The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

[quote name='Only One Haze']Pretty sure its tied to your name and not the console. Once you download your profile the 3 months should still be there.[/QUOTE]

So if i transfer my profile to new xbox with USB, i should be fine right?

I could use some advice on getting a new HDD. I know there's been a bit of HDD discussion already on this page, but I'm wondering about what to get my son for Christmas. He inherited my old 20GB original 360 for his room when I upgraded to a 250GB Slim a while back. His is filled and he wants more space. I always thought non-MS branded stuff wouldn't work, but lots of customer reviews on Amazon make it sound like they do. I'd trust opinions here more than there, though.

Any particular off-brands known to be more or less reliable than others? Anything else I should know? Thanks for any help.

You can get banned in some way, whether that be your console or your account, for non-MS hard drives I've heard, not sure though.

From what I understand there is no banning for 3rd party HDDs, but you will not be able to play Xbox Original (meaning, the original Xbox) games if you have a 3rd party HDD. If this isn't an issue for you then it's not a bad way to go.

I have a hard drive question. I have several slim hard drives and one is full. Can I swap hard dives to store stuff and still be ale to play offline. Ie I know licenses are tied to one console but can that console have multiple hard drives and maintain licenses on each one? Now if you play an another console with your hard drive to sign into live to access content.

I tried putting our main Xbox 360 upright. Yesterday I finally played a game in it and it sounds absolutely horrible when the disc is spinning. Brrwwrrrrr! I was scared it was going to tear the disc apart. Perhaps not, but it was sooo loud. Rearranged things and put the Xbox horizontal again and that fixed it. I'm curious if anyone else has noticed the same thing?

I see some 250GB slim hard drives on ebay for cheap. Are those any good? I assuming they are 3rd party hard drives. I want one for my 4gb slim 360. Thanks.

Well, you can't be sure what brand/model of drive is in them, but otherwise they should be fine. They will not work with Xbox Original games, without modification. Alternatively you could buy an internal 250 GB drive and a knockoff case for it, and make it yourself. The snap together cases are easy and work fine.

[quote name='crunchewy']Well, you can't be sure what brand/model of drive is in them, but otherwise they should be fine. They will not work with Xbox Original games, without modification. Alternatively you could buy an internal 250 GB drive and a knockoff case for it, and make it yourself. The snap together cases are easy and work fine.[/QUOTE]

so it doesnt get me banned if i do that?

[quote name='trunks982']I see some 250GB slim hard drives on ebay for cheap. Are those any good? I assuming they are 3rd party hard drives. I want one for my 4gb slim 360. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Just go for a 320GB. Watch eBay listings and be patient.

I just got a genuine Microsoft one (the one that comes with a downloadable Lego Star Wars 3 game) bnew and sealed on eBay for $75 shipped. Just a few bucks more from those generic China drives.

If i do the license transfer, I can download games on both systems or is it on the newer system? i want it to be downloaded and played on both systems since they are going to be in 2 different rooms.

[quote name='crunchewy']I highly recommend going with Eneloop AA batteries and a charger. They are the way to go. Get an extra set of batteries so you can have some charged and ready to go when the ones in your controller run out. Or four extra batteries if you have more than one controller. You don't really need more than that as it's unlikely you'd run out of power on more than 2 controllers at once.

Eneloop batteries are much better than standard NiMH batteries. They hold their charge for a long time even when not in use and not being charged.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%.:applause:

Eneloop batteries rock. Skip the Duracells. Energizers are okay. I have ordered several packs of the Eneloops (we have a 5-year-old who has lots of toys that require the AA's, also), and have always been happy with them.

Get a LaCrosse Technologies charger. It has different modes for charging (lower amps means longer charge times, but makes your batteries last longer).

http://www.amazon.com/La-Crosse-Tec...osse+technology+bc-1000+alpha+battery+charger

Also, the charger should have adapters that allow you to transform your AA batteries into C or D-size batteries.

Those quick-charge kits are horrible for your batteries, and will severly limit the amount of times you can recharge them.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread but, when will Greed Corp go on sale?! Has anyone ever seen this game on sale, I really liked the demo. I want to pick up the game but it's def a $5 game. This thing is still $10 and xbox.com says it was released back in 2/24/10.

