The General eBay Rant Thread

That VGA thing is the biggest scam going right now. Who the hell are they to grade games? They are nobodies. I get why sellers use them to jack up item value, but anyone who pays triple the going rate just because those frauds "graded" the game just got scammed. Plain and simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
That VGA thing is the biggest scam going right now. Who the hell are they to grade games? They are nobodies. I get why sellers use them to jack up item value, but anyone who pays triple the going rate just because those frauds "graded" the game just got scammed. Plain and simple.
It's been around for decades. Started with coins, then cards and comics. Now Video games. It's a good way to guarantee you get a "mint" copy of a collectible you have no intention of playing with. They are literally condition experts and have been for a very long time
The case it's sealed in is very high quality and will protect the investment.
Last time I checked it's very expensive to get stuff graded. I had one card I considered getting graded and it was going to cost me $45 plus shipping.

I got banned I think 3 years ago now on Paypal(something I didn't even do, but they don't listen), and I've tried to fight it numerous times, and they just won't change their minds. They even told me one time, that if I want to find out what happened, that I would have to subpeona them, and take them to court. Crazy stuff, and I had a perfect 100 feedback and used it since the early 2000's, and now I basically can't use ebay, since all people take is Paypal. The dumbest thing about it, is my ebay account isn't banned, just the paypal, even though they are basically the same company

Anybody having problems with First Class mail taking longer than usual these days? I've had 3 people in the last month and a half that either sent me a message or opened a case about not receiving their item after two weeks. So far, all 3 of them have eventually been shipped and my customers left positive feedback but it's getting frustrating.

Maybe it's just the Sort facility in my area because all the items got stuck at the same sort facility for weeks.

Does anyone know the physical address for the USPS Sort Facility in DENVER, CO 80217? I'm trying to get a package that's stuck there moving again.
Wouldn't your claim representative look into that for you? Your local postmaster should be able to supply that if you asked should you have called USPS CS by now.

Anybody having problems with First Class mail taking longer than usual these days? I've had 3 people in the last month and a half that either sent me a message or opened a case about not receiving their item after two weeks. So far, all 3 of them have eventually been shipped and my customers left positive feedback but it's getting frustrating.

Maybe it's just the Sort facility in my area because all the items got stuck at the same sort facility for weeks.
Nothing out of the ordinary for me. I've delivered 5 packages in the last week via USPS and they all got to their destination within 2 - 3 business days. It's awesome that they deliver on Saturdays. Some of my sales got to their destinations mid-day Saturday so they got to play their games for the whole weekend. It usually helps my feedback.

It seems like after February, everything just slowed to a snail's pace. Probably let go all of the seasonal employees, so things are "back to normal" (aka slow as fuck) around these parts.

Some of my First Class packages make it in 3-7 days. Select others beat Priority. I guess it's just luck of the draw.

Even if they make it within a week, people piss and moan because it's not UPS overnight-Amazon Prime speed

If you or customer lives in SoCal the mail has been going slower in the South Bay because they closed a hub/sort in facility in Long beach in February so now everything is sent to LA hub. I noticed the difference in mail right away.

Yeah, it's hit and miss. Most of my First Class stuff is delivered in 2-3 days and I get feedback stating the shipping was super fast, but 3 people in a month is way out of the ordinary for me. I talked to my parents about it (who owns a store and sells on Ebay) and they've had the same problem as of late. It's weird.

Sold a vita tv for $90 on ebay. Even gave them free shipping with priority. Now they are asking for a refund because they didn't realize they couldn't play all their games on it. Do I have to refund them? This is pretty annoying since I was scheduled to receive the money tomorrow.

Sold a vita tv for $90 on ebay. Even gave them free shipping with priority. Now they are asking for a refund because they didn't realize they couldn't play all their games on it. Do I have to refund them? This is pretty annoying since I was scheduled to receive the money tomorrow.
eBay will most likely make you refund---if it was new and it was opened you may have some ground to stand on. If it wasn't new and they end up opening a case make sure you select "return for refund" otherwise there is a chance they could end up keeping it and getting a refund if eBay decides in their favor

You can refund them, but I think you can subtract the shipping fee, since the listing isn't an error on your part, and have them pay for return shipping.

