

Yep, I traded in Torna back to GS a few times for between $12.70 and $27.00. I remember buying multiple copies of Torna to fish for XC2 mistakes  :razz: (Only happened once...)

Look at literally every retro game price chart over time and lockdowns / COVID pretty much spiked the value of pretty much everything. I know people like to joke about the stimulus checks, but I certainly decided to spend a few hundred on ebay getting some older things that were too old to find on amazon or gamestop that I felt I needed!  O:)

What is the consensus opinion on what to do with games that are base $3 TIV currently like Fallout 76, Dishonored 2, Prey, Rage 2, and Concrete Genie? Do I trade them now or wait for a $x plus per game promo? Is the minimum for those promos still $2? I'm just worried if I sit on these $3 games even if there's a $5 extra promo they will drop these games to make not eligible.

What is the consensus opinion on what to do with games that are base $3 TIV currently like Fallout 76, Dishonored 2, Prey, Rage 2, and Concrete Genie? Do I trade them now or wait for a $x plus per game promo? Is the minimum for those promos still $2? I'm just worried if I sit on these $3 games even if there's a $5 extra promo they will drop these games to make not eligible.
Maybe consider Ebay as a lot of my $3 tradein games turn out to be worth up to $15 each on Ebay.

I made a spreadsheet of all the games I have, and I have about 350 games. Most of them I got cheap last year during the 50% off sales at GS and during the holidays... however, there have been hardly any sales recently and used prices on last-gen games has been climbing upward slowly. So despite being able to get more for them than I paid (probably a good 30% to 70%) I'm hesitant as I imagine these games are going to get more difficult to find as time goes on. Especially complete in box. I am even hesitant to trade in duplicates, as like you said what I can get now may be chump change compared to what it will be in a couple years.

I also kind of hate trading in games to GS as I tend to do larger trades and that usually comes with side glances since most people don't do trades in excess of a couple hundred dollars.

I don't see a TIV for Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory, does that mean they don't accept it or are there some games that don't have a TIV listed online?

Probably about a 33% chance of getting a case.
That gives me a little bit of hope. I’ve ordered 5 3DS games in the last few months and they have all came in tiny clear plastic cases, so I was afraid that it was just policy to throw them out. There are a TON of “just case / manual” ebay listings, so I assumed GameStop employees are just taking them and making money, which I wouldn’t even blame them.

Are 3DS games pretty much guaranteed to not have cases (online and in store)?
Yup, PS3 / 360 / Wii U is pretty much the end of the line if your looking for complete copies from GameStop. Even then best to just stick to current and last gen if you want more than a 50% chance. Handhelds, many stores throw away or employees keep the cases. That’s not the case for all stores, but enough to make the hassle probably not worth the price savings. I would say the chances of 3DS complete are about 1/4 when I’ve tried.

weird, some stuff either kept the bump or is just a higher TIV now. fallout 76 is still $7, the kingdoms of amalur and need for speed remasters are still $15.

On the topic of Gamestop being Gamestop.. I saw 2 copies of XC2:Torna in-stock on the website a few weeks ago and bought them (free shipping!) with mild hopes of them coming complete.... guess what I got instead? TWO copies of Dragonball Xenoverse 2:bomb:

But on the topic of complete last-gen games - If you talk to most stores now, they literally throw all 3DS/DS/VITA cases away. Some with knowledgeable employees might put some complete cases into the glass case if they have room or know it's value - but most of the time they'd just buy it themselves. (ie - pokemon trade-ins)

On the plus side - You can literally walk in and ask for any DS/3DS cases they are going to throw out. (they keep them under the register typically) I usually ask my stores if they've had anything interesting traded in or on trade-hold recently. 

We can start keeping a tab on current MWT?

So far:

GTA V PS4: $13.20
Sekiro (Cross): $14.30
Resident Evil 2 PS4: $16.50
Resident Evil 7 Gold Edition PS4: $13.20
Resident Evil 3 PS4: $14.30
Resident Evil 3 Xbox: $13.20
Resident Evil 7 Standard PS4: $11.00
Resident Evil 4 PS4: $13.20
Resident Evil 5 Xbox $13.20
Resident Evil Revelations:$13.20
Super Smash Bros Ultimate $29.70
Immortals Fenyx Rising Xbox:$24.20
Immortals Fenyx Rising Switch:$18.70
Immortals Fenyx Rising PS4:$16.50
Immortals Fenyx Rising PS5:$16.50

