2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's funny because I don't think the general public knew about this promo. If it was not for this thread I would have never known that Gamestop was offering $260 trade credit for a Switch.
This is definitely true. It's nowhere on the site to my knowledge. I could buy up some consoles and controllers on offer up or FB marketplace and easily get over $1000 in trade credit if I wanted but not going to. All I did was trade in my PS4 Pro with some games and 2 joy con and bought a One S all digital for $120 and traded that in. I see some One X going for $200-$220 but I just don't want to keep buying and then going to GS etc. All I really want in the future is a PSVR2 but someone could certainly go crazy and I am sure many already have.

Does anyone know if the Switch OLED is bound by the same restrictions as the PS5/Series X stock with the microchip shortage?  Just trying to predict (I know, it isn't 100%) if OLED stock is just being manipulated like Nintendo as usual.  I'm really considering trading in my current Switch for the $260 before I can secure an OLED system, but I don't want that wait to be too long in between

I wonder if the playstation vr headset and motion controllers are under the 50% bump?
I traded in my PSVR and got $146 total I think in 3 seperate lines, the headset did not get the bump but the camera and motion controllers did. Not an amazing price but I've not touched it once in a year and doubt I will touch it again, rather sit on the credit than more useless junk.

They needed the headset+breakout box/cables (1 trade) with HDMI/microUSB cable/earbuds, then seperately 2x motion controllers ($22 ea after bumps) and PS4 camera ($27.20 i think old gen, might get more for v2). It was the first PSVR system they traded in so it took a while, no testing but they did ask me if it worked ok.

I traded in my PSVR and got $146 total I think in 3 seperate lines, the headset did not get the bump but the camera and motion controllers did. Not an amazing price but I've not touched it once in a year and doubt I will touch it again, rather sit on the credit than more useless junk.

They needed the headset+breakout box/cables (1 trade) with HDMI/microUSB cable/earbuds, then seperately 2x motion controllers ($22 ea after bumps) and PS4 camera ($27.20 i think old gen, might get more for v2). It was the first PSVR system they traded in so it took a while, no testing but they did ask me if it worked ok.
I'd still advise anyone to call up before to make sure.

Does anyone know if the Switch OLED is bound by the same restrictions as the PS5/Series X stock with the microchip shortage? Just trying to predict (I know, it isn't 100%) if OLED stock is just being manipulated like Nintendo as usual. I'm really considering trading in my current Switch for the $260 before I can secure an OLED system, but I don't want that wait to be too long in between
Yes, and the shortage is affecting many other industries as well. Even the price of used cars has been going up which is really strange since most cars depreciate in value not appreciate.

Does anyone know if the Switch OLED is bound by the same restrictions as the PS5/Series X stock with the microchip shortage? Just trying to predict (I know, it isn't 100%) if OLED stock is just being manipulated like Nintendo as usual. I'm really considering trading in my current Switch for the $260 before I can secure an OLED system, but I don't want that wait to be too long in between
Yes and no. It’s using an older chipset, so it’s not like it needs to fabricate new factories for it. I think the 260 is worth it if you’re willing to keep an eye out.

The other side is there’s availability and the trade values tank. We really don’t know because of COVID.

If I had a switch that was 2 years old or more I’d absolutely trade that in for $260 towards OLED. That’s a no brainer. Upgraded system. New warranty.

If I had a switch that was 2 years old or more I’d absolutely trade that in for $260 towards OLED. That’s a no brainer. Upgraded system. New warranty.
But the OLED is overpriced. I have a launch switch that I play docked 95% of the time. If the OLED was $299, I would agree with you but at $350 plus tax, it's just not worth it IMO. Games won't look or play any better docked. It's not a Switch Pro. You would be paying over $100 to upgrade to the OLED when it's not even a Pro system and has the exact same power as the launch Switch.

But the OLED is overpriced. I have a launch switch that I play docked 95% of the time. If the OLED was $299, I would agree with you but at $350 plus tax, it's just not worth it IMO. Games won't look or play any better docked. It's not a Switch Pro. You would be paying over $100 to upgrade to the OLED when it's not even a Pro system and has the exact same power as the launch Switch.
If GameStop paid you $210 for an old switch towards a $299 OLED switch, would you do it? I would. Tax sucks but can’t factor that in.