You can refund them, but I think you can subtract the shipping fee, since the listing isn't an error on your part, and have them pay for return shipping.
He offered free shipping though, which is the downside to playing that game. So there's no amount for him to keep. He might be able to charge a restocking fee though or something like that. I'm not sure what eBay's restocking fee rules are.

He offered free shipping though, which is the downside to playing that game. So there's no amount for him to keep. He might be able to charge a restocking fee though or something like that. I'm not sure what eBay's restocking fee rules are.
If you are not at fault, you can subtract out your original shipping fees, even if you had "free shipping." Probably because it's no different than marking it as a restocking fee.

I know this isn't eBay but since there's a lot of people that are dabbling in shipping here...anyone that buy from Amazon notice them using UPS that transfers the package to your local PO for delivery? It's only happened a few times in the past few months but usually that was because UPS for some some reason couldn't deliver it themselves (notably when the weather was shit here) . Within the last few weeks though they've been doing it intentionally. (I'm Prime so I use fee 2-day) They will ship it fast enough that it will actually be at the local UPS facility that packages normally arrive to and get delivered from day one but instead of delivering it themselves they just give it to the PO who delivers it the following day. This does meet the 2-day shipping technically but I don't get why they don't just deliver it themselves since it's at the facility they deliver from normally the first day.

I know this isn't eBay but since there's a lot of people that are dabbling in shipping here...anyone that buy from Amazon notice them using UPS that transfers the package to your local PO for delivery? It's only happened a few times in the past few months but usually that was because UPS for some some reason couldn't deliver it themselves (notably when the weather was shit here) . Within the last few weeks though they've been doing it intentionally. (I'm Prime so I use fee 2-day) They will ship it fast enough that it will actually be at the local UPS facility that packages normally arrive to and get delivered from day one but instead of delivering it themselves they just give it to the PO who delivers it the following day. This does meet the 2-day shipping technically but I don't get why they don't just deliver it themselves since it's at the facility they deliver from normally the first day.
That is the definition of the UPS SurePost or FedEx smart post service. They will always go to your P.O. first as it is cheaper for UPS or FedEx to do that then make the actual delivery. The only time they'll deliver it to your house and bypass the P.O. is if you have other UPS or FedEx packages coming the same day.

USPS, by law, has to deliver everywhere within reason as it is a not for profit organization where UPS and FedEx are. That is why people are idiots when they say "durrrr.... i wish USPS would go out of business...." because they don't realize that would jack up the prices on all the other carriers because they'd have to start delivering rural routes or those people would have to start driving a long distance to get their mail

I figured the word  "cheaper" was somewhere in the reasoning lol. Hey, as long as it comes within two days like I pay for then good enough. Kinda sucks they won't go ahead and deliver it if it's in that day opposed to the PO but in the end as long as things are arriving on time or better can't complain. Thanks for the explanation.

So I told the guy if he wanted a refund he'd have to pay shipping. Haven't heard anything in a couple days. How long do I have till I am no longer liable for refunding purchases. Considering there was nothing wrong with my post and he just did n't understand that vita tv doesn't play everything.

I misread your post and didn't see the 'TV' part after Vita. I was going to say, what the hell do these people think the Vita plays, their SNES carts?

as expected he opened a case saying the item description didn't match which is bullshit. I'll give him a refund but I'll be damned if I spend another $10 for shipping just because he didn't understand the limits of the vita tv.

edit. So I responded to the case saying I'll give him a full refund once he shipped my item back and now I haven't gotten a response from him for 10 days. Just to be clear I don't need to do anything else right? 

So I have a question and I am hoping that some of you more ebay experienced CAGs can offer advice on what I should do. Thanks in advance.

So I sold a pair of womens shoes on ebay last week for my girlfriend. The buyer had messaged me after the initial listing had not sold and ask if I still had them, so I said to her I did and would put them up on the date she had asked for a BIN price. She pays, asking if the shipping would get the shoes there by a certain date. I replied, saying I could not gurantee it but since priority was .50 cents more I would just ship it that way in order to ensure she would receive them in time. Well, I get a message today where she is saying the shoes are not the color she thought they were and that she is disappointed. Here is the message verbatim.

Dear masatfc,

I received the shoes today. While they are nice, the color looks more like dark brown or or very deep burgandy, not purple, as they look on the listing. I am disappointed in that the color is so different looking. I wanted purple.

