The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

So I was in my car ready to head to the next closest BB from my house (about 8 miles). I dropped my daughter off at a slumber party and was gonna head in to trade my last DBZ 3 and Bust-A-Move. Then as I got to the highway I just lost all motivation to go up there. For one thing, this is the store where I had some trouble before with Beowulf so I thought maybe I'd be better off getting a Gamecrazy price match. So, OK, that is the other direction. But then I didn't have the receipts with me so it meant convincing them of the prices for those games during a busy Friday evening... So I said screw it and went home :lol:.

Anyway, I'll stop by GC tomorrow when we need to head up that direction for other stuff. I dunno, I just sort of had a bad feeling about heading up to the BB to trade stuff - maybe it was for the best. I kind of had that feeling when I traded one too many sets of Beowulf and it caused all sorts of trouble.

So, anyway, I realize this is a post about nothing but I'm wondering if anyone else has ever gotten in the car to go trading/purchasing/flipping/whatever and then a few blocks away just said "screw it" and went back home? :lol:

(And after seeing JohnLa101's post there I think it would be best to go to GC and skip BB for these last two games!)

[quote name='nbayus']Put down $25 for a 360 Rock Band 2 SE today. Found out from the cashier that I'm the first at their store to enter. I didn't believe him, but he had to run into the back to get the code to punch into the computer :whistle2:k. He's keeping at the front counter now to automatically enter qualifying purchases, but apparently no one else has asked before.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure there's no code as all the signage says you are "automatically entered". It better not require a code! I'm going to ask the manager next time I'm there if she has a way of seeing if I'm entered though.

A question, though - does it say anything on your receipt about being entered, because mine don't say anything besides all the usual stuff.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:razz: Some of us are only doing this recreationally and we're not always buying the games from GS. I know I could probably get the $2 Edge card that Monkeydeew found the loophole to get(either the pdf linked in the thread or a magazine subscription card from an older issue of Game Informer has an option at the bottom for a $2 Edge card), but since I only go for the 100% + profit games to flip, I wouldn't be using it THAT often.[/quote]
Agreed, prices should be shown before Edge discount. If I could get that card easily for $2 then I would be all over it, but it's not worth it at $10 and I don't like giving my money to GS out of principle anyway.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Agreed, prices should be shown before Edge discount. If I could get that card easily for $2 then I would be all over it, but it's not worth it at $10 and I don't like giving my money to GS out of principle anyway.[/QUOTE]

Sigh.. All the prices for GS purchases in the second post are shown before Edge discount. But the trade-ins from BB to GS are so minimal that it really isn't worth it without the Edge bump so I included it on those few listings. Even if you don't think it is worth getting an Edge card, you are all smart enough to figure out what you'd get without it. And if you aren't, well, then I don't particularly care to help you ;).

[quote name='Poor2More']Got back from Blockbuster....

Sega Superstar Tennis PS3 -->$ 20 TIV
Blacksite --> $30 TIV
Battlefield: Bad Company 360 --> $36 TIV

Blockbuster is getting the Pokemon DS, tommorow they believe, Im going to buy one and sell it[/quote]

hmm not bad 25% off coupon off PS3 this month

Your little story reminds me IO, are there ever any opportunities to transfer credit from BB->GC? They just converted a Hollywood video here to what they're calling a "One Stop" location where they're now selling games and other stuff. It's not quite a GC, but I'm pretty sure they'll be having all the same pre-order bonuses and deals.

[quote name='io']Sigh.. All the prices for GS purchases in the second post are shown before Edge discount. But the trade-ins from BB to GS are so minimal that it really isn't worth it without the Edge bump so I included it on those few listings. Even if you don't think it is worth getting an Edge card, you are all smart enough to figure out what you'd get without it. And if you aren't, well, then I don't particularly care to help you ;).[/quote]
I didn't realize that you were just talking about trading back in to GS.

[quote name='bornrunnin31']Your little story reminds me IO, are there ever any opportunities to transfer credit from BB->GC? They just converted a Hollywood video here to what they're calling a "One Stop" location where they're now selling games and other stuff. It's not quite a GC, but I'm pretty sure they'll be having all the same pre-order bonuses and deals.[/quote]

You mean GameZone, right? They're making one of the HWV stores here into one of those, if the friggin' fly by night contractor they hired ever shows up to do the work to convert it. It's going to be 50% HWV/50% Gamezone. Although, I already had them look up a few TIV's for the few current gen games I have and BBV still beats them.