Traded in my household’s second switch for $260. Got a call 10 minutes later that they found an OLED for me. Redeemed my $15 on rewards points from yesterday’s trade and OLED to pay toward today’s. 🤩

GameStop was good to me this week. Wish they would give free release day delivery for preorders. Would be a cool perk and reduce preorders that get abandoned at the store.

Well since you have to pay tax in most states, of course you have to factor it in. No I would not upgrade for $90. The upgrades really only benefit people that mostly play handheld. Again, the POWER is the same. There are no new chip sets or graphics cards etc. It's the same as the 2017 Switch. Nintendo didn't do anything but some cosmetic stuff. It's fine if you think it's worth it but I need more than just a fancy new screen, better kickstand, an ethernet port and some other minor stuff. If the game looks the same with the same resolution and no performance boost at all, I don't see the need to upgrade. Especially at the rip off price Nintendo is charging for it.

If you pay fully in trade credit you don't pay tax in most (all?) states so if you find some extra stuff to trade it's definitely worth it.

Well since you have to pay tax in most states, of course you have to factor it in. No I would not upgrade for $90. The upgrades really only benefit people that mostly play handheld. Again, the POWER is the same. There are no new chip sets or graphics cards etc. It's the same as the 2017 Switch. Nintendo didn't do anything but some cosmetic stuff. It's fine if you think it's worth it but I need more than just a fancy new screen, better kickstand, an ethernet port and some other minor stuff. If the game looks the same with the same resolution and no performance boost at all, I don't see the need to upgrade. Especially at the rip off price Nintendo is charging for it.
Ok you just don’t value the OLED. That’s cool. To each his own.

They did give $260, but took away $50 for cracked vent and joycon slide out. I ended up getting $200 in steam giftcards, so I can get the steam deck

Haven't seen it posted yet, but this morning when I got my OLED Switch there was a promo to save 10% on two games purchased at the same time. Saved me $9 on the Metroid SE. Promo #26328
Just saying thank you for posting this. Worked for me when picking up a white oled preorder today. Promo automatically applied to new games and saved me $18.

After getting such a good deal on trading in my PS4 slim last week I did some soul searching and traded in a XB1S and PS4 Pro today. I got almost $800 for those three systems so I'm hoping one day I can get a PS5 from them since that's how much it seems to take to actually get a PS5 from them lol

Bought a used Xbone x with a few games from a local seller for 200 and traded it in for a cool 150 profit. Feels good, man.

Decided to use some of the credit I got today to pickup some PS space bucks and a PowerA Enhanced Switch Wireless Controller (Nook Inc. AC design - $31.93 on the website, normally $49.99). Might as well get some PS3, PSP, and Vita games I want while the getting is good. Sony/PS is changing how funds are added in order to buy games and content directly from the PS3 and Vita stores come 10/27/21.

email from PlayStation in the spoiler

Hi (PS username)

As you’ve recently enjoyed playing on PlayStation®3 or PlayStation®Vita, we want to let you know about some changes to the way you buy digital PS3™ and PS Vita content.

These changes have been introduced to enhance online payment security for all PS3 and PS Vita owners.

What’s changed?
Starting October 27th, 2021, you can no longer use a credit or debit card, or a payment method such as PayPal, to buy digital content or add funds to your wallet when visiting PlayStation™Store on your PS3 or PS Vita.

How do you purchase digital content now?

Should you wish to buy digital content for your PS3 or PS Vita, you must first add sufficient funds to your wallet. You can add funds by redeeming a PlayStation Store gift card via your PS3 or PS Vita, or by using a credit or debit card, PayPal or other available payment method using a desktop or mobile device, or a PS4 or a PS5 console.

