2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this has been covered, but does the monthly reward certificate work on $5 eshop gift cards or just $10 ones? Thanks in advance.

Is this anything like when they suddenly had hundreds of “used” Metroid trilogy in stock at over msrp a few years back?
That happened for xenoblade 1 and Metroid but nope not remotely close to the same thing. Those got reprinted and resold as used to skirt MSRP and get the higher used pricing while keeping up the appearance of being hard to get. It fooled people for quite a while.

Store inventory on the website, for the moment, is back off -1 values.

Found a complete copy of Persona Endless Night Collection for $7 after the monthly $5.  Not much else around me.

I am a sucker whenever GS reloads on retro games. Wish I had participated back when they had retro sales... but didn't want them back then! Lets see how destroyed/fake these n64/nes/snes carts are!  :oldman:

dont know how so many people have trouble with gamestop shipping. I order over the $35 free shipping threshold and get my items within 3-5 days every time i order.

dont know how so many people have trouble with gamestop shipping. I order over the $35 free shipping threshold and get my items within 3-5 days every time i order.
I rarely have issues with shipping. It's usually a problem with what is inside the mailer, with defective, missing, and wrong games occurring rather frequently

I am a sucker whenever GS reloads on retro games. Wish I had participated back when they had retro sales... but didn't want them back then! Lets see how destroyed/fake these n64/nes/snes carts are! :oldman:
If you got a large amount, curious to see what ratio are complete, functional, or fake trash. The chance of complete has got to be zero. Has anyone ever gotten a complete game that came in a cardboard box originally? Let us know how it compares to a dumpster dive overall.

If you got a large amount, curious to see what ratio are complete, functional, or fake trash. The chance of complete has got to be zero. Has anyone ever gotten a complete game that came in a cardboard box originally? Let us know how it compares to a dumpster dive overall.
Not since they sold them in-store. But I did maybe 5 years ago in-store. Also got an SNES in the box with the styrofoam. For online, I've only received CIB copies of disc games

Nice, had $200 in trade credit and spent it all on Retro stuff. Gamestop prices are actually really good for retro, now I just gotta hope that they are all in decent shape. Worst I've gotten from Gamestop was Mega Man cart that had its surface texture ruined by some sort of corrosive substance.

I'll report back once they arrive. Oldest retro game I received complete ever was normal DS game. Everything else came in a ziplock bag typically. I ordered a bunch of random retro to use up credit as my major flipping days may be behind me with le ban. Weird to not care that there isn't a sale with these purchases, but did buy a new game on the games > $50.

NES - Zelda² / Contra / Crystalis

SNES - Mario All-stars, F-Zero, Chrono Trigger, Illusion of Gaia, Killer Instinct

Gameboy/DS - Zelda, Golden Sun, Days of Ruin

N64 - Pokemon Stadiums, Snap, Smash Bros, Zelda

I predict 20% will have a destroyed/no sticker, 10% will have someone's name in sharpie, 30% will be fake!, 50% will looks terrible but I'll still keep because I have low standards. I don't have an actual console to test most of these, so maybe should just get one of those 5 in 1 retron systems. :oldman:

I've only bought a few retro N64 games from Gamestop but I've had good luck.  I bought an HDMI adapter for N64 when they had a "comes with 2 games" sale and got Mario Kart and I think Mario Party 2, both authentic both worked, sold them each off to a friend for $40 each since I owned them. 

When they had the B1G at $29.99 or higher get 50% off a pre-owned game, I bought Spongebob Bikini Bottom (week it came out) and got half off Star Craft 64 (which was crazy cause I saved $42 bon star craft 64).  I totally expected it to be fake/destroyed but it wasn't. Great condition and seemingly authentic. 

I then took advantage of the next time they did that sale and got Paper Mario 64 for half off when buying the new Paper Mario. Again, great condition, authentic, works great.  

I see why they've stopped doing 50% off a pre-owned game for that deal though haha

I've only bought a few retro N64 games from Gamestop but I've had good luck. I bought an HDMI adapter for N64 when they had a "comes with 2 games" sale and got Mario Kart and I think Mario Party 2, both authentic both worked, sold them each off to a friend for $40 each since I owned them.

