The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

[quote name='lolwut?']I highly doubt Xbox's India support would bring up that argument.

I still don't get how you think the second Xbox could use it offline however. It's downloaded on my hard-drive and tied to my Live account. How would my girlfriend even be able to get the full game onto her HD? I don't think you could download the trial and it would instantly turn into the full game.[/quote]

Its just how it works. You bring your hardrive to your friends, upload your account on their 360, they get the game when offline, you get it when online. Just try it out and find out yourself :D Put in the other HD, pull out the internet cable, and try it out.

I know there are a ton of threads regarding what the 360 has to offer RPG wise, but my question is a little bit different.

I know Final Fantasy XI is a MMORPG on the 360, but due to bad reviews and a monthly fee I am hesitant to try it. However I was wondering if anyone could recommend a RPG that 'feels' like a normal MMORPG (eg. World of Warcraft, City of Heroes, Guild Wars, etc.). As weird as it is I love the grinding portion of MMORPGs like WoW, and how you can run around freely fighting whatever you want. I understand something as monsterous as WoW isn't on any console but is there anything on a smaller scale that feels like it? A game where I can run around as and grind to level up and such?

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks CAGs.

There are a few "Diablo-eqse" dungeon crawler MMORPGs on the 360, such as the Phantasy Star series, or Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom. I don't know how many people still play either, although you can currently get KUF in the Amazon.com Deals thread for $9.99 + Free Shipping. I know a couple of CAGs picked it up, and I still have it myself, so perhaps we should get a game night going.

~HotShotX

Fable II, Two Worlds, Oblivion come to mind.

Phantasy Star Universe now has an open beta that's available to download - no fees.
It's an online MMO. You can download it free off the marketplace.

It's boring to me, but it's better than nothing.
They used to reset the servers so all the characters levels and items would disappear, making you want to buy the game, but they haven't done that in awhile.

I've played beat Fable II, Oblivion, Fallout 3, and while those were awesome RPG's they didn't have the similarity of a MMORPG. I'll try the marketplace download for Phantasy Star and I'll look at the reviews and gameplay videos for KoF. Last night I came upon a game called Champions Online created by the same developers as City of Heroes that's going to be a PC and 360 MMORPG. I think that may be my best shot. Thanks guys.

[quote name='Sparta Omni']Fable II, Two Worlds, Oblivion come to mind.

Phantasy Star Universe now has an open beta that's available to download - no fees.
It's an online MMO. You can download it free off the marketplace.

It's boring to me, but it's better than nothing.
They used to reset the servers so all the characters levels and items would disappear, making you want to buy the game, but they haven't done that in awhile.[/quote]

Fable II, Two Worlds, and Oblivion are not MMORPG's....

Age of Conan was supposedly coming to the 360 but i haven't heard anything since. I'm kinda wondering if its poor showing on the PC squashed that.

Give FFXI a shot. It's cheap to buy (DO NOT BUY IT ANYWHERE USED) and has a free trial with it. You might enjoy it enough to stick with it. It's a small community, but the game itself is friggin MASSIVE and it's about the only MMORPG or MMORPG-like game that's on the system...for now at least.
And Phantasy Star Universe sucks so much more than FFXI. I hated it, and I'm one of the guys who spent hundreds of hours on Phantasy Star Online, Phantasy Star Online V.2, and Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 (not to mention the 1 & 2 + release) on GameCube.

No shit, I know they aren't mmo's. He asked for games similar to, and while they aren't mmos, and they have the rpg elements that are similar to one.

Age of Conan is supposed to come out some day on the xbox 360. It didn't fly to high on PC due to games like WoW and EQ, but I heard it's decent. It was supposed to come out last may, and keeps getting pushed back with low priority from the developer, so who knows.

If anyone's dying for a decent MMO on a console, I'd suggest Everquest Online Adventures for the PS2. Monthly fee is still 15, and it's died down, a lot. But easily one of the most fun mmos, or games, I have ever played.

I love the fact that MS had the nerve to put up a "tutorial" on how to change your GT. It's bad enough that they charge you to do so, but to advertise this "feature"...wow...

[quote name='Sparta Omni']If anyone's dying for a decent MMO on a console, I'd suggest Everquest Online Adventures for the PS2. Monthly fee is still 15, and it's died down, a lot. But easily one of the most fun mmos, or games, I have ever played.[/QUOTE]

Man I had a 7-day trial for this game when I was 13 or 14 during spring break.

The nonsensical configuration of my living room, with the PS2, DSL modem, and a KEYBOARD FOR A CONSOLE GAME, really blew my mind. It was certainly one of the best spring breaks ever. :)

[quote name='JoeCamNet']Give FFXI a shot. It's cheap to buy (DO NOT BUY IT ANYWHERE USED) and has a free trial with it. You might enjoy it enough to stick with it. It's a small community, but the game itself is friggin MASSIVE and it's about the only MMORPG or MMORPG-like game that's on the system...for now at least.
And Phantasy Star Universe sucks so much more than FFXI. I hated it, and I'm one of the guys who spent hundreds of hours on Phantasy Star Online, Phantasy Star Online V.2, and Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 (not to mention the 1 & 2 + release) on GameCube.[/quote]

For FFXI, if I had a quest or something and I needed help would it be ridiculously hard to find a group? Or are there NPC's I can use like in Guild Wars?

