2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had a GameStop employee, possibly a store manager training someone, casually mention they sell nice looking trades as new.  She said that in relation to G2L, but what’s the difference if it’s used less than 48 hours or not, it was opened and used outside their store.  Just confirming what we already knew, but there it is.  Messed up, especially during COVID.  I’m sure the sketchier stores do that all the time whether it’s G2L or not.  Wonder if it’s corporate policy or just an ambitious or bad store manager trying to make their numbers look better than their peer’s.  The generosity of their G2L program makes a little more sense now, it’s a new game, they are still getting plenty of sales for awhile.  Just sending out our used G2L trades to unsuspecting customers thinking they are buying new, so absolutely no loss to them, and they still have the original customers money since the return is in trade credit.  Probably helps their books as well, making it look like additional sales.  Still a good offer for the original customer, but at the expense of everyone buying new later and instead getting G2L returns.

FWIW, I had an employee tell me yesterday that price matches don't work on "sale" prices. He wouldn't honor the price Amazon had for Scarlet Nexus. I showed him the same price on Wal-Mart and he wouldn't budge. Ended up not caring about it since I was paying for it with credit, didn't want to make a fuss.

This happen to anyone else? 

FWIW, I had an employee tell me yesterday that price matches don't work on "sale" prices. He wouldn't honor the price Amazon had for Scarlet Nexus. I showed him the same price on Wal-Mart and he wouldn't budge. Ended up not caring about it since I was paying for it with credit, didn't want to make a fuss.

This happen to anyone else?
Sounds like they just didn't want to do the price match

I was given that reasoning in my first (likely last) attempt at an instore pm. It basically just means "I don't want to help you with this."

Competing stores having lower "sale prices" is the whole point of a price match policy.

Yeah, I imagine he just didn't want to do it. I didn't want to come off snarky if I'd said something like "....do you know what the point of price matching is?"

Though if it happens again I'll have to pull that one out lol. 

I have been able to successfully price match my 2 stores without much issue. I just show them Wal-Marts price in the app and that its in stock. I even price matched Ratched and Clank for $69.00. 99 cents towards my Black Dualsense.

Wait, since when does Gamestop price match? Also, I've traded in brand new games to them where they open the shrink wrap to check to see if there's even a game inside. Maybe that's what the manager meant by selling trades as new. Because functionally the traded game IS technically brand new just opened.

I just saw the article about price matching. They finally decided to compete with other retailers.

It’s odd that the price match policy is not publicly available (and not available when shopping online?). That leads me to believe it could be pulled at any time.

It’s odd that the price match policy is not publicly available (and not available when shopping online?). That leads me to believe it could be pulled at any time.
Yeah with no official policy the employees can pull stuff like not price matching sale prices and the customer can't point bro any policy to call them out. Gives them freedom to do whatever they want. I'm genuinely not sure why they are doing bit if they aren't going to advertise it to at least get some good will from customers. I feel like the only people taking advantage of it are people like us that get in on all the exploits, and they really don't need to cater towards us.

Just had a GameStop employee, possibly a store manager training someone, casually mention they sell nice looking trades as new. She said that in relation to G2L, but what’s the difference if it’s used less than 48 hours or not, it was opened and used outside their store. Just confirming what we already knew, but there it is. Messed up, especially during COVID. I’m sure the sketchier stores do that all the time whether it’s G2L or not. Wonder if it’s corporate policy or just an ambitious or bad store manager trying to make their numbers look better than their peer’s. The generosity of their G2L program makes a little more sense now, it’s a new game, they are still getting plenty of sales for awhile. Just sending out our used G2L trades to unsuspecting customers thinking they are buying new, so absolutely no loss to them, and they still have the original customers money since the return is in trade credit. Probably helps their books as well, making it look like additional sales. Still a good offer for the original customer, but at the expense of everyone buying new later and instead getting G2L returns.
Selling new games doesn't help them very much. They want to sell the preowned game. They make more money off a preowned sale than a new sale.

Edit: Wasn't disputing they did what you said. Just wanted to mention how dumb this would be for them.

Wait, since when does Gamestop price match? Also, I've traded in brand new games to them where they open the shrink wrap to check to see if there's even a game inside. Maybe that's what the manager meant by selling trades as new. Because functionally the traded game IS technically brand new just opened.

I just saw the article about price matching. They finally decided to compete with other retailers.
Normally any smart employee would tell you they can't take the game since it is sealed. Even if you opened it up in front of them, they should have denied the trade.

