The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

My console just red-ringed. First time it has happened to me, and I have had this console for two years. So pissed off right now. Just made a blog post about it.

*sigh*

[quote name='io']
So a few days ago I just bought Rock Band using the GS 25% off coupon for $29.xx. Apparently you can just transfer the tracks to your HD for 400 MS points right there from the menu? I had no idea till I saw that somewhere today (and I even asked in the Rock Band 2 thread about it and didn't get a straight answer). I thought you had to wait till you had the new game, and then you could do that - so I was gonna rent it, transfer, trade in the old one (hoping its value held), then buy the new one. Then I'll just buy a set of the new drums from either BB or GS (all I have right now for peripherals is a GH III guitar). [/quote]

I bought Rock Band last week with the coupon too. I only have the GH3 guitar. I was thinking of grabbing the Rock Band drums now that they are only $49.99 but do you think the Rock Band 2 drum set is worth it at $89.99
$40 in cheap credit is still $40 more.

these are the only drums i be buyin for rock band 2/guitar hero on tour

8150-rockband2iondrums.jpg

also people transferring songs to their hard drive from Rock Band be warned...Metallica's Enter Sandman, Black Sabbath's Paranoid, Iron Maiden's Run to the Hills, and Monsoon (can't remember who this is by) will NOT be transferred to your HD..don't know why but i am hoping they will be downloadable tracks in the near future.

So does anyone know where I could find a high capacity hard drive for the 360 cheap :_D

[quote name='animemaniac14']how do you transfer the rock band 1 tracks to the HD? o_O[/quote]

I've already xferred the songs - it only takes up about 1.25 GB of space on your HDD, and you can delete individual songs once the process is done.

First, load up Rock Band on the 360, it'll auto-update, then head to the main menu once it's back up. Click on Options --> Export Songs. From there, you purchase a License to export the songs to the Hard Drive for 400 MS points ($5) and once you confirm the download, it takes roughly 10 minutes to xfer it all!

Also, on the subject of instruments, a lot of people I know are buying Rock Band 2 Game Only and pre-ordering the GH: World Tour bundle; the instruments are sturdier, cross-compatible, and based on personal opinions the guitars feel more realistic.

For the rock band experts:

on the new game do you know if the song transfer will be possible going backwards?

Meaning if I buy the new one can I save the songs to the hard drive and play them in the original game also? I know it is not out yet but wondering if you had heard about it or not.

This is the first I had heard of the feature at all and I was planning to get the new one for my wife's birthday but she would be happier with this option.

[quote name='hukt']For the rock band experts:

on the new game do you know if the song transfer will be possible going backwards?

Meaning if I buy the new one can I save the songs to the hard drive and play them in the original game also? I know it is not out yet but wondering if you had heard about it or not.

This is the first I had heard of the feature at all and I was planning to get the new one for my wife's birthday but she would be happier with this option.[/QUOTE]

Don't know for sure, but I think that's highly unlikely. The whole point of the transfer is to encourage people to move forward to the new version with its new features. Also, they know you can rent the old disc, pay $5, and get most of the songs for RB2... if they did it in reverse, they'd lose a lot of money on RB2. RB1 is already a write-off at that point, so they don't mind losing money on it.

[quote name='stone1061']How do i convince myself i need a second Xbox 360 20g?
Hmmmm.
Would be easier then packing up the one i got when i take it to work.
$200 cheaper than when my wife bought mine for me.
Hmmm, another wii entry.
I had 3 PS2's at one time, a second xbox isn't excessive.
I don't want to put the credit towards a wii. yet.
In my old age(38) I've bought so much i've regretted, I'm pretty good at talking myself out of buying stuff.[/quote]

I'm also able to game at work and have a home 360 and a work one. It is much easier to have one in a travel bag and ready to go when I head out. Plus, if one gets the RROD, you can still play while you wait for Microsoft to replace the other. It's win/win!

I was thinking of getting a 2nd 360....although, that is just because my current one is in for repairs. I know there are "things" you can do to them....but I doubt I would venture down that road.

I'm curious what kind of job you guys have where you can play 360 though??!?!

[quote name='animemaniac14']does BBV sell 360 hard drives? i've never seen em..but then again i've never really looked for em..[/quote]
BBV might have new ones, it just depends on what accessories they are carrying. Game Rush stores might have used ones?

Do you guys own your own companies where you can game at work?

[quote name='animemaniac14']does BBV sell 360 hard drives? i've never seen em..but then again i've never really looked for em..[/QUOTE]

I'm about 90% sure I've seen them before....Which size, not sure. I believe it was the standard 20GB...but I never look that closely.