Unless they did a complete overhaul since I stopped 2 years ago, you have to party to get past lvl 20, and 10-20 is hard as hell to get without a party. I really liked the game, and if you want to play a powerrace, play a Tarutaru or a Mithra, because making them powerful melees is cheap, whereas making the other races powerful mages is hella expensive (unless AH prices changed that much, and I really doubt it) My tarutaru Gdenkun was a lvl 56 whm, lvl 55 bard, lvl 45 monk, 45 blm, 45 thief, ummm he had a few other in the fourties range, but its been so long since I played the game, but yeah its easy and cheap to be a powerful melee tarutaru (they have the highest agi in the game tied with Mithra, and second highest dex in the game (after mithra) which makes them great thieves, and agi really helps their to hit.)

I'm looking for a good RPG that has alot of great end game stuff like quests and items to get kind of like FF7. I have oblivion and its great but I am not going to just sit there and quest and quest quest it gets old. Need something with more of a story but has loot and that sort of thing.

What are your suggestions?

Tales looked good and so did infinite undiscovery but I don't know about the end game or extra quests.
Thanks.

Alright well I downloaded the mythic maps to my xbox and then recovered my account on my other xbox so that I could play maps on both xboxs. When I go to see the maps on the other xbox the maps don't show up even though they are clearly downloaded on my harddrive. Is there anyway to get it so that I can make it so I can play the maps on both xboxs? I don't want to fork over another $10. I just want to play them. I don't care if I can't play them on live I just want them for lan parties. I know there must be a way or something. Any help?

OK I'm trying to determine if my xbox 360 is going bad or if the hd av cable is bad. The connection seems loose and if I jiggle it around just right I can get the colors to look right some of the time otherwise the colors are very pale, any ideas? I'm thinking of just buying a new cable to see if that fixes it if not I'm pretty sure my 360 is nearly dead and I'll just buy a arcade model from dell for like $150.

Any thoughts?

Dude, it charges while it's off. I always have my headset and ipod hooked up to it when it's off and in the morning, it's fully charged.

Are you connected to XBL with the Xbox you're trying to play the maps on? If the content wasn't downloaded on that same 360, you have to be connected to XBL to access it.

Correct. It charges while the system is off. IIRC you have to plug it in while the system is on though so that when you shut down it goes into low power mode.

Also as mentioned any powered USB device works, cable box, Tivo, DVR, Wii, PC, laptop, etc.

I actually ended up buying one one bay for $2.50 shipped before I realized my FIOS box could charge it. :D Thanks though, I appreciate all your help!

Yeah, I'd definitely try a new cable before going out to buy a whole new console. The touchiness of the cable makes me think that yours might be bad, but at the same time the connection on the inside of your console might be bad too.

i did a search and didnt see anything so i hope somene can help me.

i bought a refub xbox, it red ringed so i exchanged it. when i got the new one i put in a game, played for a bit and tried to save. i kept getting an error about being unable to save. i reset the xbox and the game file had been deleted. (ugh..halfway through Blue Dragon)

i tried to delete the demos i have saved so i can install a game onto the HDD and they will delete, but the amount of available space stays the same. (6.2gb) i reset the xbox, some of the demos will be back, (not all) but there is still 6.2gb available.

i try to format, enter the serial number, and i get an error. soemthing about being unable to format.

is it the HDD or the xbox? anyone know what i can do to fix this? or is there a way to use my external HD w/o having to format and switch to fat32 and lose all my data?

I'm looking for a really good SINGLE PLAYER XBLA title. Any suggestions? I barely have any XBLA games, so throw out anything... basically I want it to at least last more than a couple hours too.

Well, if you haven't played it on another format, Castlevania is an easy suggestion. You'll sink plenty of time into that, especially if you wanna go for 200/200. Doom is another good choice, especially at 400 poins. Crystal Defenders got a lot of average reviews, but I had a bunch of fun with it and unless you use a guide, you'll take a lot of time to get your strategy down.

I'd suggest, other than those, Pinball FX as you can spend hours playing the game when you get good at it. I also enjoy Peggle alot and that can suck away some good amount of time. A Kingdom of Kefliengs is a good game as well which you can just spend an hour or two in no time.

Heard a lot about Peggle. How long does it take to get 200/200 and how long is the single player? Not too interested in the rest...but any other suggestions are good

I found out by accident that pressing start on the controller turns on the 360. Did anyone else know about this? I only thought the guide button could turn the console on.

bread's done
Back