You were lucky. And no, they aren't going to try selling it as new.

Just had a GameStop employee, possibly a store manager training someone, casually mention they sell nice looking trades as new. She said that in relation to G2L, but what’s the difference if it’s used less than 48 hours or not, it was opened and used outside their store. Just confirming what we already knew, but there it is. Messed up, especially during COVID. I’m sure the sketchier stores do that all the time whether it’s G2L or not. Wonder if it’s corporate policy or just an ambitious or bad store manager trying to make their numbers look better than their peer’s. The generosity of their G2L program makes a little more sense now, it’s a new game, they are still getting plenty of sales for awhile. Just sending out our used G2L trades to unsuspecting customers thinking they are buying new, so absolutely no loss to them, and they still have the original customers money since the return is in trade credit. Probably helps their books as well, making it look like additional sales. Still a good offer for the original customer, but at the expense of everyone buying new later and instead getting G2L returns.
Yeah. Pretty messed up to sell used G2L games as new.

BTW, the chance of someone contracting covid from a video game case is nearly nonexistent. You’ve got a better chance of winning the lottery. Speaking as a medical professional.

Interesting. One store near me takes them as a return rather than doing the trade-in with the code. I guess it is to re-sell as a "new"? I never questioned it because I'd rather have my sales tax back than the points for the purchase/trade.

Interesting. One store near me takes them as a return rather than doing the trade-in with the code. I guess it is to re-sell as a "new"? I never questioned it because I'd rather have my sales tax back than the points for the purchase/trade.
If they do a return, you lose the points from buying it.

The trade-in does 2 things:

1. You get points for the trade in

2. You get trade credit, which removes sales tax from purchases in most states. So your original purchase of $59.99 + tax is the same as $59.99 as trade credit. If you look at your receipt or the screen where you pay with your credit/debit card, it will change the amount to the item price with no tax after swiping your trade card.

You are actually getting screwed this way by the employee unless you are only using it as a 1-2 day rental and don't care about points or Game Coin (if the title is eligible for it). In that case, you do you I guess.

I don't know why the store would do this honestly. A return hurts their metrics (return means -1 new sale, no preowned trade-in) and having to sell it again as new instead of preowned is a worse scenario overall.

Next time insist to use the G2L code or go to a different store.

2. You get trade credit, which is removes sales tax from purchases in most states. So your original purchase of $59.99 + tax is the same as $59.99 as trade credit.

You are actually getting screwed this way by the employee unless you are just using it as a 1-2 day rental. In that case, you do you I guess.

I don't know why the store would do this honestly. A return hurts their metrics (return means -1 new sale, no preowned trade-in) and having to sell it again as new instead of preowned is a worse scenario overall.

Their post says they were charged sales tax so they probably prefer the return.

Their post says they were charged sales tax so they probably prefer the return.
Charged sales tax on the original transaction, yes. But if they get trade credit, most states remove the sales tax when using trade credit.

Item price + sales tax is the exact same thing as using trade credit for the amount of the item.

If he buys a game for $59.99 + tax, then when he uses the trade credit, it will change the amount to only $59.99. No sales tax at all charged.

Charged sales tax on the original transaction, yes. But if they get trade credit, most states remove the sales tax when using trade credit.

Item price + sales tax is the exact same thing as using trade credit for the amount of the item.

If he buys a game for $59.99 + tax, then when he uses the trade credit, it will change the amount to only $59.99. No sales tax at all charged.
I live somewhere that charges sales tax on trade credit purchases. Unless there is a game coin, I would prefer the return.

2. You get trade credit, which removes sales tax from purchases in most states. So your original purchase of $59.99 + tax is the same as $59.99 as trade credit. If you look at your receipt or the screen where you pay with your credit/debit card, it will change the amount to the item price with no tax after swiping your trade card.

You are actually getting screwed this way by the employee unless you are only using it as a 1-2 day rental and don't care about points or Game Coin (if the title is eligible for it). In that case, you do you I guess.

No, I'm not. My state doesn't remove the sales tax when paying with trade credit. I do this as a points (and monthly cert) to TiC conversion. I get $63.59 back in TiC. As I said in my OP, I'd rather have the extra $3.60 in TiC than 2400 points.

Also, for the Game Coin, I've always received it the next day. I use the Game Coin immediately. It doesn't get lost.