Found out Walmart carries 32gb Sandisk Cruzer Glide flash drives for $19.xx

Before I open this thing, does anyone know if they work with the 360?
(reading and writing, not worried about disassembling to fit slot)

sandisk_zps6def524d.jpg

Thanks.

I don't know for certain, but generally speaking Sandisk flash drives tend to be good quality, so I'd think it was a good bet. Can you return it if unsatisfied with it? I know Target will pretty much take anything back, but I'm not sure about Walmart.

I asked and was told that they won't take it back opened, but I had 15 days to return it if it doesn't work.:whistle2:s
Think the latter part was the employee telling me how to get around the return policy.

Thats kinda why I wanted to check here first to see if the drive works before going back to deal with CS.

edit;
Opened it.
Write time is a little slow (+25 minutes to install 5.7gb game) but it has no problem playing games.

Not a fan of Halo, so I had to buy it for my nephew so that he could play Halo 4 on his Xbox (and not mine :lol: )

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shieryda']
Those quick-charge kits are horrible for your batteries, and will severly limit the amount of times you can recharge them.[/QUOTE]
Is it the actual play n charge kit that is the problem or the batteries MS supplies?

i dont know where to post this but this seems to be the place to ask. i have a few 360's that have the same problem. i put a game in and it either says no disc or open tray does the lens need cleaned or replaced?

[quote name='mojo_12345']i dont know where to post this but this seems to be the place to ask. i have a few 360's that have the same problem. i put a game in and it either says no disc or open tray does the lens need cleaned or replaced?[/QUOTE]

Most likely replaced. I've had two 360s that have done that. Luckily, they were still under warranty at the time.

Was wondering if anyone had any advice when buying a new HDD.

I have a phat 360 with a 20GB HDD, and I need more space. I already have stuff I can't fit. I'm thinking of either buying a refurb from GS because I have credit, or a 3rd party one from Amazon. Wanting either a 120GB or 250GB HDD.

Help?

My 360 controller keeps disconnecting every time I die in Duke Nukem or have my turn during a Carcassone match. Anyone know anyway to fix it?

[quote name='macontosh2000']Last night my dogs ate the the power cord for my 360 Fat, whats the best/easiest/cheapest way of getting it replaced.[/QUOTE]

Stick your hand down the dogs throat and pull

[quote name='J7.']My 360 controller keeps disconnecting every time I die in Duke Nukem or have my turn during a Carcassone match. Anyone know anyway to fix it?[/QUOTE]

I'm betting it's something to do with the rumble function, try turning it off.

[quote name='stoned99']I'm betting it's something to do with the rumble function, try turning it off.[/QUOTE]

Ok, thanks I'll try that.

[quote name='macontosh2000']Last night my dogs ate the the power cord for my 360 Fat, whats the best/easiest/cheapest way of getting it replaced.[/QUOTE]

You could probably get a knock off for real cheap on Ebay. I don't think cables matter much so I'm not sure you would need an official cable.

Was there another round of Xbox accounts getting hacked? I noticed all of my points disappeared again (I only had 1600 points though) after turning on my 360 after like a really long time. I was hacked during that major hacking thing but MS sent me a card for 1600 points which I was able to redeem back then.

I'm trying to figure out if I was robbed again or if my points expired. My transaction history doesn't show anything since getting the ME3 extended cut (which was the last time I used it, I think).

EDIT* Nevermind... I was able to log in Xbox and saw that my points expired in Feb 2013. Thanks MS.:roll:

When i go to the register, repair, service your xbox online page (online service center) i noticed that my option to buy a warranty extension online is gone. For whatever reason it used to show up on my Gears Xbox, but not my white pro model. But now neither of them show the option. Both are still under the warranty though. So has MS stopped offering warranty extensions?

I sold off my launch 360 unit a few years back, and I am only now getting back into console gaming.  There is a ton I want to catch up on, so I'm overwhelmed by all of the iterations of 360s, chipsets, etc, that are out there.  Which should I purchase...for reliability and in respect to cost?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Don't care for Kinect, but looking for a good gaming unit that will hold up.  Thanks for your help.