When they had the B1G at $29.99 or higher get 50% off a pre-owned game, I bought Spongebob Bikini Bottom (week it came out) and got half off Star Craft 64 (which was crazy cause I saved $42 bon star craft 64). I totally expected it to be fake/destroyed but it wasn't. Great condition and seemingly authentic.

I then took advantage of the next time they did that sale and got Paper Mario 64 for half off when buying the new Paper Mario. Again, great condition, authentic, works great.

I see why they've stopped doing 50% off a pre-owned game for that deal though haha
They still do that online lol. Just add a second $29.99 game to the cart.

I know this was asked before but I forgot the answer and can’t find it. If I bought a ps5 bundle can I return the games or extra controller? Thanks I’m advance.
Don’t push it or argue, and not really cool to try at multiple stores, but doesn’t hurt to ask. I think the website does say you have to return everything, but they also count open games as “new”, so they already run pretty loose with their terminology. And forced bundles are BS anyway, so I don’t think there is anything wrong with asking. They can refund artificial bundles, it’s just a bunch of random full priced stuff on an itemized receipt.

Thanks for the tip on this! I knew my local store always has collector's editions real high in ladder distance and I found a sealed copy for $23 in store!

Also in the same trip, surprisingly found a pre-owned Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Legacy steelbook for PS4 with all 3 discs for $35! This find alone is grail worthy since the Steelbook with the games without the art book and outer box goes for $140+ so I'm still shocked I found it!

So did they just get rid of the Wishlist page? I have it bookmarked but it just goes to the Account page...

I think so...Another brilliant move for their site, I had a lot of stuff on mine that I wanted to get cheap eventually....shoulda used a pen and paper I guess.
I'll repeat my long-standing mantra toward Gamestop : I have never seen another company try so hard to keep customers from buying their products.

Most of the things they do seem completely antithetical to their own business.

Yeah this is nuts, I don't understand how getting rid of the wishlists benefits them. Does it cost extra on their end to offer them or something?

Berserk and the band of the hawk PS4 about to shoot up in value :(.  I guess another one I’m glad I got during their essential business COVID clearance sales.  

Weird how wishlist was removed in phases.  Maybe something they did broke adding new items, and now they just decided it wasn’t worth fixing.  Or if they want to purge a bunch of retro listings they will never get back, but they were still in people’s wishlists, had to wipe it out?

The wishlist feature has gone away and come back like a dozen times now.  Seems every time they update their site they either cause it to go away or they have to hide it until they can update further.  Super frustrating though.  Save for later in cart still works, though that feature has also randomly gone away and come back before. 

Their most recent update clearly introduce a bunch of really bad queries too.  Last night I was trying to filter pre-owned xbox one games by cheap to high and each filter, action resulted in another web request/query and all of them were taking a really long time to execute. So I selected all the filters then just sat and watched as the results kept changing as the page processed all the requests. Then it reverted to the non-filtered list. I suspect someone wried it up so each check of a filter performs the query instead of on "Done" and also think that someone messed up and is querying the db table of all games and not just the list of games for a specific format (well that or they pinned a bad plan/forgot to add indexes to their database tables after the last update). 

Found some copies of Heartgold and Soulsilver online for pickup but it wouldn't let me checkout. Called the store and they put them on hold for me. On my way to pick them up now :)

I'll report back once they arrive. Oldest retro game I received complete ever was normal DS game. Everything else came in a ziplock bag typically. I ordered a bunch of random retro to use up credit as my major flipping days may be behind me with le ban. Weird to not care that there isn't a sale with these purchases, but did buy a new game on the games > $50.

SNES - Mario All-stars, F-Zero, Chrono Trigger, Illusion of Gaia, Killer Instinct

I predict 20% will have a destroyed/no sticker, 10% will have someone's name in sharpie, 30% will be fake!, 50% will looks terrible but I'll still keep because I have low standards. I don't have an actual console to test most of these, so maybe should just get one of those 5 in 1 retron systems. :oldman:

I've gotten fake chrono triggers from them before. The other games probably not as likely, as they are nowhere near as valuable.