Sitting here at work, wondering if anything from that Circuit City Clearance is flippable since this weeks coupon is a bust. :)

[quote name='Hair6a11']Sitting here at work, wondering if anything from that Circuit City Clearance is flippable since this weeks coupon is a bust. :)[/quote]

how about you let people buy cheap games to play

[quote name='DaDeuce']BBV might have new ones, it just depends on what accessories they are carrying. Game Rush stores might have used ones?

Do you guys own your own companies where you can game at work?[/quote]
I work overnight shift loading trucks for Wonder Bread. There's only 3 of us there at night, never any manangement. Summers are busy but Sept-May, we usually have about 4 hours of downtime.
I used to read books, then Gameboy SP, then PSP, then portable DVD player, then laptop, and now I'm onto bringing the Xbox in.
With kids at home, i get more xbox time in at work.
Member of Teamsters Local 701, so they got my back at least the first time any boss may show up. We get two '15 minute breaks' and a half hour lunch, so that covers my ass too.
Some days i can pick up neighbors wireless signal and get on Live, other times just play Civ Rev, or Madden 09(I suck, bring back Joe Montana 2 Sports Talk!)

BBV does sell the 20gb harddrives, I may have seen the 120gb ones at Gamerush, I cant remember.

Some good news, I found out that the "Call district manager before accepting trades" that was on my account at Gamerush is only at that store. I hit up two other stores in the district and they confirmed there were no messages on my account other than an issue I had with EoJ a month or two ago. I am back in business baby.

[quote name='JJSP']So wait, the Rock Band transfer already works? Goodbye, Rock Band disc.[/quote]

Yeah, I exported all of the songs on Thursday. I plan on trading it in today, but I would like to know how much Guitar Hero III trades for. I'm thinking I'll trade in both and only have to pay a small amount on RB2. I'm still unsure if I should preorder or just wait until release.

[quote name='monkeydeew']how about you let people buy cheap games to play [/QUOTE]

Someone tackle the idiot on the soap box.

So I want to bu ya 360. What is the differnece betweeen the 20 gig and 60 gig pro systems other than hard drive size. The 20 gig is $40 cheaper at EB.

[quote name='Jagged Toaster']Anyone know the TIV for Guitar Hero III (360 game only)?[/quote]

TIV is $22.

I traded in just this past Monday seeing as how I hadn't played it since getting Rock Band months ago. Also, my copy of GHIII was the one that came bundled with the guitar so it had a "Not for Resale" on the back instead of a bar code. The guy was nice enough to still take it but just anticipate that they may not, if in fact you have a bundled copy.

[quote name='Jagged Toaster']Yeah, I exported all of the songs on Thursday. I plan on trading it in today, but I would like to know how much Guitar Hero III trades for. I'm thinking I'll trade in both and only have to pay a small amount on RB2. I'm still unsure if I should preorder or just wait until release.[/quote]
Awesome news. Thanks much.

When the Elite's came out, the selling points were HDMI and the 120GB HD.

Currently, both the Pro and Elite (and I believe the Arcade) have HDMI, and the Pro's now have 60GB HD's (unless you find an old Pro with the 20GB).

[quote name='Jest']So I want to bu ya 360. What is the differnece betweeen the 20 gig and 60 gig pro systems other than hard drive size. The 20 gig is $40 cheaper at EB.[/quote]

Have you seen the deal on amazon.com? Buy an elite for 400 and get a free 60 dollar amazon.com gift card HERE

If you planned on getting the pro for 350, and buy a game, better go for this deal instead.

[quote name='DarkRider23']That's great... I quote you about the space chimps and it gives me a "nevermind." :)[/QUOTE]

Sorry... got a bit confused due to there being about 3 or 4 Chimp-based games around. But my original post couldn't have been up for more than two minutes.

As long as I'm here, I'll just mention that I noticed Hail to the Chimp dropped to $18 used at Gamestop... but I don't even know if it's flippable or if it's even been at that price for weeks and I just caught it now. Space Chimps is still $25 and not really worthwhile.

I thought Rock Band 2 came out this week but it looks like it is the week after (at least according to the preorder sheet up at Blockbuster). So I'd like to hold on to my disc (since we just got it) till next weekend. I guess I'll have to call and find out what the sale price is for it used on Sunday but that may be a little tricky (asking for a price on something they don't have). If the sale price drops, well, then, it is time to trade it in obviously. If not, though, I'd like to keep it around till next Sunday for me and my son to play as we've only put a few days into it so far. If anyone else is up early Sunday and wants to check I'd appreciate it ;).