Though I was told at both BBV and the HWV that's being converted that if I can bring in a printed up price quote for a game, they'll match it.

[quote name='io']I'm pretty sure there's no code as all the signage says you are "automatically entered". It better not require a code! I'm going to ask the manager next time I'm there if she has a way of seeing if I'm entered though.

A question, though - does it say anything on your receipt about being entered, because mine don't say anything besides all the usual stuff.[/quote]

Nothing showed up on either of the receipts that he gave me (one for the preorder transaction, the other for the remaining gift card balance). Here's the complete rundown of what happened for those who care.

I walked in asking if I can preorder Rock Band 2, knowing full well that I can. Employee says that I can, as they just got an email with the updated products in their system. He proceeds to wave around a sheet of paper which I assume is the actual list. He starts punching things in and remarks that it isn't working. He calls over his manager to help him through the process, manager gets everything in order.

He asks how much I want to put down, and I tell him that I'd like to put it down in $25 increments to maximize my chances in the Wii contest. At this point, he tells me to hang on for a second and runs to the back room. While doing that, he tells the other employee to not complete the transaction. We wait around for a couple of seconds, he comes back with a sheet of paper. He punches somethings into the computer, and then waits a bit. He then tells me..."Ok, you're the first and only person who's entered here so far."

He then tells the other employee that he's going to leave the sheet next to the register and that the employee is to register anyone who spends more than $25.

Interpret it as you will. I'm only reporting what happened to me to the best ability that my memory allows. I'm planning on putting down another $25 tomorrow, so I'll update the situation accordingly.

If that's the case, I may go and cancel my PO for Mercs 2 tomorrow, then re-do it and get an entry. But, when the hell does the contest END anyway, so I at least know what kind of competition for the contest I have.

The code that they typed in on your transaction, nbayus, was actually for tracking purposes, not for entry purposes. They sent out a barcode to each store that when scanned will allow the stores and district managers to track how many entries they have. However, it doesn't actually do anything besides show up on one of the daily reports that says "Number of times scanned = x." So, if you scanned it, but only spent $10, you wouldn't get entered. And, if you didn't scan it, but spent $28, you are still entered.

Long story short... that barcode means nothing for anybody that's not a BBV store manager or higher.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If that's the case, I may go and cancel my PO for Mercs 2 tomorrow, then re-do it and get an entry. But, when the hell does the contest END anyway, so I at least know what kind of competition for the contest I have.[/quote]

Contest ends 9/8. All the rules, etc. are on the BB website btw.

http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If that's the case, I may go and cancel my PO for Mercs 2 tomorrow, then re-do it and get an entry. But, when the hell does the contest END anyway, so I at least know what kind of competition for the contest I have.[/quote]

Beginning of October, I believe.

edit: nm. thank you mkernan

"Every time you spend $25 you are automatically entered." At the store near my house this would mean hundreds of entries a day, as I see them selling used/new video games and DVDs all day long with an average sale price of over $25 per transaction. At another store down the road, they would have much fewer entries as they are mainly a rental store and don't have a lot of stuff to sell (and how many people rent $25 worth of movies at a time?)

[quote name='Warner1281']The code that they typed in on your transaction, nbayus, was actually for tracking purposes, not for entry purposes. They sent out a barcode to each store that when scanned will allow the stores and district managers to track how many entries they have. However, it doesn't actually do anything besides show up on one of the daily reports that says "Number of times scanned = x." So, if you scanned it, but only spent $10, you wouldn't get entered. And, if you didn't scan it, but spent $28, you are still entered.

Long story short... that barcode means nothing for anybody that's not a BBV store manager or higher.[/quote]

Makes sense to me. Follow-up to make sure I understand: His claim that I was the first to enter would be accurate because this is showing the total number of entries for the store, and not the total number of entries in my name.

[quote name='mkernan']Contest ends 9/8. All the rules, etc. are on the BB website btw.

http://www.blockbuster.com/stores[/quote]

The official rules page(which can be reached by clicking the little blue link in that micro sized writing on the page you linked to) says the drawing will be held on 10/08/08. So basically, they're going to wait a MONTH to do the drawing, but end the contest in like 2 weeks or so? Weird.

From the rules website page:

2. DRAWING: The potential Store's winners will be selected from among all eligible automatic entries received in the Store and all qualifying mail-in entries with the Store's number written on the outside of the envelope received by the Judging Agency. Winners will be selected in a random drawing to be conducted under the direct supervision of the Judging Agency on or about 10/8/08

Just wondering if anyone had found anything worthwhile recently to go from BBV to GS.... and if those few PS2 games on the first post were still valid trades.

