2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Put those reprints on Switch and I'll bite at that price. Played those on N64, original Xbox, and Gamecube, Would love to play them again on the go.

Why don’t you use the certificates on Black Friday sales instead. They worked for me the past few years.
The amount of PUR points you get back from a purchase is dependent on if you used certificates or not. Buy a $20 game and use a $15 certificate, well you only get points on $5 of that purchase.

If however you buy a game with PUR points and trade it back in with G2L, then you at least get points for trading it in. It's probably one the fastest (if not the fastest) ways of converting points to credit. It also helps have credit, so you can use it online and not have to go in store.

I'm alright paying an extra $10 for the Switch tax. I just don't want to pay $100 for the LRG version scalpers.
I thought LRG were no longer limited to a predetermined number? Last 2 I bought (SW Episode I Racer and Scott Pilgrim) were open for pre-order for so many weeks to as many people as wanted them. How is there still sufficient excess demand to create a scalpers market so soon?

Can reward certs be used for xbox/psn cards?
Yes, just make sure it is an in store cert. I cashed out for a $25 cert and I stacked my $5 monthly PUR cert to get a $30 Xbox gift card (asked the cashier for $30 value, printed on receipt) this month.

I thought LRG were no longer limited to a predetermined number? Last 2 I bought (SW Episode I Racer and Scott Pilgrim) were open for pre-order for so many weeks to as many people as wanted them. How is there still sufficient excess demand to create a scalpers market so soon?
It's Star Wars, my dude. Literally, a religion for some folks...

Only a small percentage of star war fans even know LRG exists. If this is on a shelf at Gamestop, Best Buy or even catching someone's attention browsing ebay, it will be exposed to more of those crazy Star Wars fans.

Is it worth trading in a PS4 slim 1tb to GameStop? Or should I wait? Things seem to be getting harder to get, and with the holidays coming up is it better to hold out? Will GameStop likely to offer more then 175 for it or should I take that now?

Is it worth trading in a PS4 slim 1tb to GameStop? Or should I wait? Things seem to be getting harder to get, and with the holidays coming up is it better to hold out? Will GameStop likely to offer more then 175 for it or should I take that now?
sell it locally, easy 300
my local game store is trying to sell new ps4s for 500+
half these places mottos are at least were not gamestop and theyre even worse

Only a small percentage of star war fans even know LRG exists. If this is on a shelf at Gamestop, Best Buy or even catching someone's attention browsing ebay, it will be exposed to more of those crazy Star Wars fans.
Yeah but we're talking about scalper prices on LRG on resale sites. He said the prices for the LRG versions of these are $100 or so. I don't understand the demand there if these people had weeks to pre-order. It's not like these games were released 5 years ago. They were just released last year.

Curious how long the Switch has been holding its current trade in value? Was originally gonna sell mine on eBay since the OLED comes out in like 3 weeks, but seems like on average they are barely going for $250-$270ish plus the hassle of shipping cost, their deductions, plus potential buyer issues.

Seems like taking the slight hit would be smarter and much easier, plus I could just grab an Oculus Quest with the credit.

Need to dump 3x copies of Mario Kart, 2x Super Smash Bros Ultimate, 2x Zelda Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, and Link’s Awakening. Advice on how to maximize credit with current promos and offerings please and thanks.

Need to dump 3x copies of Mario Kart, 2x Super Smash Bros Ultimate, 2x Zelda Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, and Link’s Awakening. Advice on how to maximize credit with current promos and offerings please and thanks.
Unless a pro day Saturday announcement pops up for an additional 10% credit, you've got 30% for pre-ordering Metroid Dread. Go put $5 credit down on it when you trade in your 5 unique games toward it, go back the next day and put another $1 down on that pre-order with your double copies, then go back a 3rd day and do another $1 down with the last copy of Kart. Or go to 3 different stores and do $5 in each then deal with the hassle of cancelling and moving those pre-orders around.

Unless a pro day Saturday announcement pops up for an additional 10% credit, you've got 30% for pre-ordering Metroid Dread. Go put $5 credit down on it when you trade in your 5 unique games toward it, go back the next day and put another $1 down on that pre-order with your double copies, then go back a 3rd day and do another $1 down with the last copy of Kart. Or go to 3 different stores and do $5 in each then deal with the hassle of cancelling and moving those pre-orders around.
Greatly appreciated CAG! Can I cancel the preorder after getting the pumped up credit? I don’t like GS’s preorder bonuses.

Yeah but we're talking about scalper prices on LRG on resale sites. He said the prices for the LRG versions of these are $100 or so. I don't understand the demand there if these people had weeks to pre-order. It's not like these games were released 5 years ago. They were just released last year.
You're assuming that they knew the games released. Maybe they did, but most likely they didnt.

How can you be aware of something that doesn't come into your periphery? The longer something is out, the more exposure it gets, the higher the likelihood somebody who wasn't aware it had been released sees it. As a result demand increases and prices increase if the game is no longer readily available. Not a hard concept to grasp.

sell it locally, easy 300
my local game store is trying to sell new ps4s for 500+
half these places mottos are at least were not gamestop and theyre even worse
I'd rather deal with GS and lose money than sell it directly to someone. Dealing with people locally is far worse than dealing with GS. With GS you just trade it in and get your credit. Easy. Dealing with people you deal with flakes, people who try to haggle after you agreed on a price, no shows, idiots, gangsters and gangster wannabes who try to rob you or intimidate you, etc. The general population in this country (and world in general, really) scares me and there's no way I'll ever sell expensive electronics and meet up with people directly again after some of the experiences I've had...