The wishlist feature has gone away and come back like a dozen times now. Seems every time they update their site they either cause it to go away or they have to hide it until they can update further. Super frustrating though. Save for later in cart still works, though that feature has also randomly gone away and come back before.

Their most recent update clearly introduce a bunch of really bad queries too. Last night I was trying to filter pre-owned xbox one games by cheap to high and each filter, action resulted in another web request/query and all of them were taking a really long time to execute. So I selected all the filters then just sat and watched as the results kept changing as the page processed all the requests. Then it reverted to the non-filtered list. I suspect someone wried it up so each check of a filter performs the query instead of on "Done" and also think that someone messed up and is querying the db table of all games and not just the list of games for a specific format (well that or they pinned a bad plan/forgot to add indexes to their database tables after the last update).
Can't imagine they have the best programmers. Maybe if they offered them shares during the height of the frenzy...

Berserk and the band of the hawk PS4 about to shoot up in value :(. I guess another one I’m glad I got during their essential business COVID clearance sales.

Weird how wishlist was removed in phases. Maybe something they did broke adding new items, and now they just decided it wasn’t worth fixing. Or if they want to purge a bunch of retro listings they will never get back, but they were still in people’s wishlists, had to wipe it out?
I can't believe Miura is just...gone. Everyone joked about the Berserk hiatuses but I never expected him to just suddenly pass away.

I can't believe Miura is just...gone. Everyone joked about the Berserk hiatuses but I never expected him to just suddenly pass away.
Any death is tragic, but pretty much devoting his life to telling one story, putting as much thought, effort and singular talent into it as he clearly did, and not being able to finish, that hits hard.

Heartgold and Soulsilver I drove pretty far for ended up being fake. What was nice was that I found Castlevania Portrait of Ruin, Dawn of Sorrow, and Order of Ecclesia all cart only. I assumed they were all fakes traded in with the Pokemon Games but I checked and each save file was from the same person and holding saves with 20+ hours on them.

Does anyone know how to spot fake Castlevania games and is them holding saves a good indication that they're legit? The Pokemon games were obviously fake because of cartridge color. Also found a Dragon Quest IX DS there cart only too.

Heartgold and Soulsilver I drove pretty far for ended up being fake. What was nice was that I found Castlevania Portrait of Ruin, Dawn of Sorrow, and Order of Ecclesia all cart only. I assumed they were all fakes traded in with the Pokemon Games but I checked and each save file was from the same person and holding saves with 20+ hours on them.

Does anyone know how to spot fake Castlevania games and is them holding saves a good indication that they're legit? The Pokemon games were obviously fake because of cartridge color. Also found a Dragon Quest IX DS there cart only too.
You will need to look at the codes on the front and back to see if they match. After that, clues on the label will be how you tell. Also, DSi and 3DS/2DS models usually won't play fakes. But that isn't always the case.

And no, having saves on it is not a good indicator. That means nothing really.

Next time you should call the store and have them shine a light through any HG/SS, B/W, B2/W2 carts before making a very long drive. Lucky it paid off for you, but that was extremely lucky.

Edit: What color were the Pokemon games? Gray or Black?

make sure serial matches the back and compare the font on the back to a genuine ds cart, make sure theres a slight indent in the middle of the top of the cart, all real carts have one
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yNm6cHq3QWE

post pics if you want and we can prob tell if theyre fake or not

IMO it's sad that a game specialty store like Gamestop has so many fakes. I totally get that a fake or two would slip though but this seems far too common. It's something I would expect from Craigslist or Ebay not a store that claims to specialize in selling video games. Couldn't someone from corporate take a few hours to put together a document to show how to spot fakes and send it out to their stores to use?

IMO it's sad that a game specialty store like Gamestop has so many fakes. I totally get that a fake or two would slip though but this seems far too common. It's something I would expect from Craigslist or Ebay not a store that claims to specialize in selling video games. Couldn't someone from corporate take a few hours to put together a document to show how to spot fakes and send it out to their stores to use?
Fakes don't matter for their old school business model. They only want to churn a working copy over and over...basically a rental store. They should probably adapt to the collector's market but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back