The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

Hello, everyone. I've never been a big fan of racing games, Mario Kart excepted, but am thinking about picking up a few games and a racing wheel. I have GRID already, but I don't think it will work with the wheel.

First off, what wheel is best? And does it actually drive much different using the wheel than the controller?

Second, what are some of the best racing games to use with this wheel?

Many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I play with my 7 year old a lot. Some decent appropriate games are:

Castle Crashers (he LOVED this one)
Eternal Sonata
Tales of Vesperia
Super Street Fighter HD Remix Whatever Its Called
Lego everything

We took turns on Prince of Persia too. Good game to sit and play together.

Just got it while playing street fighter. Anyone know if it's still free or did that end? I have a launch system, it broke 2 years ago and they fixed it once.

[quote name='KongaKing']Just got it while playing street fighter. Anyone know if it's still free or did that end? I have a launch system, it broke 2 years ago and they fixed it once.[/quote]

I *think* that the launch models have their warranty expired by this time period.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I *think* that the launch models have their warranty expired by this time period.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I just found this on the MS 360 repair section
"Standard warranty expired: A three-year warranty applies to Xbox 360 conditions indicated by three red lights. "

Crap. Anyyone have any luck calling and getting a free repair anyways?

if not you can repair it yourself. its not too hard especially if you have no alternative like me (i voided my warranty to fix the dvd drive). the fix is relatively easy if you built computers before, just may take some time your first time around.

Not to be too harsh of a judge, but those of you letting 8 year olds play M rated games are really bad parents. I can't think of any justification for letting that happen. If you like them, play them after they go to bed. There are many less mature-content games out there for an 8 year-old to play.

I know I'll probably get flamed for saying that, but you clearly have bad judgment so I won't let it get to me. :p

There aren't any really good ones if you are serious about "realism" like a Logitech G25 for example. If you just want a wheel then you could probably just get the M$ wheel.

[quote name='torifile']Not to be too harsh of a judge, but those of you letting 8 year olds play M rated games are really bad parents. I can't think of any justification for letting that happen. If you like them, play them after they go to bed. There are many less mature-content games out there for an 8 year-old to play.

I know I'll probably get flamed for saying that, but you clearly have bad judgment so I won't let it get to me. :p[/QUOTE]

I can't imagine this conversation ending well, but whatever, I'll bite.

To say people are bad parents based on the single fact of whether or not they let their children play a specific game is ridiculous. I think you might need to know a little more about the specific relationship between that parent and that child to make that decision.

[quote name='elpolloestupendo']I can't imagine this conversation ending well, but whatever, I'll bite.

To say people are bad parents based on the single fact of whether or not they let their children play a specific game is ridiculous. I think you might need to know a little more about the specific relationship between that parent and that child to make that decision.[/QUOTE]
Umm. No. I can't fathom a single instance in which allowing an 8 year-old to play an M rated game is indicative of good parenting or good decision making. I'll grant that it may not make one a "bad parent" but it is an example of extremely bad judgment. And this type of decision making does not occur in a bubble. I'd wager that it's predictive of other poor parenting skills. It's permissive parenting at best and neglectful at worst.

I'll say this - it's never ever ok to allow an 8 year-old to play a game like Fallout 3, Halo or Gears of War.

I'm a bit surprised so many people suggest/let their kids play Castle Crashers. Its pretty violent and gory. My brother would shit a brick if I let my 4 year old nephew play it.

Hell, back in the day of no online co-op play, I could never find anyone to play Mortal Kombat on Sega Genesis, so I stuck the second controller up my pregnant wife so my unborn daughter could play with me. It got boring though because I would win like 70% of the time....

Hey guys, just this last week I got the Ear Force X1 for my birthday, however I'm not sure if I should keep it or instead take it back to the store and pay the extra $50 for the X3 model.

I wanted to see if any of you have had these various models in the past and what your thoughts were about them. Is the X1 just worth it or should I spend the extra cash flow and get the x3?