I'm pretty much set on getting the new one and buying the new drums then as well (currently have none). I'll have to ask them if they have the drums coming in at all and, if so, if they are coming when the game does. If not, I'll just get 'em at Gamestop.

So I went to another BB today to pick up a copy of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon to keep. And yet again, I found another store that was sold out of it! WTF? These have all been snapped up around here - and it has all been since the 30% deal at GS ended. I don't know what's going on with that.

[quote name='nietzsche74']
As long as I'm here, I'll just mention that I noticed Hail to the Chimp dropped to $18 used at Gamestop... but I don't even know if it's flippable or if it's even been at that price for weeks and I just caught it now. Space Chimps is still $25 and not really worthwhile.[/quote]

Space Chimps is a 162% return(Wii version) with CAG16 and EDGE card. Not that bad, but it would be a lot better if we could get a 25% off Wii coupon :).

And does anyone know how long it takes gamestop.com to ship games to you? There are no flips at all around me so I ordered some online.

[quote name='io']
I'll have to ask them if they have the drums coming in at all and, if so, if they are coming when the game does. If not, I'll just get 'em at Gamestop.
[/quote]

The only RB2 stuff that's coming out next weekend is the software for 360. New hardware isn't going to be available until Oct. 19th(?). Other platforms aren't going to get their stuff until November. As for me, I'm getting the disk next weekend, and keeping my $25 down on the bundle for the future. I figure I can trade-in the RB2 disk once the bundle comes out and still get a good chunk back. Kind of like an extended rental. I'm holding out on trading in the RB1 disk, but I bet I'll cave at some point this week (no kids for me to worry about) and I'll provide an update on the value for you. Is that what you were asking about in the first part?

[quote name='nbayus']The only RB2 stuff that's coming out next weekend is the software for 360. New hardware isn't going to be available until Oct. 19th(?). Other platforms aren't going to get their stuff until November. As for me, I'm getting the disk next weekend, and keeping my $25 down on the bundle for the future. I figure I can trade-in the RB2 disk once the bundle comes out and still get a good chunk back. Kind of like an extended rental. I'm holding out on trading in the RB1 disk, but I bet I'll cave at some point this week (no kids for me to worry about) and I'll provide an update on the value for you. Is that what you were asking about in the first part?[/QUOTE]

The bundle doesn't come out till October, but the separate instruments for the 360 are on sale the same time as the game on Sept. 14th. At least Gamestop has them listed that way (Wireless RB2 guitar $69.99 on 9/14, Wireless RB2 drums $89.99 on 9/14). Think about it - they are trying to get a little extra juice from people like me who want the new game and drums but not willing to wait the extra month for the bundle ;).

As for the RB1 game trade at BB: we know it will be $32 through Sunday. The question is, will the used sale price drop on Sunday? If so, the trade value will drop Monday so I'd want to unload it Sunday. So knowing the trade value is $32 on Sunday won't mean much - it is knowing what they sell it for then that will be more helpful.

Edit - It is possible Gamestop is wrong on the instrument releases of course. I'm checking around other sites now and Best Buy just says "coming soon" (and has different prices for the guitar and drums). I need to know this before I trade in that RB1 disc! Edit #2 - OK, Circuit City agrees with Gamestop so I'm fairly certain these things are coming out on the 14th ;).

[quote name='mkernan']I'm planning to give away an invite code for the SOCOM Confrontation beta here in the thread. I ended up with an extra and thought I'd share it here since this thread has been such a big help. PM me if you're interested and I'll pick a winner at random later on tonight probably.[/quote]

Hey, I'd be interested in playing the SOCOM Confrontation beta. Let me know. It would be fun to play with a fellow CAG.

[quote name='io']The bundle doesn't come out till October, but the separate instruments for the 360 are on sale the same time as the game on Sept. 14th. At least Gamestop has them listed that way (Wireless RB2 guitar $69.99 on 9/14, Wireless RB2 drums $89.99 on 9/14). Think about it - they are trying to get a little extra juice from people like me who want the new game and drums but not willing to wait the extra month for the bundle ;).

As for the RB1 game trade at BB: we know it will be $32 through Sunday. The question is, will the used sale price drop on Sunday? If so, the trade value will drop Monday so I'd want to unload it Sunday. So knowing the trade value is $32 on Sunday won't mean much - it is knowing what they sell it for then that will be more helpful.

