The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

[quote name='Hair6a11']I agree. Thats fucking ridiculous. - im sure theres some more closet kunai'ers out there but for now, he takes the cake[/quote]

I'll scan my receipts later from this past week. I dumped ALOT of multiples at my local BBV, but as I said, they don't mind it.

One guy, when he see me walking up with games in-hand, will wait at the counter with my account already pulled. It's quite comical. He's also a closet flipper.

[quote name='sp00ge']I'll scan my receipts later from this past week. I dumped ALOT of multiples at my local BBV, but as I said, they don't mind it.

One guy, when he see me walking up with games in-hand, will wait at the counter with my account already pulled. It's quite comical. He's also a closet flipper.[/quote]

hahahahaha :applause: that made my day man

[quote name='animemaniac14']so i know this has prob been discussed before...but i just need a yes or no answer (unless someone wants to be kind enough to explain)...can you be banned from GS for trading in too many of the same game (even to different GameStops?) and also...can you trade more than 10 games per day to different gamestops? (cuz i remember hearing about a limit a long time ago)[/quote]

You can be banned for trading in multiples at GS but it's rare. Whenever anyone has been banned, it has been initiated by a store manager. I don't think anyone has been banned directly by corporate. Someone did post that they had been banned by loss prevention because they had a high amount of credit on their Edge card. Most people on here traded many, many copies of certain games to GS (Spiderman 3, Spiderman FoF, GC, etc...) during the "perfect storm". I would guess that I traded about 15 copies of Spiderman 3 during that time.

The most games that I have traded to different GS in one day is 36 games (6 games each at 6 GS). I'm sure some on here have done more than that and yet we are still going. Just don't trade multiples at the same time and you should be ok.

[quote name='animemaniac14']so i know this has prob been discussed before...but i just need a yes or no answer (unless someone wants to be kind enough to explain)...can you be banned from GS for trading in too many of the same game (even to different GameStops?) and also...can you trade more than 10 games per day to different gamestops? (cuz i remember hearing about a limit a long time ago)[/quote]

I think in the past, some dude wouldn't take a particular game because he said I'd already traded too many copies of it, but not sure about being outright banned. Considering their ridiculously lucrative business model, it'd be pretty dumb for them to ban somebody unless they really thought you were a thief.

The 10 games per day thing was in regards to the $10 bonus for two games. It wouldn't apply the bonus above ten games; not sure about the current iteration of the promo though.

I'm off today to see if my new account can be used as a trade account...if so...lookout..I'll see how long it takes to get to 10000 with this one

[quote name='mkernan']I think in the past, some dude wouldn't take a particular game because he said I'd already traded too many copies of it, but not sure about being outright banned. Considering their ridiculously lucrative business model, it'd be pretty dumb for them to ban somebody unless they really thought you were a thief.

The 10 games per day thing was in regards to the $10 bonus for two games. It wouldn't apply the bonus above ten games; not sure about the current iteration of the promo though.[/quote]

[quote name='emg28']You can be banned for trading in multiples at GS but it's rare. Whenever anyone has been banned, it has been initiated by a store manager. I don't think anyone has been banned directly by corporate. Someone did post that they had been banned by loss prevention because they had a high amount of credit on their Edge card. Most people on here traded many, many copies of certain games to GS (Spiderman 3, Spiderman FoF, GC, etc...) during the "perfect storm". I would guess that I traded about 15 copies of Spiderman 3 during that time.

The most games that I have traded to different GS in one day is 36 games (6 games each at 6 GS). I'm sure some on here have done more than that and yet we are still going. Just don't trade multiples at the same time and you should be ok.[/quote]

thanks for the help guys! much appreciated...now i can go on my flipping frenzy with minimal worries :whistle2:D:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

[quote name='Lethal04']did you actually make any money? looks like you got less than $10 profit after tax...[/QUOTE]
You're right man. That's why I didn't trade the games in yet. I'm considering waiting until TRU does the B2G1 next week then return/rebuy there and then trade the games in. That way the games comes out to $5 each. The only problem with that is the values will probably drop at GR by that time! What do you guys think?