Personally I think the X4 is just crazy expensive and since I have a 3 year old running around the house I greatly fear her finding it. lol

Thanks guys

Well, I've had my Wii from launch, and I've had a PS3 for a year and a half now, and I finally decided to cough up the coin for a 360.

There were a handful of 360 exclusives I wanted to play.
So I already bought, cause these are the games I wanted first, Dead Rising, Burnout Revenge, Halo 3, and Fable II.

I already own the major multiplatform games on the PS3, like COD4, COD5, UT3, ect...

At the moment, call me crazy, but I'm not interested in the Gears of War series. I have so many shooters right now anyway.

So what I'm asking is, aside from Gears 1 and 2, are there any 360 essentials you feel I'm missing? Like 360 exclusives that you thing are a MUST for any new 360 owner?

(Just for the record, I don't favor one system over the other)

[quote name='foxdvd']Hell, back in the day of no online co-op play, I could never find anyone to play Mortal Kombat on Sega Genesis, so I stuck the second controller up my pregnant wife so my unborn daughter could play with me. It got boring though because I would win like 70% of the time....[/QUOTE]
:lol:

[quote name='KongaKing']Thanks. I just found this on the MS 360 repair section
"Standard warranty expired: A three-year warranty applies to Xbox 360 conditions indicated by three red lights. "

Crap. Anyyone have any luck calling and getting a free repair anyways?[/quote]

I suggest calling support and asking. At worst, they'll say they won't fix it.

Shooters
left 4dead

Rpg
Masseffect
Lost odyssey
Tales of vesperia

Sports
Forza2
Project Gotham racing4

Adventure
Banjo kazooie

Xbla
Geometry wars
Castle crashers

On XBLA, I really played the crap out of UNO and Carcassone, and I know there's a few diehard Catan fans here too. I think picking up TMNT Arcade for 400 points is great nostalgia gaming if you remember it.

Halo 3. A shooter yes, but the level of customization due to Forge makes this game a must buy. The ability to edit maps and gametypes should be a standard in shooters from now on due to this game.

~HotShotX

[quote name='Ex~']
Honestly, I'd let my kid play Fallout 3. Especially if she were a mature young girl. It's all quite far-fetched and amusing, rarely is the game too disturbing, as long as you don't go a bad karma route... in which case... yikes :lol:[/quote]

I disagree. Not to be pessimistic, but outside of some of the supernatural elements, I don't find the setting of Fallout 3 to be all that far fetched. I find quite a bit of the game to be disturbing, and can imagine a child being that much more disturbed.

Parents have choices to make, and I agree that choices should be made based on a kid's personality, their maturity, and their relationship with their parents. I have just never met a young kid that I thought could handle something like fallout, and wouldn't let my kid play it (if i had one).

[quote name='FarmhouseMedia']Well, I've had my Wii from launch, and I've had a PS3 for a year and a half now, and I finally decided to cough up the coin for a 360.

There were a handful of 360 exclusives I wanted to play.
So I already bought, cause these are the games I wanted first, Dead Rising, Burnout Revenge, Halo 3, and Fable II.

I already own the major multiplatform games on the PS3, like COD4, COD5, UT3, ect...

At the moment, call me crazy, but I'm not interested in the Gears of War series. I have so many shooters right now anyway.

So what I'm asking is, aside from Gears 1 and 2, are there any 360 essentials you feel I'm missing? Like 360 exclusives that you thing are a MUST for any new 360 owner?

(Just for the record, I don't favor one system over the other)[/quote]

Off of Xbox Live-

Braid
Rez HD
Castle Crashers
Ikaruga

Xbox Exclusive Games
Fable II
GTA IV: The Lost and The Damned DLC
Left4Dead
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise
Mass Effect
Tales of Vesperia

Those are all the games I've played and enjoyed and games everyone should at least give a shot once.

RPG wise, Lost Odysey, Star Ocean, INfinite Undiscovery. I also reccomend these on Arcade.