Edit - It is possible Gamestop is wrong on the instrument releases of course. I'm checking around other sites now and Best Buy just says "coming soon" (and has different prices for the guitar and drums). I need to know this before I trade in that RB1 disc! Edit #2 - OK, Circuit City agrees with Gamestop so I'm fairly certain these things are coming out on the 14th ;).[/quote]

I noticed that too.. but doesnt make any sense does it? Why have them come out individually

THEN A MONTH LATER

the bundle comes out? That doesnt.. make any sense -_-V unless its some genius marketing ploy.. but even if it is, its not a very good one.

Actually, the genius marketing ploy would be if they released it game only for the first month with no updated instruments, then a month later, release the $190 version w/ exclusive tracks not available in the game only version.

Dumped some stuff I got off of Goozex & from TRU at a different store than I went to this morning, so it looks like that trade warning message is only at the Gamerush. I'm debating whether I should try out this new 20% off all used games cell phone coupon. Stores seem to have a hard enough time with regular coupons though.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Hey, I'd be interested in playing the SOCOM Confrontation beta. Let me know. It would be fun to play with a fellow CAG.[/quote]

If you're talking about getting a code, I already gave it away last night. If you're talking about simply playing with me.... I don't play online all that often, but look for my PSN name to the left.

[quote name='Bezerker'] I'm debating whether I should try out this new 20% off all used games cell phone coupon.
I used the 20% off coupon. They had to put 3 letters in front of the coupon. EBC then number.

How did the coupons cycle last time? I remember the 25% off for each of the big three but I forgot how long it usually goes between these and what kind of coupons come in between. Just hoping some good GS->BB comes around because I had about $100 at BB and after buying two copies of pokemon mys. dungeon (which I shouldn't have really done) Metal Slug Anthology, virtua fighter 4, and virtua tennis I have about 16 left. I still have little big planet to pay off. Might have to cancel another one for that or just pick it up a few weeks after.

[quote name='vanilla_shakin_it']How did the coupons cycle last time? I remember the 25% off for each of the big three but I forgot how long it usually goes between these and what kind of coupons come in between. Just hoping some good GS->BB comes around because I had about $100 at BB and after buying two copies of pokemon mys. dungeon (which I shouldn't have really done) Metal Slug Anthology, virtua fighter 4, and virtua tennis I have about 16 left. I still have little big planet to pay off. Might have to cancel another one for that or just pick it up a few weeks after.[/quote]

Order both Cabela's games online if you need to. They are still a good 1.6 ratio if you need to pay off LBP.

I just wish I had like $300 in GS credit. I would order shitloads of Cabela's games with that money.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Order both Cabela's games online if you need to. They are still a good 1.6 ratio if you need to pay off LBP.

I just wish I had like $300 in GS credit. I would order shitloads of Cabela's games with that money.[/quote]
Kind of risky. Not sure if it will hold much longer. I'll wait a day or two then order. How fast is shipping? Hoping someone can still answer my coupon question.
Edit: nevermind forgot that I can return it to any GS store.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DarkRider23']Space Chimps is a 162% return(Wii version) with CAG16 and EDGE card. Not that bad, but it would be a lot better if we could get a 25% off Wii coupon :).

And does anyone know how long it takes gamestop.com to ship games to you? There are no flips at all around me so I ordered some online.[/quote]

Good idea on buying it online, I would too but 1) I am worried it will drop TIV 2)I'd worry that it'd come gutted.

If it came gutted, can you go instore and switch it out or something?

[quote name='Quintox']Good idea on buying it online, I would too but 1) I am worried it will drop TIV 2)I'd worry that it'd come gutted.

If it came gutted, can you go instore and switch it out or something?[/QUOTE]

If you mean by "gutted" lacking cover art and\or instructions you probably could by going in there and claiming the game was defective (maybe scuff it up a bit), then just grab a complete box and ask them (rhetorically) if it's alright to take it.:twisted:

I'm just not sure what their return policy is for online purchases, though.

[quote name='nietzsche74']If you mean by "gutted" lacking cover art and\or instructions you probably could by going in there and claiming the game was defective (maybe scuff it up a bit), then just grab a complete box and ask them (rhetorically) if it's alright to take it.:twisted:

I'm just not sure what their return policy is for online purchases, though.[/quote]

You can return the games to any store as long as you have the receipt no questions asked.

I just hope they come with cover art and in boxes. It'll suck if they don't, but what the hell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey folks, I have a bunch of Blockbuster coupons out of the MyCokeRewards deal, and I have a problem: none of my Blockbusters have Gamerushes attached to them. I know that stand-alone Blockbusters actually selling sealed, new games now, but I was wondering if there was a list or details on that or anything?

bread's done
Back