To add funds to your wallet using a credit card or debit card, PayPal or other available payment method:

1) Access PS Store via your desktop computer, mobile device, PS4 or PS5 console.
2) Use a credit or debit card, PayPal or other available payment method to add the minimum amount required to your wallet to cover the cost of the content you want to buy. You can also add funds to your wallet by redeeming a PlayStation Store gift card.

Is there any other way to buy digital PS3 or PS Vita content?
No, you can only buy digital PS3 and PS Vita content by adding funds to your wallet as described above, then accessing PS Store directly from your PS3 or PS Vita.

Where can you find out more?
For more information about how to add funds to your wallet, please visit https://www.playstation.com/support/store/ps-store-top-up-wallet/

I would stop at trading in 3 of the same item, just to be on the safe side. 4 if you wanna live dangerously and don’t mind a 90 day trade ban
For what's it worth, I've traded in 4 copies of Watch Dogs Legion XB1 and no trade ban. But with anything GameStop, YMMV.

I haven't traded a lot in general and usually space out trades across separate stores, if need be. Also, very few boomerangs since there haven't been many good ones and they all require shipping with hope they would arrive before trade value drops. Most trade values have been steady last few weeks. Surprised Watch Dogs Legion has held for so long. Gamefly deal on that was great. Best trade to GameStop in a while.

Okay so I just came back from my second run. Went better this time, was prepared for a refurb fee (went to a different location) and folks were way more chill. 

So I sold: 

• Xbox 1 controller 
  • 360 CONTROLLER
  • PS4 Pro
  • two joycons 
  • red camouflage ps4 controller 
Total: $488. 

Between the Swtich and today’s haul: $726 in credits. That’s insane! Just gotta find a PS5 now, lol. 

Was able to get the $260 for the trade in of my launch day switch.

Both the employees were impressed as it looked brand new with box and all bags as I repackaged the way it was when I opened it 4 1/2 years ago.

Good deal as did not want to deal with eBay.

Yes, and the shortage is affecting many other industries as well. Even the price of used cars has been going up which is really strange since most cars depreciate in value not appreciate.
This is true. Vroom and Carvana offered me 2k more than what I spent two years ago for my Subaru STI. My wife’s registration was higher this year than last year because county taxes base it off value on the car. Crazy times we’re living in.

This is true. Vroom and Carvana offered me 2k more than what I spent two years ago for my Subaru STI. My wife’s registration was higher this year than last year because county taxes base it off value on the car. Crazy times we’re living in.
I wonder if it’s time to trade in my Forester and get a new car. Are new cars overpriced (selling close to MSRP) because of this chip shortage too?

Thanks to some cat named DrBayrd, I lost ~$10 in trade credit because I did need the USB-C cable to trade the NSW Pro Controller, lol.
Sorry brosky. I was happy to get 43 tc for my switch pro controller and keep the usb c cable for my series x. Guess its ymmv. When in doubt just keep the cable in your pocket or car next time.

Sorry brosky. I was happy to get 43 tc for my switch pro controller and keep the usb c cable for my series x. Guess its ymmv. When in doubt just keep the cable in your pocket or car next time.
It’s all good! Like I said before, lesson learned. They tend to be picky about things like that where I’m at. I watched the guy ring up a Micro USB cable so I could trade it and didn’t tell him it’s supposed to a USB-C cable, lol! I just let that ride, clyde.

It’s all good! Like I said before, lesson learned. They tend to be picky about things like that where I’m at.
It’s all a racket anyway. They sold me the same controller used without a usb C cable. I brought the cable separately from them also 😂. But I was swimming in TC at the time- so I didn’t mind.

My trade in was all messed up. First guy said no PS4 Pro trade in because I Initialized it and only XBOX One S since he thought that would work. They when he opened pristine XBOX One S he asked even if I used it which I have but mostly for moving watching lol. Then he tested controller and also tried system but due to no wi-fi for them in store he couldn't since I reset it. He then switched and said XBOX One S no tradein now and only PS4 Pro. He processed my PS4 Pro without even checking all was in it. I had packaged it in original boxes. He also took my two PS4 DS4 controllers with bad left stick drift without even checking them. So I got $405 being pro member but now still have XBOX One S. Not sure he knew what he was doing. LOL! I think it was just late and he didn't want to make me too mad so just accepted my PS4 Pro to not make me irate. lol ! He did say one of them can't be factory reset to be tested properly and thought it was PS4 but then when XBOX S didn't test wihtout internet startup he switched. lol. He was adamant that the promo would continue until tomorrow but I told him that it was ending tonight. I got there are 8:20 PM. Moral of story don't go there too late if you want to get all your trade in credits. lol! His reasoning for taking the PS4 Pro and not the S dosen't jive. Oh well.

