2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is amazing that GameStop is still around since they are so bad at their core business of selling games. Testing used games? Too much hassle. Keeping manuals and cases? Too much trouble. Letting you browse store inventory online (select store > see list of stuff at store)? Too advanced. Updating website to match advertised sales? Can’t be bothered.

Heaven forbid that the guy working for $10 an hour, probably born after those games were released, doesn't follow the market value for thousands of games and know it off the top of their head. Gamestop is a business not a museum. Hoarding inventory has costs associated with it and you saw why hedge funds expected the company to go bankrupt.
The fuck is this?

If you are taking in trade ins of retro videogames and want to maximize your profit, management damn well should make sure it's in the best condition possible.

it doesn't take a genius or savant to realize a video game is more valuable and sought after in complete edition. the extra "cost" of keeping these cases/manuals could easily be offset by having better organized stores. the layout of every gamestop i have ever been in is pathetic. they could easily expand their counter space to add extra drawers and use the front of that area to replace the walls of gaming cards. if gamestop is indeed a business then their main concern should be attracting shoppers and you get customers by supplying a product in demand, and doing so better or cheaper than someone else.
Seems like an upper management disconnect more than anything. There was likely a time when a high percentage of their customer base only cared about the game and just traded it back after playing. Those people have likely since moved to digital for convenience leaving gamestop lost as to who their customer actually may be...

Thinking of trading in my wii disc of Skyward Sword.  Won't play it again.  Current ebay sale value is less than what I'd get in tiv.  Would keep case, soundtrack, gold joycon of course.

Anyone think I'd be better of holding onto it?

Cases are definitely more miss than hit but I did get a case with radiant historia 3ds when there was that big March restock so you can get lucky getting complete games

Heaven forbid that the guy working for $10 an hour, probably born after those games were released, doesn't follow the market value for thousands of games and know it off the top of their head. Gamestop is a business not a museum. Hoarding inventory has costs associated with it and you saw why hedge funds expected the company to go bankrupt. 
He clearly said it was a management problem that makes these decisions and the people in charge at the district level make good salaries. Not to mention just because someone gets a low salary doesn't give an excuse to give bad service or not know about their job at all. Not to mention many GS stores that started trashing cases in my experience are actually bigger stores with tons of empty storespace now that they threw out the cases. One store in particular near me looks sad because they not only trashed all of the Vita cases, DS, 3DS, etc. but they're also begun trashing 360 and PS3 cases for games under $10 and now even moved on to trashing cheaper PS4 and Xbox One cases. It's sad, like they're literally destroying history. Millions of cases have gone through GS through the years and are now ruined forever on purpose.

Seems like an upper management disconnect more than anything. There was likely a time when a high percentage of their customer base only cared about the game and just traded it back after playing. Those people have likely since moved to digital for convenience leaving gamestop lost as to who their customer actually may be...
this is exactly right, the guys coming in and buying madden on release date and moms buying their kids call of duty on release day are all digital now. gamestop is just the latest in a series of retail dinosaurs that we look back on and wonder why they never adjusted their business practices.

It’s not $10 associates just randomly deciding to destroy and devalue inventory en masse. I would trust their judgement of the value of the item more than GameStop management anyway. Striving to resell a product in the same condition as received from the customer is not an unreasonable expectation, its not hoarding inventory or attempting to create a museum, though that would be good marketing. Cases and manuals barely add space, or none compared to their own standard generic cases, A complete nice looking product will sell faster than a plain beat up cart in a stinky generic case, result in better customer retention, goodwill and future sales; but a suit selling product they have no knowledge of or experience with wouldn’t understand that. The whole point of case art in the first place is to catch the eye, advertise and move product off the shelf. Companies pay millions trying to create a positive image with their primary base and trying to generate repeat business. Unless the cost savings from disposing of cases and manuals saved them from bankruptcy (I’m sure it had almost no impact, it’s nothing) it was a bad decision that lessened the short and long term value of their inventory, their customer relations and retention.

Such a random thing to drop some game's TIV, and keep the TIV's the same on some stuff.

For instance Resident Evil 5 on PS4 value went down, but the rest of the Resident Evil games on PS4 that got bumped (i.e. RE2, RE4, RE6, RE7, RE Revelations, etc.) stayed the same value. The game I regret not trading in was Nier Automata, as it went from $17 to $12 base.

So not even sure what you would call this bump? A partial dump?