Here is the listing, where it is clearly stated that there is a reflection/glare in the photo and that "all sales are final"

My question and concern is, how should I reply to this? the picture is the color of the shoes, and those are the shoes I sent (packed them up myself, they are that color). Should I tell her to go pound sand? I don't want a negative feedback over this, but offering a refund seems to retract on what was listed in the item description. I don't feel that I should offer a refund. Do you think she is just being a bitch/scammer?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Sounds like she's being honest and at least the email is polite. You can't stop her from returning the item either.

I'd say keep it professional. Explain that colors can be a bit tricky on a picture, particularly with glare and that is why you noted it in your listing. Apologize that they aren't what she is looking for, then offer to refund less shipping upon return of the shoes.

Sounds like she's being honest and at least the email is polite. You can't stop her from returning the item either.

I'd say keep it professional. Explain that colors can be a bit tricky on a picture, particularly with glare and that is why you noted it in your listing. Apologize that they aren't what she is looking for, then offer to refund less shipping upon return of the shoes.
Second this. Otherwise she can open a case and will end up getting a full refund upon return.

Third it. Offer her refund less shipping, and imply that she has to also pay return shipping. Then hope she doesn't bother returning it for like $5.

Asking about this one for a friend.

He uses ebay, but 90% of his ebay stuff is done on ebay apps via mobile devices. I never use ebay mobile, so I don't know, but he tells me options are limited. For example, he says for whatever reason, when he lists something on ebay's app, it doesn't have ebay's global shipping program active under shipping policies. When he sells on a computer, it does.

Well, he found that out too late. He listed an expensive article of clothing via his phone, and he thought it would have the global shipping program under his policies. He found out it didn't when someone from Saudi Arabia bought it. The guy didn't have a big feedback, so he was a little leary about a foreigner buying something from him, but he shipped it out anyway on the 14th of April.

Well, today the guy filed a case with Paypal saying he never got his item and he wants a refund now. Obviously, an item getting to Saudi Arabia in 9 days is blasphemy. I've had items come from England that took 20 days and that's right across the Atlantic. They put a hold on his funds, and the tracking stopped once it left the US.

Any tips on what he should do? I told him to scan his receipt and customs forms and upload them to Paypal in the case, and respond saying that items shipped overseas can take anywhere up to 4 weeks even, depending on customs and whatnot.

Would Paypal find it fishy that he filed a case after only 9 days?

Asking about this one for a friend.

He uses ebay, but 90% of his ebay stuff is done on ebay apps via mobile devices. I never use ebay mobile, so I don't know, but he tells me options are limited. For example, he says for whatever reason, when he lists something on ebay's app, it doesn't have ebay's global shipping program active under shipping policies. When he sells on a computer, it does.

Well, he found that out too late. He listed an expensive article of clothing via his phone, and he thought it would have the global shipping program under his policies. He found out it didn't when someone from Saudi Arabia bought it. The guy didn't have a big feedback, so he was a little leary about a foreigner buying something from him, but he shipped it out anyway on the 14th of April.

Well, today the guy filed a case with Paypal saying he never got his item and he wants a refund now. Obviously, an item getting to Saudi Arabia in 9 days is blasphemy. I've had items come from England that took 20 days and that's right across the Atlantic. They put a hold on his funds, and the tracking stopped once it left the US.

Any tips on what he should do? I told him to scan his receipt and customs forms and upload them to Paypal in the case, and respond saying that items shipped overseas can take anywhere up to 4 weeks even, depending on customs and whatnot.

Would Paypal find it fishy that he filed a case after only 9 days?
No. PayPal will allow a buyer to open an INR case the minute after they pay.

He should upload his tracking number--they will at least put a "stay" on the case to give the item enough time to be delivered. Hopefully it was shipped with tracking (i.e. label starts with CJ/CF/Cx or EC) because a buyer that is going to open a case after just 9 days surely isn't going to be honest if he receives the item but it does NOT have tracking.

Also keep this site bookmarked (www.track-trace.com).

Sometimes tracking won't update through USPS but it will through the recipient's home postal service and that site allows you to check both

I talked to him again, and actually, I misunderstood what he said. He didn't get a tracking number. He doesn't sell a lot on ebay and when they told him to get tracking, the cost to ship the item would be $38. So he went with the cheaper option, because the shipping price he had on ebay was a lot less than that.