Thanks fellas.  So as long as I get a slim, I don't need to look into chipset or any other configuration.  And slim would be the S model, right?

Thanks fellas. So as long as I get a slim, I don't need to look into chipset or any other configuration. And slim would be the S model, right?
There were two chipsets for the slim, Trinity being the first and Corona being the one that is still being used in the 360E.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_specifications

I had a "launch"/Trinity Slim for about two years before I sold it and never had a single problem with it, and I currently have a R2D2 Slim (Corona) that I bought used and has been trouble-free as well. AFAIK, both chipsets are far more reliable than all of the fat 360 options.

Well over the weekend the 320GB hard drive in my slim (Star Wars Kinect console) died. Of course calling MS their solution is $130 for a new hard drive. I see that GS sells refurbished hard drives for $99 for the 250GB and $119.99 for the 320GB. That had me wondering Gamestop has to get these hard drives they refurbish from somewhere. So if I were to trade in my dead hard drive to them do they test them (like a console) before they take them?

How reliable are flash drives for extra HDD space and how nice to do they work with the 360? With Arkham Knight being next-gen exclusive I will be getting a One in October so my 360's days are numbered so that's why I'm ditching my original plan of replacing my entire 60 HDD. I had plenty of space until GTA V and its mandatory install disc took most of my space. There's a few games with due DLC coming out as well as a few digital-only games I want to get in the coming months so I'm going to need more than what's on my current HDD (200mb). Would a basic flash drive you could get at Wal-Mart for like 8 bucks be sufficient or could there be issues?

I had to use a flash drive the last month before I got a new hard drive. No issues at all. If its a brand new flash drive as soon as you plug it into your console it will just take a minute to format it and download any necessary system update then you're good to go

I had to use a flash drive the last month before I got a new hard drive. No issues at all. If its a brand new flash drive as soon as you plug it into your console it will just take a minute to format it and download any necessary system update then you're good to go
Okay, thanks.

Another question about using flashes...can you copy/paste 360 data from one to another flash like can I boot up one on my computer, cut it, take out that flash and put in another and then paste that or is that not recommended? The one I've been using so far I forgot was a smaller size one than what I had thought before and I do not want multiple flash drives with different saves/DLC/etc laying around and want everything on one. It just sounds sketchy tossing around data like that so I wanted to check here before I end up screwing something up or corrupting data or something.

[quote name="overduedub" post="11624604" timestamp="1395266898"]Does anyone know if you have to have a paid subscription to watch vudu on Xbox 360? Thank you.[/quote]

All those streaming apps require Gold on 360/X1. If you have a PS3 or PS4, you don't need a paid sub there.

So I have a 360 phat model and the 120GB hard drive is nearly full.  I'm thinking about upgrading to the 320GB hard drive.  I have a transfer cable, the first one that was released. 

There's a 320GB hard drive that I saw on Amazon for the phat model for about $60.  I know there wasn't an official 320GB hard drive released for my model of 360.

Would I run into any problems transferring my data to a non-official 360 hard drive?  Thanks ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name="anotherpoorgamer" post="11912886" timestamp="1405085221"]So I have a 360 phat model and the 120GB hard drive is nearly full. I'm thinking about upgrading to the 320GB hard drive. I have a transfer cable, the first one that was released.

There's a 320GB hard drive that I saw on Amazon for the phat model for about $60. I know there wasn't an official 320GB hard drive released for my model of 360.

Would I run into any problems transferring my data to a non-official 360 hard drive? Thanks ahead.[/quote]
From what I have read you will lose backwards compatibility. Don't know if there are any other issues. Maybe somebody who has experience will reply.

From what I have read you will lose backwards compatibility. Don't know if there are any other issues. Maybe somebody who has experience will reply.
Interesting, I never really used my 360 for the original Xbox games.

I still have my original Xbox. I kind of like the option still, to be able to play my original Xbox games on my 360.

Maybe I'll just buy a cheap 4GB model and slap a 20GB hard drive in it. In order to play the original Xbox games on a 360.

bread's done
Back