In any case, I guess if you're on the fence just trade the games in the first day you see the bump go live since apparently GS is being GS and only doing a full on bump for one day now.

attachicon.gif
G2L.jpg

attachicon.gif
bonus30.jpg
Where is the list for G2L at? I don't see any trade offers in the app or desktop site.

Also what are the G2L games coming up? Trying to take advantage of the 30% bonus, and pre-order a game that is G2L so I can trade it back in next week. Looks like 30% bonus only applies to Mass Effect Legacy, Miitopia, and Biomutant, so are any of those G2L?

I ordered 20 plus Sega Saturn games over the time they were available and never received a case. I am fairly certain they were trashing them to save on shipping costs.

I wish I knew retro was going to end at GS. One store about 30 minutes away seemed to get a fair amount of trades and kept it in store. Passed on too many things in the hope of using a promo or the occasional complete saturn game with a broken case thinking I would get another chance.
I've ordered tons of Saturn, DC, PS, Xbox, and GameCube games over the years. I've received cases for all of consoles except for Saturn (was maybe about 50/50 years ago). Never a case for Saturn games. I have a hard time believing all of those games were traded in as just discs. Also, hardly any Xbox and GameCube games had the manuals. They put the discs where the manuals would go. Where were all the manuals?

One of the strange things I've noticed about GS used games is that in the last year I have ordered several Xbox 360 Kinect games and every single one has come with the purple kinect case and in nice condition. Kind of funny since these games have all been for my 6 year old to play and were all $5 or less.

One of the strange things I've noticed about GS used games is that in the last year I have ordered several Xbox 360 Kinect games and every single one has come with the purple kinect case and in nice condition. Kind of funny since these games have all been for my 6 year old to play and were all $5 or less.
I wouldn't be surprised if they over-ordered them and converted them to used.

Let's not forget that GS also has destroyed countless discs with their so-called "refurbishing" process. It's bad enough that they trash the cases but then they destroy the discs by resurfacing them very poorly with sandpaper and way too much resurfacing fluid to the point where they literally can't be repaired again and need to be trashed. GS is the only store that sells used discs and makes their resurfaced games look worse than they did before. Even the center of the discs are covered in resurfacing fluid because they use way too much watery fluid. I would think they would actually make more money if they kept the cases and properly cleaned and resurfaced the discs but what do I know?

I remember when they were clearing out GC games online. I bought around 50 discs or so and thought I got a good deal. Guess what? Ever single disc was in a yellow paper sleeve (meaning the cases were trashed, either in the store or to save on shipping) and every single disc was resurfaced. Not a single game would load past the menu screen. The console wouldn't even recognize most of them. It makes me wonder how many perfectly fine games would still be in circulation if they weren't destroyed. It also makes me wonder if GS artificially increased the value of many games because it's harder to find working or complete copies in the wild once they process through them.

I remember when they were clearing out GC games online. I bought around 50 discs or so and thought I got a good deal. Guess what? Ever single disc was in a yellow paper sleeve (meaning the cases were trashed, either in the store or to save on shipping) and every single disc was resurfaced. Not a single game would load past the menu screen. The console wouldn't even recognize most of them. It makes me wonder how many perfectly fine games would still be in circulation if they weren't destroyed. It also makes me wonder if GS artificially increased the value of many games because it's harder to find working or complete copies in the wild once they process through them.
Try them on a wii. Many gc games even messed up to where they wont read on the gc will work on a bc wii in my experience. Same for the wii games on the wiiu. My guess is that the lasers are just better on those systems for whatever reason for the older games.

I've run into the problem with some gc and wii games but managed to get them to work on a whim testing them on the other systems.

Where is the list for G2L at? I don't see any trade offers in the app or desktop site.

Also what are the G2L games coming up? Trying to take advantage of the 30% bonus, and pre-order a game that is G2L so I can trade it back in next week. Looks like 30% bonus only applies to Mass Effect Legacy, Miitopia, and Biomutant, so are any of those G2L?
I found these items on the trade page; of course they're not there now.

I don't know any details about upcoming ones.

Looks like the inventory checker is working now. Better write down what stores have what before they set it to -1 again.

When they cleared out the GC games, I remember ordering 50-something GC games and had to return like 45 of them.

Looks like the inventory checker is working now. Better write down what stores have what before they set it to -1 again.
Thank you for the heads up. I was able to find an authentic SoulSilver cartridge near me. I bought a $40 new game too which took an additional 30% off the already very good pre-owned SoulSilver price.