All the BBV-->GS on the OP held. Minus: (base+edge) 360 Tomb Raider legend - 3.30 360 skate - 9.90 (so 14.90 after bonus) ps2 golden compass- 3.30. From my phone so sorry.

TIV last week (just getting around to checking receipts):
Mercenaries 2 :360:: $35
Hellboy :360:: $35
Donkey Kong Barrel Blast:wii:: $26
Destroy All Humans! Big Willy Unleashed :wii:: $23
Sea Monsters :wii:: $23
Gears of War :360:: $22 (possible drop?)
Cabela's Trophy Bucks :360:: $19
Star Trek: Conquest :wii:: $16
Cranium Kabookii :wii:: $16

Last edited by a moderator:
i saw last week or maybe 2 weeks ago someone talking about amazon gift cards maybe coming to bbv. anyone hear anything else about them? i would really like to move a couple hundred dollars in bbv credit to amazon gift cards. i don't think any of my bbv have any gift cards except for gift cards for their own store.

Is there anything that i should be worried about with these Arcade versions of the xbox 360? Like cheaper parts, that might break easier than a regular 360?

[quote name='The 7th Number']Is there anything that i should be worried about with these Arcade versions of the xbox 360? Like cheaper parts, that might break easier than a regular 360?[/quote]

All of them have the same, exact insides (well, assuming they were manufactured around the same time).

hey guys have a quick question, i bought a xbox live 3 month gold kit and the 3 month card said it must be redeemed by 6/30/2007, is the 3 month code still good or has it expired. Thanks in advance.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']...Did you try it?[/quote]

Yeah, that would be the quickest way to find out. ;) Anyway, it should be good. I have redeemed plenty of cards after the printed date.

When are the new bundles actually out? I've seen "November 8th" but most places just say "this month." Curious to find out if these are the final remaining Falcons they are clearing out, or if we're finally on to the Jaspers now.

[quote name='KaneRobot']When are the new bundles actually out? I've seen "November 8th" but most places just say "this month." Curious to find out if these are the final remaining Falcons they are clearing out, or if we're finally on to the Jaspers now.[/quote]

I am pretty sure they are already out there. GS "technically" is selling them, in the sense that they are selling you their old stock and giving you the games. I saw the bundles in-stock at Amazon, as well.

Not really sure where to ask and seems like this is the most appropriate place to do so.

I've been holding out on buying my own 360 because of the dreaded hardware failure rate but I've been hearing some buzz about the new chips in the newly manufactured 360s and also the fact that they tend to not sound as loud.

Is there any good indication that the new 360s that are coming out of the factories with these new chips and fans don't die due to RRoD or perhaps at a much, much lower rate? I'm not looking for a system that will last me forever but some evidence of better reliability would be great since with the price cut, it's finally about time I finished my console collection of this generation.

Thanks in advance.

It's pretty much impossible to prove that reliability has improved. Some will tell you that Falcon (released last year) is great, but since it's all off anecdotal evidence there's no real way to be sure. If it helps, Jasper is just around the corner.

[quote name='pete5883']It's pretty much impossible to prove that reliability has improved. Some will tell you that Falcon (released last year) is great, but since it's all off anecdotal evidence there's no real way to be sure. If it helps, Jasper is just around the corner.[/quote]

Pretty much spot on.

I also swung by to say that I, like many other CAGs, was able to get the HDD transfer kit out of Microsoft without owning an Elite. On the request form, I just put that my Elite was on order, and they sent one. So, if anyone is interested in buying a used hard drive, keep this in mind. Before you bother buying one, try going straight to the source. Fax it over for a quicker turnaround, as well.

[quote name='pete5883']It's pretty much impossible to prove that reliability has improved. Some will tell you that Falcon (released last year) is great, but since it's all off anecdotal evidence there's no real way to be sure. If it helps, Jasper is just around the corner.[/QUOTE]

Jasper?

Haven't heard about that chipset but I guess I can wait and see till I get some info on that one.