This is definitely true. It's nowhere on the site to my knowledge. I could buy up some consoles and controllers on offer up or FB marketplace and easily get over $1000 in trade credit if I wanted but not going to. All I did was trade in my PS4 Pro with some games and 2 joy con and bought a One S all digital for $120 and traded that in. I see some One X going for $200-$220 but I just don't want to keep buying and then going to GS etc. All I really want in the future is a PSVR2 but someone could certainly go crazy and I am sure many already have.
Bought a used Xbone x with a few games from a local seller for 200 and traded it in for a cool 150 profit. Feels good, man.
I bought 11 :360: controllers & 2 :xb1: controllers for $60. Also got 3 :ps4: controllers, CoD Modern Warfare :ps4:, and CoD Black Ops II :ps3: for $50. So essentially turned $110 into slightly over $300. Got hit with refurb fees on all the :ps4: and :xb1: controllers, for one reason or another (either because drift or rubber coming off the thumbsticks). They couldn't check the :360: controllers so I got the full TIV for those.

After seeing the condition all the :360: , :xb1:, and :ps4: controllers were in that I bought, no way I would buy a used console locally. Too much of a risk, unless the console was <$100 out of pocket.

Was able to get the $260 for the trade in of my launch day switch.

Both the employees were impressed as it looked brand new with box and all bags as I repackaged the way it was when I opened it 4 1/2 years ago.

Good deal as did not want to deal with eBay.
If they were smart, and it was a hackable switch I would have bought it on the spot there for $280 or whatever the asking price is at GS.

Here's something interesting... One-Punch Man is on sale for the PS4 for $9.99 and gets a base TIV of $9. Do with that what you will...

MX vs ATV All Out :Xb1: is $4.99 at Best Buy and has base $8 TIV at GS currently. May be good trade fodder IF there is another +$5 trade promo down the road.

based on what ive seen and have traded in im never buying a used controller or console from gamestop unless its a 3ds or vita

Cyberpunk is on sale for $10 at Target. It can be price matched and would be a good boomerang trade if the 50% extra credit is still active today.

based on what ive seen and have traded in im never buying a used controller or console from gamestop unless its a 3ds or vita
I once traded in a Vita that had a damaged gyro sensor. They didnt test that part.

Most people trading in are regular customers just upgrading. The people on this thread are not most people. If we were, GameStop would've gone under years ago. I just wouldn't buy a used console because it's rarely much cheaper than a brand new one

Surely they fully test and repair/throw away broken controllers before they sell them to people... right guys? Right???

Cyberpunk is on sale for $10 at Target. It can be price matched and would be a good boomerang trade if the 50% extra credit is still active today.
Fallout 76 on PS4 is also $10, which is a terrible price, but Gamestop is stlil paying $13.20 for it ($19.20 if you get the 50% promo).

My local Targets also had Watchdogs Legion on PS4/PS5/Xbox One for $20, which trade for $27.20 with the 50% bump also. Not a huge flip but I took advantage of it because I needed more titles to hit the 5 game requirement for some trades. Heck, you can just get Watchdogs x3 + Fallout + Cyberpunk and you have a trade right there, lol. If the promo is still going on, that is.

Ended up with $1300 in trade in credit yesterday, traded in my Switch, ps4 pro and xbox one x plus a bunch of extra controllers lol. Note they can't put more than $1k on trade in card. I got $200 dollar in steam gift cards to save up for the Steam Deck and got far cry 6 ultimate to bring it under $1k. They said I return the game back today, and get the credit back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back