So, yeah, he doesn't have a tracking number.

He also told me the guy put in the Paypal case that he repeatedly asked him for a tracking number, and my friend said he has not a single message or email from him asking him for a tracking number.

1) The buyer is probably a scammer, and 2) I doubt your friend paid for international priority mail with tracking. So your friend is probably screwed.

Edit: I just tried to list something on eBay's mobile app. It has a section for international shipping. Mine defaulted to Global shipping program, and no alternative international shipping.

I told him if he didn't upload tracking, he's probably SOL, but it's possible the customs form and receipt might provide proof.

If he ends up losing, he said he's going to buy this same item he sold from another ebayer and say he didn't get it like this Saudi guy did to him, so he can break even. I told him not to, since he'd be putting his account in jeopardy, and ripping someone else off doesn't solve anything. My advice didn't seem to change his mind.

As far as eBay is concerned, they require tracking. Customs form and receipt won't change eBay's mind.

And as for scamming someone else off, I hope that if he does it, it backfires on him.

He should have asked before sending it out.

The customs number is the same as the tracking number however you can NOT track first class international packages (the number will start with LJ or LK or LC) unless they are part of the new E-DELCON (E-Delivery Confirmation) program that USPS has but it is limited to 20ish countries. That customs/tracking number would start with an LZ. Last I remember Saudi Arabia wasn't a participating country.

If the buyer is honest he will wait... and if PayPal forces a refund he'll resubmit payment later on. However in my experience that rarely happens.

Your friend really should have researched this first. I highly doubt he'd send an expensive item domestically (say a $300 gift card) as a first class letter w/o tracking so not sure why he'd send something internationally without tracking either.

I get that shipping is expensive so he should have either cancelled the transaction or reinvoiced the buyer if he didn't want to swallow the charges---but in hindsight losing $30 or so on shipping charges is better then losing the full purchase price to an INR claim.

Also many countries can send items to the U.S. with tracking for just a fraction of what it costs us in the U.S. to send packages internationally with tracking so your friends plan might backfire if the seller puts tracking on the item. You can't claim INR if the item shows delivered.

Not to sound mean but this is pretty basic stuff.... it's right up there with "Why do I have to take the item back (buyer opened SNAD case) my auction clearly states NO REFUNDS".

Your friend is going to have shit luck scamming someone if they use DC/tracking. I hope he tries and ends up buying the same item again and has to pay and keep it. Your "friend" is scum for thinking about screwing over a presumably honest eBay seller just because he was an idiot and sold internationally in the first place/didn't bother to go on a computer to enable the Global shipping program/didn't block off Saudi Arabia/didn't want to pay to track it. That whole scenario from top to bottom is what is making eBay shit.

One good scam deserves another obviously...

There is another thread on here about how someone was scammed out of a Best Buy gift card, and they are getting BBY to issue another one for them.  I doubt they are telling the full truth if the store is willing to do that for them on just their word alone.

Echoing kodave's statement, this is what is wrong with eBay, and everyone else ends up paying for it in the long run.

Second this. Otherwise she can open a case and will end up getting a full refund upon return.

Third it. Offer her refund less shipping, and imply that she has to also pay return shipping. Then hope she doesn't bother returning it for like $5.
Thanks for the advice everyone. I sent a message to her last night saying basically what was suggested her, and her reply was along the lines of "the cost to ship it back for a refund on the shoes alone is more than I wanted to spend on the shoes themselves, so I will not be returning the shoes and waiting for a refund."

so, should I still be worried about a PP case or negative feedback? I work with a nanny (at a clients house) whom mentioned something about ebay having a feedback reversal thing if you can prove a case, does anyone know if that is true?

Thanks for the advice everyone. I sent a message to her last night saying basically what was suggested her, and her reply was along the lines of "the cost to ship it back for a refund on the shoes alone is more than I wanted to spend on the shoes themselves, so I will not be returning the shoes and waiting for a refund."

so, should I still be worried about a PP case or negative feedback? I work with a nanny (at a clients house) whom mentioned something about ebay having a feedback reversal thing if you can prove a case, does anyone know if that is true?
She could leave a neg out of spite. Feedback reversal is possible, but its just a mess of a process(many sellers have said ebay sided with buyers even with proof, etc). In this case, I would try to offer a partial refund to compensate for the "mistake". Even if it was her fault and be done with it.