My already dying system red-ringed. So I called M$ to tell them that it's now a red-ringed system and they informed me that they were NOT sending out a coffin, and that I had to provide my own box/packing because they already emailed me a "shipping voucher". No coffin was ever on it's way.

What The FRAK?!?!

So I took one the boxes my laptop was shipped in during the last repair, removed the DHL label, packed that motherfrakker in tight with the laptop backing materials (kind of hard styrofoam) and am going to bs around after work tomorrow until a UPS Store opens so I can drop it off (I work 3rd, so actually GOING to UPS = hard). I think it's bullshit they refused to send me a freakin coffin.

Bah...

[quote name='ryoga79']My already dying system red-ringed. So I called M$ to tell them that it's now a red-ringed system and they informed me that they were NOT sending out a coffin, and that I had to provide my own box/packing because they already emailed me a "shipping voucher". No coffin was ever on it's way.

What The FRAK?!?!

So I took one the boxes my laptop was shipped in during the last repair, removed the DHL label, packed that motherfrakker in tight with the laptop backing materials (kind of hard styrofoam) and am going to bs around after work tomorrow until a UPS Store opens so I can drop it off (I work 3rd, so actually GOING to UPS = hard). I think it's bullshit they refused to send me a freakin coffin.

Bah...[/QUOTE]

They don't send coffins anymore. You get shipping labels sent to your e-mail, and you have to pay to ship it.

[quote name='Matt Young']They don't send coffins anymore. You get shipping labels sent to your e-mail, and you have to pay to ship it.[/quote]

Wow...really? Is that true? That's some bullshit if this is the case. Next time my 360 dies, I'll probably just buy an Arcade, sell off whatever it comes with, and at least have a somewhat more reliable machine. Seems to be a better option that paying $20, so that I can get back another crappy refurb. Of course, that's exactly what MS wants, so I'm screwed either way. What a bunch of crooks.

I have posted about this a couple times in the general info thread and got no response.

Ever since switching from Time Warner cable internet to Verizon DSL, I have been unable to change my NAT settings from moderate to open. I have followed numerous online guides and all that happened was that I lost the ability to connect to the internet whatsoever after changing settings.

I switched from Time Warner because their actual internet service was atrocious. I had the second highest speed package and was only getting 700-750 kbps upload and download speeds. This was on 2 PCs and one laptop, so I know it wasn't the computer(s).

Verizon DSL has been great connection wise, but the NAT settings have prevented me from playing with many people on my friends list. When I call Verizon tech support, they tell me that they are not able to handle those problems and that I would have to speak to Verizon premium technical support and be charged a fee.

Frankly, I think this is ridiculous and I am getting very pissed off at the company. Unfortunately, my only other option is to go back to shitty Time Warner. Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone with Verizon DSL been able to open their NAT? I need some help here.

Aren't NAT settings specific to the router you are using? I don't see the router information anywhere in your post.

I have Verizon DSL and I have a router that is hardwired to be strict NAT and the only issue I have with Live is that some games won't allow me to host.

I was going to say to reset the router, but I'm guessing you did that already since it is the modem as well.

So the appropriate ports are open for your Xbox's IP address and your Xbox's IP is set in the DMZ?

Using your DSL modem as a router is a bad idea. They're usually very pesky to open up ports or make many changes for port opening and NATs.

Do the following:
1) Buy/acquire a real router.
2) Set your Westell into bridge mode: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20535007-Verizon-Westell-7500-How-do-I-set-it-to-bridge-mode Bridge mode turns off the routing functions on the modem and turns it into a "dumb" DSL modem. The route does all the heavy lifting for Internet connectivity.
3) Configure the router for your DSL connection and the port forwarding for the 360.

Ports to open up:
UDP 88
UDP 3074
TCP 3074

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shrike4242']
Do the following:
1) Buy/steal/acquire a real router.[/QUOTE]

Damn.

If I report this post....shrike will get it himself.

But if I don't, then I'm not upholding CAG's rules of not-endorsing-criminal-activity.