TMNT, Ikaruga, Super C and Contra, Super Street Fighter 2 HD Remix, Puzzle Fighter HD Remix, Triggerheart, Beat'n Groovy, Metal Slug 3, Doom, Castlevania SOTN, Megaman 9

Personally I think this all deserve a playthrough and or purchase:

Halo 3
Crackdown
GTA IV
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Mass Effect
UNO

Guys, many thanks for all the helprful replies and interesting debate. I appreciate all the input.

My basis for the thread is to try to keep my kid in an appropriate spectrum--ie, not F3 or Bioshock. We tried indy lego, and had a good time.

[quote name='Wildgift']Guys, many thanks for all the helprful replies and interesting debate. I appreciate all the input.

My basis for the thread is to try to keep my kid in an appropriate spectrum--ie, not F3 or Bioshock. We tried indy lego, and had a good time.[/quote]

Glad I could help!

I keep hearing about Crackdown, and I see it for cheap too! What kind of game is it?

Also, anyone who has the TMNT arcade, is it easy to find ppl to play with, cause I really want it, but not if the servers are always bare.

BTW, thanks for all the responses.

Oh, and the Might and Magic game, does it suck?

[quote name='FarmhouseMedia']I keep hearing about Crackdown, and I see it for cheap too! What kind of game is it?

Also, anyone who has the TMNT arcade, is it easy to find ppl to play with, cause I really want it, but not if the servers are always bare.

BTW, thanks for all the responses.

Oh, and the Might and Magic game, does it suck?[/quote]

Crackdown. I would hate to say that it is a GTA clone, because you could hate GTA but love Crackdown. It is an open sandbox type game, but your character is super human. They can absorb massive amounts of bullets, run faster then a car, jump hundreds of feet from building to building, and lift buses up and throw them around. Not a perfect game, but without trying.... it does maybe the best job any game has ever done in making you feel like a superhero. Your goal is to take the city back from three rival gangs, one boss at a time. The leveling up of your character has enough of a RPG feel that many people who did not like GTA really got behind it. Like I said earlier it is not perfect but fun as hell.

Might and Magic got bad reviews, and it is a step back from the computer version, but it is dirt cheap, and I thought it was solid enough to pay about 15 bucks for. Better then reviews, but not great.

I am surprised nobody mentioned Orange Box. Even if you are sick of shooters, you will love Portal. Amazon usually sells Orange Box for only $20 so jump in.

[quote name='Mr. Pink']I am surprised nobody mentioned Orange Box. Even if you are sick of shooters, you will love Portal. Amazon usually sells Orange Box for only $20 so jump in.[/quote]

He is looking for exclusives....

Well, I may try Crackdown then, cause I agreed 100% with CheapyD in liking Saints Row 2 a lot better than GTA4.
As for Potal, I played it on PC, but I see the game is on XBLA as a stand alone title, cause I actually had Orange Box for the PS3 and didn't really like it.

Thanks for all your help gang!

[quote name='FarmhouseMedia']Well, I may try Crackdown then, cause I agreed 100% with CheapyD in liking Saints Row 2 a lot better than GTA4.
As for Potal, I played it on PC, but I see the game is on XBLA as a stand alone title, cause I actually had Orange Box for the PS3 and didn't really like it.

Thanks for all your help gang![/quote]

If you liked Saints Row 2 better, you will love Crackdown. I felt Saints Row 2 was maybe the 3 or 4 best game of 2008, and I had more fun with Crackdown.

Here is my Top 10 must own 360 games

1. Mass Effect
2. Fallout 3
3. Oblivion
4. Gears of War 1 & 2
5. Street Fighter IV
6. Left 4 Dead
7. Call of Duty 4
8. Dead Space
9. Call of Duty World at War
10. Rock Band 2

I would say Mass Effect definitely
You got H3 down pat and you probably should get the new map packs, legendary/mythic.

If you're into Hack and Slash then Castle Crashers. 360 has a lot of good arcade games.

SR2 and Crackdown are great as well. Those are the exclusives that I saw.

bread's done
Back