Havent posted in here in awhile since Ive been so busy. Things have quieted down a lot it seems.

[quote name='yukafls']Yeah, are there any good BBV-->GS trades???[/quote]
No and there won't be until we get a deal at BB and a trade in deal at GS! Well, you can, but I'm going to assume that being on this site since 2006 you would know to read the front page, especially since people have told you that since you started posting in this thread.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Agreed, prices should be shown before Edge discount. If I could get that card easily for $2 then I would be all over it, but it's not worth it at $10 and I don't like giving my money to GS out of principle anyway.[/quote]

IO's thread IO's rules!!!! IO does a great job keeping up this thread so Deal with it!

[quote name='vanilla_shakin_it']No and there won't be until we get a deal at BB and a trade in deal at GS! Well, you can, but I'm going to assume that being on this site since 2006 you would know to read the front page, especially since people have told you that since you started posting in this thread.[/quote]

Ah I keep forgetting that, again, I am new to flipping.

Anybody know if the rumored labor day weekend B1g1 is actually going to happen at BBV? It would give us an overlap with the Gamestop 10/20/30 promotion for Friday, Saturday, & Sunday.....

[quote name='JohnLa101']Well, it looks like my flipping days are over for now. Just tried to flip Blacksite and was told by the manager that I've hit my trade limit. I didn't even know I had one, and this was one of the stores I rarely go to. I was pretty careful too since I have like 5 BBV within a 5 mile radius of myself, and never traded in multiple copies of the same game to a store, but I guess not careful enough (no more than 4 or 5 games at most each store). The manager said she got a list from the DM without any explanations or reasons. Oh well, good while it lasted. Good luck to everybody and try not to be too over zealous cause they do keep tabs.[/quote]

I wonder why you got on the list...making me nervous now. Couldn't you have your spouse/significant other have a trading account, even if it's the same address??

Does anyone know if they track by address? I guess I could have husband go in and trade, but is that pointless if we have the same address?? I haven't flipped more than 2 copies of each game...so hopefully I'm under the radar, but you never know.

[quote name='cutiepatootie']I wonder why you got on the list...making me nervous now. Couldn't you have your spouse/significant other have a trading account, even if it's the same address??

Does anyone know if they track by address? I guess I could have husband go in and trade, but is that pointless if we have the same address?? I haven't flipped more than 2 copies of each game...so hopefully I'm under the radar, but you never know.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand how they can ban someone who isn't breaking any rules? I've trade in two copies of the same game several times, but noone has ever given me crap about it. That sucks.

[quote name='DaDeuce']Anybody know if the rumored labor day weekend B1g1 is actually going to happen at BBV? It would give us an overlap with the Gamestop 10/20/30 promotion for Friday, Saturday, & Sunday.....[/QUOTE]

Man I hope so, as I've got the most BB credit I've ever had, and would love to snowball it. Thing is my BB isn't brimming with as much software as it was before the last B1G1 sale.

1) Not likely that there will be a B1G1 at BBV, but I'm nowhere near work, so I can't print up the paperwork to confirm or deny this.

2) Stop worrying about what does and doesn't qualify for an entry. So long as you had to pay $25 (regardless of payment method), you received an entry at that store.

3) To whoever wondered how JohnLA got on the ban list... most likely the DM saw several of the same games traded in at different stores, asked all stores in his district to print up the list of trades in the last "x" amount of time, then made a list of anyone who traded in more than 2 of any one game over that entire period of time, regardless of whether it was at the same store or different stores.

[quote name='Warner1281']3) To whoever wondered how JohnLA got on the ban list... most likely the DM saw several of the same games traded in at different stores, asked all stores in his district to print up the list of trades in the last "x" amount of time, then made a list of anyone who traded in more than 2 of any one game over that entire period of time, regardless of whether it was at the same store or different stores.[/quote]

I've always been curious just how big a BBV district is. I'm sure it varies depending on state/region/number of stores/population density, etc., but how big is your district Warner? Is it a county, several counties, etc.?