But then shrike will KNOW I reported him to himself, and he'll come after me by reporting MY posts to himself, which he will then use to slowly build a case toward eventually banhammering.

But if I DON'T report it, retailers across the world will soon be invaded by router-snatching vandals, bringing the chaos of our already temperamental economy into a further heightened frenzy.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Makes much more sense. They actually use to give the option, I do believe.[/quote]

It's a lot faster this way....you don't have to wait for the coffin to come, thats like 3-5 days shaved off. I sent mine off to UPS last Sat morning. By Wed night it arrived at the repair center, next day they say they are sending it back.

I'm sorta regretting a replacement 360 now. If I knew it was pretty fast....I would of held off.

Had I known I didn't have a coffin coming, I would have just sent the frakkin this this week. Now I have to deliver it to the UPS store tomorrow and they said it won't go out until Monday. Bah.

At least the shipping itself is paid for. Now I'll just get off work, go get an oil change, and waste time until UPS Store opens.

Im not sure if this is the right thread but i need to sell my 360 because i need the money, but my question is that i bought alot of xbla games and i got a crap load of M$ points on my account, if i sell my 360 i know i should format the hard drive but if i get a 360 later will i still have my M$ points and be able to get my xbla games again? Sry for the elongated question.

So my Elite has stopped having video output. The video was screwy for a day or so and then quit completely. There is now sound, but no video. After checking all my connections, etc., I did some research and found this problem is almost as prevalent as the RROD.

Anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions? I have "towel tricked" it into fixing itself, it worked for a week or so and then went out again. Of course, I am out of warranty for everything except the RROD.

This happened to me when I saw the switch for the AV connector was turned to HDTV and I was using just a SDTV. Might want to look at that? Also, if that wouldn't work, would getting a new AV connector work? =p

[quote name='doughazelwood']So my Elite has stopped having video output. The video was screwy for a day or so and then quit completely. There is now sound, but no video. After checking all my connections, etc., I did some research and found this problem is almost as prevalent as the RROD.

Anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions? I have "towel tricked" it into fixing itself, it worked for a week or so and then went out again. Of course, I am out of warranty for everything except the RROD.[/quote]

Your video card is bad, mine went out a few weeks ago, luckily I had a protection plan with Overstock. I sent it out and got it back in less than a week.

[quote name='Malik112099']call CS and tell them you have RRoD[/quote]

I thought about this, but Microsoft probably hooks up returned 360's for some kind of diagnostic. I think they would be able to tell I didn't have RROD. Towel tricked it again, hopefully it will work for another week or so. Thanks for the replies!

[quote name='doughazelwood']So my Elite has stopped having video output. The video was screwy for a day or so and then quit completely. There is now sound, but no video. After checking all my connections, etc., I did some research and found this problem is almost as prevalent as the RROD.

Anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions? I have "towel tricked" it into fixing itself, it worked for a week or so and then went out again. Of course, I am out of warranty for everything except the RROD.[/QUOTE]

Same thing happened to me. Out of warranty. They'd fix it for a 100.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']I definately agree with you with the 3x flip thing, but when it's credit and not cash I'll still do a 2x flip[/quote]

And not all of us have NBA 08 in stock at our CCs. I checked out my CC yesterday and there were no AITD and NBA 08 games in stock. I was planning on buying 3-4 NBA 08's too. No big deal really.

My LIVE ran out, but I can still send text/voice messages on console. Uh.. I thought you have to be gold to send these?

Also, my 360 always makes a high-pitched squeak sound (I believe coming from the disc drive). I never moved the 360, bumped it when playing, etc.. that would make it grind the disc or something. Each time I play a game, you can hear a very high-pitched squeak sound coming from the 360. You can't actually hear it, but you can tell it's there because your ears start hurting (it's that high up). Anyone know what the problem is? Could I send this in for free? I think my warranty is out besides RROD. :D

[quote name='Chronotrigga']My LIVE ran out, but I can still send text/voice messages on console. Uh.. I thought you have to be gold to send these?[/quote]

Nope, you don't need Gold for those.

bread's done
Back