Problem is, even if she is satisfied with that and leaves a neutral, it still counts negatively against you I believe. Either a positive or no feedback is what you want. You could also get a defect if a case is opened regardless of who is right.

Your friend is going to have shit luck scamming someone if they use DC/tracking. I hope he tries and ends up buying the same item again and has to pay and keep it. Your "friend" is scum for thinking about screwing over a presumably honest eBay seller just because he was an idiot and sold internationally in the first place/didn't bother to go on a computer to enable the Global shipping program/didn't block off Saudi Arabia/didn't want to pay to track it. That whole scenario from top to bottom is what is making eBay shit.
Why did you put friend in quotes?

Anyway, logged in today and it seems ebay has gotten rid of their policy system. Shipping policies, payment policies, etc. They are just not there anymore when I go to list an item.

Also, an annoying thing: when I list an item, not only is Best Offer automatically checked in like other here reported, but my quantity is always at '2' which is weird.

She could leave a neg out of spite. Feedback reversal is possible, but its just a mess of a process(many sellers have said ebay sided with buyers even with proof, etc). In this case, I would try to offer a partial refund to compensate for the "mistake". Even if it was her fault and be done with it.

Problem is, even if she is satisfied with that and leaves a neutral, it still counts negatively against you I believe. Either a positive or no feedback is what you want. You could also get a defect if a case is opened regardless of who is right.
yea, I am hoping she just drops the whole matter and leaves me the hell alone. I don't care about positive feedback at this point, just want to avoid some stupid shit.

I actually had someone leave me a neutral feedback a few months ago consisting of "." What the hell is that all about lol.

Its kind of funny, on this site my FB is super, but in selling on ebay for 4 months I have 1 neutral and 1 potentially angry person whom could go really bad on me, even though I didn't do anything wrong.

What's more important, feedback or the money? If it's the former, chalk it up as a loss and work out a partial refund to her satisfaction. If it's the money, hold your ground. If she files a dispute with PayPal, she'll have to return the item at her cost anyway. Sucks working with people, but it's a hazard of selling.

yea, I am hoping she just drops the whole matter and leaves me the hell alone. I don't care about positive feedback at this point, just want to avoid some stupid shit.

I actually had someone leave me a neutral feedback a few months ago consisting of "." What the hell is that all about lol.

Its kind of funny, on this site my FB is super, but in selling on ebay for 4 months I have 1 neutral and 1 potentially angry person whom could go really bad on me, even though I didn't do anything wrong.
Did she send you a message with one of those options that automatically opens a case?

If not I'd just do nothing further and wait to see if she opens a SNAD case.

If she does that, I think there's a pre-set option you can choose that will tell the seller to send the item back for a refund. (Unless eBay did away with that.) Don't get into her bait about the price being too much to ship them back. She's trying to play you.

What's more important, feedback or the money? If it's the former, chalk it up as a loss and work out a partial refund to her satisfaction. If it's the money, hold your ground. If she files a dispute with PayPal, she'll have to return the item at her cost anyway. Sucks working with people, but it's a hazard of selling.
Honestly, I don't care about the money so much (it was only like 20 bucks total with shipping) and as I am trying to establish myself as a seller on there, feedback is more important. My girlfriend (whom was selling it on my account), is much more concerned with the cash. Don't date people you work with lol.

I suppose it won't hurt to ask her what she thinks is a satisfactory solution, but if she ask for a refund without my item being returned I am not interested. It sounded like she wasn't into the idea of any refund that would leave her spending money to send them back, but I could be interpreting that wrong.

It does suck working with some people, but you are right- it comes with the territory

Did she send you a message with one of those options that automatically opens a case?

If she does that, I think there's a pre-set option you can choose that will tell the seller to send the item back for a refund. (Unless eBay did away with that.) Don't get into her bait about the price being too much to ship them back. She's trying to play you.
No, it was just an "that solution is patently ridiculous, so I won't be taking part in that solution". No case has been opened, PP has not emailed me about the shit hitting the fan.

Thanks guys!!!

Remember that an opened case will count as a defect, even if its found in your favor(I have one, unfortunately).

I think you could actually get that neutral removed.