I'll get more down

Fifa 21(PS4&Xbox)-$16.50
Fifa 21 PS5: $22.00
Dirt 4 PS4: $8.80
Team Sonic Racing Xbox:$16.50
Team Sonic Racing PS4:$13.20
Mario & Sonic Olympic Tokyo:$22.00
Sonic Mania Plus Switch:$11.00
Sonic Unleashed Wii:$13.20
Mario and Sonic London Games Wii:$18.70
Mario and Sonic Winter Games Wii: $13.20
Sonic Forces Switch: $13.20
Sonic Forces PS4:$11.00
Super Mario Party:$33.00
New Super Mario Bros Wii:$16.50
Mario Kart Wii: $22.00
Super Mario 3D World Plus Bowser's Fury Switch:$33.00
Mario & Sonic Olympic Games Wii: $8.80
Mortal Kombat 11 Switch: $11.00

But on the topic of complete last-gen games - If you talk to most stores now, they literally throw all 3DS/DS/VITA cases away. Some with knowledgeable employees might put some complete cases into the glass case if they have room or know it's value - but most of the time they'd just buy it themselves. (ie - pokemon trade-ins)
They've been doing that in my GS for years... I thought that was their official policy or something. I think it started around the time the 3DS game out, they started tossing DS game cases/manuals.

They've been doing that in my GS for years... I thought that was their official policy or something. I think it started around the time the 3DS game out, they started tossing DS game cases/manuals.
It varies by district/region. For my closest stores, they told stores to discard everything. Then months later reversed the decision. So now on display are 99% generic cases.

Almost a modern day case of book burning and banned media. Kidding, as far as the political and social issues involved, but still, interesting parallels and may end up having a similar effect on prices. Regardless of the reasons behind it, a centralized power deeming something unworthy they should be at least somewhat responsible for preserving. Maybe not preserving, but even if it’s “just video games”, how can you run a company that makes its money selling an item while needlessly destroying large portions of that item and it’s history at the same time. It shows a disregard for the item you are also trying to promote and hype the merits of to drive sales. At the least it’s an image problem with their most engaged customers, and has proven to be a bad business decision as well; pointless harm to their product, image and bottom line all around.

Almost a modern day case of book burning and banned media. Kidding, as far as the political and social issues involved, but still, interesting parallels and may end up having a similar effect on prices. Regardless of the reasons behind it, a centralized power deeming something unworthy they should be at least somewhat responsible for preserving. Maybe not preserving, but even if it’s “just video games”, how can you run a company that makes its money selling an item while destroying large portions of that item and it’s history at the same time. At the least it’s an image problem, and has proven to be a bad business decision as well.
It goes to show you how little management cares. I'm honestly horrified at the idea of someone trading in a Chrono Trigger or Panzer Dragoon Saga Complete and all the boxes/inserts are tossed out.

It goes to show you how little management cares. I'm honestly horrified at the idea of someone trading in a Chrono Trigger or Panzer Dragoon Saga Complete and all the boxes/inserts are tossed out.
I ordered 20 plus Sega Saturn games over the time they were available and never received a case. I am fairly certain they were trashing them to save on shipping costs.

I wish I knew retro was going to end at GS. One store about 30 minutes away seemed to get a fair amount of trades and kept it in store. Passed on too many things in the hope of using a promo or the occasional complete saturn game with a broken case thinking I would get another chance.

Heaven forbid that the guy working for $10 an hour, probably born after those games were released, doesn't follow the market value for thousands of games and know it off the top of their head. Gamestop is a business not a museum. Hoarding inventory has costs associated with it and you saw why hedge funds expected the company to go bankrupt.

Heaven forbid that the guy working for $10 an hour, probably born after those games were released, doesn't follow the market value for thousands of games and know it off the top of their head. Gamestop is a business not a museum. Hoarding inventory has costs associated with it and you saw why hedge funds expected the company to go bankrupt.
it doesn't take a genius or savant to realize a video game is more valuable and sought after in complete edition. the extra "cost" of keeping these cases/manuals could easily be offset by having better organized stores. the layout of every gamestop i have ever been in is pathetic. they could easily expand their counter space to add extra drawers and use the front of that area to replace the walls of gaming cards. if gamestop is indeed a business then their main concern should be attracting shoppers and you get customers by supplying a product in demand, and doing so better or cheaper than someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back