[quote name='salty tbone']I've always been curious just how big a BBV district is. I'm sure it varies depending on state/region/number of stores/population density, etc., but how big is your district Warner? Is it a county, several counties, etc.?[/quote]

Like you said, it depends on the density of BBV's in your area. In general, a district is made up of about 15 stores. So in a major metropolitan area, you might have 2-3 different districts. Whereas, in the middle of bumfuk nowhere, the district might encompass half a state. In my city, I believe we have 2 districts.

[quote name='Warner1281']1) Not likely that there will be a B1G1 at BBV, but I'm nowhere near work, so I can't print up the paperwork to confirm or deny this.

2) Stop worrying about what does and doesn't qualify for an entry. So long as you had to pay $25 (regardless of payment method), you received an entry at that store.

3) To whoever wondered how JohnLA got on the ban list... most likely the DM saw several of the same games traded in at different stores, asked all stores in his district to print up the list of trades in the last "x" amount of time, then made a list of anyone who traded in more than 2 of any one game over that entire period of time, regardless of whether it was at the same store or different stores.[/quote]

Oh, crap, I just nabbed Mario Kart Wii with flipped credit today and I forgot to ask about the contest, and they didn't say anything about it either. Am I automatically entered regardless?

Io, for the OP, I can confirm that EoJ is still $33.

All i got was a bunch of "we usually do something around then" when I asked about a B1G1 for next weekend. I wouldn't get my hopes up, but if it does happen, i'd be more than welcoming for it. I hope it does happen cause i'd love to move some of my credit back to GS. It sucks having only about 7 titles that I can move over to break even.

what is trading in good right now? I was trying to find some trades and I didn't see anyone posting anything. I see that BBV may have a B1G1 next weekend. Anything right now to buy and trade? Thanks

Ps3 Rockband game only still gets $30. Also Beowulf gets $11 and is $6.50 after coupon and edge.

None of these ps3 ones are any good.
turok $16
nfs pro street $16
soldier of fortune payback $16
timeshift $13

Last edited by a moderator:
I just traded in one DBZ 3(wii) and got $26, I have to go back to GS and get the other cause BBV won't take the DBZ 3 with the bonus disc in it.

Today's trade in:
Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkai: 26
Bad Company Xbox 360: 35
Medievil Ressurrection PSP: 1.50
Def Jam Icon PS3: 11
Rockband PS3 Game Only: 30
Warhawk: 23

preordered Guitar Hero World Tour bundle PS3

Does anyone know the SKU to pre-order Guitar Hero: World Tour? My store told me they couldn't find it. I would prefer the bundle with the Guitar only. Thanks for any help. Oh here are a few TIVs also.

Xbox 360 Kung Fu Panda $28.50
Xbox 360 The Incredible Hulk $35.00

^ Ya, it was that price at mine to. It's funny how GTA4 sells for only $10 more than Gears gets in trade credit.

Traded in WSOP for $23. I now have $75 on my value card, $35 on my account, & I still have 2 DBZs. I would buy Too Human but I hear it sucks.

[quote name='yukafls']I just traded in one DBZ 3(wii) and got $26, I have to go back to GS and get the other cause BBV won't take the DBZ 3 with the bonus disc in it.[/quote]

That just means someone at your store may be too fuckin' lazy to look up the right UPC for it, since they took in my bonus disc version with no problem whatsoever.

I hope some more decent values for PS3 show up and I hope the values hold for some of the better ones now, since I plan on picking up some of the better PS3 flips with the 25% off coupon on Monday possibly.

[quote name='UnrealZero']Went to blockbuster today gta4 was on sale used.
Xbox 360 Gta 4 34.99$
Ps3 Gta 4 34.99[/QUOTE]

Nice to see GTA4 droppin. I may have to bite at this price. Was hoping for $30 or less but this may do on a slow weekend. Nice to see a confirmation.

I have read another thread on here about connecting to xbox live using many ways. I have tried the method of using my laptops default gateway, ip address, dns settings. I also have tried using the MAC address that was assigned to my laptop and it fails to recognize it. I have heard there is some way to do something with a router and I happen to have a router to use so if anyone could help that would be awesome.

The way I do it is:
Connect to your internet on the PC
Make the connection to share
Then I plug an Ethernet cable to my PS3/Xbox 360 to the PC that is connected to the Internet and then It works.

Eh i got a laptop they gave me because i dont have the luxury of having my own and it only has one ethernet port so how would that work?

Sorry Gwen, moved it back. I doesn't make sense to have it anywhere else besides the X360 forums...it already gets a lot of hits and its easy access for anyone reading the X360 forums...it would just get lost on the General Gaming forum.

bread's done
Back