I thought LRG were no longer limited to a predetermined number?  Last 2 I bought (SW Episode I Racer and Scott Pilgrim) were open for pre-order for so many weeks to as many people as wanted them.  How is there still sufficient excess demand to create a scalpers market so soon?
It seems like anything that's actually good and people want from LRG these days gets rereleased in a better retail or import package a few months later and often before you even get your LRG release. Buyer beware if you order from them.

This is none of my business but can I ask why people trade in such classic games as these? Or are these flips? Any new games that come out that you trade towards are definitely not going to be as good as these.

I'd rather deal with GS and lose money than sell it directly to someone. Dealing with people locally is far worse than dealing with GS. With GS you just trade it in and get your credit. Easy. Dealing with people you deal with flakes, people who try to haggle after you agreed on a price, no shows, idiots, gangsters and gangster wannabes who try to rob you or intimidate you, etc. The general population in this country (and world in general, really) scares me and there's no way I'll ever sell expensive electronics and meet up with people directly again after some of the experiences I've had...
must suck being scared all the time

must suck being scared all the time
It's called not being a victim, opportunity cost, valuing your time, etc. The types of people that use Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, and other of those types of sites sadly aren't always the best folks. In the news you always hear about incidents with people selling electronics on these sites but I've never heard a news story of someone getting beaten and robbed from a GS employee when trading in their Switch.

Tried to sell my Xbox One S on Facebook a couple years ago. Guy agreed to meet me at the police station. At meetup time the guy asks to lower the price. I say no and 20 minutes later he says he got in a car accident and can’t come. I say deal is off and he threatens to post bad things about me on Facebook.

Traded into GameStop later that week.

It's called not being a victim, opportunity cost, valuing your time, etc. The types of people that use Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, and other of those types of sites sadly aren't always the best folks. In the news you always hear about incidents with people selling electronics on these sites but I've never heard a news story of someone getting beaten and robbed from a GS employee when trading in their Switch.
then meet at police stations.

Curious how long the Switch has been holding its current trade in value? Was originally gonna sell mine on eBay since the OLED comes out in like 3 weeks, but seems like on average they are barely going for $250-$270ish plus the hassle of shipping cost, their deductions, plus potential buyer issues.

Seems like taking the slight hit would be smarter and much easier, plus I could just grab an Oculus Quest with the credit.
A Switch is worth a ton more if it's a pre-Mariko unit so check your serial # for that before you sell.

You're assuming that they knew the games released. Maybe they did, but most likely they didnt.

How can you be aware of something that doesn't come into your periphery? The longer something is out, the more exposure it gets, the higher the likelihood somebody who wasn't aware it had been released sees it. As a result demand increases and prices increase if the game is no longer readily available. Not a hard concept to grasp.
There were a ton of articles posted about the SW Episode I Racer several days before its
4 week-long pre-order window opened. It was all over social media

This is none of my business but can I ask why people trade in such classic games as these? Or are these flips? Any new games that come out that you trade towards are definitely not going to be as good as these.
OfferUp opportunity someone had 11 games for $10 each and I picked the best 9. Now this was in a shady area so I was really risking losing a kidney for $90. But IMO totally worth it. The first address they sent me to meet them at was an apartment complex in the hood where people get shot and stabbed regularly so I requested politely to meet somewhere else and they chose 7-11. Overall a fun experience 10/10.

I’m glad you asked. Interesting story and probably never gonna happen again. I have these games in my collection already and this happened to be an OfferUp opportunity I didn’t want to pass up. The account that posted it was created this year this month and it’s only post was this one involving some Nintendo Switch stuff. Me being the goof that I am took the bait. What the heck right? If it’s fake I’ll just move on. He sends me the address of meeting and it happens to be a high crime apartment complex where people get shot or stabbed regularly. I look it up and realize this so I politely ask to relocate to a new meeting place and he chooses a 7-11 down the street. Still skeptical but determined I still go and it ends up being legit. It’s a young man and his brother or friend and they were sitting right in front of the 7-11. Now I feel like I may have risked driving 40 minutes for no reason or getting shot or stabbed for $90 but to me it was totally worth it. YMMV of course but interesting experience. 10/10 would do it again.

I’m glad you asked. Interesting story and probably never gonna happen again. I have these games in my collection already and this happened to be an OfferUp opportunity I didn’t want to pass up. The account that posted it was created this year this month and it’s only post was this one involving some Nintendo Switch stuff. Me being the goof that I am took the bait. What the heck right? If it’s fake I’ll just move on. He sends me the address of meeting and it happens to be a high crime apartment complex where people get shot or stabbed regularly. I look it up and realize this so I politely ask to relocate to a new meeting place and he chooses a 7-11 down the street. Still skeptical but determined I still go and it ends up being legit. It’s a young man and his brother or friend and they were sitting right in front of the 7-11. Now I feel like I may have risked driving 40 minutes for no reason or getting shot or stabbed for $90 but to me it was totally worth it. YMMV of course but interesting experience. 10/10 would do it again.
must be stolen

Lol my problem’s usually with buyers *cough* lowballers/fakers. I really hate when someone says they’re 1 hour away then tells you 10 min later they’re at the location then now u gotta hurry up and they ask for a discount cuz you’ve kept them waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back