You aren't the only one, the big time eBay sellers go through this on a daily basis. Since its even easier now to kick a seller off eBay or take away the TRS, etc. Going to be lots of problems in the future.

Just an FYI, I got a defect for an INR(Item Not Received) case. Problem was USPS was taking longer than expected because of weather in New Jersey. Few days later he got the item, left me positive feedback. But instead of him sending me a message, he opened a case for it, and its now a defect I can't get rid of. Even though I had no control over it.

I do think SNAD will require her to resend for refund. But like "thelonepig" said, its either feedback or the money.

If you pick this option, you'll know for a fact she'll leave a neg because she didn't get what she wanted. If she decides not to send for refund, probably will leave a neg anyways. Slight chance with a partial she'll be happy and leave nothing. Or you could try and fight it, and hope eBay sides with you. You'll have to call to get the bad feedback and the defect from the case removed(if they'll listen).

But after this is over and done, make sure to put her on your blocked list. ;)

I know people like to think big picture with ebay, but every once in a while it is nice to stand up to an idiot or scammer. Take the lump of a feedback, rather than getting on your knees and taking it in the rear.

It used to be that way, but lately I've been standing up to buyers and am perfectly willing to risk the feedback and my account. Eventually I was just sick at myself for bending over backwards to please idiots. Not going to do it anymore.

Honestly, I don't care about the money so much (it was only like 20 bucks total with shipping) and as I am trying to establish myself as a seller on there, feedback is more important. My girlfriend (whom was selling it on my account), is much more concerned with the cash. Don't date people you work with lol.

I suppose it won't hurt to ask her what she thinks is a satisfactory solution, but if she ask for a refund without my item being returned I am not interested. It sounded like she wasn't into the idea of any refund that would leave her spending money to send them back, but I could be interpreting that wrong.

It does suck working with some people, but you are right- it comes with the territory

No, it was just an "that solution is patently ridiculous, so I won't be taking part in that solution". No case has been opened, PP has not emailed me about the shit hitting the fan.

Thanks guys!!!
Yeah then I'd do nothing unless/until she opens a case. If you choose money over feedback, remember you can leave a public response to her feedback (in very few characters) where you can try and make her look bad. And if she does return the shoes on her own dime, make sure to video tape yourself opening the box since she might ship you back a phone book instead.

I know people like to think big picture with ebay, but every once in a while it is nice to stand up to an idiot or scammer. Take the lump of a feedback, rather than getting on your knees and taking it in the rear.

It used to be that way, but lately I've been standing up to buyers and am perfectly willing to risk the feedback and my account. Eventually I was just sick at myself for bending over backwards to please idiots. Not going to do it anymore.
Same here. If I mess up then I usually just refund them, but with people jerking me around I tell them flat out return the item.

I've had 3 people say they wanted a refund but they refused to return the item. One guy went as far as to say he did send it but then it was returned back to him as non-deliverable, but ignored me when I asked for tracking, a picture, etc. Eventually he and the other people just disappeared.

Same with people from other countries buying DVDs and games. I always check with people about importing stuff, and two after saying it was fine then complained a month later saying it wouldn't work on their stuff and wanted their money back. I told them they gotta send it back overseas and I wasn't going to just refund them for not knowing regions on DVDs after I checked with them.

Most people are lazy and once you stand up to them they disappear. I haven't gotten a single negative this year with 300+ feedback in the last 12 months.

Buyer doesn't have a confirmed paypal address to ship to. 14 feedback 100%....think it's okay to ship it? I messaged him asking if he could confirm his address but he hasn't responded.

Buyer doesn't have a confirmed paypal address to ship to. 14 feedback 100%....think it's okay to ship it? I messaged him asking if he could confirm his address but he hasn't responded.
I wouldn't risk it.

He might be drop shipping. Then if it gets to his buyer, he could file a INR, and you'll lose.

I wouldn't risk it.

He might be drop shipping. Then if it gets to his buyer, he could file a INR, and you'll lose.
So what do I do if he doesn't respond by tomorrow? I've never had this happen before :(

What worries me is the address...it's just weird I've never seen anything like it.

Name withheld
4411 NW 74th Ave
# GEO10562
Miami, FL 33166
United States

The bold part is confusing me....I asked a friend who sells on ebay for a living basically and he doesn't know what it is either.

bread's done
Back