Selling new games doesn't help them very much. They want to sell the preowned game. They make more money off a preowned sale than a new sale.

Edit: Wasn't disputing they did what you said. Just wanted to mention how dumb this would be for them.

Normally any smart employee would tell you they can't take the game since it is sealed. Even if you opened it up in front of them, they should have denied the trade.

You were lucky. And no, they aren't going to try selling it as new.
Ok, interesting. Even if it would sell for more money, I don’t know why they do that then either, but really odd and interesting thing to overhear.

As far as opening the shrink wrap, I know all about that. LOL. Only happened to me once, but just casually chatting while they did it, my surprise about it, the employee freaked out and threatened to get the police involved. I guess they didn’t like my chatting while they were trying to process things, but that’s all that could have set them off, there wasn’t any conflict or argument at all. I posted about it here already, but still a pretty memorable experience. Basically “oh, you have to open that, interesting, never had to do anything like that before but go ahead”. “I can make you leave my store if you don’t like it”. “Huh, where did that come from, are you kidding”, ”no, do I need to call the police?!” Later found out she was lying about being store manager when I called just to make sure she was aware in reflection, that was way out of line, and instead got the actual store manager. Just mentioned the experience to them instead and never saw her again. Anyway, opening the shrink wrap had nothing to do with my Mario Golf G2L trade they are going to resell to someone else as new, it was already open.

Has anyone that bought the Ps5 bundle from last week had their points post yet? I can see it in my order history but do not see the points yet.

What do you guys do with the $5 certificate.  Haven't used mine the last few months.  Can never really find anything to use it on.  Don't want to just get a random game just because it's $5 off

What do you guys do with the $5 certificate. Haven't used mine the last few months. Can never really find anything to use it on. Don't want to just get a random game just because it's $5 off
Xbox credit or Nintendo eshop credit in store. I had luck stacking a price match with monthly $5 for Mario golf.

What do you guys do with the $5 certificate. Haven't used mine the last few months. Can never really find anything to use it on. Don't want to just get a random game just because it's $5 off
Basically what everyone else has said so far. However for me this month I was able to actually use it online for a digital eshop card, rather than having to go in store. Dunno if everyone else has been able to do that, but I believe this is the first month that I could.

Basically what everyone else has said so far. However for me this month I was able to actually use it online for a digital eshop card, rather than having to go in store. Dunno if everyone else has been able to do that, but I believe this is the first month that I could.
Thanks so much for this. I couldn't get a $5 one to go thru online foe free but I got 5 off a 10 eshop card online. I think I used it in store this month too so you can still double dip.

Thanks so much for this. I couldn't get a $5 one to go thru online foe free but I got 5 off a 10 eshop card online. I think I used it in store this month too so you can still double dip.
Yeah, you can no longer place an order that doesn't have a balance owed. Used to be able to get a free funko mystery mini every month.

Has anyone that bought the Ps5 bundle from last week had their points post yet? I can see it in my order history but do not see the points yet.
I bought a bundle in May and only ever received points for the gift card. I had to contact support about missing points, and they added them within minutes.

This doesn't make much sense to me. They make more profit selling a used game for $55 than a new game for $60.

If they take in a used game and sell it as new they are making a larger profit. $60>$55
They can't do that though. Selling a new game would make the cost basis associated with whatever their cost is from their distributor, since this used --> new conversion won't be allowed in their books, so the profit would be significantly less. Selling it as used would allow them to associate the cost with the trade in value. Let's say they gave $30 trade in credit and they value trade in credit at 90% in their books, the cost basis for a used game would be $27, which is far less than what they would be paying their distributors for a new one.

Yeah, you can no longer place an order that doesn't have a balance owed. Used to be able to get a free funko mystery mini every month.
Why did they change this? I just don't understand why they would purposely program the system to deny you being able to use the $5 coupon on items $5 or less since it seems like they're going to just field destroy those anyway. I'm assuming it might be to encourage you to use the coupon on something more expensive so they make more money that way?

Why did they change this? I just don't understand why they would purposely program the system to deny you being able to use the $5 coupon on items $5 or less since it seems like they're going to just field destroy those anyway. I'm assuming it might be to encourage you to use the coupon on something more expensive so they make more money that way?
Have you seen how bad they are at coding promotions? This is their hard stop if they truly mess up and the system spits out free games (just happened last week with Assassins Creed).