Was chatting with customer service about the returnal game coin, they said there’s a email code and you redeem it? Prob didn’t know what I was talking about.

A little off topic but this thread gets a lot of traffic so I'll ask anyway.  I will relate it back to Gamestop as most of their used games would be considered "acceptable."

So I have never bought from Amazon Warehouse before.  I see a Ps3 game I'd like to get but it shows as "acceptable." condition.  The description says this means it could show wear.  Since it's a PS3 game/Blu Ray, if it has a bunch of scratches it likely isnt going to work.

1- Are these "Acceptable" games usually in bad shape?

2- Any chance it comes with case/manual?

Thanks

A little off topic but this thread gets a lot of traffic so I'll ask anyway. I will relate it back to Gamestop as most of their used games would be considered "acceptable."

So I have never bought from Amazon Warehouse before. I see a Ps3 game I'd like to get but it shows as "acceptable." condition. The description says this means it could show wear. Since it's a PS3 game/Blu Ray, if it has a bunch of scratches it likely isnt going to work.

1- Are these "Acceptable" games usually in bad shape?

2- Any chance it comes with case/manual?

Thanks
There's a thread for this. Answer is that it's highly ymmv by item but usually disc/cart only for acceptable.

There's a thread for this. Answer is that it's highly ymmv by item but usually disc/cart only for acceptable.
Thanks. Well I guess it doesn't matter. It shows 1 in stock but when I try to check out it says Sorry, this item is no longer available from the seller you selected. When applicable, we'll move it to the Saved for Later section of your Cart. From there, you can click the item to return to its product details page and try another seller..

I just went in store to trade in a few games and renew my Pro membership. I received the $5 welcome coupon on the receipt, is the $5 monthly coupon supposed to be on there as well or will it show up later online? I don't see it in my app yet. Also, can both of those be used on the same purchase?

I just went in store to trade in a few games and renew my Pro membership. I received the $5 welcome coupon on the receipt, is the $5 monthly coupon supposed to be on there as well or will it show up later online? I don't see it in my app yet. Also, can both of those be used on the same purchase?
The monthly code will be in your active offers if you are using it online. In store it should show up at checkout as available before payment. You should be able to use both at the same time. Sometimes the codes wont work with certain sales items. And finally you can double dip the monthly if you write down the code or apply it to your online cart (but dont use it), and use it in store first, then you can use it again online

You won't get another $5 for this month.

My store said they're part of a new trial program. Buy a bag for $0.99 and anything you bring in to trade in it gets and extra 10%, so 20% for PUR pro members. It does not stack with the preorder bonus, but hopefully with the +$5. She said it's good through end of June.

The bag is about 3/4 the size of the ones you fill with collectibles.

[attachment=35581:gs-flyer.jpeg]

If you look at the details it's 15% on extended warranties and 1% on everything else.
"Product Replacement Plans, Pre-owned Games, Gaming Accessories, Collectibles and Apparel"

Either they changed it since you looked at it or you're looking at a different list than I am.

When I traded in my v1 switch in March, I accidentally included my pro controller cable in the trade and they took it. Now it's May and I have a pro controller without its cable. What should I do in this situation? You can only get the model no. HAC-010 cable when you buy a pro controller.

When I traded in my v1 switch in March, I accidentally included my pro controller cable in the trade and they took it. Now it's May and I have a pro controller without its cable. What should I do in this situation? You can only get the model no. HAC-010 cable when you buy a pro controller.
Thought any USB C cable would charge a pro controller.

"Product Replacement Plans, Pre-owned Games, Gaming Accessories, Collectibles and Apparel"

Either they changed it since you looked at it or you're looking at a different list than I am.
Yeah looks like it changed for the better since I posted. A good thing.

When I traded in my v1 switch in March, I accidentally included my pro controller cable in the trade and they took it. Now it's May and I have a pro controller without its cable. What should I do in this situation?
Are you just trying to use the controller? In that case I would charge it overnight with the console's wall a/c adapter or something.

I wouldn't worry too much about using the correct cable. I use a Nyko charge block. I find the attachment the most visually compatible vs the other ones. They're like $19 on amazon now. Gamestop clearanced out their first gen pro/joy docks about a year ago between $5-$11. Your local one might still have some in stock if you ask.

I have the dock connected to a usb port on the switch dock and it's kept my 4 pros charged fine.

6pbFwWP.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back