I would not be surprised at all if GameStop has some funky book keeping.  They do sell open as new, so used as new is not a far stretch and really just semantics.  If they do make more selling things pre-owned, why not sell their opened display copies as pre-owned too to finally solve that service issue?  They obviously convert new to pre-owned fairly often, either to sell at a markup, or more often when they want to clear out inventory of a particular game.  Like when people mention a particular game was recently converted to pre-owned.  I guess that would be more difficult to deal with a few copies per store than just a bunch of the same game in bulk, and probably has to do with their accounting for how they obtained the inventory?

As another side note, I could be wrong, but one thing I noticed…if you ever get a game case where one or two edges are a little bit shaved with white fuzzy shaving residue, I think that is from whatever machine they use to open up new games in bulk.  It doing a poor job of it on some edges.  I’ve only ever noticed it with PS4 games.  Never with a new game, and most often when it’s preowned coming like new from GameStop.

The associates talking about selling my used game as new were pretty clear.  When I said I wanted to do the G2L trade in, they started talking about all the details, hemming and hawing about if they could do it or not, discussing whether it was still valid on Sunday, that they thought it was over.  Took my receipt and started to “read” some of the fine print at one point reciting the terms from memory though, because I checked my receipt for any terms or the trade code prior, there were none.  While reciting their memorized terms they said, yeah, ended Saturday, but pretended to be reading that from the receipt, pointing at nothing on it…l did notice terms in their weekly ad at the front door though, brought that up and the G2L code that Alex posted (thanks!).  They said they would give it a try, and were surprised to find it worked and I got my full credit, but that it was ok because they can sell it as new.

I also figured that they purposely damage the cases of the new games converted to preowned by slicing the sides so they look more "used" just so that people don't suspect any funny business and complain like they did with reprints in the past like Metroid Prime Trilogy. Because back then the cases never had damage, they only started seemingly purposely damaging them just so people think they're trade ins and not just brand new games opened and then converted to used. GS has been doing this since at least the PSX days where they sell reprinted "new" games as used and then jack up the prices past MSRP. That's how I got mint but opened copies of Persona 2 and Rhapsody back then.

Best just to try it and see. I used my $5 at the start of the month in store on $5 xbox gift credit and I did it again with the same code online. It may not work next month, you'll just have to try and hope it goes through.

So I just received my order for 13 Sentinels that was DOTD for $25 almost 2 weeks ago! When I logged into the website the tracking number shows this was all shipped all the way from Rhode Island to California via FedEx. Of course this was a gutted copy! Shipment via Fedex with GS has really gone down the drain pipe.

I'm guessing store shipments are randomly shipped according to inventory? I ordered 2 other used games for the 20% of deal combined with 13 Sentinels. 1 game arrived in a generic case. The other was complete. Both are PS4 games!

According the online inventory no local store within 50 miles have any inventory of 13 sentinels. Looks like this is going back!

So I just received my order for 13 Sentinels that was DOTD for $25 almost 2 weeks ago! When I logged into the website the tracking number shows this was all shipped all the way from Rhode Island to California via FedEx. Of course this was a gutted copy! Shipment via Fedex with GS has really gone down the drain pipe.

I'm guessing store shipments are randomly shipped according to inventory? I ordered 2 other used games for the 20% of deal combined with 13 Sentinels. 1 game arrived in a generic case. The other was complete. Both are PS4 games!

According the online inventory no local store within 50 miles have any inventory of 13 sentinels. Looks like this is going back!
Honestly I have no idea what the criteria for determining shipping location is. It seems to be random. If you order just one item it's likely not coming from your closest available retail store, and if you order multiple items, it's a crapshoot if they even make an attempt to find a store that has both, or just ship the items from two different locations.

Even then, I'm not sure if all retail stores ship or what triggers online inventory to be available. For example, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is sold out online. Are they implying zero retail stores have that game? Or are they looking only at a certain list of stores, or does there need to be a minimum number of stock at retail available for it to trigger as available online? Even though demand is up, it's still a pretty common game, I'd imagine 50-100 stores or so across the country have that game in stock. So if there is a minimum required quantity, I'm curious how much it is and if it varies by game, platform, etc.

It shouldn't be. I walked in today and just said I wanted to use my $5 coupon for a $5 Xbox code and the guy handled it. I didn't buy anything else yet he still spent 5 minutes going over every game announced at E3 fishing for preorders.
God I hate that, I gotta learn how to say no immediately and save them the time of saying all that stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back